Help

RhiannaReach

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 214 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I watched tutorials on YouTube regarding the new heads, bodies, skins etc but for some unknown reason I just cannot retain all the info needed to update my avi. Is there anywhere on SL where I can just go and buy a complete updated avatar? If not my next option would be to find someone inworld who would help (UK time) Thank you 

17 minutes ago, RhiannaReach said:

Hi everyone,

I watched tutorials on YouTube regarding the new heads, bodies, skins etc but for some unknown reason I just cannot retain all the info needed to update my avi. Is there anywhere on SL where I can just go and buy a complete updated avatar? If not my next option would be to find someone inworld who would help (UK time) Thank you 

What can i help for you? i'm available in SL now, if you need some help

• Like 2

The best way to go about it would probably to search for a shape, and make sure it comes with a style card. Those should tell you what body/head/skin you need to achieve that look along with the shape, and then you'd have a 'base' to work with.

.. Or you keep re-reading through the information and take notes like you would in school until it sticks!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RhiannaReach said:

Hi everyone,

look on market place under "complete avatars"

• Haha 1

I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here. Here are some questions to answer that will help us help you.

Do you want a budget avatar or is price not a big consideration? 

Do you want a slender or a curvy body?

Most people who want to update their avatars now get a mesh body, a mesh head, a good skin, a good AO (animation overrider), hair and clothes. Some people buy shapes, while others modify one that comes with their mesh head.

• Like 1

Whatever you do, DO NOT purchase a "complete avatar" on the Marketplace.  Those have none of the new components you mentioned. They're usually based on the system avatar, a shape and perhaps a very old skin and hair.  Anything else might be some obscure mesh body/head combo that you'll never find clothes or skins for.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My suggestion would be to try ( demos ) 

Maitreya ( Body Only ) 
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Maitreya Isle/207/165/26

LeLutka ( Heads )
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LeLutka/126/126/24

Skin ( Body & Head )  - [theSkinnery]   http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fruitatious/142/106/24

Skin ( Body & Head )  - Glam Affair
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Beauty Avatar couture/163/134/24

Skin ( Body & Head ) DeeTaleZ's Skins 
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/DeeTaleZ/129/139/35

Please Note: this is only a suggestion for the easiest and most compatible Body, and Head. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you go with a Maitreya Lara body (or LucyBody Atenea) and a Lelutka EvoX or Genus head, the easiest skin to use would be one from 7 Deadly S[k]ins - or maybe Wow! Skins?  7DS makes skins with the head and body all on the skin layer. I think someone said Wow! does too, but I don't use those skins myself.

Be sure to get skins that are made for the type of mesh head and body you're using. Usually this will be a body skin on the skin layer and a matching head skin on a tattoo layer. If you're wearing an EvoX skin, you'll also need to wear a Universal tattoo for your ears, but this will come with your face skin. 

7 Deadly Skins makes their female skins to fit Maitreya Lara by default. They might look ok on other bodies, but usually there will be slight defects on the toes or other areas. (Their skins seem to look ok on the Erika body to me too, but YMMV. Always Demo before buying mesh or skins.)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If you go with a Maitreya Lara body (or LucyBody Atenea) and a Lelutka EvoX or Genus head, the easiest skin to use would be one from 7 Deadly S[k]ins - or maybe Wow! Skins?  7DS makes skins with the head and body all on the skin layer. I think someone said Wow! does too, but I don't use those skins myself.

That's a pretty weak argument to go for any particular brand, in my opinion. Whether a skin is one single layer or a skin layer and a tattoo layer for face and body, it's not a very difficult obstacle to overcome to let you use any skin you like rather than the one which saves you 2 clicks to put on.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Orwar said:

That's a pretty weak argument to go for any particular brand, in my opinion. Whether a skin is one single layer or a skin layer and a tattoo layer for face and body, it's not a very difficult obstacle to overcome to let you use any skin you like rather than the one which saves you 2 clicks to put on.

I agree. And also the earlier new/returning user learns about how most skin creators do it the better. And most, especially top tier skin creators, do separate their head/body skins. 7DS and Wow skins are pretty bad quality compared to actually good skins, so unless budget is an issue I wouldn't push users towards them. Good skin matters as much as the head itself, and bad skin can (and will) make even the best heads look quite terrible.

Now what looks good or bad is subjective, not going to argue about that, we all have our preferences. But low quality skins simply lack details that the good skins have, and look very bland in comparison.

Edited by steeljane42

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

The OP says she's having a hard time remembering all the steps for using mesh heads and bodies, so I'm trying to give her the simplest, easiest skin to use. Having to buy both a body and a head skin,  remembering to Add the head skin tattoo after Wearing the body skin, and having to be careful not knock off one's face by Wearing makeup or a tattoo on a tattoo layer are extra issues she doesn't need to deal with at this point. Once she gets comfortable with using a mesh body and head, then she can try using the separate body and head skins.

The skins from 7DS look fine on Lelutka heads and usually come with browless versions, which work well with the Lelutka EvoX HUD. Not having to buy both a body and a face skin can be cheaper too. It's not a ideal brand for darker or fantasy skins, but the OP didn't say she was looking for those. 

Sometimes it's possible to wear a face skin from a different brand over a full body skin too, though it's hard to get a perfect match that won't show a difference at the neck.

22 hours ago, RhiannaReach said:

Hi everyone,

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The OP says she's having a hard time remembering all the steps for using mesh heads and bodies, so I'm trying to give her the simplest, easiest skin to use. Having to buy both a body and a head skin,  remembering to Add the head skin tattoo after Wearing the body skin, and having to be careful not knock off one's face by Wearing makeup or a tattoo on a tattoo layer are extra issues she doesn't need to deal with at this point. Once she gets comfortable with using a mesh body and head, then she can try using the separate body and head skins.

A lot of "us" can benefit from that same advice!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The OP says she's having a hard time remembering all the steps for using mesh heads and bodies, so I'm trying to give her the simplest, easiest skin to use. Having to buy both a body and a head skin,  remembering to Add the head skin tattoo after Wearing the body skin, and having to be careful not knock off one's face by Wearing makeup or a tattoo on a tattoo layer are extra issues she doesn't need to deal with at this point.

It doesn't matter in which order you put on a skin and a tattoo, skins are always the bottommost layer, tattoo layers always go on top of the skin. If you yourself find the way in which layers work confusing, perhaps you shouldn't try to tout a brand that diverges from convention as a solution to learning how it actually works. It's a perfectly simple process once you grasp it, and the sooner you set yourself up against that challenge, the sooner it will become clear. 

It's the exact same reason people advise against the OP's query about buying a 'complete avatar' as a solution, it's a short-sighted fix which just means there'll be more problems (and L$ to spend) in the near future.

But they're not inquiring about skins alone, they want to figure out the whole avatar thing, to which I've already given what I believe to be the easiest solution (that doesn't skip any of the steps). There's no point in any of us advising they get this or that body or head (or skin) when we have no idea what sort of avatar it is they want.

• Haha 1

OP, are you more confused than ever with these advisors?

Hope you "retained" it. It is very hard coming into second life not knowing the way and people speaking as if you do. When you clearly said you were not able to retain...  Hope you got it sorted.

I believe that if you join groups, for instance has several free avatars here  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/NerdVille Pointe/25/190/2001  VERY limited clothing options but they are BOM (mostly)

or you can get LucyBody here http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Reef/38/30/502   be aware to make it BOM  (Bakes on Mesh- which means it will paint (loose translation) textures on the body or face) you need to Purchase the HUD (you need it!) It is like 250L AND the creator is super fast to respond she is actually amazingly patient. This is not a extreme curvy body.

then the old faithful free head (works with LucyBody well) http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Genus Project Mainstore/101/128/35 

no need to spend large sums of money. Your biggest expense is skin. I make my own so have 0 knowledge of who is the best or who has any for free..

It can be quite complicated with so many options people put into the folders, consult note cards for best instructions.  I never got in the one skin for body one skin for face loop and I been on SL 16 years and I am STILL a bit confused over it all now. So, I use 1 skin to rule all skins and no need to remember orders to apply. That you will get as you progress in your SL journey.

As far as LucyBody goes it will fit 90% of Lara (Maitreya) clothing and shoes so shopping will be fun for clothing, but always get a demo.

then you need some hairs, and those are EASY to come by.

Group gifts,

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Magika/135/128/22  - easily one of the BEST hair creators on SL

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/VALHAL/119/132/23  - NO Match Brand - (really extensive line of hairs)

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hells End/145/160/21  (- MIRJA - hair   ( formerly Emo-tions))

then you are going to need a AO (Animation override)  tons on marketplace for free.

After a few hours you should be set, I defer to others on skins so, use their knowledge with this and you should be set. (See Bunny's List)

I hope I made this easy to understand how to construct an avatar. Hopefully it wont be so complicated you sign off and never return...

Do not overthink it or let the bickering on your thread confuse you.

You can also go to Help Island and there will probably be someone there to help, just ask in open chat.

Edited by SpiritSparrow Skydancer
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

OP, are you more confused than ever with these advisors?

Ah, yes - so let's instead advise them with a page worth of a random bunch of cheapo off-brand stuff that just make the whole compatibility thing even more confusing, even though there was no economical constraints expressed to be an issue to begin with. Wasn't aware not knowing how to design an avatar was an indication of poverty, in fact; seeing as how people manage to look like absolute muppets in spite of spending hundreds of dollars on their avies I would never have suspected such a correlation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

It doesn't matter in which order you put on a skin and a tattoo, skins are always the bottommost layer, tattoo layers always go on top of the skin. If you yourself find the way in which layers work confusing, perhaps you shouldn't try to tout a brand that diverges from convention as a solution to learning how it actually works. It's a perfectly simple process once you grasp it, and the sooner you set yourself up against that challenge, the sooner it will become clear. 

It's the exact same reason people advise against the OP's query about buying a 'complete avatar' as a solution, it's a short-sighted fix which just means there'll be more problems (and L$ to spend) in the near future.

But they're not inquiring about skins alone, they want to figure out the whole avatar thing, to which I've already given what I believe to be the easiest solution (that doesn't skip any of the steps). There's no point in any of us advising they get this or that body or head (or skin) when we have no idea what sort of avatar it is they want.

One advice that I got from the creator of PUMEC: always start with adding the body layer and then the head layer. Reason behind it is that the skin layer of the body is cut off at the neck and that the skin of the head is surpassing that cut off. AKA a build in neck fade. Of course, not all head layers are like this, but most are.

Edited by Dorientje Woller
  • Thanks 1

I found this wonderful video! And it really applies to whatever lovely free or purchased body you have. I did not include the purchased options because those were covered in another post.  He has a lot of great easy to understand videos.

and this one is pretty good as well for Genus heads.

Edited by SpiritSparrow Skydancer
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Esther Bunny said:

My suggestion would be to try ( demos ) 

Maitreya ( Body Only ) 
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Maitreya Isle/207/165/26

LeLutka ( Heads )
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LeLutka/126/126/24

Skin ( Body & Head )  - [theSkinnery]   http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fruitatious/142/106/24

Skin ( Body & Head )  - Glam Affair
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Beauty Avatar couture/163/134/24

Skin ( Body & Head ) DeeTaleZ's Skins 
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/DeeTaleZ/129/139/35

Please Note: this is only a suggestion for the easiest and most compatible Body, and Head. 

This is a wonderful list, you have so many options if you want to spend thousands or just a few lindens, also great list of skins! Bravo Bunny!

• Like 2

Thank you so much everyone. I have a lelutka head and maitreya body. Everything is OK until I try to put on the skin which came from Lure. When I put on the body, excellent, when I then add the head it shows where the neck and head meet. A lovely lady talked me through but I still can't get it to work. I have BOM on and I'm not wearing any alphas as she suggested. I'm doing something wrong but can I hell find out what!!!! 

• Like 3

Edit: Misread.

1 hour ago, RhiannaReach said:

When I put on the body, excellent, when I then add the head it shows where the neck and head meet.

It sounds like you may need to change the neck fit setting in the Maitreya HUD on the Skin/Base tab:

d751c1ba647849004f658e1f1aa00ffa.png

Edited by Orwar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RhiannaReach said:

How do I do that Orwar?  The neck is darker than the body yet they are both supposed to be the same.

Darker neck .. Could be a few things, I'll give you a nudge in-world, or if you could post a picture here we might be able to figure it out.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 214 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.