Are we ever gonna be able to hide account age?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think the whole 'hiding' mindset is unproductive.

Just because I don't choose to share with you what I ate for breakfast doesn't mean I'm hiding it, does it?

The people who care about account age will either ask if they want to know or simply seek someone who does share that information.

We don't all have to make our shower curtains see-through just to please the 'nothing to hide, nothing to worry about' people. It's okay to not want to share personal information with strangers on the Internet. Nobody here really has a right to know, they're not exactly dating you are they.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Really, while I think scripts and such should be able to detect an avatar's age for utilitarian purposes, I do feel it should be optional to reveal your join date.

Not because hiding or not hiding whatsits, but because people just really like having the option of revealing such things. Like how if we had an option for showing what country we lived in, some would immediately enable it, and some would just leave it unticked, and some would try to get it to display Japan instead of the US.

All part of the fun, really.

• Like 4

Yes I'd personally really like to be able to share my timezone and have a clock on my profile so people stop expecting me to be awake at 4am (Oh wait.. look at the time..)

But counter intuitively I'd be pretty upset if I was forced to share that information.I like things to be my own choice :)

• Like 4

On that same line of thought, I think that LL placing our premium status in our profiles is over-sharing and I've never been comfortable with the idea that how much money I pay LL each month is effectively published on my profile. I fear it also makes me look holier than thou to other guests. If it were my choice I probably wouldn't have chosen to feature it on my profile.

LL has a habit of oversharing things on our behalf it seems.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Oh, just like extra big tuckuses!

And lips like carp or sturgeons. The tuchus is where they keep the caviar.

Some just can't help but cling to the Piscean Age, is all.

*begins work on some proper, mother-of-pearl caviar spoons, prepares to become SL rich again*

37 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

On that same line of thought, I think that LL placing our premium status in our profiles is over-sharing and I've never been comfortable with the idea that how much money I pay LL each month is effectively published on my profile. I fear it also makes me look holier than thou to other guests. If it were my choice I probably wouldn't have chosen to feature it on my profile.

Yes. When someone first told me that they could tell that I was a premium account , it was a bit of a shock. I don't like people knowing this info either. =_=... another thing that's none of anyone's business except the account owner.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Midnoot said:

Yes. When someone first told me that they could tell that I was a premium account , it was a bit of a shock. I don't like people knowing this info either. =_=... another thing that's none of anyone's business except the account owner.

I can see some benefit to knowing an account's age, such as in how to talk with someone who's probably new vs. an old-timer. I don't see any benefit to knowing someone's account status except for wannabe sugar babies and those who are looking for someone to catfish. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
except not expect
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's an interesting question. Personally, I'd say it has a few advantages, and it's also nice to get or give a "Happy SL Birthday".

However, I think it's quite possible that such things, along others, might "get PCd" at some point, with "age harassment" reasoning.

Some time ago, I noticed that one of my "fun accounts" didn't show creation date or anything the like, forgot which one (don't we have so many...), Steam? Discord?, no, don't remember, but I remember that I was surprised, as you often can see, and I liked that you could not, and it wasn't a platform where I ever noticed any "disadvantages" due to account age being shown, just a general, "oh, nice that you can't see this" feel.

On pondering this, it's probably to do with the fact that it's kind of personal info, like gender, country of residence, etc., which I generally also don't want shown on "for fun" accounts by default. There are platforms, where you can show or hide your (rl) birthdate and gender, I think, no real reason that you shouldn't be able to in SL.

Then again, if by choice option, there'll be "if they don't show it, they have an evil reason, surely thry are a newb/pretend to be a newb but aren't/are on SL since two decades and a century old im.RL/..." people.

You can't win the game, be it the SL or RL game.

If I could choose between "hiding" only one of my account age or payment info, payment info, it would be.

Edited by InnerCity Elf
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I can see some benefit to knowing an account's age, such as in how to talk with someone who's probably new vs. an old-timer. I don't see any benefit to knowing someone's account status expect for wannabe sugar babies and those who are looking for someone to catfish. 

I stopped talking to new accounts like they're new . Found out I was wasting my breath on alts of older users p:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

Most people don't bother to look at account age unless it comes up in conversation. 

How can anyone not see account age, its right there when you bring up their profile. I always make a point of looking at it. 

I’m always looking at profiles, including 100% of the time when im interacting with someone.

Honestly i’ll be quicker to judge you by the completeness of your profile than your rezz date.

Ten years old and no profile picture, seriously?

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I can see some benefit to knowing an account's age, such as in how to talk with someone who's probably new vs. an old-timer. I don't see any benefit to knowing someone's account status expect for wannabe sugar babies and those who are looking for someone to catfish. 

I have to agree that it should be optional, it's like having a social class sticker on your forehead. Some people might really really like having such a thing visible, but some might prefer not to stick out like a sore thumb in certain company, as well.

Protip: Whenever possible, do not look like a wealthy tourist when travelling abroad.

And BilliJo is right. Empty profile? Go on, be invisible, see if I care. Not gonna message ya, either way. It's not "mysterious", it's ughhh.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Midnoot said:

Well, in RL, we don't have to tell you our age. People confuse me for being 10 years younger than I actually am, I could tell them I'm a wee lad out of highschool and they'd believe it.

Theresa Tennyson smiles.

Of course they would.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

The amount of boys who have 28 or 20 something on their profile that don't seem to ever get older is peculiar.  Especially when you've known them for some years and they still haven't hit 30 yet.  

I’ve not noticed that much with boys, but the number of girls that are 18 or 21 is staggering. 😂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

they dont show premium status in firestorm do they? at least i’ve never noticed it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

There is most definitely a forum clique, 50% of which wouldn't have an opinion unless someone from the clique tells then what it is!

ummm and RL is different?

when im home ill edit this post and add the “I support the current thing” picture I have. (thank you Elon Musk)

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Midnoot said:

are they perhaps confusing premium account status with payment info on file?

Honestly, if it ever becomes an option to hide it and I see you've hidden it, I'll avoid you so maybe it's a good thing.   A way to weed out those who are probably going to lie about their RL age for some reason as I see no other GOOD reason for it to be hidden.  

The thing is, I don't even care how old you are or what gender.  If you tell me nothing, I won't ask.  If you tell me something and it's a blatant lie, it's the lying that's a problem.  When I found out someone I dated was actually a female in RL, it wasn't them being a woman that bothered me but that they lied.  If they had never said they were a 65 yr old man, I would have just accepted them as they appeared.   Same goes.for RL.age.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.