Alts in the forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was thinking about this recently, and yes i know I might be opening a can of worms that leads to this thread getting shut down or deleted, but oh well.

We all know that there are alts here in the forms, and probably there are some we don't even know about.

So my thought was I wonder what people think of that, not just, or even primarily whether people approve of alts here. What are people's opinions of how they should be handled. I know of a couple of guys with female alts who post pictures of those alts under their main account. I do that different posting pictures under the alt account. There of course may be aly accounts here no one knows about for sure. I suppose some people might post everything in the forums under and alt they do not use regularly to do SL. 

So anyway there it is. I know better than to try to direct the direction this takes after I hit the Submit Topic button.

• Like 2

I don't care. I assume everyone has alts for various purposes. Most people aren't using their alts to scam or deceive, and it really isn't my business whether they disclose or not. People are not owed the real life gender or biological sex of their fellow Second Lifers, nor the names of their various accounts.

In the interests of full disclosure, yes I have an alt. I have referenced that alt previously and occasionally post under that identity on this board. No, I will not disclose that identity.

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 12

It does bug me when an alt posts in the forums, especially if I don't know who they are and it's apar rant everyone else does. I just think it's odd to have Alt actually posting replies to a thread.

As far as Alts in SL. Most people have them.  A lot of people deny it.  Some use them and say they don't. Shrugs, I stopped worrying about it after my first year. Too much to try and figure out.

• Like 4

I never really seen a reason to bring mine to the forum.. I* mean if I say something brilliant, I don't want that other biotch getting the credit for it..

She's such an attention whooooore! \o/

As far as if others do it.. To each their own.. They probably are much better at sharing the spotlight than I am..

😈

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

49 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

I was thinking about this recently, and yes i know I might be opening a can of worms that leads to this thread getting shut down or deleted, but oh well.

We all know that there are alts here in the forms, and probably there are some we don't even know about.

So my thought was I wonder what people think of that, not just, or even primarily whether people approve of alts here. What are people's opinions of how they should be handled. I know of a couple of guys with female alts who post pictures of those alts under their main account. I do that different posting pictures under the alt account. There of course may be aly accounts here no one knows about for sure. I suppose some people might post everything in the forums under and alt they do not use regularly to do SL. 

So anyway there it is. I know better than to try to direct the direction this takes after I hit the Submit Topic button.

Firstly, ANY thread has the potential to veer off course and be closed down. :/ 

I don't really think much about whether I'm reading or responding to a post made by alts. Unless they're obvious alts of people who for one reason or another have made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I quite like to see people making photos as the opposite sex of their real self. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Firstly, ANY thread has the potential to veer off course and be closed down.

True, and it is also true that any time you get behind the wheel you risk being killed but sometimes you the odds are against you.

2bec823c144819d509b81f144d6abea0.jpg

• Haha 3

Just now, BillFletcher said:

True, and it is also true that any time you get behind the wheel you risk being killed but sometimes you the odds are against you.

2bec823c144819d509b81f144d6abea0.jpg

I would fully expect to be killed if I went out in one of those. Is it a Peel 50? What. A. Vehicle. 

But, I know what you mean. 

If this thread does threaten to go over to the bad place, just veer it back in the right direction. 

Hope this won't melt your head, Bill, but I think it's plain to see this is the alt of me, Marigold, above. This alt was brought into the forums quite a lot of years ago, when the forums actually changed for what Linden Lab must have believed for an upgrade, different software, whatever, and there was some argy bargy from one of the regular forum posters having a grumble about the post counts or "status" that some of us carried over from the previous forums.

(ie we didn't get reset to "0")

So I brought this one in to kind of prove a point, that I didn't mind coming in on zero. I occasionally use it for testing purposes, and because sometimes I just like to type in blue.  (Now I've just melted my own head by making that statement :D ) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BillFletcher said:

So my thought was I wonder what people think of that, not just, or even primarily whether people approve of alts here.

It only bothers me if I know someone well as one avatar and they begin interacting with me as another avatar, yet do not tell me we've been relating with their original avatar. There can be a sense they're trying to fool me, is the problem.  That may or may not be true though.

Otherwise, on the forum especially, it doesn't matter much.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:
9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I am an alt....this is not my original avatar    :)

Well  yes technically both the accounts I use now are alts.

Yes, and I was being a bit silly on purpose...

3 minutes ago, ballparkdogg said:

I just think of someone answering their own posts.  Reminds me of someone in world bickering back and  forth with their own Alt  just for attention.

I know for sure of one person on these forums who brings in an alt to have mini altercations, but that's just for entertainment purposes, and it works for that. 

But I know of several people who have alts that they certainly have used in the past for inflating the "likes" on their own posts. As one of our teachers used to say at school, the only person they're fooling is themself. The likes aren't genuine, and that's rather sad. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, xDancingStarx said:

What made you create this topic,  why are you interested in the opinion of others about alts? What is your opinion on this topic?

I have in the past received some grief because of improper handling of alts, so I was just wondering what people thought. My opinion is this is SL do what you like, Oh wait that is my opinion on RL too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

I have in the past received some grief because of improper handling of alts

So I understand you're not talking about a specific abuse scenario where somebody would reply to posts on multiple accounts, but you're talking about the TOS compliant use of alts in general.

Since any account (no matter if alt or not) is bound to TOS, I don't see anything wrong about using alts to post on the forums. Someone may use an alt to freely express their opinion (while complying to TOS) and not be scared about being harassed inworld for any opinions they may have.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.