Just in Case - Inventory Hoarding

10 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

One thing I got rid of a long time ago was all the system layer clothing and flexi prim dresses and skirts.

I undertook the onerous task of trying on EVERY piece of system layer clothing I had back when mesh came out to see which textures were blurry and which were clear. Believe it or not, some old system layers still work and look good.  Some Sn@tch layers still look great, and I wear them with/under mesh jackets a lot.  Nuve appears to be moving into the BOM clothing layer market of late with their TSS offerings (lingerie and swimsuits thus far). 

I've been on an inventory purge spree lately, getting rid of things I can't, for the life of me, figure out why I kept in the first place. 99% of it is gifts,  but I can only think I must have just unboxed it and tossed it into the appropriate folder rather than looking at it and saying, "I'd never wear that in a million years."  This is for clothing only though. I dread tackling all of the other stuff. 

• Like 4

yeah, I guess I'm a hoarder.  I spend so little time in SL these days that I hardly ever bother with inventory maintenance.  On the plus side, I'm not buying much anymore either so at least the problem isn't growing.

• Like 3

SL invites hoarding so I try to keep a check on things as I go along. All the body types I know for sure I'll never need, plus unpacker scripts, notecards, LM's, HUD pics and all the other useless content get dumped immediately before moving that new and clean folder into its desired location in my tree.

On my new alt (which has an Altamura body - by choice) means my inventory won't grow anywhere close to my other accounts which all have Maitreya, but for some reason I continue to keep the Maitreya versions even though I keep telling myself this alt is for Altamura only. Maybe the LaraX subconsciously put me off another Maitreya body. All I know is all the other bodies currently around do not appeal to me at all, not one iota.

On the subject of classic layers, or BoM as we now know it, having a body with only a small following and generally outdated style of clothing means that several of my recent purchases have been Bom/classic layers. There is some fine Altamura clothing still to be found but the inventory will remain much smaller. 

• Thanks 2

When I buy any clothing I delete everything but the parts for my Tonic Fine, so that’s the only clothing I have.
I don’t build anything so I don’t have folders of building material and my Textures are rather limited.
I still have a some of my system clothing and I like appliers because of materials, and the fact that they fit under mesh clothing, both system and appliers are mostly lingerie.
I have some mesh hair but I never leave the house with it, I always use my flexi hair and I have used the same hair for years, its me, can’t help it.
After reading that you would think my inventory would be rather small but I’m around 97k and I’m fighting to keep below 100k. But I must be hoarding something just not sure what, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2024 at 7:40 AM, graceblakeley said:

On my new alt (which has an Altamura body - by choice) means my inventory won't grow anywhere close to my other accounts which all have Maitreya

.. [blah blah]

Oh dear, oh dear.

Having just purchased the SnowRabbit W01X from the Skin Fair I couldn't help myself... I bought the Maitreya body for my new alt to go with it as well.

It's a few months old now but I couldn't hold out any longer despite liking the Altamura a lot.

I'm dropping this here because I still intend to keep the inventory levels low as I'm sticking with LaraX clothing only for this alt and intend on not going nuts on outfits (famous last words).

Same old story. What starts as another alt due to the opportunities of seasonal gifts and giveaways with the intention of keeping things simple she turns into another fully fledged bells & whistles avatar. I love all my alts so it's not an issue, but the drop-down list of names at login is getting a bit cumbersome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graceblakeley said:

Oh dear, oh dear.

Having just purchased the SnowRabbit W01X from the Skin Fair I couldn't help myself... I bought the Maitreya body for my new alt to go with it as well.

It's a few months old now but I couldn't hold out any longer despite liking the Altamura a lot.

I'm dropping this here because I still intend to keep the inventory levels low as I'm sticking with LaraX clothing only for this alt and intend on not going nuts on outfits (famous last words).

Same old story. What starts as another alt due to the opportunities of seasonal gifts and giveaways with the intention of keeping things simple she turns into another fully fledged bells & whistles avatar. I love all my alts so it's not an issue, but the drop-down list of names at login is getting a bit cumbersome.

Just a note. If you have packages with other sizes of mesh clothing, try them on LaraX. I find Legacy often fits for jeans or tops that cover the shoulders & back. Other sizes that may sometimes fit are Belleza Isis, GenX Classic, and Lara classic. Strappy mesh clothes such as bathing suits or lingerie usually don't fit if they aren't made for LaraX.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 10:21 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

Do you have a hard time deleting these kinds of inventory? Or do you regularly clear out your old inventory if you don't use it?

Some of us never do it... 😭

trash.jpg.3a23d67e59864adf78acd3ecf407f56c.jpg

This is really bad. Need to fix that inventory and get rid of old junk and demos.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clem Marques said:

Some of us never do it... 😭

trash.jpg.3a23d67e59864adf78acd3ecf407f56c.jpg

This is really bad. Need to fix that inventory and get rid of old junk and demos.

I've seen others post bigger inventories in groups inworld, but I've also been told by a Linden that over 100,000 items, we're more likely to have items disappear.

You have nothing in your Body Parts folder? Start by putting your folders for mesh bodies, heads, skins, shapes, brows, eyes, hair, tattoos, and any makeup in there. Creating a more compact Inventory tree is the first step to getting inventory under control. Put all your demos into a Demos folder too.

Then delete scripts you don't need & duplicate LMs. Just those few steps will make a big difference in reducing your Inventory total.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 4:03 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

I've seen others post bigger inventories in groups inworld, but I've also been told by a Linden that over 100,000 items, we're more likely to have items disappear.

You have nothing in your Body Parts folder? Start by putting your folders for mesh bodies, heads, skins, shapes, brows, eyes, hair, tattoos, and any makeup in there. Creating a more compact Inventory tree is the first step to getting inventory under control. Put all your demos into a Demos folder too.

Then delete scripts you don't need & duplicate LMs. Just those few steps will make a big difference in reducing your Inventory total.

Followed your advice. On top of that, I deleted all demos I no longer needed, put old pictures in boxes, and deleted all clothes that don't fit the bodies I use (Legacy and Jake). Also organized everything, and got rid of some old prim junk that I no longer needed.

muchbetter.jpg.70451c8734a64ddd120f41fbfb0bf8df.jpg

Things are much better now. Easier to find items. Plus, I used to nearly crash my viewer when I tried to search for something, and that no longer happens. Organizing a messy inventory is such a huge task, but its worth it. I recommend doing it.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Great work! You're under 100,000 already.

Do you need to specify "My" in the titles? Who else's stuff would it be? Unless you created them?

Now you can make all those new folders into subfolders within the System folders.

Extra hint:  ! at the front of a folder name goes above * .

Edited by Persephone Emerald

7 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

"My" in the titles? Who else's stuff would it be? Unless you created them?

Good point, I definitely didn't create them 🤣 I'll remove the "My"s

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Extra hint:  ! at the front of a folder name goes above * .

Nice, I used the ** to keep the organized folders separate from new items as I unpack them. The ! looks better. I'll move some of them to the system folders.

• Like 2

I am most definitely a hoarder in SL I admit it. I try I really do but who knows when I will need that invisiprim shoe again!! 

however I have been using the properties window to snapshot what an object is and that helps. 

Edited by SpiritSparrow Skydancer
  • Like 1

LL could help hoarders.
A cap on the number of items in an inventory. And then make bigger inventories part of the plus and premium plans.

I'll show myself out.
/ me starts to run fast again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Over 100k here. I don't discard anything really.

So long as its still organized it seems to work, I move things into the appropriate folder as soon as I unpack them but of course getting a zillion versions of each thing still happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

LL could help hoarders.
A cap on the number of items in an inventory. And then make bigger inventories part of the plus and premium plans.

I'll show myself out.
/ me starts to run fast again.

You laugh, but if LL had imagined how easily inventories could get out of control they might have put a cap on the free accounts.

• Like 1

For what it's worth I don't imagine the database that is the entire SL userbase's inventory (it's all just links) amounts to much more than a few gigabytes... maybe more? hard to say, I'm no expert.

I have always wondered what SL's actual storage use is, the quantity of assets uploaded over 21 years etc. Would be nice if LL let us nerd out a bit with some actual figures.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clem Marques said:

Followed your advice. On top of that, I deleted all demos I no longer needed, put old pictures in boxes, and deleted all clothes that don't fit the bodies I use (Legacy and Jake). Also organized everything, and got rid of some old prim junk that I no longer needed.

muchbetter.jpg.70451c8734a64ddd120f41fbfb0bf8df.jpg

Things are much better now. Easier to find items. Plus, I used to nearly crash my viewer when I tried to search for something, and that no longer happens. Organizing a messy inventory is such a huge task, but its worth it. I recommend doing it.

Thanks for the help.

I have ADHD not OCD It would take me years to do that! But it sure looks nice!! 

not saying you have OCD. Btw. But I do have ADHD.. 

• Like 2

On this topic it would be nice if the Inventory could be accessed using some sort of web API, then someone smarter than me could write some sort of web app that allows me to organize it better when I'm idly watching YouTube or sometimes even 'working'... I'm only ever in-world for a couple of hours at a time but I'm on my computer a *lot* more.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

sort-word-on-keyboard-button-free-photo.jpg

That would be handy to manage the SL inventory.

Coming soon :)

Actually when i think about it what a perfect and entirely easy task for an AI... it could even inspect each item to determine what it is if the name doesn't give it away.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

On this topic it would be nice if the Inventory could be accessed using some sort of web API, then someone smarter than me could write some sort of web app that allows me to organize it better when I'm idly watching YouTube or sometimes even 'working'... I'm only ever in-world for a couple of hours at a time but I'm on my computer a *lot* more.

This could even become a job opportunity for people who are really good at organizing inventories if it were possible. Would be much better to just hire someone who knows what they're doing instead of spending hours and hours working on it, and struggling 😅

• Like 2