So I asked the new Chatgpt-4 how Second Life can get more users...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I attempted a "plagiarism check" with an add-on in Google Docs, and it only found this page

Perhaps I mean plagiarized in an informal way.  

However, I feel with near assurity, I've seen posts on SL forums that were written almost exactly like what ChatGPT produced in the OP. 

If ChatGPT looks for real plagiarism, perhaps it would need to be word for word?  I simply don't know.   I really know nothing about ChatGPT.  

It does look like something along the lines of being created for the instant gratification societies that have become our modern world in the past few generations.  ChatGPT just seems to compactify other data.  

24 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Honestly, everything this particular ChatGPT "wrote" as shown in the OP is plagiarism.  It's all been said here in the forums, and the ChatGPT just assembled it somehow.   I cannot understand the usefulness of having an AI system that simply plagiarizes what already exists.

Although it's been said ChatGPT will be the next big thing, I just don't get it.  It's redundant.  

Well it beats searching the forum and posts for a summation of what has been said before, so at the very least it is a win in that regard. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well it beats searching the forum and posts for a summation of what has been said before, so at the very least it is a win in that regard. 

Yes, it saves time but it's just a continuation of the instant gratification generations.  I was expecting more from it> What, exactly, I'm not sure yet.  lol  

9 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Yes, it saves time but it's just a continuation of the instant gratification generations.  I was expecting more from it> What, exactly, I'm not sure yet.  lol  

Well not sure what the instant gratification generation has to do with it but looking at the pro and con posts on the OP's ChatGpt summation, it strikes me that the opinions on whether it is good or bad is highly dependent on whether one agrees or disagrees with its recommendations.

At the very least the AI gave a summary of ideas that have been discussed before in the forums and makes it available to someone who is outside of SL to have a rudimentary understanding. This SL outsider would probably have no idea what source the AI was using or that these forums even exist. However, it didn't mention my suggestions for making SL better so the AI isn't that great.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well not sure what the instant gratification generation has to do with it but looking at the pro and con posts on the OP's ChatGpt summation, it strikes me that the opinions on whether it is good or bad is highly dependent on whether one agrees or disagrees with its recommendations.

Perhaps instant gratification isn't the term I was looking for but I cannot think of the term I am looking for.  I guess I mean it's instant, like ask ChatGPT a question, it gives an answer, instead of delayed gratification, such as doing research for an in-depth answer.  Since ChatGPT is being hyped as the next "big thing", I'd assume eventually it's answers would be considered overall good by the next generation, especially if they don't compare it's answers to anything else.  

I think SL forum users/readers could be biased though as we've read the same responses as in the OP many times.  If someone were to read it with no idea of what SL needs to "get more users", the answers ChatGPT gave probably seem logical enough to be considered good by someone who has never read anything at all before.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

At the very least the AI gave a summary of ideas that have been discussed before in the forums and makes it available to someone who is outside of SL to have a rudimentary understanding.

I just read a bit about what ChatGPT is because I haven't had time to read what it's about.  From my understanding of what I've read, ChatGPT's purpose is to give starting points.  But, those starting points are to be researched if one is writing a paper.  So, yes it does give a summary of ideas as starting points regarding whatever the question may be.  In that regard, it sounds interesting.  What I read said it could also help write music or poems.  That sounds interesting to me.  

Write an article describing Second Life as if written by Winston Churchill...

My dear friends, I must say that the world is full of marvels and wonders. One of the greatest wonders of our time is the virtual world known as Second Life. It is a place where people can come together, explore, and create in a world that is entirely their own.

As I look upon Second Life, I see a world of limitless potential. It is a world where the only boundaries are those which we impose upon ourselves. In this world, we can be whoever we want to be, do whatever we want to do, and go wherever we want to go.

It is a world of imagination, where the impossible becomes possible. A world where one can fly through the air, swim with the fishes, and walk on the moon. It is a world where the only limit is our own creativity.

But Second Life is more than just a playground for the imagination. It is a place where people can come together and form communities. They can create businesses, hold events, and even attend university classes. It is a world where the boundaries between the physical and the virtual begin to blur.

In this virtual world, people are able to connect with others from all over the globe. They can form friendships and relationships that span continents and time zones. It is a place where the barriers of distance and language are overcome by the power of technology.

Some may say that Second Life is nothing more than a game or a distraction from the real world. But I say that it is a world in its own right. A world where people can come together, share experiences, and learn from each other. It is a world where we can explore new ideas, challenge our assumptions, and expand our horizons.

And so, my dear friends, I encourage you to explore Second Life. To embrace the limitless potential of this virtual world and all that it has to offer. For in Second Life, we can find a second chance, a second home, and a second life.

• Like 3

Write an ad for a clothing store in Second Life...

Welcome to Second Life's premier clothing store - Fashionista! Here, you will find the latest and greatest in virtual fashion, all designed to help you look and feel your very best.

We offer a wide range of clothing options, from trendy casual wear to elegant formal attire. Our collections are constantly updated with the latest styles and trends, ensuring that you will always look your best no matter what the occasion.

Whether you're looking for a chic new outfit for a night out with friends or a stunning gown for a formal event, we've got you covered. Our skilled designers are passionate about creating unique and stylish clothing options that are sure to turn heads and make you stand out from the crowd.

But that's not all - we also offer a wide range of accessories to complete your look, from shoes and jewelry to handbags and hats. Our accessories are carefully curated to complement our clothing collections, ensuring that you can easily put together a complete and stylish outfit in one convenient location.

At Fashionista, we pride ourselves on offering exceptional customer service and a hassle-free shopping experience. Our store is easy to navigate and our friendly staff are always available to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

So why wait? Head on over to Fashionista today and discover the latest and greatest in virtual fashion. Whether you're a seasoned Second Life veteran or a new player just starting out, we've got something for everyone. Shop now and elevate your virtual style to the next level!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

My dear friends, I must say that the world is full of marvels and wonders. One of the greatest wonders of our time is the virtual world known as Second Life. It is a place where people can come together, explore, and create in a world that is entirely their own.

As I look upon Second Life, I see a world of limitless potential. It is a world where the only boundaries are those which we impose upon ourselves. In this world, we can be whoever we want to be, do whatever we want to do, and go wherever we want to go.

It is a world of imagination, where the impossible becomes possible. A world where one can fly through the air, swim with the fishes, and walk on the moon. It is a world where the only limit is our own creativity.

But Second Life is more than just a playground for the imagination. It is a place where people can come together and form communities. They can create businesses, hold events, and even attend university classes. It is a world where the boundaries between the physical and the virtual begin to blur.

In this virtual world, people are able to connect with others from all over the globe. They can form friendships and relationships that span continents and time zones. It is a place where the barriers of distance and language are overcome by the power of technology.

Some may say that Second Life is nothing more than a game or a distraction from the real world. But I say that it is a world in its own right. A world where people can come together, share experiences, and learn from each other. It is a world where we can explore new ideas, challenge our assumptions, and expand our horizons.

And so, my dear friends, I encourage you to explore Second Life. To embrace the limitless potential of this virtual world and all that it has to offer. For in Second Life, we can find a second chance, a second home, and a second life.

Donald Trump's opinion 👱‍♂️

Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you about Second Life. It’s an amazing platform, one of the greatest virtual worlds ever created. Nobody knows Second Life like I do. Trust me, I have the best knowledge about it.

In Second Life, you can be anyone you want to be, do anything you want to do, and go anywhere you want to go. It’s all about freedom, and nobody loves freedom more than me. You can even have your own virtual business, just like the real world. And let me tell you, I’m a successful businessman, so I know a thing or two about that.

But here’s the thing: Second Life has been around for a while now, and it’s time for some updates. It needs to be modernized, made more efficient, more user-friendly. And nobody knows more about modernization and efficiency than me. I’m a great builder, believe me.

So, in conclusion, Second Life is a tremendous platform, and it has so much potential. But it needs the right leadership, someone who knows how to make things great again. And that’s where I come in. If you want to see Second Life reach its full potential, you need me at the helm. Trust me, I’ll make it the best virtual world you’ve ever seen.

:o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Write a Ramones song about Second Life nekos 😻

I'm logging on to Second Life tonight
Gonna find me some nekos that are outta sight
With ears and tails, and a feline grace
They'll lead me to a virtual happy place

Chorus:
Nekos, nekos, everywhere I see
In Second Life, they're all that I need
With their playful charm, and curious ways
Nekos rule the land, and they'll never stray

Verse 2:
They're roaming free, in a digital world
Prowling around, with their tails unfurled
They're warriors, protecting their own
And creators, building a virtual home

Chorus:

Bridge:
They'll purr and cuddle, when the day is done
And in their presence, we'll have some fun
They're more than pixels, they're our friends
In Second Life, until the very end

Chorus:

Outro:
Nekos, nekos, they're the best
In Second Life, they pass the test.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rat Luv said:

Write a Ramones song about Second Life nekos 😻

I'm logging on to Second Life tonight
Gonna find me some nekos that are outta sight
With ears and tails, and a feline grace
They'll lead me to a virtual happy place

Chorus:

Verse 2:
They're roaming free, in a digital world
Prowling around, with their tails unfurled
They're warriors, protecting their own
And creators, building a virtual home

Chorus:

Bridge:
They'll purr and cuddle, when the day is done
And in their presence, we'll have some fun
They're more than pixels, they're our friends
In Second Life, until the very end

Chorus:

Outro:
Nekos, nekos, they're the best
In Second Life, they pass the test.

This is purrfect!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

This makes SL sound so friggin' amazing, I can't understand why it doesn't generate more users other than so many have gone to the phone, and now at this time, inflation has been so terrible.  Plus, much of the above is true!

So, I'm gathering, as I read about this ChatGPT thing is it is a writer's tool where one can take the best parts of what ChatGPT presents and rewrite it in their own style whether it's a blog, a screenplay, a song, a poem.   That's incredible.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

So, I'm gathering, as I read about this ChatGPT thing is it is a writer's tool where one can take the best parts of what ChatGPT presents and rewrite it in their own style whether it's a blog, a screenplay, a song, a poem.   That's incredible.

It's still learning...I tried asking it to write me an article in Shakespeare's style, and it does put in "thou" and "doth" a lot, but isn't quite there yet in my opinion...

But you can also ask questions...there was a recent post on the forums asking about Asian restaurants in SL, so I asked ChatGPT and got

Kim's Korean Restaurant - This is a Korean restaurant in Second Life that serves traditional Korean dishes.

Izakaya Yokocho - This is a Japanese-style pub in Second Life that serves various Japanese dishes and drinks.

Shanghai Nights - This is a Chinese restaurant in Second Life that specializes in Shanghainese cuisine.

Vietnamese Kitchen - This is a Vietnamese restaurant in Second Life that serves authentic Vietnamese dishes.

Zen Garden - This is a Japanese restaurant in Second Life that offers a wide range of Japanese dishes, including sushi and bento boxes.

Please note that these are just a few more examples, and there may be many other Asian restaurants in Second Life that are worth exploring.

(though some of these might be old/gone, so always worth asking human users too 🙂)

• Like 2

I asked ChatGPT to channel James Joyce:

The sun rose over the grid of Second Life, casting a soft glow upon the virtual world that sprawled before Leopold Bloom's avatar. He shuffled his digital feet along the pixelated ground, marveling at the vast expanse of possibilities that lay before him.

As he navigated the labyrinthine streets and avenues of this virtual realm, he encountered a panoply of avatars, each one more bizarre and fantastical than the last. He saw towering giants, fairies with wings that glittered like diamonds, and creatures that defied categorization or description.

The cacophony of sound that surrounded him was equally dizzying. He heard the chatter of avatars as they communicated in a myriad of languages, the hum of virtual vehicles as they zoomed by, and the rhythmic beat of music that pulsated through the air.

Bloom's journey through Second Life was a veritable odyssey, as he encountered countless obstacles and challenges along the way. He battled against digital monsters, solved fiendish puzzles, and engaged in heated debates with other avatars on topics ranging from philosophy to politics.

Yet for all its strangeness and complexity, Second Life also held moments of beauty and transcendence. Bloom was moved by the art and architecture that he encountered, marveling at the intricate designs and creative genius of his fellow avatars.

As he emerged from this virtual realm and returned to the physical world, Bloom could not help but feel a sense of awe and wonder at the infinite possibilities that lay within the digital realm. For in Second Life, he had experienced a world beyond the confines of the mundane, a world where the human imagination could soar free and unfettered.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

There is a house near old Ahern,
They call it AFK Fun,
And it's been the ruin of many a poor av,
And the Bonnies, they know I'm one.

[...]

So users, tell your avis
Not to do what I have done
And spend your stipend on that Kupra doll,
At the place they call AFK Fun.

(No, I didn't use ChatGPT. So sue me.)

• Like 6

Deep beneath the virtual ground,
In Second Life, a mole is found,
With shovel and pick in hand,
Building new homes in the land.

Through soil and dirt, the mole does burrow,
Creating a maze, a home for tomorrow,
The tunnels winding and weaving,
A sanctuary for creatures, unassuming.

The mole works tirelessly each day,
Crafting new spaces where avatars can play,
And as the sun sets on the horizon,
New homes stand proud, a monument risen.

The mole, with its tiny frame,
Has built a world that's not the same,
A place of magic and wonder,
A virtual haven to ponder.

Oh, noble mole of Second Life,
Your work is noble and full of life,
Creating homes for all to see,
In a world where anything can be.

-ChatGPT writing a poem for the moles making us our homes.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

They call it AFK Fun,

[...]

So users, tell your avis

A use for Banned Bonnies, huzzah!

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think "bad writing" for ChatGPT can be blamed on bad teachers. Like "classical" methods, it is "learning by rote" and being fed garbage. 

I thought some of the writing was good.  There were some parts that were a little too flowery or just didn't quite fit, but I think it's doing that on purpose because I think ChatGPT's purpose is to give one inspiration and then the person takes the best parts and adds that into one's own written piece.  I don't believe it's purpose is to copy it verbatim.  I think copying stuff verbatim would take the fun out of it.  It would become totally mindless.

Edited by EliseAnne85

5 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I think ChatGPT's purpose is to give one inspiration

The AI's role is synthesis. It's a powerful part of "thinking", but it falls short of creating new ideas or having a purpose. The AI is drawing on a very large database, connecting bits and pieces of information that seem related to the trigger phrase you give it, and then dumping a result out for you to appreciate. It's very impressive that it can find all those bits of information and weave them together in a consistent way, but it doesn't involve any analysis.  That's left to us. If we are inspired by an AI's products (or by a sunset or a flock of eagles, for that matter), it's not because they are serving a purpose, but because we are smart enough to think of one.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

They call it AFK Fun,

[...]

So users, tell your avis

But, used "House of the Rising Sun" as inspiration?  Amirite?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

But, used "House of the Rising Sun" as inspiration?  Amirite?  

Yes, but on a hunch I had to lookup "The Animals". They are British! Go figure..

All the best early Rock bands came from Britain.

BONUS: They were from "Newcastle upon Tyne"..(i.e., OnTyne!). What the heck would they know about a hoorhouse in New Orleans, Louisiana USA?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

and then dumping a result out for you to appreciate. 

I was thinking it was dumping a result out for you or me not necessarily to appreciate but to build from.  

Sorry, I can't seem to express myself well.  I'm having difficulty putting words to this newfangled contraption. 

But, I have written in my lifetime and I could see myself getting inspiration from ChatGPT but turning it into something else that's more "me", my heart, my soul.

I think it could also give inspiration on a writing style.  

I also suggested it could be a writer's tool, meaning one isn't supposed to copy verbatim nor use ChatGPT as an end point but rather a starting point.

Edited by EliseAnne85

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.