2024 - Will LL finally fully acknowledge the Adult side of SL?

16 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I can think of a few but nothing that really pops.  Perhaps a short snazzy name that doesn't attempt to describe SL would be better and more like what other services have.

If you can’t change the product, then you can always change the name.

Second Life is unique, one of a kind, there are no other “services” like Second Life.

But if you wanna be more honest, then change the name to Second Chance.

The slogan could be “Be everything you couldn’t be in your First Chance”

Unfortunately, I’m afraid there are too many people in here squandering their first chance by spending too much time in here.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff, changed stuff, added more stuff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

Your consent is implied if you choose to live on adult land.  Don't want to see it, don't rent there. It doesn't have to be that difficult.  If they did create an adult Belli why in the world would they need any mechanism for those to avoid it? 

I would honestly have to disagree with you on that one. It's kinda like the whole X dilemma, where people don't put on filters and have NSFW content just flying out there. That being said, I don't think consent is implied at all. Some people live in these communities as there is more freedom than say a PG community when it comes to language and stuff. I used to live on one, then was banned for well stupid reasons. But I went there, as it allowed me more freedom in the way of what I RPed, not sexual. But it gave me more leeway to be more creative. I still didn't participate in the sexual activity or even watched it. I avoided it like the plague. So this is where I disagree, people come to adul regions for a whole slew of reason, not only for the sexual freedom. So in conclusion, I don't think consent is implied or basically you consent by just going there. I think people do still need to be considerate of others, even in adult regions. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I would honestly have to disagree with you on that one. It's kinda like the whole X dilemma, where people don't put on filters and have NSFW content just flying out there. That being said, I don't think consent is implied at all. Some people live in these communities as there is more freedom than say a PG community when it comes to language and stuff. I used to live on one, then was banned for well stupid reasons. But I went there, as it allowed me more freedom in the way of what I RPed, not sexual. But it gave me more leeway to be more creative. I still didn't participate in the sexual activity or even watched it. I avoided it like the plague. So this is where I disagree, people come to adul regions for a whole slew of reason, not only for the sexual freedom. So in conclusion, I don't think consent is implied or basically you consent by just going there. I think people do still need to be considerate of others, even in adult regions. 

No one has to watch what other people are doing, look away, or derender them. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Second Life is unique, one of a kind, there are no other “services” like Second Life.

I wasn't comparing Second Life to those other services with short snazzy names just noting that short snazzy names that don't have to describe anything are more the norm these days amongst any services.

• Like 3

Just now, Gabriele Graves said:

I wasn't comparing Second Life to those other services with short snazzy names just noting that short snazzy names that don't have to describe anything are more the norm these days amongst any services.

OIC, well Second Life is pretty short, but i guess we could shorten it to just Seconds.

Seconds: “Come for the Seconds, stay for the Years”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

No one has to watch what other people are doing, look away, or derender them. 

I wasn't meaning that, but here is another example. There was this club I loved in SL for it's music and the people were friendly, I had this one person constantly making advances and I would say no. They would keep on trying, fine and all. I blocked them. This was an adult club, where that stuff happened. The point is, that even if I go there. I don't just say yes, once I enter the door. The whole if you go to an adult region or even club, doesn't take your right away to say no. That was my point. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I wasn't meaning that, but here is another example. There was this club I loved in SL for it's music and the people were friendly, I had this one person constantly making advances and I would say no. They would keep on trying, fine and all. I blocked them. This was an adult club, where that stuff happened. The point is, that even if I go there. I don't just say yes, once I enter the door. The whole if you go to an adult region or even club, doesn't take your right away to say no. That was my point. 

That type.of thing happens in Moderate areas probably as much as in adult.  Running into others in some kind of adult situation in Adult land can be common and why they define it as such for all.to see.  By entering Adult areas, you do, to some extent, consent to possibly seeing/hearing some of that.

Adult Parcel_lght_A.png

The Adult designation applies to Second Life regions that host, conduct, or display content that is sexually explicit, intensely violent, or depicts illicit drug use.  A region must be designated Adult if it hosts, advertises, or publicly promotes:

• Representations of intensely violent acts, for example depicting death, torture, dismemberment or other severe bodily harm, whether or not photo-realistic (meaning that images either are or cannot be distinguished from a photograph).
  • Photo-realistic nudity.
  • Expressly sexually themed content, spaces or activities, whether or not photo-realistic. We broadly define what is "sexually themed" to include any sexually oriented activities and conduct.
Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Oh i agree totally. I think every adult club i go to, its right in the rules… no means no.

On the other hand there are hard core places, where just being there is consent, and if you dont consent, you probably shouldnt go there

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I didn't read Sam's post as meaning that you are consenting to taking part in any adult activities by being on adult land, just that you consent that you might be exposed to adult things there.

Thank you, Gabriele, for making this explicit.

The problem with the "implied consent" thing is 1) it's too open to subjective interpretation, and 2) consent is dynamic and ongoing, and can also be withdrawn at any time. (I should note that every reputable BDSM organization I've ever run across makes this point as well: it's the reason, among others, for the existence of safe words.)

7 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Oh i agree totally. I think every adult club i go to, its right in the rules… no means no.

On the other hand there are hard core places, where just being there is consent, and if you dont consent, you probably shouldnt go there

I have to say that I've wandered around places like the Crack Den, and, although I've been approached there, I have NEVER been just dragged into the RP without it first being ascertained that I wanted to participate. Most people seem to "get it."

And yeah, what Rowan said, sort of: I've probably experienced more aggressive come-ons in Mature-rated places than in Adult ones.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Yoo ALWAYS have the right to say no. Someone harasses you, report them to the club owner. They'll put a stop to it VERY quickly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Is Second Life even accurate as a name anymore?  I mean that most people's second life is really their social media lives and so if they participate in SL as well then that's probably a third life at this point.

Are you sure you aren't confusing Second Life with Second Childhood? A second life is a life a person lives outside of (or in addition to) the life they live in "meat space" such as the age-old story of the man who has more than one wife and kids in different parts of the country.

image.png.5915691ca58b42e0bd1c2d7fb84ebacf.png

image.thumb.png.c7cd6a5b631fb5082b60cc086602bd79.png

Does it even matter? If LL were to change the name of SL, some other company would snap it up and it would still mean the same thing.

Residents of SL are leading double lives, so it not only was fitting 20 years ago, but it is also still very applicable today.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Are you sure you aren't confusing Second Life with Second Childhood?

I'm certain I'm not.  Perhaps you just misunderstand me.

A second life is a life a person lives outside of (or in addition to) the life they live in "meat space" such as the age-old story of the man who has more than one wife and kids in different parts of the country.

That's double life not a second life.  I disagree that they have the exact same meaning and none of the searches you posted use "second life" either.

Does it even matter? If LL were to change the name of SL, some other company would snap it up and it would still mean the same thing.

Nope, not at all.  It was just idle musings.  99.99999% of posts on the forums don't matter really either.

Residents of SL are leading double lives, so it not only was fitting 20 years ago, but it is also still very applicable today.

That's open to interpretation.  Some would say that their use of SL is an extension of the entertainment activities of their real life in the same way as any other type of entertainment is and not another life.  I certainly see it that way.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Are you sure you aren't confusing Second Life with Second Childhood? A second life is a life a person lives outside of (or in addition to) the life they live in "meat space" such as the age-old story of the man who has more than one wife and kids in different parts of the country.

image.png.5915691ca58b42e0bd1c2d7fb84ebacf.png

image.thumb.png.c7cd6a5b631fb5082b60cc086602bd79.png

You really confused me with the "second childhood" part. That made absolutely no sense to me.

You are forgetting something though. YOU are a part of Second Life. You ARE a resident.  That doesn't mean you lead a double life. Not everyone does. I know people who came here because of creativity. Some came to meet people from all over the world. Some came because they don't want to physically cheat on their spouses, but can't get the kink satisfaction they need from them. Some get together in RL because they met in SL.  It appears that you are equating being an SL resident with something purely negative. If you feel that way, then perhaps you should delete your account. This isn't the place for you.

7 hours ago, Bagnu said:

My question though is, why make another "A" rated continent, when Zindra already exists?

the continent (if Linden made it) would be A-rated Linden Homes. Similar to M-rated Belli - residents able to pick a home from the  Linden Homes web store

in this sense the continent would be to Zindra as Belli is to classic mainland

on your other point. You right - just because people could have sexxors in the public space, or in the view of the public space, doesn't mean that they willl

if there was something that might give Linden pause and count against such a A-rated Linden Homes continent, I think it would be BDSM devices mounted in the public view. Like a torture rack, slave chain whipping post, etc that a resident has placed in their front yard. While many/most SL residents are pretty broadminded and relaxed, BDSM can be troubling to some significant number which will/could affect uptake of the homes. Particularly when an avatar is displayed on the device  in the neighbour garden

the counter for this is the Belli covenant rule for adult devices. No public display of these. And if this rule was to apply on this A-rated Linden Homes continent (BDSM devices behind closed doors) then the distinction between the two ratings in this A-M Linden Homes scenario can make it seem pretty much moot

however, this brings us to the point that Scylla has been raising since 2008. There is a difference in suggestive behaviour between doing the rumpy on a beach towel in the public view and being tied to a slave chain whipping post in the front garden 

tbf to people into BDSM most are quite sensitive to other people's feelings, moreso I think than your typical  average resident, and they would pretty much in the main not put these devices in their gardens, they would put them in their dungeon rooms like most people do now on their A-rated home parcels

where BDSM devices are in the public view then there is typically a commercial imperative in play. This A-rated Linden Homes continent would be non-commercial same as Belli, so that imperative would not factor

if tho Linden did decide to use the estate covenant to make it A-Lite. Meaning the Estate Rating is A. And the estate covenant says No BDSM devices in the garden, then I think that BDSM people would be accepting of that . A-Lite I think helps to further address Scylla's broader point - that there is a difference between A and V ratings and how might this be addressed

Edited by elleevelyn
follow
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, elleevelyn said:

there is a difference between A and V ratings and how might this be addressed

Yet there really isn't a distinction as noted in my precious post.  Those entering adult spaces should realize they may be subjected to...

• Representations of intensely violent acts, for example depicting death, torture, dismemberment or other severe bodily harm, whether or not photo-realistic (meaning that images either are or cannot be distinguished from a photograph).
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, elleevelyn said:

the continent (if Linden made it) would be A-rated Linden Homes. Similar to M-rated Belli - residents able to pick a home from the  Linden Homes web store

My question though is, what advantage would having "A" rated Linden homes give anyone?  An "M" region allows sex if the parcel has visibility blocked.

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yet there really isn't a distinction as noted in my precious post.  Those entering adult spaces should realize they may be subjected to...

• Representations of intensely violent acts, for example depicting death, torture, dismemberment or other severe bodily harm, whether or not photo-realistic (meaning that images either are or cannot be distinguished from a photograph).

yes, there is not a distinction in terms of the rating system. But there can be distinctions made in the Estate covenant.  Belli covenant does this now. There are a number of things we can't do in M-rated Belli, yet we can do on M-rated classic mainland

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Really though, a person isn't likely to walk into anything extreme in most cases. Places with torture and death usually advertise that. A threesome place isn't going to have Dolcett.

Edited by Bagnu

Once you start designating what cannot be done on adult land in regard to activity, that will open a whole can of worms.  If you discriminate against one fetish, which one is next?  3somes?  More than 3?  Pony play?  Cuckolding?  Rubber dolls?

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Once you start designating what cannot be done on adult land in regard to activity, that will open a whole can of worms.  If you discriminate one fetish, which one is next?  3somes?  More than 3?  Pony play?  Cuckolding?  Rubber dolls?

Careful, next they'll ban Furry x Human!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I agree. There really IS no point going to a forced sex SIM, if someone doesn't want to be forced into sex, or force others. It's unfair to the SIM owner, and the other residents there. It's very rude actually.