How to get 5 real choices when selecting a new Linden Home (Premium)

Lahaina Jonstone

A few months ago I had an avatar who was going to bump back to basic in 6 weeks, so I decided to have him try to catch a nice fantasy home with a rez zone nearby.   I intended to extend his Premium if he managed to catch one.  Didn't happen.

I tried most days of the week, and after getting the same 3 homes over and over decided to space my tries out over a full day.  That helped a little, but I still saw the same set of homes over and over and OVER, with a sprinkling of different homes.  I caught a few lovely places, but they didn't have the rez zone I was looking for. He didn't see a single appropriate parcel in 6 weeks.  There are a few fantasy regions that I hope never to see again.

When I got a really nice parcel (without rez zone), it did not stick around long.  This leads me to think that there are people claiming fantasy homes, and like me tossing the same ones back over and over until a nice one happens along, which they keep.  It feels as if the top of the allocation queue gets simply clogged with a LOT of less desirable parcels.

I'm not going to speculate on the algorithm being used, but I suspect that the code involved is rather fragile and therefore LL doesn't want to touch it.  So I have two suggestions that might be simpler than changing the allocation algorithm:

> Manually scramble the queues once a week (no idea if that's possible, but most queues have a delete-and-rebuild process), OR

> Up the number of tries we're allotted per day (may or may not help, but I'm thinking it might enable people to get deeper into the queues)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

A few months ago I had an avatar who was going to bump back to basic in 6 weeks, so I decided to have him try to catch a nice fantasy home with a rez zone nearby.   I intended to extend his Premium if he managed to catch one.  Didn't happen.

I tried most days of the week, and after getting the same 3 homes over and over decided to space my tries out over a full day.  That helped a little, but I still saw the same set of homes over and over and OVER, with a sprinkling of different homes.  I caught a few lovely places, but they didn't have the rez zone I was looking for. He didn't see a single appropriate parcel in 6 weeks.  There are a few fantasy regions that I hope never to see again.

When I got a really nice parcel (without rez zone), it did not stick around long. 

This matches my current experience in Log Land.  I think I've only had one day where I got 5 different claims, though at least one of those was a parcel I had received on a previous day.  It would not serve any purpose to go through my TP history to figure out the exact numbers, but it would not be pretty.  

Not knowing how it actually works makes it difficult to suggest practical solutions (not that they are needed), and I agree that they are reluctant to mess with it for fear of making it worse or altogether non-functional.  I wonder if my odds of winning the lottery are better than getting a Log Home that checks all of my boxes?   I do know that the odds of getting a specific home are not 1 in the current number available, and are likely zero at times (without using Premium Plus).    

• Like 5

I am surprised that this issue has been allowed to carry on for so long, though I realise that there have been significant distractions elsewhere for staff. It also feels significant that, so far as I know, there hasn't been any official comment about it.
Usually, when we start speculating about what has gone wrong a mole will step in and explain.
There must be loss of income happening due to the stuck queue. It is a while since I dipped in, but from flying around I found several Grand View log homes overlooking the water in the right direction, and wondered about the premium plus for a month idea, but the cost simply didn't add up for me and I have given up for now. I can't be alone in that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

I am surprised that this issue has been allowed to carry on for so long, though I realise that there have been significant distractions elsewhere for staff. It also feels significant that, so far as I know, there hasn't been any official comment about it.
Usually, when we start speculating about what has gone wrong a mole will step in and explain.
There must be loss of income happening due to the stuck queue. It is a while since I dipped in, but from flying around I found several Grand View log homes overlooking the water in the right direction, and wondered about the premium plus for a month idea, but the cost simply didn't add up for me and I have given up for now. I can't be alone in that.

You are definitely not alone in that.  

I don't know what to make of the silence from the Linden/mole side of things.  As you said, many times they will address speculative reasons for why things are the way that they are.  Silence could mean that they are trying to figure out a solution and don't want to make any promises that they can't keep.  It could also mean that they have zero intention of changing it, and don't want to upset the masses by saying so.  Or it could just be that they have higher priorities right now and have not given it any thought.

The feedback I opened only has 25 votes.  I'm sure some of that is due to people not being aware, but it's entirely possible that this is simply not a going concern for most.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The most reliable way to get a different house each time, I have found when rolling for a Linden Home -- besides actually requesting the one I desire from the PP account privileges -- is to roll a different theme each time.  At least it solves the frustration of getting the same house each time; even though it doesn't solve being able to roll the same theme each time and get a different house. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

When I got a really nice parcel (without rez zone), it did not stick around long.  This leads me to think that there are people claiming fantasy homes, and like me tossing the same ones back over and over until a nice one happens along, which they keep.  It feels as if the top of the allocation queue gets simply clogged with a LOT of less desirable parcels.

I'm not going to speculate on the algorithm being used, but I suspect that the code involved is rather fragile and therefore LL doesn't want to touch it.  So I have two suggestions that might be simpler than changing the allocation algorithm:

> Manually scramble the queues once a week (no idea if that's possible, but most queues have a delete-and-rebuild process), OR

> Up the number of tries we're allotted per day (may or may not help, but I'm thinking it might enable people to get deeper into the queues)

I agree--also please release the new Vics! So wishing for more GOH fun!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

This matches my current experience in Log Land.  I think I've only had one day where I got 5 different claims, though at least one of those was a parcel I had received on a previous day.  It would not serve any purpose to go through my TP history to figure out the exact numbers, but it would not be pretty.  

Not knowing how it actually works makes it difficult to suggest practical solutions (not that they are needed), and I agree that they are reluctant to mess with it for fear of making it worse or altogether non-functional.  I wonder if my odds of winning the lottery are better than getting a Log Home that checks all of my boxes?   I do know that the odds of getting a specific home are not 1 in the current number available, and are likely zero at times (without using Premium Plus).    

I tried to up vote this, but the feedback forum won't let me log in and I DO have a verified email address, so I don't get it. It just keeps taking me to a "bugs" page!

Edited by Fay Starlight

Voted (and so have you, Fay!).

I would be surprised if the Moles had much to say about this, since it is a website and/or web service coding issue.  Tho, of course, I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hymn Celestia said:

The most reliable way to get a different house each time, I have found when rolling for a Linden Home -- besides actually requesting the one I desire from the PP account privileges -- is to roll a different theme each time.  At least it solves the frustration of getting the same house each time; even though it doesn't solve being able to roll the same theme each time and get a different house. 

While your suggestion does ensure I won't get the same home twice in a row, it also ensures that I won't get a desirable home in the theme of my choice.  If one is open to multiple themes, then this is helpful.  Alas, I'm looking for a Log Home and only a Log Home at this time.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

While your suggestion does ensure I won't get the same home twice in a row, it also ensures that I won't get a desirable home in the theme of my choice.  If one is open to multiple themes, then this is helpful.  Alas, I'm looking for a Log Home and only a Log Home at this time.  

I'm sure it will be lovely when you finally get there. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said: are definitely not alone in that.  

I don't know what to make of the silence from the Linden/mole side of things.  As you said, many times they will address speculative reasons for why things are the way that they are.  Silence could mean that they are trying to figure out a solution and don't want to make any promises that they can't keep.  It could also mean that they have zero intention of changing it, and don't want to upset the masses by saying so.  Or it could just be that they have higher priorities right now and have not given it any thought.

The feedback I opened only has 25 votes.  I'm sure some of that is due to people not being aware, but it's entirely possible that this is simply not a going concern for most.  

Voted! 🌺

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Hymn Celestia said:

I'm sure it will be lovely when you finally get there. 

Thank you.  I have an acceptable parcel that I have had for years on an alt, but his annual Premium membership runs out next month, and I will likely discontinue that.  There is always the chance that the parcel could end up at the top of the queue when I abandon it, but with the glut of inventory, who knows, and of course, someone else could always get.  One thing it does not have is a Grand View view of the adjacent lake, which is something I'd like to experience at some point.  I have made the most of it, but I would really like to do a build where the windows point toward the best view.  

I don't want this sound like I am whining because I can't get the parcel I want.  That's not that this thread is intended to discuss.  While that is the ultimate objective, the issue remains that house hunting is a frustrating experience due to the propensity to get assigned the same parcel multiple times when there is ample supply to avoid that.  

Technically, I am getting 5 claims per day, and there is nothing that says that they have to be unique parcels, so I am receiving what I have been promised.  But we all know that it's not really 5 claims if some of them are the same home.  

Enough rehash...back to the hunt, frustrating though it may be.  

Edited by Matthieu Quander
  • Like 4

Sometimes we see what we want to see instead of reality, so after stating that I wouldn't, I have decided to go through the ordeal of looking at the data. 

Over the past month or so, I have been primarily focused on shopping for a Log Home.  I have varied my approach over that time, but I tend to use all my claims in succession, not always knowing if I will have time to search again later in a 24-hour period.  This data is limited to Log Home claims, and comes from my teleport history with map verification.  

Whether the numbers support or hinder my stance is likely subjective, but here it is.  

Total Claims 135
Unique Parcels 71
Parcels claimed more than once 38
Parcels claimed more than twice 15
Parcels claimed more than three times 8
Parcels claimed more than four times  3
Claims used on parcels that I have abandoned at least three times 56
Percentage of claims used on parcels that I have abandoned at least three times  41%
Percentage of claims used on parcels only once (so far) 24%

Obviously other house hunters impact the numbers, but they tend to make things look better than they are.  For example, if I abandon a home that someone else claims and keeps, it is no longer possible for me to get it a second, third, fourth.....time.  This has definitely occurred to some extent, as I can see on the map that at least a few of the parcels are now owned.  

One benefit of the prolonged search is that I have added a few music streams to my collection, as people tend to not clear those out before they abandon.  Silver linings.

Also of note is that the number of upvotes on the feedback I submitted is now 39.  That seems significant to me, but who knows what triggers action on these things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

One benefit of the prolonged search is that I have added a few music streams to my collection

Are there additional parcel attributes that do not get reset to a default when a parcel is abandoned?

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

Are there additional parcel attributes that do not get reset to a default when a parcel is abandoned?

The land photo thingy stays, unless someone deletes it.My hopes usually go up when I see someone has bothered to create one of these, as the plot is usually a nice one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

Yes.  The parcel environment tab does not get reset, which I'm sure results in some newbies abandoning parcels because everything is dark or purple or something.  I don't think the media tab is completely reset, either.  I always check them both and return them to default.

Also, the parcel photo is not reset.

Note that "avsitter" (I believe it's Code Violet's version) now defaults to being present on all parcels.

I, too, have picked up a few neat streams from hopping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/14/2024 at 10:26 AM, Matthieu Quander said:

One benefit of the prolonged search is that I have added a few music streams to my collection, as people tend to not clear those out before they abandon.  Silver linings.

Silver linings, indeed; that is the right way to see the whole process.  Thank you for all the hard work; I upvoted the feedback. 😄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1