You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You need to DERENDER AND BLOCK (that block is important or they will come back when you relog each time).   There IS a setting for GLOW that is likely (hopefully) in the Linden viewer also. That would help with some of it perhaps but not all.  

• Like 2

If it's on a Bellisseria Linden Home you can AR it. Light sources in Bellisseria are not allowed to cross into other people's land - they CAN cross into the public land but not into another resident's parcel:

*Lights or particles on your parcel should not extend into your neighbors parcels or houses.

Whether or not you are on Bellisseria, you can se how far a light source actually spreads with this:

Screenshot2023-09-30214323.png.976154113353ded8010d3c53ee5f6dc7.png

Which will cause lights to show up like so:

Screenshot2023-09-30214656.thumb.png.54b20a686a274c5ede409bfe12a3c8df.png

These light cross over into the road, but not into any other resident's land.

Here you can see that the house on the bottom has a light that is going into the neighbor's land, in violation of the Belli rules:

Screenshot2023-09-30214547.thumb.png.c330b6d8e6b910201711cd6e2d55d034.png

Outside of Bellisseria you either need to talk to your estate landlord or if on mainland - derender.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, StrongZer0 said:

Derendering the object does not remove the light, or the source of the light. It only removes it from your field of view.

Using my last post...

Here I have created a light:

image.thumb.png.62a219a2e6716d5c79e0dabdfaa3a094.png

I then right clicked it and hit derender:

image.thumb.png.bf234a307989250ebb99c08517c207ea.png

and the object not only derenders, the light it was making also goes away:

Screenshot2023-09-30215253.thumb.png.afad56b53d9790338c6431f312eefa14.png

So derendering other people's lights will solve the issue.

Now excuse me while I log out and in to get that object back so I can delete it - because I already logged out before I remembered I could just get it with the asset black list. ;)

PS:

This also works on things that are glowing:

image.thumb.png.b64e3c97923ddb2aea1057567c64a1ab.png

image.thumb.png.ba7eda17b4f56001830ca033b7066b22.png

There is at least one way, possible 2; that people can make things you cannot derender, but I won't post that here. One of those ways is explicitly banned in Belli for other reasons (derendering after all, isn't an official feature of SL), the other is not.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

If it's on a Bellisseria Linden Home you can AR it. Light sources in Bellisseria are not allowed to cross into other people's land - they CAN cross into the public land but not into another resident's parcel:

Thanks, but this is just standard old mainland. Not Bellisseria or Linden homes. Nevertheless, the metadata method may be a good tool so show the neighbor that has the offending light source and help me locate it too. Thanks.

4 hours ago, StrongZer0 said:

Thanks, but this is just standard old mainland. Not Bellisseria or Linden homes. Nevertheless, the metadata method may be a good tool so show the neighbor that has the offending light source and help me locate it too. Thanks.

Yeah, that's why I followed up looking into derender - my second post. It does work.

2 hours ago, MrsSeren said:

On Mainland, you can AR still as my neighbour had a large sign that was very visible from my part of my land and I AR; it was dealt with because when I next logged on, the sign had gone.

Signs are a bit of a specific call out due to old issues with 'ad farms' in the first few years of SL.

For the most part mainland has no covenant.

Unless you physically obstruct someone's land, put up signs above a certain height, or violate the maturity policy there are very few consequences. Even blocking mainland rivers and roads is often tolerated (though this can vary).

A trick that probably still works for those not using Advanced Lighting Model: Set up a barrier of point-source lights along the perimeter, full intensity black. That old renderer can only handle the 6 or so nearest light sources, so if there are enough to saturate the scene, the more distant ones shouldn't be seen.

(I've had ALM on for ages, and post-PBR it'll be the only option, but the above is how I remember it working, ages ago. In fact, strangely enough, "nearest" used to be measured from the avatar location rather than from the cam; I can't imagine that's still true though.)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

In fact, strangely enough, "nearest" used to be measured from the avatar location rather than from the cam; I can't imagine that's still true though.)

If you trying to adjust the lighting around an avatar it would be kind of important for the nearest to be measured by where the avatar was. Otherwise lights would have strange flickering in and out as you adjusted camera position for a better shot - which in fact does happen with 'environmental world lighting' and can be very jarring when trying to set up a scene for a screenshot.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.