Have the forums changed?

cirleen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Good for you!

And I wish all would realize that eventually if you keep posting then others become accustomed to your presence and are less suspicious.

Maybe I'm just naive but why would anyone be suspicious of a stranger/newbie they don't know anything about? That just seems really weird and immature to me.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Missy Starchild said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Good for you!

And I wish all would realize that eventually if you keep posting then others become accustomed to your presence and are less suspicious.

Maybe I'm just naive but why would anyone be suspicious of a stranger/newbie they don't know anything about? That just seems really weird and immature to me.

Well, my take on it Missy is that such a person has been hurt...they've been deceived by another and so they're wary of anyone they don't have much familiarity with.  Either that, or they are just the type of person who lacks trust in anything mysterious, and new people are a bit of a mystery to us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Compared to the early days (2003-2005/6) this place is tame.

It's so tame that I rarely  post anything anymore. I drop in once a week or so, scan the topics on the first page of the GD, buzz through the pet peeves thread and leave, usually with nothing to say before I go.  Then I browse the "The all-in-one Home Furnishings Topic! " in the belli forum to see if there's any kind of deal I might want to check out and Whoosh! I'm gone again.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

It's so tame that I rarely  post anything anymore. I drop in once a week or so, scan the topics on the first page of the GD, buzz through the pet peeves thread and leave, usually with nothing to say before I go.  Then I browse the "The all-in-one Home Furnishings Topic! " in the belli forum to see if there's any kind of deal I might want to check out and Whoosh! I'm gone again.

Lurkey-Loo!! (from "Lookie-loo")

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

To be fair, this section still isn't the most welcoming to new posters, or returning ones. It's not horrible, but it's not as welcoming as people think. It's hard to get a foot in the door and not have every other person be suspicious. New and returning posters really do have to pay close attention to everything they say and do because someone is likely to assume they're someone else. Its a weird thing but I don't think it's special to just this place, it's everywhere. People all over are more suspicious of people they don't know, which is probably a good thing, so long as it eventually works itself out. 

I can say it feels a little awkward, for me, to jump right into posts, anywhere here on the forums. I'll keep trying, because I'm stubborn like that, but I understand why some people give up. 

Totally agree.

Some days, as an oldbie, I seem to fit, on other days I get treated like I trod in dog sh1t. Depends who's online. I don't have the best sense of timing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Some days, as an oldbie, I seem to fit, on other days I get treated like I trod in dog sh1t. Depends who's online. I don't have the best sense of timing.

I know what you mean!

One day when I logged on someone called me and a friend they disagreed with hyenas!!!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Missy Starchild said:

About the only time I see anyone be leery of someone new is, if they think they are a sock puppet/Alt of someone already here or that comes in to stir things up from time to time..

I'm pretty out of the loop on who those are, but it happens from time to time..

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Totally agree.

I do think as a forum we could do better at being inclusive and welcoming whether the person is new or returning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I do think as a forum we could do better at being inclusive and welcoming whether the person is new or returning.

I totally agree. The new person is on shakier ground because they don't know the ropes yet, and likely unsure whether they'd be accepted.  I've always advocated for treating the new person kindly.  However, over the years, I've learned to accept that some of the forum regulars are suspicious of new people to a degree, and don't give them the benefit of the doubt as easily in debates...it takes time to build trust...and sometimes the new person is tested a bit, in any group. So I've come around to being sensitive to the other side too.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I don't even drop in once a week , but perhaps once per month. Or quarter even. I used to be quite active on the forum and have had a lot of fun and hilarious times,  but I don't see that happening again anymore.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I totally agree. The new person is on shakier ground because they don't know the ropes yet, and likely unsure whether they'd be accepted.  I've always advocated for treating the new person kindly.  However, over the years, I've learned to accept that some of the forum regulars are suspicious of new people to a degree, and don't give them the benefit of the doubt as easily in debates...it takes time to build trust...and sometimes the new person is testing a bit, in any group. So I've come around to being sensitive to the other side too.

I actually tend to treat new people the same as I do anyone by default.  It's only in the presence of red flags when I start to get suspicious of anyone and that takes a while to observe.  One fault I have is that I don't always notice new people have arrived. 

There doesn't seem to be an active introduction and welcome topic that I'm aware of.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

About the only time I see anyone be leery of someone new is, if they think they are a sock puppet/Alt of someone already here or that comes in to stir things up from time to time..

I'm pretty out of the loop on who those are, but it happens from time to time..

I have been on other forums where this exact scenario has played out with regards to sockpuppet trolls, and it does become hard to trust whether someone is genuine or not, so I totally understand that perspective now because it's made me paranoid before.

I myself am more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt (unless there's massive red flags), but that's just me and I understand if others feel differently.

Edited by Missy Starchild
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Missy Starchild said:

People here have become suspicious that any new poster might be an alt of someone who is a troll, who is a sock puppet, or who is a sociology student doing a study on SL. 😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

People here have become suspicious that any new poster might be an alt of someone who is a troll, who is a sock puppet, or who is a sociology student doing a study on SL. 😆

This ebil elephant is all of these things and more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

And now, we have to worry if they are AI Bots!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I know what you mean!

One day when I logged on someone called me and a friend they disagreed with hyenas!!!

Oh yes, that day you and the other two hyenas ganged up on another oldbie forum member and I stuck up for him I seem to recall. 

I am not easily provoked, so well done, gold star for you Luna, and your little alts too 😜 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

here doesn't seem to be an active introduction and welcome topic that I'm aware of.

There's the "Tell us who you are / We want to know who you are" topic, or similar. Started by a Linden!  I forget the actual thread title.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I know what you mean!

They have no clue, or would use the term "Yeeners". 

Nothing wrong with 'Yeeners, just a happy, laughing dog that travels in packs! 

• Like 2

Speaking of insults from n00bs, my own "least favorite" is being called a "shill".

There's a good sign of "negative Forum changes":  If new people come in, with an entitled attitude that they can just complain, and anyone who provides a viewpoint which supports Second Life / Linden Lab is a "shill"!

Sorry if the above sounds like a Peeve.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:
45 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I know what you mean!

Oh yes, that day you and the other two hyenas ganged up on another oldbie forum member and I stuck up for him I seem to recall. 

I was not even a part of that argument about our dear forum member, Sid, and have no idea what he said that apparently irked some others :(

I'm glad to be part of a club though, and had no idea there were two other hyenas!

• Like 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Speaking of insults from n00bs, my own "least favorite" is being called a "shill".

There's a good sign of "negative Forum changes":  If new people come in, with an entitled attitude that they can just complain, and anyone who provides a viewpoint which supports Second Life / Linden Lab is a "shill"!

Sorry if the above sounds like a Peeve.

Yes I was so upset over being called a Linden fangurl  (just because I would not trash a Mole build and confronted particular trashing that I felt were unjustified) that I deliberately posted a couple of negative things about LL just to prove I am not.  I may be more affected by unfair negative accusations than I"m often aware of.

I have seen this quite often, so this says to me that the forum has not changed much in some ways  :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Missy Starchild said:

It's often the people who come in with a controversial topic as their first post and proceed to bad mouth every post made by anyone.   Even when the replies are civil, they twist them and then toss out words like Shill and Normie or Oldbie.  Often, it's a thread in continuation or related to one already started.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.