Fitmesh Necklaces

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I suspect that fitmesh for necklaces and even rings or earrings for that matter, are not done too often because of the extra work it would require.  It is as simple as that.   Agreed there are some but the majority are not.  I also suspect that the average  SL  buyer would not want to pay the extra that the creator would have to charge for the extra work involved either.  About the only accessory that I think should for sure be fitmesh are belts!  Non fitmesh necklaces I can deal with.  But belts are impossible to fit if they are not fitmesh.

• Like 2

I think I've been in SL long enough that I'm used to putting up with poorly fitting necklaces, having to move earrings, and having to resize bracelets. I seldom wear rings, since I don't think they're very visible any way, but I like jewelry that has a symbolic meaning, such as particular gemstones or crystals.

Since I usually wear a Freya body, not much of my jewelry is sized for it. Ironically, the LaraX neck seems to be more like Freya than like Lara Classic, so maybe my Freya necklaces will fit it? I still need to try them to see.

• Like 1

i'm not a big shopper of jewellery, i don't recall seeing anything specifically labelled fitmesh. anything i see advertised or i own in necklaces is either unrigged which is no problem to me, i manage to get a good fit or rigged to fit popular mesh bodies. if you browse most popular weekly sales you'll be hard pushed to find jewellery not rigged to popular mesh bodies 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

When fitmesh was released, I expected that there would be a lot of fitmesh necklaces because necklaces almost never fit well.

Avaway has an extended assortment of rigged necklaces. I have several necklaces from other creators as well. Perhaps your terminology is part of why you are having trouble finding "fitmesh" necklaces. The term fitmesh was only used during the very early stages of rigged mesh development. It's been called rigged mesh for years now. 

I almost never wear any necklaces that aren't rigged mesh.

15 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

I suspect that fitmesh for necklaces and even rings or earrings for that matter, are not done too often because of the extra work it would require.  

Earrings and rings are abundantly available in rigged versions. In fact, you can't wear rings unless they are rigged on any finger other than the ring finger. I use elf ears quite often and they are animated so rigged earrings are a must for me. E.Marie and Vibing oftentimes have rigged earrings and/or rings on the Saturday Sale.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

Avaway has an extended assortment of rigged necklaces. I have several necklaces from other creators as well. Perhaps your terminology is part of why you are having trouble finding "fitmesh" necklaces. The term fitmesh was only used during the very early stages of rigged mesh development. It's been called rigged mesh for years now. 

Earrings and rings are abundantly available in rigged versions. In fact, you can't wear rings unless they are rigged on any finger other than the ring finger. I use elf ears quite often and they are animated so rigged earrings are a must for me. E.Marie and Vibing oftentimes have rigged earrings and/or rings on the Saturday Sale.

I really wish Earthstones would start rigging necklaces.  I used to wear their jewelry all the time.  I don't mind adjusting earrings or bracelets but rigged necklaces are a must.

Kungler's and Sigma are not ALL rigged but most of the newer pieces seem to be.  Yummy is another brand with rigged necklaces.  Kibitz has also started rigging some of their necklaces.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I understand fitmesh to mean "rigged mesh that responds to shape sliders," and I understand rigged mesh to mean rigged mesh that does not respond to shape sliders.

Is that incorrect?

9 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I understand fitmesh to mean "rigged mesh that responds to shape sliders," and I understand rigged mesh to mean rigged mesh that does not respond to shape sliders.

Is that incorrect?

That's incorrect. They basically mean the same thing, but the term fitmesh is no longer used. It was kind of a transition term used by creators when they were figuring out how to get mesh to respond to shape sliders so it could be used for clothing. Rigged mesh means the mesh has been rigged to the bones of the avatar skeleton. That's why rigged mesh responds to the sliders. Once rigged mesh was officially adopted the term fitmesh was basically dropped and the term rigged mesh became the norm. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Orsini has an extensive collection of rigged necklaces for all top popular mesh bodies, and the newest set is in the Happy Weekend event and rigged for LaraX.

Edited by Cougar Sangria
  • Like 3

On 12/1/2023 at 9:20 PM, Blush Bravin said:

That's incorrect. They basically mean the same thing, but the term fitmesh is no longer used. It was kind of a transition term used by creators when they were figuring out how to get mesh to respond to shape sliders so it could be used for clothing. Rigged mesh means the mesh has been rigged to the bones of the avatar skeleton. That's why rigged mesh responds to the sliders. Once rigged mesh was officially adopted the term fitmesh was basically dropped and the term rigged mesh became the norm. 

OK. Thanks for educating me.

Thanks to all who suggested places to look.

I would appreciate someone giving me a little more education about rigged mesh. Until this discussion, I thought I understood mesh clothing well, but it's clear that I don't.

I did some testing with old standard-sized rigged mesh clothing. I did not test exhaustively but tested several selected shape sliders. It responded to the height, body thickness, shoulders, arm length, and torso length sliders, but did not respond to the body fat, torso muscles, breast size, love handles, or belly size sliders. A newer rigged mesh clothing item responded to all of these sliders. 

I understand that the newer item was rigged for my specific (Lara) mesh body, but that doesn't seem relevant to which shape sliders it would respond to. I didn't try it, but I'm pretty sure that if I had tried it with a mesh garment rigged for some other body, it would have fit poorly but still responded to the shape sliders.

Are there just two kinds of rigged mesh attachments? Does one kind always respond to the same sunset of shape sliders and the other respond to a larger subset that is always the same or can there be many variations in what subset of shape sliders they respond to?

3 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I would appreciate someone giving me a little more education about rigged mesh. Until this discussion, I thought I understood mesh clothing well, but it's clear that I don't.

I did some testing with old standard-sized rigged mesh clothing. I did not test exhaustively but tested several selected shape sliders. It responded to the height, body thickness, shoulders, arm length, and torso length sliders, but did not respond to the body fat, torso muscles, breast size, love handles, or belly size sliders. A newer rigged mesh clothing item responded to all of these sliders. 

I understand that the newer item was rigged for my specific (Lara) mesh body, but that doesn't seem relevant to which shape sliders it would respond to. I didn't try it, but I'm pretty sure that if I had tried it with a mesh garment rigged for some other body, it would have fit poorly but still responded to the shape sliders.

Are there just two kinds of rigged mesh attachments? Does one kind always respond to the same sunset of shape sliders and the other respond to a larger subset that is always the same or can there be many variations in what subset of shape sliders they respond to?

Trying to jog my memory.

Before we had rigged mesh, or what we call rigged mesh today, we had mesh in standard sizing. It only responded to a few of the mesh sliders. We basically had five shapes/sizes that were all pretty much the same except for the large, which was more fat than large. But it was all we had until creators started experimenting with "fitmesh". I believe the first one to come out with clothing labeled as "fitmesh" was Redgrave. But that was so long ago that I would not bet on my correctness. More creators started experimenting and meeting with LL devs and what was birthed from that collaboration was the rigged mesh we have today. Rigged mesh finally gave us the freedom to be any size or shape we desired.

There are many here who I'm sure have better memories than I do and can speak with more precision. Hopefully they will jump in and do a better job than I can, but perhaps this will give a little more understanding on the subject.

13 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Trying to jog my memory.

Before we had rigged mesh, or what we call rigged mesh today, we had mesh in standard sizing. It only responded to a few of the mesh sliders. We basically had five shapes/sizes that were all pretty much the same except for the large, which was more fat than large. But it was all we had until creators started experimenting with "fitmesh". I believe the first one to come out with clothing labeled as "fitmesh" was Redgrave. But that was so long ago that I would not bet on my correctness. More creators started experimenting and meeting with LL devs and what was birthed from that collaboration was the rigged mesh we have today. Rigged mesh finally gave us the freedom to be any size or shape we desired.

There are many here who I'm sure have better memories than I do and can speak with more precision. Hopefully they will jump in and do a better job than I can, but perhaps this will give a little more understanding on the subject.

IIRC, fit mesh was basically made for the system body.  Once the mesh bodies came out, garments and accessories needed to be rigged/fit to that specific body.  

Redgrave called theirs liquid mesh?  Been so long ago.

I've been googling and so far it looks like we started using rigged mesh in standard sizes around 2012.

I've found this interesting thread in reddit about the end of standard sizing which was around 2016 here.  It's funny, one person commented that the end of standard sizing would be the end of Second Life. *chuckles to self* 

Ah yes, @Rowan AmoreI do remember Liquid Mesh being the Redgrave term now that you jog my memory. I'm not quite sure why we transitioned from saying fitmesh to simply saying rigged mesh once sizes were being made for particular mesh bodies, but we did. Here is a thread from 2014 on rigged vs fitmesh.

I'm not sure, again, poor memory. But I keep thinking we had fitmesh before we had mesh bodies, and that it was the development of fitmesh that allowed the first mesh bodies to be made. But I'll have to do more research when it's not past midnight. I should have been in bed well over an hour ago.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2

This is the official definition of the term from 2013/14: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rigging_Fitted_Mesh

This page explains which sliders make use of Fitted Mesh (before Bento): https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Appearance_Editor_and_affected_bones

Rigged mesh is the general term. Fitted Mesh was an update to the rigging system which added some bones. Bento is "Fitted Mesh 2.0" as it also updated the rigging system with new bones. Fitted and Bento mesh are both rigged mesh.

Liquid mesh is a marketing buzzword by some merchants.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.