Unashamedly Bots

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 233 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's a shame, innit? When you've got an interest and nobody else talks about it!  Good for you!

I would like to see more threads about bots, with photos and examples of how useful and fun they are to use. My ex-partner/mentor used to play around with bots, and one chap many years ago allegedly used them as part of an "art installation". 

I'll wheel this one out again, as I get a mention at the beginning. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Where did Phil say the number of bots is increasing?

His statement where he said he was surprised how many there were. After the years he has been here, it would be surprising for him to be surprised if it is the same as it has been for those years. Surprised?

That and the amount of previous posters who have mentioned the observed uptick in visiting bots to their own places.

Are you on Mainland or an Estate.

I haven't taken time to check profiles but in the span of a week I have had twenty  "Avatars" visit my region. I haven't asked my Estate owner if they have banned bots from the Estate but the fact I an seeing Bonnie Bots indicates to me they haven't. This is a Sailing Estate so I am not out in the middle of nowhere.

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

His statement where he said he was surprised how many there were. After the years he has been here, it would be surprising for him to be surprised if it is the same as it has been for those years. Surprised?

To put your mind at rest, I have noticed neither an increase nor a decrease in the number of bots. I had no idea how many visited sims, so I was surprised by the number of them, that's all. There's no need to imagine things.

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

To put your mind at rest, I have noticed neither an increase nor a decrease in the number of bots. I had no idea how many visited sims, so I was surprised by the number of them, that's all. There's no need to imagine things.

No need to as there been enough others reporting an uptick in bots around.

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is it "unashamedly", or "unabashedly"?

@Scylla Rhiadra- paging an English expert. Lion dum.

lol

Well, the denotative meanings of the words are very close: they can generally be used interchangeably.

However, "unashamed" tends to suggest a more passive response, where "unabashed" is more active, as though almost defiant.

Thus, if you are unashamed about something, you're more or less shrugging off any criticism it might evoke. But if you "unabashedly" doing something -- say, hold a particular opinion -- then it is more likely that you are almost daring people to criticize it.

I'd say in the context of this thread, that "unabashedly" is probably a bit closer to Phil's stance. But "unashamedly" is fine too. That's reinforced by the fact that he uses the adverbial form ("-ly"), which suggests consciously doing something. He's not just "unashamed" to be talking about bots: he is being a bit "in your face" and insistent ("unabashed") about it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

lol

Well, the denotative meanings of the words are very close: they can generally be used interchangeably.

However, "unashamed" tends to suggest a more passive response, where "unabashed" is more active, as though almost defiant.

Thus, if you are unashamed about something, you're more or less shrugging off any criticism it might evoke. But if you "unabashedly" doing something -- say, hold a particular opinion -- then it is more likely that you are almost daring people to criticize it.

I'd say in the context of this thread, that "unabashedly" is probably a bit closer to Phil's stance. But "unashamedly" is fine too. That's reinforced by the fact that he uses the adverbial form ("-ly"), which suggests consciously doing something. He's not just "unashamed" to be talking about bots: he is being a bit "in your face" and insistent ("unabashed") about it.

huh girl.gif

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suspect they fall into 2 categories:

- Reputable Bot operators for grid surveys, etc.

- Companies like BB who most likely feel pressure to comply due to all the negative publicity.

Anyone else, why bother?

All of the BB bots were marked as Scripted Agents at the creation of the accounts. We had one of our accounts fraudulently reported as being unregistered and after much back and forth with LL we were able to get it unbanned, as it had never been registered as anything other than a Scripted Agent.

We've actually experimented with a number of different methods to identify if an account is a bot or not and if they're registered. I've helped a number of bot operators make sure their bots are actually registered and have reported a number of bot operators who clearly had no interest in registering their accounts. We are very much in support of people openly sharing information about their bots and the information the bots gather.. Sharing information about Second Life and how people use it is what we're all about after all.

As to bots being used to maintain the active user count.. Don't forget all the people who AFK. I used to stay logged in 24/7 for months at a time. There are also a LOT of accounts that aren't strictly bots but are left logged in for various reasons, including games such as Tiny Empire. I've talked with a number of people who keep multiple alt accounts logged in as well for various reasons, often times for RP. If your concurrent user count is being scrapped from the map, which is how most groups do it, then I'd suggest figuring at least 10-20k of the users online are not actual unique users.

The individual who I'd say has done the best to track bot accounts in SL is Lou Netizen. https://lounetizen.com Lou uses a number of methods to track and identify bot groups and has done an amazing job at cataloging them. Lou is also amazingly respectful about privacy, so if you do run one of the bot cohorts and want to clarify what your cohort does but doesn't want your name shared please do message Lou and talk with her!

Edited by Skyler Pancake
Expanding on topic of the post itself. Then further edits, cause Lou is awesome and needed metion.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

lol

Thank you!

To better help my understanding, one may be illustrated as when a teenage lad is caught by his mother, doing what everyone knows boys his age do, and of course by that I mean perusing one of those magazines - an illustrated "Bot-Fanciers Monthly". (Despite his mum's predictable protests of, "what would the vicar say", and perhaps "how do you expect one day to find a good woman if you've got your nose in the bots".)

While, the other may be illustrated by a pensioner caught by his wife, tinkering in the shed with a bot - again - instead of helping with the chores, like he said he would.

How do those examples sound, as examples of where the two words could be used, in the context of a man merely pursuing a natural interest in Bots?

1 hour ago, Skyler Pancake said:

As to bots being used to maintain the active user count.. Don't forget all the people who AFK. I used to stay logged in 24/7 for months at a time. There are also a LOT of accounts that aren't strictly bots but are left logged in for various reasons, including games such as Tiny Empire. I've talked with a number of people who keep multiple alt accounts logged in as well for various reasons, often times for RP. If your concurrent user count is being scrapped from the map, which is how most groups do it, then I'd suggest figuring at least 10-20k of the users online are not actual unique users.

The individual who I'd say has done the best to track bot accounts in SL is Lou Netizen. https://lounetizen.com Lou uses a number of methods to track and identify bot groups and has done an amazing job at cataloging them. Lou is also amazingly respectful about privacy, so if you do run one of the bot cohorts and want to clarify what your cohort does but doesn't want your name shared please do message Lou and talk with her!

I would like to point out for anyone else reading the thread, that while the first part of your post responds to my quote, the remainder of your post (which I quoted above) is more generally about other points in the thread and not something I took issue with. I don't have a dog in the fight over "concurrent user counts".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thank you!

To better help my understanding, one may be illustrated as when a teenage lad is caught by his mother, doing what everyone knows boys his age do, and of course by that I mean perusing one of those magazines - an illustrated "Bot-Fanciers Monthly". (Despite his mum's predictable protests of, "what would the vicar say", and perhaps "how do you expect one day to find a good woman if you've got your nose in the bots".)

While, the other may be illustrated by a pensioner caught by his wife, tinkering in the shed with a bot - again - instead of helping with the chores, like he said he would.

How do those examples sound, as examples of where the two words could be used, in the context of a man merely pursuing a natural interest in Bots?

I am not competent to comment upon either of these instances, I'm afraid!

Sure?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skyler Pancake said:

I've [...] reported a number of bot operators who clearly had no interest in registering their accounts.

Bots do NOT have to be registered as scripted agents. Unless the bots you reported were staying in the same place, AND the land they were on was set to show in search, you were well out of order, and wasting LL's time.

ETA
I've now learned that all bots need to be registered, regardless of where they are.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Bots do NOT have to be registered as scripted agents. Unless the bots you reported were staying in the same place, AND the land they were on was set to show in search, you were well out of order, and wasting LL's time.

If you own a Second Life account primarily operating as a Scripted Agent, you must specify this on the Scripted Agent Status page. By identifying Scripted Agents, you help us give you more accurate account statistics and in-world search results.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Scripted_Agent_Policy

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

@Scylla Rhiadra Oh. Things have changed since the scripted agent thing came out. Initially, it was introduced to avoid counting bots for traffic, and bots had to be registered if they were on land that's in search. I stand corrected.

Yeah, this was in response to the furor over BBs. I thought you were around for that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, this was in response to the furor over BBs. I thought you were around for that?

The BBs got going when I was out of SL for a couple of years, so I missed the change.

Another change I missed was LL actually wanting us to AR bots. Initially, they specifically said not to report them because they'll keep tabs on things themselves. I learned about that change not long ago

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sorry, had I realized that, I'd have been a bit less matter-of-fact and abrupt in citing the regulation. My apologies, Phil.

Nooo. I perceived nothing negative in your post. Nothing at all. Just sharing a fact was the way I read it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 233 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.