Accept Experience or No Entry

Tirnanoc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 88 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/18/2023 at 10:24 AM, Tirnanoc said:

So I added it key experience as well, but when I tried to hop in with an alternative account, it didn't give me the prompt and didn't block me from entering so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Estate Managers and Estate Owners are except from being required to participate in key experiences to enter regions.

• Like 1

In my own sim I made a tiny parcel in the corner of the region just big enough for an avatar or two to stand in and put the sim rules/experience inviter there. Once that tiny parcel detects the experience is enabled teleports the user to the main parcel.

Then in the main parcel I have a script which simply loops through agents in the parcel and checks llAgentInExperience once a few seconds and then llTeleportAgentHome people who aren't - This is just to catch friends teleporting friends thus bypassing the main spawn point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/22/2023 at 1:24 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

Estate Managers and Estate Owners are except from being required to participate in key experiences to enter regions.

That alt account had neither title

On 10/23/2023 at 10:44 AM, Extrude Ragu said:

In my own sim I made a tiny parcel in the corner of the region just big enough for an avatar or two to stand in and put the sim rules/experience inviter there. Once that tiny parcel detects the experience is enabled teleports the user to the main parcel.

Then in the main parcel I have a script which simply loops through agents in the parcel and checks llAgentInExperience once a few seconds and then llTeleportAgentHome people who aren't - This is just to catch friends teleporting friends thus bypassing the main spawn point.

Super helpful, thank you. I'll try this!

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 10:44 PM, Extrude Ragu said:

a variation on this. Instead of llTeleportHome, use llEjectFromLand. This will send them from the main parcel to the tiny parcel "spawn point" upon which they can use the experience inviter to join the Experience to get access to the main parcel. Should they choose not to join then they can teleport themselves home or someplace else

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, elleevelyn said:

a variation on this. Instead of llTeleportHome, use llEjectFromLand. This will send them from the main parcel to the tiny parcel "spawn point" upon which they can use the experience inviter to join the Experience to get access to the main parcel. Should they choose not to join then they can teleport themselves home or someplace else

I agree with the sentiment that it's better to teleport the user back to the inviter rather than out of the region.

There is a problem with llEjectFromLand however in that they will be ejected to the same altitude as they were in the main region. Meaning that unless your region is flat and doesn't use skyboxes, your guest has a high chance to end up being sent on a long fall or getting trapped somewhere unintentionally, which is why I personally went with llTeleportAgentHome.

I did in the past request llSendToTelehub, to improve this situation as I don't like having guests that just  entered the region be immediately teleported back out, but alas it never happened.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I did in the past request llSendToTelehub, to improve this situation as I don't like having guests that just  entered the region be immediately teleported back out, but alas it never happened.

i like this

it might be worth submitting again. As it could be included  in the list of good things being considered for the Linden Damage System. Should a telehub on the region (as a scripted parameter of llRezObjectWithParams) eventuate then is a small step from there to a generic llSendToInfohub function

ps add: just add some more thinking on this. I get your point that we talking about people on the arena who have not opted in to the Experience

is a thought that the teleport destination of llRezObjectWithParams could be any region coordinates, however a teleport to a region infohub doesn't break the social contract between Linden and  residents that prevents teleports to "random" destinations, "random" in the eyes of the targeted agent who has not opted in to an Experience. A Infohub is not "random" in this sense

on damage: Send to Infohub if on region else Send Home

from here is a short step to a generic llSendToInfohub function

add more:

a thing that Wulfie mentioned in the other thread about Linden Damage System was that typically players in the game set their "Home" to designated parcels that enable Set Home Here, which helps answer the problem of where players end up when damaged. Which is ok for players in the game. With non-players then probably not as ok, as they don't necessarily know or even want to Set Home Here

suppose REZ_TELEPORT of llRezObjectWithParams had two bit parameters: TELEPORT_INFOHUB | TELEPORT_HOME.  Set either as you prefer or set both. When both then if InfoHub else  Home. In either case Home can be the parcel on the region Set as Home

edit add: maybe as clear as mud this bit: "if InfoHub else  Home"

there are two scenarios.

1) A person has their Home set to somewhere on the region: TELEPORT_INFOHUB | TELEPORT_HOME applies TELEPORT_HOME

2) A person has their Home Set to another region. TELEPORT_INFOHUB | TELEPORT_HOME applies TELEPORT_INFOHUB (if InfoHub on region) else applies TELEPORT_HOME

Edited by elleevelyn
exp

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2023 at 11:42 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I hit a sim that requires you to accept an experience, I decline and leave, but that's just me. 

Same here. Thousands of other places to explore that don't boss me around.
Thanks for the effort and next please.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

And the big question is... why?

Not you specifically, but why are people in general hesitant to join an Experience?

Of course I can't speak on behalf of the people, but here is my take on it:

Experiences take over control. I want to see first if and why I want to give that permission to control my avatar.
Yesterday I was in a nice Christmas sim and there was a ride with Santa and his sleigh. I wanted to take that ride so I granted permission for that experience. But why would I do so for a sim, where I haven't seen anything yet?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 4:42 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I hit a sim that requires you to accept an experience, I decline and leave, but that's just me. 

Not sure why you even posted this in this post. It really has nothing to do with the OP at all. You could start a new topic though so people wanting to get information won't have to read a bunch of  "why I do or don't accept experiences"

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

Not sure why you even posted this in this post. It really has nothing to do with the OP at all. You could start a new topic though so people wanting to get information won't have to read a bunch of  "why I do or don't accept experiences"

I agree, i should not have posted it. 

But on the other hand the OP should be aware that not everyone appreciates having an experience forced on them . Perhaps some sort of tracker that shows number of people accepting the experience vs how many refused would be useful. 😁

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff

On 12/8/2023 at 2:50 PM, Sam Bellisserian said:

Excellent idea. I have coded a few and also have a few - concerns. Maybe something over in 'general'?

• 3 months later...
On 12/8/2023 at 10:47 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Why? 

Because the experince takes control away from me and forces me to be a passive observer

So you decline based on principle instead of on practicality and the quality of your experience. All the wonderful things you've missed by doing that. That seems sad to me.

I use experiences liberally in my sim to enhance the experience. It's what the elevator teleporter uses to move people from floor to floor of the main feature building. It changes the EPP based on where you are in the sim (I have 10 different EEPs running). It's what powers lots of elements of the build in my sim, providing a more seamless and immersive experience for visitors.

I don't force users in my sim to accept, but if they don't, there's not really much they can do there other than walk around at ground level.

Edited by Thecla
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thecla said:

So you decline based on principle instead of on practicality and the quality of your experience. All the wonderful things you've missed by doing that. That seems sad to me.

I use experiences liberally in my sim to enhance the experience. It's what the elevator teleporter uses to move people from floor to floor of the main feature building. It changes the EPP based on where you are in the sim (I have 10 different EEPs running). It's what powers lots of elements of the build in my sim, providing a more seamless and immersive experience for visitors.

I don't force users in my sim to accept, but if they don't, there's not really much they can do there other than walk around at ground level.

post the slurl of your sim so i can be sure not to go there 😂

The beauty of Second Life is that we can all choose what we do on the platform. If Billi doesn't like experiences, she doesn't have to join them. Meanwhile creators enjoy the freedom to choose who they want to appeal to in their land. I don't mean that in a negative way, I really do think that's a good thing. We don't need to convince each other to like these things. If we like them, we like them, if we don't, we don't. Second Life lets us all enjoy SL our own way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

The beauty of Second Life is that we can all choose what we do on the platform. If Billi doesn't like experiences, she doesn't have to join them. Meanwhile creators enjoy the freedom to choose who they want to appeal to in their land. I don't mean that in a negative way, I really do think that's a good thing. We don't need to convince each other to like these things. If we like them, we like them, if we don't, we don't. Second Life lets us all enjoy SL our own way.

Oh that's true, but BilliJo is deciding on principle, rejecting a technology that is neither good nor bad in and of itself. And there's a long history of this in SL, where users reject a development because for whatever reason they don't approve of it. There are sims where users have rejected mesh and continue to do so. What's curious is that it's basically Luddite behavior and the irony of that pretty strong in a virtual world.

BilliJo, my pleasure :)  https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Continental/182/210/35

I say do as you will, and as a courtesy just put it in the sim description, so when people find it in search, they'll know before going that they'll be going to a sim that does the full-experience thing and doesn't make people give separate permissions for everything.

That way, nobody even has anything to worry about.

If I dropped by a sim at random (which I never do) and it hit me with giving it permission to do anything it wanted right off the bat, I would probably TP away on that occasion and try to find out more before going back.

If I knew ahead of time that it's a themed adventure sim or similar, however, then getting the Experience prompt wouldn't even startle me. I'd be expecting it, probably. Experiences have awesome uses and make everything better when used in context. People just like to know ahead of time if the place is the kind of place they like to go to, is all.

I don't even consider it Luddy that people like forests and stuff in SL, and like walking places, even along the highways. Just because someone doesn't present as a wizard doesn't mean they aren't one; some just like more "reality" in their virtual reality than others, and some like more fantasy/sci-fi/impossible-in-RL things.

Me, I like it all, so bring it on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 88 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.