Simulated intimacy in SL vs the world ..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The top and trending list on STEAM has two titles in the top five containing graphic sexual content, far more detailed than we can ever hope to manage.

OiwRxVN.png

Can we stop being ashamed of the massive adult community ?

Can LL start to put some effort into addressing the systemic problems that have undermined such content in SL since say one? (like the simplistic animation system)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Over the years, I have periodically read comments from people who thought that SL's sexual content and the presumed public perception that it had a lot of sexual content were negatives. They may be for a platform intended for use in the workplace. However, it seems to me that sexual content is inevitable and desirable in a virtual world that is intended for recreational use by adults. It's a feature, not a bug, and not something to be ashamed of.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The top and trending list on STEAM has two titles in the top five containing graphic sexual content, far more detailed than we can ever hope to manage.

OiwRxVN.png

Can LL start to put some effort into addressing the systemic problems that have undermined such content in SL since say one? (like the simplistic animation system)

I mean if I were to search things out on marketplace, even if it were something innocent. I get the adult rated stuff first. I feel like there is no problem. But then again, I don't care if sex is at the forefront of SL. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean if I were to search things out on marketplace, even if it were something innocent. I get the adult rated stuff first. I feel like there is no problem. But then again, I don't care if sex is at the forefront of SL. 

It depends on your perspective and who you listen to. A lot of folks have always felt that SL is too sexual / not respectable enough and that the adult content makes it "an embarrassment". That's not an attitude I share, personally, or even one I'm interested in thinking about in much detail -but that attitude is out there.

People think that if LL lost the sex and furries a 'respectable' audience made up of professionals would spring up out of thin air. No -it would not; THAT audience has better alternatives than SL. The only thing chasing out "the freaks" would accomplish would be to lose money for LL.

• Like 4

Iunno, Poly Bridge 3 and Cassette Beasts sound pretty controversial too... never mind The Button.

And I don't think SL is beind the times in how it implements animations because sex is embarrassing, I mean, there's plenty of things that use animations and aren't sexual. I just don't think people would want to pay gazillions for animations specially crafted to suit some new animation system in SL.

You know people would start charging more, even for old stuff mislabeled.

Unless the majority of users started migrating to some other platform that had everything SL has, plus a superior animation system, I don't see any change like that happening anytime soon.

As for people dissing SL for allowing adult content and adventures, well, the loudest critics probably play in secret and it's their own shame they're projecting. Who cares what they think, do what you want.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Han Held said:

It depends on your perspective and who you listen to. A lot of folks have always felt that SL is too sexual / not respectable enough and that the adult content makes it "an embarrassment". That's not an attitude I share, personally, or even one I'm interested in thinking about in much detail -but that attitude is out there.

People think that if LL lost the sex and furries a 'respectable' audience made up of professionals would spring up out of thin air. No -it would not; THAT audience has better alternatives than SL. The only thing chasing out "the freaks" would accomplish would be to lose money for LL.

If LL got rid of all the adult stuff , Second Life would be history in six months

Besides, what kind of life would it be without adult stuff, wait i know RL 😂

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

And I don't think SL is beind the times in how it implements animations because sex is embarrassing, I mean, there's plenty of things that use animations and aren't sexual.

Yeah .. go watch the trailer for Fetish Locator 3 .. what we have is crude by comparison. (you must be signed into steam and have enabled adult content)

The SL animation system is placeholder junk. It's the most rudimentary it's possible to be. This is why we float or ice skate about, can't hold hands, why there is no way to make couple animations work unless the two parties are *exactly* the same size and proportions as the original creator intended. even simple things like a hug are borked.

Sex animation are just laughably horrific, and it's not the creators fault, they couldn't make them work even if they wanted to.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Yeah .. go watch the trailer for Fetish Locator 3 .. what we have is crude by comparison. (you must be signed into steam and have enabled adult content)

The SL animation system is placeholder junk. It's the most rudimentary it's possible to be. This is why we float or ice skate about, can't hold hands, why there is no way to make couple animations work unless the two parties are *exactly* the same size and proportions as the original creator intended. even simple things like a hug are borked.

Sex animation are just laughably horrific, and it's not the creators fault, they couldn't make them work even if they wanted to.

Adjusting hover height helps a lot.

Not sure about you, but for me, the animations just set the scene, its the emoting that is the real attraction.

• Like 2

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

Adjusting hover height is a janky hack covering up for something that should just work. 

As you said, it only works perfectly if the avatars match the size the creators used. At least  some creators allow you to adjust your position in 3 directions, still not perfect, but it helps.

I mean with the animations, put in a ticket and tell them how they could do a major overhaul of the animation system. That is what I would do. But I have always been the same way, when it came to sex and sexual activity in SL. Modest, and conservative and behind closed doors. Doesn't mean everyone else has to do it. But I don't think SL needs to become more sexual and don't need to put it at the forefront. SL is more than just sex. And we need to show people that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

OiwRxVN.png

Hmm. If I had to choose between ^^ 

..and an upcoming iOS viewer, I'd choose the iOS viewer. IJS.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Multi avatar adult stuff is just the ultimate test case .. if that's right, then everything else anyone could ever want to do with animations would just work.

I think I would test the new systems using normal everyday animations, and if those work. Then get into the more complicated stuff. But then again, if I were you. I would post a ticket and tell them they need to totally overhaul their animation system. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I think I would test the new systems using normal everyday animations, and if those work. Then get into the more complicated stuff. But then again, if I were you. I would post a ticket and tell them they need to totally overhaul their animation system. 

I'm not seeking help. 

Making a ticket it not how things get done.

People have been asking for this for years and years at content creator meetings too.

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It's not that everyone is ashamed about it, it's just that most people just don't want to see this every day in SL. There are regions that are for this for a reason. I don't think there is really any systemic issue. But I have always been under the impression, that everyone needs to consent. That being said, SL isn't just about sex. It's a vast virtual world, with so much to do. Why put sex at the forefront? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Why put sex at the forefront? 

Because, as the saying goes, sex sells.  And sells very well in SL.  90% of the clothing I see at events has some body part hanging out.  I'm sure stores sell more of the Adult version of furniture than the PG even though PG is less expensive.  Some.only have an adult version.  Most of the top regions are either Adult related or filled.with avatars that SHOULD be in adult regions.  It's been like that since I started in 09.  Embrace it, LL!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Because, as the saying goes, sex sells.  And sells very well in SL.  90% of the clothing I see at events has some body part hanging out.  I'm sure stores sell more of the Adult version of furniture than the PG even though PG is less expensive.  Some.only have an adult version.  Most of the top regions are either Adult related or filled.with avatars that SHOULD be in adult regions.  It's been like that since I started in 09.  Embrace it, LL!

Wait you telling everyone to embrace it and just do it? Including LL? But I don't like showing off my crotch, nor do I like having SL sex. I am the exact same way in SL as I am RL. I understand that sex sells, but it makes it harder for us who don't want our crotches and boobs hanging out, to buy new clothing. You find the odd rare item that is modest and decent, and the rest of it is well Smutty. 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.