Are we ever gonna be able to hide account age?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 222 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I think what it comes down to really is personal preference. Different people consider different things more personal, different things some residents are more comfortable sharing than others. Residents tend to lead very different SecondLive's to each other. What seems reasonable to share to one is not reasonable to another. In the end, my personal feeling is its best to just let residents choose what they want to share. It doesn't really do any harm and prevents hard feelings from people who might otherwise feel intentionally excluded in some way or another.

That's why I used "IMHO"!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kyrie Deka said:

it continues to amaze me how users, even myself, momentarily forget this is a cartoon made-up whatever-you-wanna-roleplay-today thing at every login.  Year after year.  And that rereading stuff from that mindset just doesn't make arguing that important about RL stuff like [insert word here].  Visible cartoony rez date gives ya anxiety?  Be kind to your body I say!  What a great life SL is, when ya gotta make up something to be stressed about I guess, so congrats!  Rez day just don't mean nothin but that ya could type on that date.  

Are you suggesting it's a GAME?

IMG_9067.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

LL never intended for account age to be something where avatars have a sense of 'oldness' but SL has existed for so long that it does. Account age doesn't give out real age but it does give users a perceived difference of age. We haven't seen this sort of thing in online virtual worlds or in MMOGs because most other places either die out before account age difference can be perceived or are so new that account age doesn't matter.  It's an interesting phenomena that I think LL should keep because it makes SL unique. 

This is exactly why people are claiming it's a non-issue. It's not like it has been a problem since  SL started. It becomes more of an apparent problem as SL ages. As we age. D:<

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

@Extrude Ragu, @Solar Legion

Asking for clarification is certainly appropriate in a forum discussion, but because some people prefer to just leave an emoji reaction, rather than type out a response, it's generally advisable to not ask what they intended to mean with their emoji. Some people like to leave emojis that are intentionally vague or confusing. It's also possible to accidentally check the wrong emoji. Rather than getting upset about why they left a particular emoji response, it's better to just ignore it.

As for taking a discussion to private messages, I find this to be most helpful when politely asking for clarification, for information that might not be appreciated on the public forum, or suggestions for changes someone might make to a thread title, thread location, or post. Once the exchange has already become heated publically, it rarely gets better in private, unless one of the participants wants to apologize.

Since i'm newer in the forum, I actually use the laughing emoji when something is funny. I've noticed some specific users however, use it as a " I'm laughing AT you" emoji. Repeatedly. Malicious. 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

"The School Of Over-Complicated Solutions In Search Of A Non-Problem" approach to feature requests.

Filing Jira's for such "solutions" to problems that 99.99999 % of SecondLifers don't have and don't care about.

Claiming that any poster who DARES to disagree with inane ideas based on wild assumptions  is "negative and contributes nothing to the forum".

There's THREE reasons why people might subject another person's posts to well deserved sarcastic mocking laughter.

One could also add posting laughable garbage, then whining when the laughable garbage gets laughed at, then demanding to know what's laughable about the laughable garbage, when that has already been made abundantly clear earlier in the thread.

Great synopsis!

2 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

This is exactly why people are claiming it's a non-issue. It's not like it has been a problem since  SL started. It becomes more of an apparent problem as SL ages. As we age. D:<

You are the only one making an issue out of it. And yes we age, SL ages, the length of time we are in SL changes. That is all part of life.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

You are the only one making an issue out of it. And yes we age, SL ages, the length of time we are in SL changes. That is all part of life.

Assuming everyone else knows the wall of resistance they'll be met with by the council of forum judges, so they don't even bother asking; they just make an alt. LOL.

1 minute ago, Midnoot said:

Assuming everyone else knows the wall of resistance they'll be met with by the council of forum judges, so they don't even bother asking; they just make an alt. LOL.

Well can you prove that? Can you prove that people are getting alts, cause they somehow have an issue with their SL age? Show me some proof this is why they do this. I mean most of the people I know create alts just for fun, just to make an opposite gendered account, for store accounts. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

Dude.

If it were a big issue - don't you think it would come up more often? You just said you're "newer in the Forum", so how would you know that it hasn't really come  up?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I have a great idea! Since there is apparently extremely little call for hiding account age: Charge a fee to do it!!

IMG_9053.jpeg

8 hours ago, Midnoot said:

We can even buy a new name at ANY time :'D..

Give me the option to BUY private account age. I'll do it in a heartbeat. You hear that LL?

9 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

Since i'm newer in the forum, I actually use the laughing emoji when something is funny. I've noticed some specific users however, use it as a " I'm laughing AT you" emoji. Repeatedly. Malicious. 😛

I believe it was suggested a while back that the inappropriate use of the laughing emijo be reportable as harassment. I’m pretty sure the person making the suggestion was laughed it 😂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

That's terrible logic. Nobody is complaining because they must be reluctant to complain. This is called "projecting".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Dude.

If it were a big issue - don't you think it would come up more often? You just said you're "newer in the Forum", so how would you know that it hasn't really come  up?

If whether or not we should be able to hide our account age had come up as an issue before on the forums, it would've been posted in my "Warning: Forum Poop or Quagmire Ahead" thread. We have exhausted pretty much every SL issue that commonly comes up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

I'd prefer to state my views once on particular topics as frankly I see little point in rehashing things or tackling what amounts to the exact same arguments (being polite on that for some) with differences in wording.

I've found Zal's over the top method to often be just that on some topics - over the top and unnecessary.

So going through all of my posts one by one just to put a laughing face on it isn't over the top and unnecessary? I never thought I'd find myself defending Zal, but you paint yourself as reasonable. If you found my opinions laughable you would have said it once and moved on. You're aware that every time you click one of those buttons it  creates a notification right? So when you go through and do it 5, 6, 10 times it is like harassing me in a way? Yes? Can you see why I might be prompted to react and ask why you are doing it?

16 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

So going through all of my posts one by one just to put a laughing face on it isn't over the top and unnecessary? I never thought I'd find myself defending Zal, but you paint yourself as reasonable. If you found my opinions laughable you would have said it once and moved on. You're aware that every time you click one of those buttons it  creates a notification right? So when you go through and do it 5, 6, 10 times it is like harassing me in a way? Yes? Can you see why I might be prompted to react and ask why you are doing it?

I believe you can turn off getting a notification when someone reacts to one of your posts.

notifications.png

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

People will sometimes react in a childish or overly reactive way. Telling them that they're over-reacting or acting childishly seldom changes their behavior. I think the best we can hope for in a public forum is that other people see their behavior and take note of it.

I've had someone go back and put confused emojis on a bunch of my posts that had nothing to do with the post they actually took exception to. That kind of behavior just shows that they're being over-reactive and childish. It doesn't actually render a verdict on anything I posted.

Within certain limitations, none of us are obligated on this forum to contribute to a polite, fair and thoughtful discussion. If someone wanted to post nothing but 💩 emojis, they could probably do that, but then they'd look like a toddler, rather than an adult.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If whether or not we should be able to hide our account age had come up as an issue before on the forums, it would've been posted in my "Warning: Forum Poop or Quagmire Ahead" thread. We have exhausted pretty much every SL issue that commonly comes up.

I posted it there yesterday, I think.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I’ve not noticed that much with boys, but the number of girls that are 18 or 21 is staggering. 😂

What? You don't tell everyone you're 21 again when your b-day hits? I thought everyone did that. And here I thought I was the only one who didn't.

I just tell people, "yeeeeah... I'm old."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

You assume I intentionally went through/went back to do so. I did not.

You also assume that I only found a singular response to be laughable. I did not.

So no, I do not see it as harassing in any way whatsoever as I was reacting to posts as I read them. The action was not taken to be deliberately pestering or annoying.

If I caused you worry or distress I apologize.

For the record: In an instance such as this, my reaction is for the message, not the messenger and it does not matter whom that is.I have even reacted this way to Moles and the odd Linden in some threads - sometimes where admonishments that were unnecessary were levied, sometimes where comments were made after the removal of posts that, were they kept, would have shown some members true colors and sometimes when a thread is locked for varied 'reasons' that I personally find laughable.

So do be assured that I am being honest in the apology.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 222 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.