Are we ever gonna be able to hide account age?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

My point was when we disagreed with him, he acted like we were trying to silence him and even infringe on his rights. Which was a reach, we were just calling out his bad take and disagreeing with him. That was not in fact even silencing him. 

Over the years I've noticed that it's usually the ones who scream "you/they are trying to silence me" the loudest are usually involved in the most grief.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's weird how many assumptions people will come up with for the reasoning behind this request.

If i'm being completely honest,  it's about keeping SL in SL at this point. I don't want to meet people outside of SL, despite enjoying socializing with a few of them. I don't plan to ever meet them, so the catfish thing is off the table. BUT when someone can determine your age,gender, location, etc,  It changes quite a few factors in your experience in world. Some may not have observed this, or care to observe it, but it's true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Dog-years don't equate to human years in a straight correlation.  The first year brings a wolf to what is socially equivalent to being a teenager among humans. For dogs (essentially domesticated wolves), the first year brings them to physical maturity, when they could get pregnant and have their first litter, which is also equivalent for a human teenager being able to get pregnant and have a child. Teenagers are physically mature, but not yet socially mature. After the first year in a dog's or wolf's life, then we could compare their expected lifespan to a human lifespan more directly, for instance 10 years for a dog vs. 80 years for a human.

Avatar lifespan might be similar. Do we mature faster in the first year of our avatar's life? Do we go through a prime when we're more active, settle down in our middle years, and then become either wise or senile in our old age?

If 1 year in SL is equivalent to 4 years in RL, then I'd be 52, which sounds about right. 😄 

Neither domesticated dog breeds nor wolves in the wild reach full growth until they are 2 years old in human terms. A 2-year-old dog is an adolescent. It sounds contradictory but in reality, it isn't. The physical age is 2, the "mental" age is of a teen.

I'm the same age in RL and SL. My main account's age is ancient in SL terms. My avatar's ages are much younger. 

My what a conundrum.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The only thing they can do is GUESS that you're over 30 on your 17 yrs old account.  Whoopie!

20* year old account.

And we need to face the fact that it is not a guess at this point. You can safely assume that most people who have a 20 year old account are over 30.

Edited by Midnoot
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

It's weird how many assumptions people will come up with for the reasoning behind this request.

If i'm being completely honest,  it's about keeping SL in SL at this point. I don't want to meet people outside of SL, despite enjoying socializing with a few of them. I don't plan to ever meet them, so the catfish thing is off the table. BUT when someone can determine your age,gender, location, etc,  It changes quite a few factors in your experience in world. Some may not have observed this, or care to observe it, but it's true.

Most people in SL that want to keep SL and RL separate (not meeting in RL etc.) are quite successful at keeping it that way. Those that don't either accept they didn't quite keep it that way or they leave SL. I have to wonder why you seem to have such a problem doing the same.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Most people in SL that want to keep SL and RL separate (not meeting in RL etc.) are quite successful at keeping it that way. Those that don't either accept they didn't quite keep it that way or they leave SL. I have to wonder why you seem to have such a problem doing the same.

I don't keep them 100% separate, because that's an impossibility. You WILL end up sharing something real about yourself whether you want to or not. And that's how it should be, unless you enjoy being a soulless  NPC. ( RP accounts who never come out of character for example :P)

However, I don't plan to ever make contact with the people from SL in RL. My opinions, my interactions, my friendships in SL are genuine, as long as they don't demand that they know my RL age, gender, location, etc. Things that most of us find irrelevant. My friends understand and have the same perspective that we aren't going beyond SL. Other games? Sure, voice chat sometimes, sure, discord, steam, etc? Sure. RL? NO. :'D

That being said, having profile information such as account age hidden, only expedites the process of me eliminating those who require irrelevant information in order to be friends.

Edited by Midnoot
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

RL age, gender, location, etc. Things that most of us find irrelevant.

Yep, most people do find those things irrelevant.  So why ask to hide something most people couldn't care less about?  Seems LL might have a few other more important things to do than address non issues.

People, in my experience, seldom even bother reading profiles.  Don't know how many times I've been asked if I'm married or my time zone when that info is right there on my 1st life tab.  And you'd think the "totally unverified" would be a clue that I don't voice chat but hey, they ask that, too.

Hiding account age is not going to keep idiots from being idiots.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yep, most people do find those things irrelevant.  So why ask to hide something most people couldn't care less about?  Seems LL might have a few other more important things to do than address non issues.

People, in my experience, seldom even bother reading profiles.  Don't know how many times I've been asked if I'm married or my time zone when that info is right there on my 1st life tab.  And you'd think the "totally unverified" would be a clue that I don't voice chat but hey, they ask that, too.

Hiding account age is not going to keep idiots from being idiots.  

It mitigates :'D!

1 minute ago, Midnoot said:

It mitigates :'D!

I seriously doubt that.  I have in my profile that I'm not looking for the slex but I still get a few propositions.  Having an option to hide your account age will only, IMO, create more of an issue for you since people will assume you're hiding it for reasons.  So, you'll get rid of one non issue and have yet another.  

• Like 2

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

I seriously doubt that.  I have in my profile that I'm not looking for the slex but I still get a few propositions.  Having an option to hide your account age will only, IMO, create more of an issue for you since people will assume you're hiding it for reasons.  So, you'll get rid of one non issue and have yet another.  

* sees my suspicious profile *  

" I better not try to be friends with that   person. They seem a little  . " 

Crisis avoided. <3. Please give.

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The crowd who avoids you because they think you're hiding something and the crowd that still tries to **** you because your avatar is hot, are 2 completely different crowds. I mean, I still wanna avoid them both though :p..

1 hour ago, Midnoot said:

If you know , you know. It's not you tho.

Um you clearly confusing malicious with someone being direct and critical of your opinion. How is that malicious. As I stated before, I have had people laugh me off the microphone so to speak. Due to my own stupid opinions. That is just part of the forums. If you don't like it, you don't have to participate. It's really that simple. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

The crowd who avoids you because they think you're hiding something and the crowd that still tries to **** you because your avatar is hot, are 2 completely different crowds. I mean, I still wanna avoid them both though :p..

then just avoid them, no need to add a function for something that is just easily avoidable. I mean you have so many ways to do that. Blocking, Muting, derendering, tping etc. I don't see a reason to hide the age, and you have presented no really good reason as to why we should. And I offered solutions to avoid all that. I mean it ain't that hard to do any of that. 

2 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

20 is pretty ancient for an avatar.  I think people would treat you different even if it was just to ask you what keeps you in SL.

But how bad is it really to be asked what keeps you in SL for that long? I mean it's just a simple and honest question. I have asked many of my friends who have been around for that long. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

But the crowd that avoids you because of your account age will more than likely avoid you for hiding it, too.   Why exactly is it that you think your account age attracts or makes people avoid you.  If they're avoiding you, how would you even know.  Do those attracted say it was because your account was old?  

Sorry but I just can't see the issue.  At least no issue important enough to require a change.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

But the crowd that avoids you because of your account age will more than likely avoid you for hiding it, too.   Why exactly is it that you think your account age attracts or makes people avoid you.  If they're avoiding you, how would you even know.  Do those attracted say it was because your account was old?  

Sorry but I just can't see the issue.  At least no issue important enough to require a change.

The OP comes off as he thinks that his Avi age is his whole personality. I am sorry, but this is what it's giving me. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

But how bad is it really to be asked what keeps you in SL for that long? I mean it's just a simple and honest question. I have asked many of my friends who have been around for that long. 

What is their answer then? That should give you a hint.

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Sorry if I didn't clarify . That's who I want to avoid me . The people who think it's suspicious for me to enjoy privacy p:.

3 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

Sorry if I didn't clarify . That's who I want to avoid me . The people who think it's suspicious for me to enjoy privacy p:.

Um but how is this infringing on your privacy? It just says how long you have been in SL, that is it. It doesn't give out any other info about you. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.