SL Land Auctions: Highlights!

Safeguards

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone🐻

I love learning about land in SL and sharing what I know with others. I was reading some topics in the land forums and I noticed that there isn't one dedicated to the SL Auctions! Problem solved, because we have this thread now. A few topics that I think would be interesting here:

1) Parcels available: Let's talk about them and highlight the best ones to help those who are looking for a nice home

2) Wins: Celebrate! When you get the parcel of your dreams, show it to us! Or show off a parcel that you won in the past (So cool)

3) Abandoned land: Show places that you think should be at the auctions but aren't there yet

I feel like this will be a beary good time!

Edited by Safeguards
  • Like 1

4) Why auctions suck

In my opinion, auctions are a waste of time. If you find a parcel you like, cross your fingers and hope LL will sell it to you direct. If a parcel is at all desirable and LL puts it up for auction, flippers will buy it. All auctions do is help flippers find and buy the best parcels.

@BilliJo Aldrin Its lucky to buy it directly. Most of the time the good parcels are saved for the auctions (rightfully so), because LL knows they are worth more than the 1L$/m2 that they charge for that type of sale. Buying land at the auction is still usually way cheaper than buying it from someone else if a person wants that land. So its worth looking into it, I think. Sometimes good land ends up being sold there for pretty cheap prices, it's how I got my home too and Im pretty happy with it. But I understand that its not for everyone.

Edited by Safeguards
  • Like 1

Some special parcels coming up at the auctions:

2 Bay City - Morton (M) parcels:

1. 992m:   https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/278805/bay-city-morton-28-58-moderate-992m
  2. 1024m: https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/278806/bay-city-morton-28-74-moderate-1024m

Be warned, these will probably get some very high bids because they're protected (roadside), double prim and in Bay City (End date: August 5, 12:00 PM SLT)

Gray (G) 3072m

https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/278894/gray-32-152-general-3072m

A tiny island with a great view of the ocean (not sailable, but it's protected). Its in one of the color sims (gray) which is pretty cool. Because the rating is G (general) the bids will probably not get too high. (End date: August 06, 12:00 PM SLT)

Besma (M) 1136m

https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/278998/besma-16-238-moderate-1136m

Water parcel with a nice depth, it's protected on one side and is good for those who like to sail! (End date: August 07, 12:00 PM SLT)

Geoduck (M) 3392m

https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/278995/geoduck-38-224-moderate-3392m

Sailable beach parcel, protected by route 7, lovely for those who like to sail. The shape is a bit strange though, triangular. Warning: the bids might get high. (End date: August 07, 12:00 PM SLT)

Edited by Safeguards
  • Like 1

A true, mustache-twirling land-flipper would discourage residents from bidding on auctions, preserving more profit for themselves. It's important to realize that unless you're planning to resell land at a profit, auctions are not a good way to find super bargains, but they're a great way to offer what you're happy to pay for a parcel in case it's worth more to you than to any other bidder.

The most common disappointment of auction newbies results from misguided attempts to raise their bid near the close of the auction. Flippers can sometimes win that game; ordinary residents? never.

With that understood, and with tier to spare, auctions can be fun, and I think I like the idea of "reviews" of parcels at or coming to auction. They're fun to shop without a guide, but I don't think reviews take away from that.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Safeguards said:

But I understand that its not for everyone.

I would say it's hardly for anyone, at least as far as premium parcels are concerned. Businesses will increase the price of an auction until a resale becomes unviable, then private entities who don't care about losing money will bid on the parcel. What adds to this disadvantage for private buyers is that, once they need to get rid of the parcel, they usually don't have a lot of time to sell it so that their resell price will be way lower than the purchase price in addition.

7 hours ago, Safeguards said:

Gray (G) 3072m

https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/278894/gray-32-152-general-3072m

A tiny island with a great view of the ocean (not sailable, but it's protected). Its in one of the color sims (gray) which is pretty cool. Because the rating is G (general) the bids will probably not get too high. (End date: August 06, 12:00 PM SLT)

I made a site visit to this one and it has some extra potential. For one thing, it has protected land on both ends, as well as the void on the front side. The back side is a 4096 for sale or rent (currently available to rent and nicely landscaped and furnished). Note that this color sim allows +/- 40 m terraforming—which can be good or bad, and that adjacent protected land here buffers from potential "terrorforming" neighbors. For anyone in the market for a G-rated parcel, this one deserves a look.

• Thanks 1

1. For a while I thought this thread should move to the Land Forum : Regions for Sale : Mainland subforum (where I think @LittleMe Jewell would prefer) because as @belindacarson observes it does sorta read like an advertisement, albeit advertising of Linden land. If the thread were to have any commercial impact it might be to starve land resellers of some profits while getting buyers some relief from those markups. Maybe also make Auctions a tiny bit larger L$ sink for the Lab, to better afford those spiffy Premium Plus stipends. Anyway, whatever, I couldn't decide so Let Inertia Take The Wheel. Maybe it'll just die off. But until that happens…

2. Results of recent auction highlights:

Besma and Geoduck are still open until noon tomorrow (Monday). Also for tomorrow three Zindra (Adult) parcels, 1 4096 and a 2048 in Yuxley and a 1024 in Old Elms, none in specially zoned Kama City, and being Adult all likely to bring several L$/m²—but possibly less than a reseller would charge, we'll see.

There don't seem to be any auctions scheduled to close later than tomorrow, so if they open any at noon they won't close until Wednesday. Time off for good behavior!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

For a while I thought this thread should move to the Land Forum : Regions for Sale : Mainland subforum (where I think @LittleMe Jewell would prefer) because as @belindacarson observes it does sorta read like an advertisement, albeit advertising of Linden land.

I wasn't suggesting that this thread move.  

The #1 item in the OP was that we should list available parcels here and discuss them.  I simply pointed the OP to where "available parcels" should already be listed.

• Thanks 3

Some other good parcels that will be in the auctions soon (Start time: August 07, 12:00 PM SLT)

Waumer (A) 1024m

https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/279146/waumer-240-32-adult-1024m

Adult land protected on 1 side by the road, next to a cool retaining wall built by the moles. This parcel is near the beautiful Waumer lake, so a nice view is possible there. A small portion of the region (in that lake, especially) is protected LL-owned land, which also contributes to less lag (less land available for purchase = usually less neighbors = less lag.) (End time: August 09, 12:00 PM SLT)

Shakers Stoop (M) 8192m

https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/279147/shakers-stoop-186-30-moderate-8192m

Big parcel between two big lakes. It's not protected and doesn't have direct access to the water, but it has the potential for a big building with a gorgeous view on both sides! (End time: August 09, 12:00 PM SLT)

Good luck!

Edited by Safeguards
  • Like 2

Catching up a bit (and a bit late), the auctions mentioned here that closed on Monday the 7th got these results:

The highlighted ones that closed yesterday (Wednesday the 9th) were:

Incidentally, two parcels failed to attract any bids in yesterday's auction.

Auctions listed to close today (Thursday the 10th) include:

There may be others of special interest that I missed. Also, auctions closing tomorrow and scheduled for up to Saturday are listed on the Auctions page. Anybody spot any keepers?

• Like 2

I would love to actively participate but my eyes cannot comprehend whatever 1880s font you’re trying to bring to the table @Safeguards. I beg you - please use the default (or something we can see). My brain aches. 

This being said, I’ve always gotten my mainland parcels from the auction because the default sale price via ticket is 1L/sq meter, and the auctions start at .5/sq meter. Some parcels are decent snags. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Cedric Brown said:

A good parcel, but this good?  Nautilus - Melqart (228, 204) closed 8/28 for L$150,010 1024m2 2x protected, 8 bidders. 

Be careful if you visit, full 5 second security orb warning prior to ejection

Someone overpaid for that one, unless the person really wanted that specific parcel for some reason, it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay L$150,010 for it. In this case, there are other parcels for sale outside of the auction that are cheaper, which makes it make even less sense. I found one for 97 thousand L$ and another one for about 120 thousand. I don't get it either. Strange results are bound to happen every once in a while.

Edited by Safeguards

Good parcels that are in the auctions right now (End time: August 30, 12:00 PM SLT)

Kraizek (A) 1024m

https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/280764/kraizek-16-240-adult-1024m

Adult water parcel, 1x protected with a "sunset" view (infinite ocean). Those are usually very expensive so the bids might get high. We'll see how it goes.

Tariah (A) 1024m

https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/280766/tariah-240-224-adult-1024m

Adult 1x protected roadside parcel. Caution: Region might be laggy due to the presence of an AFK sex club, but it might be worth getting anyway if the price is good.

Good luck!

Edited by Safeguards
  • Like 1

Many good parcels seem to be going for a song on the SL Auctions.  If you just want a place to call home, a minimum bid on a 512 is $L500, on a 1024 is $L550, and on a 2048 is $L1050.

My alt had tier going to waste so I bid on a 1024 in Lota, and got it for L$590. It has the best and worst views in the Mainland.  I had  a structure in my inventory (Barnesworth Anubis' La Jolla house) and was able to modify it, and rotate it to fit the parcel.

Here's a secret - after a week I no longer minded the neighborhood clutter. I remember my Mom telling me "After a week on the mantelpiece, a sock becomes part of the decor."

Don't be afraid to try living on the Mainland.

AuctionlandinLota.jpg

Parcel in green.

BadviewLota.jpg

Typical Mainland view from one window (Hi def view). Not shown: a low skybox and some "giant prim" architecture".

GoodviewLota.jpg

On the other side, just hillside and sky.

View of lunaris train.jpg

Far below, part of the Lunalis small-gauge railroad. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lunalis/206/232/103

Edited by Rufferta
added landmark & minimum bids
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some fairly nice parcels in Schelton (Adult) are up for auction. Especially this one; http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Schelton/241/244/35 but anything on the east side is nice.

The market seems static lately, don't see much changing hands when it comes to good parcels. I attribute to high prices and the owner's deep pockets (they ain't budging).

This will be a tell though on what larger "land baron" has the funds to expand further while the market is stalled. Maybe someone can could actually get a good deal here. 

Not me, I'm already over extended. And broke 😭   Good luck!     Btw, these parcels cannot be subdivided or joined.

Edited by Cedric Brown
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Noticed a couple Bay City parcels won at auction for around L$50m2....I knowwwwwww thats expensive but relative to what ppl have been asking on parcel sales, those are deals, even though they were on a G rated region. Only 4-5 bidders also so less competition out there atm. 

There is one in M rated Nautilus coming up Dec. 26. Worth a bid if you have the tier to try a steal on it. ... folks afk during holidays, land sales hurting etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.