No More Free Lunch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What is the purpose of this thread other than the "frees" to talk about how much money they actually do have?

Could someone be so oblivious not to know LL would make far more money on the people who purchase regions and rent property on those than they do on subscriptions?

I don't buy that someone could be that naïve, not to mention the purpose of this thread is probably for those to say they do spend a lot of money and aren't *free*.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, PermaRuthed said:

I have no money either. We frees are the scrubs & bustas. Of course.

Before I saw your post and only read the preview, I was going to ask - "Do you find yourself hanging out of the side of your best friend's ride?"

..Ok, I asked anyway.  Please don't be tryin' to holler at me!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Before I saw your post and only read the preview, I was going to ask - "Do you find yourself hanging out of the side of your best friend's ride?"

..Ok, I asked anyway.  Please don't be tryin' to holler at me!

Here's my number, so call me maybe?

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

This whole thread is starting to remind me of a compost pile with the Original Post on the bottom.

I try to approach anything that has a pewpy smell to it, with caution..

My first reaction will be, Oh there is some pewp..

Then the rest of the time it will be conversing with others about the pewpy..  hehehe

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

What is the purpose of this thread other than the "frees" to talk about how much money they actually do have?

Could someone be so oblivious not to know LL would make far more money on the people who purchase regions and rent property on those than they do on subscriptions?

I don't buy that someone could be that naïve, not to mention the purpose of this thread is probably for those to say they do spend a lot of money and aren't *free*.  

No

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

That's too obvious.  I'm beginning to wonder what the purpose of these old trolling threads would be useful for plus saying she smoked cannabis seems a little off.   So, perhaps it's a person who is an attention hog.  Well, what if it's more than that?

So, start thread, look up username inworld with another avatar.  Befriend them.  Try to get them to click on something to start keylogging them.

So from now I won't take this bait from these kinds of threads anymore.  I will say, I have no money, none, nada.  

No, it's just not how anything works. I trust nobody either, but really, the original poster is not going to hack my bank account and steal all my money because I said on the forum that I had a premium plus account.

The people who are trying to steal your password aren't out to get you in particular. Just anyone who'll fall for a box saying "please enter your password here". Doesn't actually need anything complicated or subtle, as plenty of people will simply enter their password when asked.

I don't know why you're shooting to the moon with conspiracies here, but you're just going to get yourself stressed over nothing. Maybe the original poster meant it. Maybe it was a troll. But it's ultimately nothing that serious and not something that has a deeper purpose that you must uncover.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Hello fellow forum users ;)  Free account here, because, really I don't need the group spaces, land allowances, slightly (let's be honest) dubious 'special' gifts, rinky dink houses - so cute, but I just don't need one, or stipend - bless!!  LL make a nice little packet out of me, in marketplace sales commissions and cash out fees.  Because even though this has been my actual full time job for (checks notes, blanches, swallows) 15 years, like any business I don't spend money I don't have to.  I rent my inworld store from a lovely landowner who gives me no grief whatsoever, and whom I sincerely hope is also cashing out with pocket jangling regularity.  Despite being very reasonably priced xxx

Soo, no, we don't need a special rich kids of SL enclave.  If you're so loaded you don't know what to do with it all, why not have a hot shower and rip up fivers.  

peace out.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Polenth Yue said:

No, it's just not how anything works. I trust nobody either, but really, the original poster is not going to hack my bank account and steal all my money because I said on the forum that I had a premium plus account.

The people who are trying to steal your password aren't out to get you in particular. Just anyone who'll fall for a box saying "please enter your password here". Doesn't actually need anything complicated or subtle, as plenty of people will simply enter their password when asked.

I don't know why you're shooting to the moon with conspiracies here, but you're just going to get yourself stressed over nothing. Maybe the original poster meant it. Maybe it was a troll. But it's ultimately nothing that serious and not something that has a deeper purpose that you must uncover.

I don't see how someone could be that naive as the OP is nor is there any purpose to this thread other than those so-called "free" accounts to exclaim "I'm not free, I pay yada, yada, yada", and I fell for it.  

I'm remembering now something a friend told me that I am going to try to adhere to:  She told me "always hide your money and your cigarettes".  Good advice, I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, PermaRuthed said:

That's interesting! And they have (or had) a blog! I wonder if they expect payment to read their blog. Or, should we demand payment to review their blog?  It's all so confusing to me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My two cents: The OP (original poster, in case there is any doubt what I mean by "OP") was sincere. 

She just happened to be um.."lit" when posting the Original Post.  Which explains the words, lack of capitalization, and candor in expressing what may (obviously, in retrospect) be an unpopular opinion.

The only "trolling" part - again - "in my opinion" - is when someone makes a post like the OP and is somehow "hurt" by our responses, and makes a pre-disposition about "us".  Another example: If we are not in agreement (a "free thinker"), then we must be on LL's side (a "shill"). 

Other than that, this is a fine thread - it boldly expressed an unpopular opinion, generated some discussion, etc.  

Then she must be "lit" every time she posts. The lack of capitalization was obvious even way back in 2007/8. That hasn't changed since.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Then she must be "lit" every time she posts. The lack of capitalization was obvious even way back in 2007/8. That hasn't changed since.

Ah, I missed that when reviewing previous posts in their profile yesterday.  At least they don't POST IN ALL CAPS AND SHOUT AT US, or pOsT iN cAmEl cAsE aLl pAsSiVe-aGgReSsIvElY!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

That's not how social engineering keylogging works, it works through IM's by sending a link "to a friend".  I'm not talking about someone getting personal information or sending that SL password blue box.  And, I never said someone can hack your bank account because you said you're premium.  I NEVER said that, you did.  I said they can befriend you and then send you a link - meaning in an IM and the person thinks "oh, this is from a friend..." and clicks. 

All one has to do is click on a wrong link.  My bank told me that, and this website I'll copy and paste from says the same.

To people who think it's all password-related, then we'll have to agree to disagree because I don't want to get into a long discussion about it.  Talk to your own bank and see what they say about clicking.  

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/resources/tips-articles/what-is-social-engineering

Taking advantage of your trust and curiosity, these messages will:

Contain a link that you just have to check out–and because the link comes from a friend and you’re curious, you’ll trust the link and click–and be infected with malware so the criminal can take over your machine and collect your contacts info and deceive them just like you were deceived.

Contain a download of pictures, music, movie, document, etc., that has malicious software embedded. If you download–which you are likely to do since you think it is from your friend–you become infected. Now, the criminal has access to your machine, email account, social network accounts and contacts, and the attack spreads to everyone you know. And on, and on.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

10 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

That's not how social engineering keylogging works, it works through IM's by sending a link "to a friend".  I'm not talking about someone getting personal information or sending that SL password blue box.  And, I never said someone can hack your bank account because you said you're premium.  I NEVER said that, you did.  I said they can befriend you and then send you a link - meaning in an IM and the person thinks "oh, this is from a friend..." and clicks. 

All one has to do is click on a wrong link.  My bank told me that, and this website I'll copy and paste from says the same.

To people who think it's all password-related, then we'll have to agree to disagree because I don't want to get into a long discussion about it.  Talk to your own bank and see what they say about clicking.  

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/resources/tips-articles/what-is-social-engineering

Taking advantage of your trust and curiosity, these messages will:

Contain a link that you just have to check out–and because the link comes from a friend and you’re curious, you’ll trust the link and click–and be infected with malware so the criminal can take over your machine and collect your contacts info and deceive them just like you were deceived.

Contain a download of pictures, music, movie, document, etc., that has malicious software embedded. If you download–which you are likely to do since you think it is from your friend–you become infected. Now, the criminal has access to your machine, email account, social network accounts and contacts, and the attack spreads to everyone you know. And on, and on.

I understand the information from your link but, it feels like several things are being conflated here in your description.

There are MANY different types of "Social Engineering".  We get training on it all the time in my job. 

• Like 1

M'kay ...

So the usual from one poster and now another diving deeply into the conspiracy/paranoia hole ...

It is exactly what it appears to be on the surface as anyone who has bothered to pay attention over the years could tell you - no "social engineering" or any such BS happening here. Stop it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I understand the information from your link but, it feels like several things are being conflated here in your description.

There are MANY different types of "Social Engineering".  We get training on it all the time in my job. 

Well, then you should know it's more than just the blue box sent in SL looking for a password.  There is no way I'd fall for that.

The main social engineering scheme is explained in the above.  It comes from a friend thru an IM and that IM contains a link.  Clicking on that link can mean you are hacked and all the contacts get sent the same thing in an IM.  

I know it happened to my ex-husband and I was on his contact list and it got sent to me.  So, I called him on the phone and he said "don't click on that, I was hacked!"  So, I called my bank and they said "don't click on anything" and explained how social engineering works. 

But, as I said, if other's disagree, then we have to agree to disagree because I don't have time to write a bunch of posts about this. 

This OP feels "fishy" to me.  I mean there are tons of free accounts in SL all decked out mesh avatars and clothing, it's obvious not many in SL are actually playing free as in spending no money.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Not to mention the OP didn't even contain any links. Color me completely confused.

But to steer this back on topic - like pretty much everyone else here - no, I don't agree with the separation of free/premium accounts.

But you see, the aim is to first find out who has money, then befriend them on an alt inworld, then post a link for you to open and only THEN will they key log you and steal all your passwords.   Convoluted enough?  😁

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Putting this into its own post/response here as well: This thread is - as is usual for the OP's MO - a half and half thread. Half serious and half trolling - the latter is in the presentation (over the top honestly) but the overall premise is dead serious.

The entire thing is so out of touch and over the top as to be beyond ridiculous. As is this notion of reporting anyone who dares to be honest. It is here partly for the Drama as one can easily figure out just by the fact that it was announced that the OP is sending in Reports as opposed to simply Reporting and moving on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.