Why Are There Any Microparcels…

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

on occupied sims.

You have your belli house, but you decide to test the mainland living experience, so you buy yourself a nice 4096 and on the same sim there are one or two random abandoned micro parcels.

Why wouldn’t you deed your land to a group you control, get that 10% land bonus  and buy those micro parcels?

It’s free prims just waiting for someone to claim.

Even better if your parcel is landlocked, you put in for small roadside parcel , get it, pave it, build a garage and rezz a teleporter, and presto, you are no longer landlocked. You tp to your garage get in your car, and drive away.

Second Life is advertised as your world, your imagination, but some people might benefit from using a bit more imagination.

😁

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
fixed stuff
  • Haha 1

The 10% group bonus isn't only a way to use microparcels, it's also one of the ways they come into existence, when buyers carve out just the area that maximizes the bonus.

(It's not the only origin. There are also landowners who really want to squeeze their 32x32m prefab onto a nice square 1024 and need to carve away extra chunks attached to that square that exceed their tier. Et voilà, a new microparcel is born.)

On the subject of "a bit more imagination": not all Mainland parcels need to be eligible for sale. Parcels under the Search listing minimum (144 m² if memory serves) could just as well be only available for transfer from a Land Linden. This change would dramatically reduce asymmetric blight: the moral hazard of one 16 diminishing the value of tens of thousands of square meters surrounding it.

Not that the Lab will ever do it. Residents are not the only ones who lack imagination.

• Like 2

I am confused by the question.

Is it rhetorical? 

If people used their theoretical bonus land (most people have no bonus land) to buy microparcels, then the OP wouldn't be able to buy the unused microparcels and complain about not being able to sell them.

Is it a circular Peeve?

Is it an ouroboros question? 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

The 10% group bonus isn't only a way to use microparcels, it's also one of the ways they come into existence, when buyers carve out just the area that maximizes the bonus.

(It's not the only origin. There are also landowners who really want to squeeze their 32x32m prefab onto a nice square 1024 and need to carve away extra chunks attached to that square that exceed their tier. Et voilà, a new microparcel is born.)

On the subject of "a bit more imagination": not all Mainland parcels need to be eligible for sale. Parcels under the Search listing minimum (144 m² if memory serves) could just as well be only available for transfer from a Land Linden. This change would dramatically reduce asymmetric blight: the moral hazard of one 16 diminishing the value of tens of thousands of square meters surrounding it.

Not that the Lab will ever do it. Residents are not the only ones who lack imagination.

sure we all know why micro parcels come into existance, my point was why wouldnt someone with a 4096 set their land to group and pick up another 400 sqm worth of prims. 

I suspect its because they dont understand the concept of deed to group, thinking why do i need a group, its just my private house.

There is no minimun parcel size in the inworld search. every 16sqm parcel i ever bought was from a land sale search for price less than 250 L

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff to save from double replying

I deed my land to my group so I can get the group bonus.  Generally when I buy land it was either abandoned land that I submitted a ticket for, or it borders abandoned land, so I've found it's easier just to request the additional land for the group bonus to be alongside my main parcel.  For the regions I've had parcels in, this has also been less expensive than buying a micro-parcel, if there happened to be any for sale. 

Great idea, if these micro parcels are being sold at 1 or 2L per metre, but they aren't.

I rent some roadside land in Satori and recently the land opposite me was all split up and bought by several different residents.  One has cut some roadside land into 5,  4x4m micro parcels and has each one for sale.

They are priced at between 10,000 and 50,000L each O.o

50,000L for a 16m parcel, seriously?  There's a word for these people which I can't say here lest I be banned xD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I deed my land to my group so I can get the group bonus.  Generally when I buy land it was either abandoned land that I submitted a ticket for, or it borders abandoned land, so I've found it's easier just to request the additional land for the group bonus to be alongside my main parcel.  For the regions I've had parcels in, this has also been less expensive than buying a micro-parcel, if there happened to be any for sale. 

I'm not talking about ones for sale, I'm talking about asking LL for abandoned ones. But yes if you can get your 10% bonus as part of your main parcel, so much the better.

36 minutes ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Great idea, if these micro parcels are being sold at 1 or 2L per metre, but they aren't.

I rent some roadside land in Satori and recently the land opposite me was all split up and bought by several different residents.  One has cut some roadside land into 5,  4x4m micro parcels and has each one for sale.

50,000L for a 16m parcel, seriously?  There's a word for these people which I can't say here lest I be banned xD

I admit it, I'm an "evil" micro parcel land flipper. I pick up 2x protected 16 sq m parcels for around $100 L and reset them for sale at $500 L. Whoever buys them immediately sets them for sale for from $1000 L and up .

$500 L is the quick sell price. They always sell in a week or so. I'm not interested in holding if for months or longer for an extra $500 L

This is an argument for linear tier charges, so that if you're just a little over, you don't get a big jump in the monthly charge. People who are just a little over sometimes cut off part of the parcel to round down to a standard size and save a big monthly charge. This leads to those useless micro-parcels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I don't know that I've ever seen abandoned micro-parcels. 

a lot of them were legacy from back in the ad-farming days.As the years since have gone by, people did the right thing by abandon any parcels they couldn't sell/shift to not pay tier on them anymore, or more sneakily they removed their group tier contribution while retaining their ability to receive group dividends just in case they do sell within the reclaim window.  Eventually tho Linden reclaimed the delinquent tier group land

most of the parcels from those days (there were heaps)  Linden have joined to other Linden parcels. Some along the public right-of-ways were given to LDPW and joined to the right-of-way. Some parcels tho are outliers as they can't be joined to any LDPW or Linden parcels because not-adjacent, and the adjacent parcel owners haven't requested them for their own reasons

the regions where these Linden-owned outliers continue is on regions that were pretty cut up back in the day by adfarmers. And Linden do continue to reclaim delinquent group tier land today, so pick up a few more that way. Some can be joined, and some can't

also too, is sometimes easier to sell a 512m than a 560m so people chop their 560 down to 512 and abandon/dump the overs to Linden rather than sell them to other residents

if we do want to add any Linden-owned micro parcels non-adjacent to our land then we can ask Linden to set for sale to us, and they often will when we say in our request ticket that we want the micro-parcel(s) to bring us up to  group bonus level and have put in our ticket that we will abandon the micro-parcel(s) back to Linden should we sell/transfer our main parcel. I (in a previous life) have put in request tickets for this on several occasions and Linden have set sale to me. And I have honored what I said in my ticket, each time I have let my main parcel go. I doubt that Linden would ever do this for me ever again should I not honor the condition I myself set in my request ticket

micro-parcels adjacent to our mainland parcels are a lot easier to obtain. Linden will give us without any conditions pretty much. Is just the non-adjacent ones that Linden will give us if we can show that we not going to be untrustworthy about it afterwards 

just on another note

i notice that in recent times Linden appear to have been allowing land cutting into for-sale micro-parcels again. Maybe Linden think the ad-farming signage rules are sufficient to curtail egregious behaviour in terms of the view. Maybe its just because Land Linden Department don't have enough staff at this time. Maybe Linden need the tier money. Could be any reason, so dunno exactly

Edited by elleevelyn
previous

7 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

He's going to be Anshe Chung.

9 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

There is no minimun parcel size in the inworld search. every 16sqm parcel i ever bought was from a land sale search for price less than 250 L

Oh there absolutely is a minimum parcel size to be listed in actual Search (as opposed to the For Sale list). Here's what the Limits page says:

• Minimum parcel that can be listed in Places or All search: 144 meters²

and you can see it for yourself. Try to list one of your microparcels in Search; you'll get this:

image.png.4acac48ac3870f764a60b914d1196d45.png

While you're at it, try using a different viewer, look for Mainland parcels for sale, and sort ascending by size. See any below 512 m²? What may still work in Firestorm is one tweak from being turned off at the source. The sooner the better.

Edited by Qie Niangao
add URL to Limits wiki page
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Oh there absolutely is a minimum parcel size to be listed in actual Search (as opposed to the For Sale list). Here's what the Limits page says:

and you can see it for yourself. Try to list one of your microparcels in Search; you'll get this:

image.png.4acac48ac3870f764a60b914d1196d45.png

While you're at it, try using a different viewer, look for Mainland parcels for sale, and sort ascending by size. See any below 512 m²? What may still work in Firestorm is one tweak from being turned off at the source. The sooner the better.

Why would anyone use search when the inworld search shows everything, and you don't have to pay to list anything? Talk about a waste of $30 L.

All my micro parcels sell without being listed in search

Here is the first page of inworld search for parcels, any size, for under $1000 L.

There are pages and pages.Why waste the time and money on that other search function?

All of you are trying to eliminate a problem that doesn't even exist. Micro parcel flipping is not a major issue. Just sit on the ad farmers (who are illegal already) and leave us micro flippers and networked advertizers alone.

I've shown in another thread how there can be legitimate uses for micro parcels.

In fact i have a couple that would be banned overnight if some silly rules about minimum size were brought into effect.

search.png

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a picture and stuff

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Why would anyone use search when the inworld search shows everything, and you don't have to pay to list anything? Talk about a waste of $30 L.

Why? Because SL land has uses other than being bought and sold. Those other uses are why most people use in-world search.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Why? Because SL land has uses other than being bought and sold. Those other uses are why most people use in-world search.

well duh, but what makes one search better than the other? Does it have pictures or something?

Oh yea, this is much better *rolls eyes*

search2.png

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added picture and comment

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

here is another search string, all I see is ads from estate managers, no actual land for sale

You completely missed Qie's point, though. The websearch you showed, or the old "Places" search in the viewer, are used for things other than land sales. The "show in search" option is used by clubs, sandboxes, mainstores, etc. It's not intended for advertising mainland sales. Those results you're seeing are locations where you can find places to rent and pay your rent.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You completely missed Qie's point, though. The websearch you showed, or the old "Places" search in the viewer, are used for things other than land sales. The "show in search" option is used by clubs, sandboxes, mainstores, etc. It's not intended for advertising mainland sales. Those results you're seeing are locations where you can find places to rent and pay your rent.

exactly, but where are the actual mainland parcels for sale?

Not everyone wants to waste 30 L a week to list their land

I had to check that Firestorm hadn't actually crippled normal Search. Other than burying it under a "Websearch" tab, it's all there where it belongs:
image.thumb.png.eeb705cc3de8133be67b47ac193c4bbf.png
While Firestorm's idiosyncratic "Land Sales" tab is still returning sub-512 parcels, I really wouldn't expect that to last indefinitely, given that the Lab's and other viewers show these results, from that Websearch / Land to buy or rent tab:
Screenshot2023-12-05082548.thumb.png.4bc3f9561c3a80832f48ddd48458e10c.png

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.