10 best subscription MMO's includes SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Paul. Paul. You know that's gonna be a tiny list. The collection of current sub-based MMOs is pretty slim these days. They had to flesh it out somehow.

They have Tibia and Ultima Online on there for crying out loud. 😂

That's also an article from 2 years ago. Not that that matters as nothing much has changed on the MMO front. I'm just giving you a hard time cuz I can. 😄

Edit: OH, of all time. Well, that still doesn't change much. Still not a very large list, lol.

Edit Edit: Also looks like they missed Anarchy Online and Dark Age of Camelot. Pretty sure those had subs at some point or another. Or a hybrid model, or somethin'. 

Edit Edit Edit: EQ2 and ESO would like a word (hybrid/optional subs, but still - plenty pay for em).

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs

One might almost think that list was made to bait people into angry comments as a form of engagement. I can't help but be impressed with that list, it's finely tuned to piss off as many capital G gamers as possible. It takes aim at...

• WoW Copium Inhalers right during the... Milk and Harassment moment.
  • FF14 Bunnybois during the launch of Endwalker.
  • Genre purists by putting SL on there.
  • Taking a swipe at F2P games by claiming P2P is usually better. Hello Genshin, Warframe - but not Destiny, I doubt they notice (They tuned out of games media years ago).
  • By leaving out Elder Scrolls Online, Lord of the Rings Online and Neverwinter Nights (if SL can be on there, these can too!)
  • And then crowning it with Tibia on #1.

It's a work of art.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Best, worst, I'm just tickled that SL is on a list of "subscription based MMO games" at all.

To be fair, the article kind of sounds like it was written by someone who's never stepped foot into an MMO in his entire life. 😂 I'm not really too surprised it made the list while DAOC, Anarchy Online, or ESO didn't.

Oh and good point - LOTR, too!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

One might almost think that list was made to bait people into angry comments as a form of engagement. I can't help but be impressed with that list, it's finely tuned to piss off as many capital G gamers as possible. It takes aim at...

• WoW Copium Inhalers right during the... Milk and Harassment moment.
  • FF14 Bunnybois during the launch of Endwalker.
  • Genre purists by putting SL on there.
  • Taking a swipe at F2P games by claiming P2P is usually better. Hello Genshin, Warframe - but not Destiny, I doubt they notice (They tuned out of games media years ago).
  • By leaving out Elder Scrolls Online, Lord of the Rings Online and Neverwinter Nights (if SL can be on there, these can too!)
  • And then crowning it with Tibia on #1.

It's a work of art.

Is troll article!

Years ago, I did a "Google News" search for Second LIfe.  At the time, I think Google asked if I wanted it added to my "feed".

Fast forward, now my Google default screen on my phone shows news article, and once in awhile Second Life articles popup - or articles about other MMO's.  (I never searched other MMO's so this must be Google being "smart".)

Most often, the Second Life articles that show up on my feed are "old".

For other MMO's, I see random things usually.  But I saw an article popup recently that said basically. "OMG, Ultima Online is still around?!?"  Seeing it on your article's list reminded me of that.

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

Best, worst, I'm just tickled that SL is on a list of "subscription based MMO games" at all.

I know because SL is free to play if you are a default avatar that never goes anywhere.  lol  Oh, wait...there is free stuffs, so never mind what I just said.  You can find free stuff.  

Here's a snippet from the article:

After all, everyone is equal in those kinds of games because everyone pays. As such, subscription-based MMORPGs tend to be more polished than the rest. The catch is that players have to pay every month or so. When it comes to spending money on games, it's only wise to consider forking them out for the best of the best; in the MMORPG category, these are the heavyweights.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I know because SL is free to play if you are a default avatar that never goes anywhere.  lol  Oh, wait...there is free stuffs, so never mind what I just said.  You can find free stuff.  

Here's a snippet from the article:

After all, everyone is equal in those kinds of games because everyone pays. As such, subscription-based MMORPGs tend to be more polished than the rest. The catch is that players have to pay every month or so. When it comes to spending money on games, it's only wise to consider forking them out for the best of the best; in the MMORPG category, these are the heavyweights.

That's one reason why I said the article writer sounds as if he never stepped into an MMO before.

Many of the games on that list are now free and don't have mandatory subs. The MMO market is mostly full of hybrid pay schemes these days. F2P with optional subs for perks.

Random examples from his list -

WoW is free from levels 1-20.

FFXIV has an endless free trial that takes you up to level 60.

Tibia is F2P now.

Everquest is free.

Runescape is free.

Most games do have some sort of restriction or something to make paying for a sub attractive (extra bag space, the ability to use the trading post/auction house, chat channel restrictions, etc.). But yeah, 100% subs required are kind of dead these days. 

SL is pretty much in that same boat. F2P with optional subs - maybe that's what he was getting at but...still...

• Like 3

I thought Second life itself, was a sandbox that you can make stuff in.. If nobody ever made anything it would be kind of blank around here and about everywhere  you went..

The description they give  seems pretty much outside perspective of the surface of what it really is.. Kind of a lazy perspective really.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I thought Second life itself, was a sandbox that you can make stuff in.. If nobody ever made anything it would be kind of blank around here and about everywhere  you went..

The description they give  seems pretty much outside perspective of the surface of what it really is.. Kind of a lazy perspective really.

People get paid for writing articles, not for writing GOOD articles!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

He's got at least one sandbox MMO on that list (EVE Online). Wait...he's got a few. Runescape I suppose. Ultima Online, too.

They aren't anywhere near as sandboxy as SL, but they do have pretty deep customization, crafting, and building options, so I guess he felt justified in tossing that all together.

But then, he missed some of the bigger sandbox MMOs, too, like WURM, which was pretty much the launchpad for Minecraft (same creator).

The entire article is just lazy and not well-researched whatsoever. 😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

This is another snippet and I don't like drama.  Shakes head, no drama.  Most of us hate drama in SL inworld.  Drama is a dirty word for SL and even banned in some places - literally.  I don't know here what the writer means by "drama"?

One can even consider Second Life as an elaborate form of social media where players can show the best versions of themselves in a digital space. The core gameplay here is about social interactions instead of grinding for armor or questing. Hence, players tell their own stories here with others via drama.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

He's got at least one sandbox MMO on that list (EVE Online). Wait...he's got a few. Runescape I suppose. Ultima Online, too.

They aren't anywhere near as sandboxy as SL, but they do have pretty deep customization, crafting, and building options, so I guess he felt justified in tossing that all together.

But then, he missed some of the bigger sandbox MMOs, too, like WURM, which was pretty much the launchpad for Minecraft (same creator).

The entire article is just lazy and not well-researched whatsoever. 😂

I think that article has made it's way through here before..It looks familiar..

I really don't pay them much mind.. Outsiders really never know that much about it anyways..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

All kidding aside, read the article, it's awful. 

It is awful!  I've been in SL on and off spanning across three decades (which I can't hardly believe) and I can assuredly tell you and others no one has ever tried to "tell me their story via drama" nor have I ever tried to tell anyone my story via drama on SL.  It's the worst article about SL I've ever encountered.  I don't even know how I'd begin to tell someone my story via drama on SL.  smh

Edited by EliseAnne85
ADDED SPANNING ACROSS

9 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Ultima Online cannot be killed !!

It's the curse of Richard Garriott. Once in high school, he visited our computer class to show his newest Ultima game at the time (on Apple ][..). He was in the area because his dad was an astronaut and we were close to NASA. Thus endeth the history lesson. Now, get off my lawn!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.