A Suggestion on Improving Mainland

Annie Evergreen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

Stumbling across them at random is not that likely. It's a needle in a haystack. When you aren't looking for them, you could go for years and never see one. Problem solved.

I've never in my 20 years gone looking for old mole builds and yet i find them. Am i trawling the mainland for old mole content? No. There's stuff along the roads, there's stuff in lakes, there's stuff in geographically neat places that are ruined by old junk. Put it all in a museum of mole prim objects that nobody will ever visit if it's sentimental to 6 people. Problem solved. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moles
21 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

The only really good mole work in my opinion is that of professional, well known content creators who LL hired for specific projects in places like Belli.

While the team has certainly expanded while we've been working on Bellisseria to cope with the extra workload, Many of us involved were, I think, Moles before that project started (including Ancient and Magic, who've made most of the houses, for which Dyna and I do the scripting).   I can't think of anyone who was hired specifically to work on Bellisseria and nothing else.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

While the team has certainly expanded while we've been working on Bellisseria to cope with the extra workload, Many of us involved were, I think, Moles before that project started (including Ancient and Magic, who've made most of the houses, for which Dyna and I do the scripting).   I can't think of anyone who was hired specifically to work on Bellisseria and nothing else.   

Thank you for all that you do!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

I can't think of anyone who was hired specifically to work on Bellisseria and nothing else.   

I didn't say "just for Bellisseria and nothing else". I said: "well known content creators who LL hired for specific projects in places like Belli."

I've been in sl for 20 years, I've known lindens, I've known people who worked as moles, this isn't uncommon for people who have been around as long as i have been. There are lots of us.  I'm confused by the attempts to discredit what I've said. 

This is obviously personal at this point, so I'm bowing out of this thread.

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 6:09 PM, Nukasa22 said:

While the work and effort and thoughts that went into any build can be appreciated, it must be allowed to voice the harsh reality that a lot of stuff in today's SL looks very bad compared to other games without triggering immediate defensive responses.

Agree. 

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I'm responding to this because it wasn't deleted.

[snip]

I don't know why Quartz didn't delete my original comment. Since he already deleted my response to your response, I'm not going to continue this discussion. I would happily delete my original comment if that would appease you, but I'm not going to continue this tit for tat derail. 

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm not going to continue this discussion. I would happily delete my original comment if that would appease you

I would like that considering you made a lot of false statements about me and the moles I've known. In turn, I will delete my response to your comments

I think the reason there is so much abandoned land is that it doesn't meet the needs of the majority of users. It isn't what people want.

People want land without too many neighbors - they want to be next to roads, sea, lakes, public spaces.

They want to be able to sail, or at least have a beach.

They also prefer flattish land. Why is so much SL mainland so amazingly steep as it rises out of the water? Maybe lots of California is built that way, and that influenced the early creators. But it's a b***h to build on.

I think there should be a new continent, a halfway house between trad mainland and Belli. Lots of roads and public space. Lots of islands and water parcels. Rules about ugliness, especially "privacy" screens and low sky clutter. It's not that hard to envisage, and lots of good ideas and discussion in this thread.

Oh, and one final suggestion for the future: make 4096 the default smallest parcel size, the amount of land you get for being premium, so you can actually put up a decent house and have some land around it.

• Like 3

image.thumb.png.8b20b45639aeb614c15366955053688c.png

15 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Anyone else feel.like rezzing some old content on the mainland?  

Recently my alt created that lighthouse by manipulating prims from Ryan and Eric Linden telehubs, with a very few added material maps. It's twelve prims land impact including the little base and the funky light over the doorway. Why? Because the prim budget was very tight, it being rezzed entirely on an absent landowner's parcel with build still enabled, so it was accumulating debris. The lighthouse hides a spinning For Sale tower that I couldn't get Governance to remove, which dictated the lighthouse shape and location.

Sure, one day it will all get returned to the alt's Lost+Found, but in the meantime, believe me, it improved the view from all around even though it's got those prim cooties. When it gets returned, our ever so discriminating gamer newbies can watch the For Sale tower spin instead.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Anicha Heartsong said:

I think the reason there is so much abandoned land is that it doesn't meet the needs of the majority of users. It isn't what people want.

People want land without too many neighbors - they want to be next to roads, sea, lakes, public spaces.

They want to be able to sail, or at least have a beach.

They also prefer flattish land. Why is so much SL mainland so amazingly steep as it rises out of the water? Maybe lots of California is built that way, and that influenced the early creators. But it's a b***h to build on.

I think there should be a new continent, a halfway house between trad mainland and Belli. Lots of roads and public space. Lots of islands and water parcels. Rules about ugliness, especially "privacy" screens and low sky clutter. It's not that hard to envisage, and lots of good ideas and discussion in this thread.

Oh, and one final suggestion for the future: make 4096 the default smallest parcel size, the amount of land you get for being premium, so you can actually put up a decent house and have some land around it.

you only get 1024 for being premium.

If you are creative, thats plenty of space for a small house and some landscsping

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anicha Heartsong said:

Currently, to change terrain textures you need to own the entire region. It would be good if this ability were extended to all parcel owners, no matter how small. (The parcel, that is, not the owner :) )

That would be fine if private estates wanted to allow it, but Mainland doesn't need to be even more of an unsightly patchwork.

On the other hand, if might be okay if we ever got the ability of a parcel owner to curate what viewers inside the parcel see of content outside the parcel. If that includes terrain changes, that would be fine, as long as protected land also hid all terrain changes on individual parcels until viewed from inside those parcels.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.