My SL Will Never Be The Same

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I realized the person I was with and some of my friends were all the same person.

I had this happen to me on another platform. 18 months with the same group of people. It was beyond horrible. I felt so betrayed, and it spiralled into a major depression. Five years later, I'm still not sure it will ever leave me completely. There is a point where trust in humanity is broken.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I realized the person I was with and some of my friends were all the same person. This was 1 month into SL. 

At an event I go to, I am sure 4 or 5 of them are the same person lol, it just sucks a bit if you start a virtual something with someone, and then someone else gets jealous with you, and you find out its the same person...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

SL is actually what got me into internet social worlds and culture ages ago. Around 2008ish I was just a dumb kid who shouldn’t have been here but in that year i discovered a ton of different social games at once. And while I didn’t stick with SL because my computer was a toaster, SL was the first place I tried and I really liked it and wanted to do more of whatever that was.

I ended up playing smallworlds, Roblox, habbo and RuneScape and it’s what I know best from that era. But from that same time there’s presumably an ancient secondlife account with an hour of playtime out there somewhere, maybe with a chatlog where I talked to some strangers on the internet about MST3K before my laptop thermal throttled itself into crashing the client.

And I’ve come back to and left SL on and off again over the years, but it’s definitely still the first. It’s in my eyes kind of the baseline, always been there and always will be there example of a social game. Kinda how people compare any roll and stall dark fantasy rpg to dark souls, it’s the example, the reference you compare to. SL is that to me for any other social game, even if there are others just as old or older that have existed alongside it.

• Like 2

The realization that whatever physical realities that tormented my RL so hard has no bearing on my SL.  People are often repulsed by my RL appearance and won't even bother to go any further in getting to know me as a person. In SL, this barrier is removed and the only thing I have left for others to judge me on is my personality and inner soul. There is a lot of freedom in that. If people are repulsed by your soul in SL, then it's a good indicator to check yourself.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Have you ever had an experience in SL and know your SL (or even RL, for that matter) will never be the same?

Some time in July 2018, I decided to get a Maitreya body, because there weren't (and still aren't) enough fantasy clothing options for men. My intention was to wear it only for said costumes. Once a week, maximum.

Yeah, no. It didn't work like that.  I have worn my male body only once since then, and probably won't wear it ever again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, AzureWaves said:

PBR happened and now the lighting is all messed up. My SL will never be the same.

as usual, and as with most “games” the developers fix something that wasnt broke, and eff it up.

As an aside, firestorms latest release will not have a 32 bit version, so when the 3 release rule hits all current 32 bit users, they will be jettisoned

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sabrina Nebula said:

I learned that there are many broken people in SL and that some of them only play a character to let everything look good from the outside.

Nothing new you'll say? Yup, true. But it hurts when you started to like and trust somebody.

So, walls up again.

Something about SL attracts such people, they hope for a fresh start, but they bring all their baggage witht them, and so doom themselves in two worlds.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PermaRuthed said:

The realization that whatever physical realities that tormented my RL so hard has no bearing on my SL.  People are often repulsed by my RL appearance and won't even bother to go any further in getting to know me as a person. In SL, this barrier is removed and the only thing I have left for others to judge me on is my personality and inner soul. There is a lot of freedom in that. If people are repulsed by your soul in SL, then it's a good indicator to check yourself.

Ummm no, you will still be judged by your appearance in here.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I realized the person I was with and some of my friends were all the same person. This was 1 month into SL. 

Thats my one unbendable rule, if i know you, and you try and friend me on an alt without telling me you are my friends alt at hello, if i ever find out, all of your alts (and the original) are done, unfriended and blocked.

I dont play that game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AzureWaves said:

PBR happened and now the lighting is all messed up. My SL will never be the same.

I found the same. But all is not not lost . . . I played around with my 'sunny mid morning' setting (which I made myself) and eventually I got something that looked better than my old version. I had to adjust the mist density sliders and the sun and ambient light.  It took a while but if applying the same changes to my afternoon and evening settings will be much easier. Night-time looks about the same with the new PBR viewer, though artificial light sources seem to be a bit brighter.

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

My heart goes out to you @Robberinthemuseum, @Sabrina Nebula, & @Emerald Evergarden.   I've been betrayed here too so I understand how that feels. So much of the time it's that same thing people get hurt by -- alts used to fool others.

I hope you get to the place of trust again as soon as possible...life can be dead and miserable without trust in others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PermaRuthed said:

Hey, if you bring your humor to RL in the same way you bring humor & fun to SL they'd be a fool not to hang around with you..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
12 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

Thats my one unbendable rule, if i know you, and you try and friend me on an alt without telling me you are my friends alt at hello, if i ever find out, all of your alts (and the original) are done, unfriended and blocked.

I dont play that game.

Yes I've struggled to understand why people play this game. It seems that those attempting to fool others with an alt relish the fact they have some secret you're not aware of, and so believe they have some power over you.  Friendships are NOT about one person having power over another, or should not be.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.