is this allowed?

Ingrid Ingersoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 300 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I haven't read the TOS lately, is there anything about sky-high particles etc?

[removed image because it identifies the owner of the objects]

Pic edited to protect the name of the grieffer as per forum mods

griffer 2.jpg

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
Imaged edited to protect land grieffer as per LL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I dont think there are any rules against it on mainland.

Years ago someone boughht a couple of 4x16 stretches of abandoned land on Rhoda and did something like what is pictured here.. ruining the look of the otherwise (at that time) beautifully landscaoped region. They had set the land for sale for an outrageous price.. making it hidious and hoping some of the residents would buy it just to get rid of the eyesore. It was ARed at least a dozen times and the Governance team did not take any noticeable action. I finally shelled out the 10,000 $L just to get rid of the eyesore about 2 years later

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Been going on for well over  a decade -- maybe almost two LOl.  Derender and blacklist.   

yes that hides the eyesore but I did not mention that it blocked access at key places so we could not walk from one spot to another along common pathways. In the Rhoda case, access was also an issue.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

See original post

The picture wasn't there before so yeah, I'd say it violates the rules concerning land sales on mainland...height restrictions and such.  Random neighbor NOT using particles to sell land?  That's a different story and I'd shut off particles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If this is on an Estate, fine. On Estates it's permitted by ToS and up to the Estate owner to decide whether it's permitted.

On Mainland, however, it is a clear violation of the Mainland policy portion of ToS, in a whole bunch of ways. But this situation was already addressed in another thread, with Animats citing chapter and verse.

To me, though, it is a real disservice to suggest anybody derender these eyesores. Nobody should have to stop a tour of Mainland and derender all the garbage that is in clear violation of the existing rules. Always, instead of de-rendering, file an abuse report.

The derender feature in some viewers has actually held back progress on removing these violations because people are led to believe (by adfarmers and others) that derendering is just the expected response. I suspect even Governance has fallen victim to this sloppy misinterpretation of policy. No, derendering is not nearly good enough, specifically for adfarm violations that clutter the view for passing grid explorers.

(Viewer-based derendering is marginally better than nothing for getting rid of non-violating content neighboring an owner's parcel, as long as there are never any visitors to the parcel and the owner just doesn't care what it looks like to anybody other than themselves. Proposals for server-side, parcel-based derendering are more interesting, but still shouldn't be considered adequate response to violating content.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

To me, though, it is a real disservice to suggest anybody derender these eyesores. Nobody should have to stop a tour of Mainland and derender all the garbage that is in clear violation of the existing rules. Always, instead of de-rendering, file an abuse report.

Those of us who stubbornly use the Official viewer can't derender, anyway.  Or did I miss it?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:
32 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Those of us who stubbornly use the Official viewer can't derender, anyway.  Or did I miss it?

AFAIK, it's not a feature of the Linden viewer, nor other viewers I use by choice.

It's in Firestorm.

Honestly, normally I would say "it should be a feature" but in this case I like your position. If you are derendering stuff because it is against TOS, then derender is not our friend.

• Like 4

the rules about this are found in a bit strange place

Linden Lab Official:Policy on ad farms and network advertisers - Second Life Wiki

here the quote for ALL advertisement:

to prevent some will tell that's not for landsales..

Does this policy include signs advertising parcels for sale?

Yes it does.

In addition, advertisements must comply with these requirements:

• They must be grounded to the terrain, not floating.
  • They must extend no higher than 8 m from the ground.
  • They must contain no rotating or flashing content and no particles.
  • They must not dispense unsolicited IMs, note cards, landmarks or content.
  • They must emit no light sources or glow (full bright is acceptable).
  • Advertising hoardings must be Phantom.
  • Ad content must be clearly Parcel lght G.png General in nature.
  • Ads must not contain sound or temp-on-rez content.
  • Ad content may not be political in nature.
  • Ban lines should be switched off.

All advertisers must make a reasonable attempt to fit in with the local area and to respect the wishes of Residents living nearby wherever possible. Linden Lab can and will, at its sole discretion, ask you to remove or modify unacceptable advertising-related content. If you use alternate accounts, groups or other methods to attempt to create a networked advertising business that extends over 50 placements without express permission from Linden Lab, you will be asked to remove them.

Finally, if a review your land transactions shows that your primary purpose in placing the advertising content is to force the sale of land rather than genuinely advertise, this will be deemed to be a violation and dealt with accordingly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 12:28 PM, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

It's been removed by LL I believe so thanks to them and for the info you guys provided here!

BRAVO!  ENCORE!  ENCORE!

(In case my intent isn't clear:  I thank you and encourage you to continue.)

Edited by Ardy Lay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 300 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.