Body missing, Help!

AmyPinkLegend

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

People keep saying my body is missing, Usually lower half, Relogging seems to fix it. But i never see it, I look fine. I only know from people telling me, it's like 1 or 2 times a day now. I have an expensive legacy body with bom so i'd like it to work. I'm using firestorm. I dont think it's lag cause my new pc is 16gb.

Any advice to prevent this is very apreciated

Tell people to right click where your body should be, as if they are putting you in edit mode, or even alt cam on you and scroll in and out.  That might solve the problem. If it is the same people that keep telling you this, they might also be pulling your leg just to be obnoxious. I know because I used to do that to a friend of mine all the time with her clothes and it took her months to catch on. Good thing she likes me! 

If you see your body and your inventory shows you as wearing your body, it's probably not on your end. I don't have the greatest computer myself so sometimes things mess up for me even if they look fine to other people.

• Haha 1

Legacy is an insanely graphics intensive mesh body... But if you're wearing it as one attachment it should either show or not show - not have the top show while the bottom doesn't.

If somehow you are wearing a top half and bottom half separately then the issue makes sense.

Switch to a less expensive body...

Which is not 100% meant as a joke, sadly. Legacy is an extremely high triangle count body - much of that on details not even visible. It's best as a body to see yourself with rather than to be seen because there will be people who's systems cannot handle rendering it properly if anything else is around.

You can somewhat alleviate this by:

1. Going around without anything else on. Bare minimum number of attachments. This is where I sound like I'm telling you to run around nude and... I kind of am. But if that's not OK, then stick to simplistic outfits.

2. Go through everything you're wearing and make sure nothing is on the same attachment point.

3. Do some level of both of the above.

4. Force all your friends to buy expensive PCs with lots of ram and good GPUs.

Usually in any given location, a person on Legacy is a hard to render as a small crowd of people on modern maitreya or reborn, or a small group of people on gen.x, or a couple of old freya or v4.x maitreyas. While the other brands have been optimizing for graphics efficiency legacy has been going in the opposite direction making it taxing for lower end systems to render.

If it's just you and your friends around then they're still messing with you unless one of them is on a Mac... but if you're hanging out around other people then your friends might really not be seeing you. Being around people on Legacy used to just crash my old Mac. As in the entire computer...

Since I don't think legacy comes in 2 pieces, they are probably messing with you.

If you suspect they're tricking you - ask them to send you a picture of what they see. They can use gyazo to take instant screenshots you can see in seconds. Do it that way as there won't be time for them to mess with it.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AmyPinkLegend said:

People keep saying my body is missing, Usually lower half, Relogging seems to fix it. But i never see it, I look fine. I only know from people telling me, it's like 1 or 2 times a day now. I have an expensive legacy body with bom so i'd like it to work. I'm using firestorm. I dont think it's lag cause my new pc is 16gb.

Any advice to prevent this is very apreciated

Make sure you do not have an alpha activated . Some outfits also have auto hide. Redeliver the body and start from scratch. Just some suggestions.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

lots of stuff

Body itself is not really heavy. And given that feet (and it's the main source of triangles for Legacy for whatever reason, if it was normal it would be between reborn and freya triangles amount) is a separate attachment, then even if go with your crazy theory "it's the body", then no, it would be feet alone that disappear for others.

Also good luck to you and anyone else who "crashes" over a Legacy. It's nowhere the worst things you can (and will) encounter. There's clothing around that is 4x as heavy. And most longer pretty alpha hairstyles by most popular designers are pushing legacy triangle numbers. Better either enable permanent friends-only mode through the debug, or just never leave your home.

---

To OP.

Redelivery as already suggested, then see if it helps. Check that it happens with all your outfits or just one. You can also make an extra account/avatar, then if someone tells you it happened (if redelivery wouldn't help), don't relog or do anything, and log that 2nd test avatar to check yourself from the side.

I've never seen or heard of it happening, though. Not counting cases of beta LL viewers a long while ago, which broke far more than just legacy bodies, but nearly all popular mesh heads.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 2

Alphas can get borked no matter what body you are wearing (unless it is only system alpha layers you are using).

Ideally try and use system alpha layers over the scripted attachment alphas set up via the HUD (it's also less scripts you have on your AV).

Set up a "default" body outfit that is just your body and hair etc. When you logon switch to that body and use the HUD to reset alphas even if you look fine to yourself. Then dress as normal. That should result in less cases of missing legs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

It's best as a body to see yourself with rather than to be seen because there will be people who's systems cannot handle rendering it properly if anything else is around.

It's a high poly body but it's not *that* bad, if someone has their max complexity set low enough they will not see anything. It's not going to crash anyone though and so long as max complexity allows it then everyone can see it/handle rendering it.

To OP @AmyPinkLegend my guess would be you've got an alpha enabled either via the HUD (alpha cuts), you are wearing an alpha or a piece of clothing you had on did an auto-alpha that was not reverted when you took it off (happens way too much, bad scripting). Either way, if you're not wearing an obvious alpha (check your inventory 'Worn' tab) then try toggling alpha cuts on/off in the Legacy HUD.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

Your body should have it's own attachment point.  If you check on your 'worn' tab, it may be sharing an attachment point with something else?  Take it off and then right click it in inventory and select 'attach to' then choose maybe left pec or right pec then add again.  Make sure nothing else you wear in future is attached to the same point.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Randy Pole said:

Alphas can get borked no matter what body you are wearing (unless it is only system alpha layers you are using).

Ideally try and use system alpha layers over the scripted attachment alphas set up via the HUD (it's also less scripts you have on your AV).

Set up a "default" body outfit that is just your body and hair etc. When you logon switch to that body and use the HUD to reset alphas even if you look fine to yourself. Then dress as normal. That should result in less cases of missing legs.

Wearing system/ BOM alpha layers might seem like more work than using your HUD for alphas. If you want to try using BOM alphas though, Little Black Dress has a good set that's $L 1 on Marketplace or free inworld at their shop.

• Like 1

If possible, buy a 2nd computer and install Second Life on it. Create an alt account and log into the 2nd computer while you are logged into your main computer. Then, you can monitor yourself with your alt and see when your lower body disappears. This may not help you figure out why it is happening but at least you now have a new computer. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.