**NEWSFLASH** Linden Lab Prepares for "Significant Milestone"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I think LL has made some thought to that. The very special of their themes is not popular. Everybody admires the Fantasy landscaping, but 56% was unoccupied when Bonniebots was collecting info, and I doubt much has changed. The Chalets was unpopular too, and even the lovely Sakura theme had 49% vacancy.

People ask for special themes, but they will not live there unless it is 100% their special thing. It is safer to go for broad appeal.

...and they should have asked actual japanese people and we are quite a lot in SL before doing something like the Sakura massacre XD every japanese I know ...we were really excited and when we went there finally we had huge laugh fits and were also disappointed...they are nicely decorated those regions and the houses are well made...but not really japanese...they tried tho and I love the moles and their passion so I don't want to trash their work but next time they should really try to understand a culture before trying to model a region after it x3

We were all ready to move there but after seeing it ...not anymore 😭💜

Edited by Gwin LeShelle
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

...and they should have asked actual japanese people and we are quite a lot in SL before doing something like the Sakura massacre XD every japanese I know ...we were really excited and when we went there finally we had huge laugh fits and were also disappointed...they are nicely decorated those regions and the houses are well made...but not really japanese...they tried tho and I love the moles and their passion so I don't want to trash their work but next time they should really try to understand a culture before trying to model a region after it x3

We were all ready to move there but after seeing it ...not anymore 😭💜

I never heard it was so bad. But then again, I am with European/Americans, and it was what we think of as Japanese. Maybe Disney Japanese?

Perhaps it would be better if they released it as some broader theme, like "Influenced by..."? It would be a hint that it was not genuine and did not pretend to be.

I was really surprised that it wasn't filled up, because LL did not make so many of them.

Same with Newbrooke, it was "Container houses" and not modern in general. I knew nothing about Container houses and imagined the Newbrooke's as what I find when I search modern houses.

Anyways, I got used to Newbrooke and it is a fine house for me now. There are things I would change on them, but not so many  as I thought whan I saw them for the first time. I really like big windows.

But I do not think a new Linden Home is a milestone. I would like to see them, but I am hoping it is just a reveal, and that NUX avatars, or even better, LL for mobile phones, is the big thing.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I never heard it was so bad. But then again, I am with European/Americans, and it was what we think of as Japanese. Maybe Disney Japanese?

Perhaps it would be better if they released it as some broader theme, like "Influenced by..."? It would be a hint that it was not genuine and did not pretend to be.

I was really surprised that it wasn't filled up, because LL did not make so many of them.

Same with Newbrooke, it was "Container houses" and not modern in general. I knew nothing about Container houses and imagined the Newbrooke's as what I find when I search modern houses.

Anyways, I got used to Newbrooke and it is a fine house for me now. There are things I would change on them, but not so many  as I thought whan I saw them for the first time. I really like big windows.

But I do not think a new Linden Home is a milestone. I would like to see them, but I am hoping it is just a reveal, and that NUX avatars, or even better, LL for mobile phones, is the big thing.

I honestly don't need a mobile version at all but different people use SL differently ^ ^ Your world your imagination :D I don't need any new themes but I really expect to see the large LHs for us Premium Plus users cause really it is now or reduce the price ;)

I am excited to see the NUX tho :D and I hope that many designers jump on it (although I am afraid they won't) because this would make SL a little easier for the newbies when they are used to meshbodies from the start ^ ^

And for me the only important milestone is 20 years... and they survived although people say Second Life is dead since I joined in 2007 lol ❤️ 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

SL is already well over 20 years old. In fact, SL right now is actually closer to being 21 years old than 20.  

The annual SLB anniversaries only mark the anniversary of the full public access launch day of SL on 23rd June 2003. But this is not actually SL's real "birthday".

"Second Life" as a thing, name and brand actually originated earlier than that on 1st November 2002, not 23rd June 2003.

In November 2002, an earlier prototype precursor Alpha test version of SL called "Linden World" was switched off and was replaced by a newer closed access Beta test version and was officially branded as "Second Life" then too.

How else do you think there are objects, places, residents and Lindens who have avatars that are older than SL itself? 

And that's not even including the even earlier "Linden World" Alpha version of Second Life that go back as far as 2001.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

The Chalet theme is Disney German\Dutch too.

But I blame the lack of popularity mostly because of the relatively big size houses in combination with the amount of LI to decorate all those rooms.
The new house boats have that same problem too IMHO.

People want to decorate very detailed these days. A bed an arm chair, a couch  and maybe a picture on the wall doesn't do the trick anymore. Plus most people who actually live in Belli want a platform in the sky with a private room as well for certain gymnastic activities.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

The Chalet theme is Disney German\Dutch too.

But I blame the lack of popularity mostly because of the relatively big size houses in combination with the amount of LI to decorate all those rooms.
The new house boats have that same problem too IMHO.

People want to decorate very detailed these days. A bed an arm chair, a couch  and maybe a picture on the wall doesn't do the trick anymore. Plus most people who actually live in Belli want a platform in the sky with a private room as well for certain gymnastic activities.

The best thing is when it is a mix of bigger and smaller houses to select. Like they did with Newbrooke. 512 m houses can be selected for 1024 m land.

I really like the new houseboats, and it is 2 big, one medium and one small new boat. The "Dock Holiday" is really cute and not oversized. But if one pick the "Jolly Roger", it is really, really large with many rooms. Some of a challenge to make it look detailed and really well furnished.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2023 at 9:36 AM, Sid Nagy said:

The explanation is simple:
I haven't made any add-ons for those themes (yet).  🤪

Well, you better get cracking then :D I have a chalet now, Sakuras and Fantasy are my top two favourites. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I wonder if this "significant new milestone" relates to the announcement they they're resurrecting the Mentor programme?

It was confirmed by Patch awhile back in this thread, that the milestone is really just the 20th birthday.  Patch was responding to Rowan. I quoted it a couple times.

ETA: Of course, we could have misinterpreted Patch's reply in this thread, or he could be misleading us. Probably not. But maybe. I can has cookie?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I wonder if this "significant new milestone" relates to the announcement they they're resurrecting the Mentor programme?

Well, that's something. It's a reasonable enough idea.

You have to have a Google account to sign up as a mentor, which is rather strange. An SL account should be sufficient.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, animats said:

You have to have a Google account to sign up as a mentor, which is rather strange.

Not strange more along the lines of privacy invading, tracking annoying, data gathering, barrier to entry.

Nope. Nope nope nope nope a thousand times.

Adding a pain-point/barrier/step like that to encourage people to be a mentor? Do you have anyone who knows how to design good UX, guys?

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.