Marketplace issues (Feb 14 around 2pm SL time)

Andred Darwin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

52 minutes ago, Arwen Serpente said:

I saw that too. They tell us to open JIRAs to report issues and then they are closed almost immediately (as "duplicate"). I count over 20 JIRAs opened since this began last week. Virtually all are closed. Feels like a door slamming in the face.

Opening tickets is good. If it's related to another ticket (similar issue, more information), it will be linked to that ticket and closed.

This is a completely normal way of keeping things organized, since all the info can be viewed from those "central" tickets by anyone who's trying to keep up. It's not useful to have 20 open tickets about the same thing, because then everyone would have to search for them individually, and conversation is split.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes. Wulfie, I know that it is standard to close duplicate JIRAs to maintain order. Part of the point is not just the speed at which they are closed, but that more than 20 residents have felt the need to even file JIRAs on this issue in under a week. That's a tremendous amount of frustration that is being voiced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arwen Serpente said:

Yes. Wulfie, I know that it is standard to close duplicate JIRAs to maintain order. Part of the point is not just the speed at which they are closed, but that more than 20 residents have felt the need to even file JIRAs on this issue in under a week.

The JIRAs are closed as duplicates but as I complained ignorantly elsewhere, the original of which they are duplicates (...um is that English?) is not noted.

Apparently it is an internal JIRA now and if you know where to look you can see it.  I was told:

"Spidey marked it as duplicate of WENG-9476, which is probably an internal ticket number."

This seems to be Linden Lab saying "Look, we are working on this, we know it's bad, but just shut up and let us get on with it"

The regard in which we hold Linden Lab is beginning to erode, I suspect.

Edited by Aishagain
further info
  • Like 1

What a fine mess LL has created

I can understand they want to improve the search engine but one has to look at how they are trying to achieve this.

In alot of industries when major changes are implemented you run for testing, parallel systems most companies run though virtualization so just use a copy of existing system duplicate it add your code changes and see if the flag flies.

Another way most test there major changes is to first backup the existing code install the new run it and if it does not work and can’t be debugged in a reasonable time (hours not weeks) roll back to the existing code at least you knew it ran and then go back and fix your issues.

Asking users to add into their search string Boolean expressions (operators) AND OR NOT why not have them use  && || !  we all love abit of “C” in our searches keeps the brain active. Can’t you just add the Boolean expression into your query if it detects a space ascii(32) insert an AND not hard.

So a search expression of store dresses would be in query WHERE Store AND dress .

What next we be using a GOTO keyword now that will upset the “C” fanboy’s, they be fuming.

I was thinking of using a while(1){help= _Searching(We’re NOT Happy;}  in my search that way I can sit back for all eternity and see nothing appear.

Did anyone create a flow chart or write some pseudo code before attempting these changes.

Writing Queries what thought went into using “” around words who does that or using * this is 2023 NOT 1983.

Seriously the analogy of we are trying to make your searching experience better just does not cut it claiming and yes they may be correct that some sellers use names not even associated with what they are selling is a valid argument but you don’t sink the ship to remove the stow away, address the problem with those that you know to be causing it, not innocent people just wanting to run a small business or just want to buy something.

Bottom line is to those wanting to change things because they can, think like someone using it the way most people use the search system. Ask questions get feedback from end users, think of the sellers trying to just make an honest living, put yourself in their shoes don’t try to be smart about it to impress no one in the end. When rewriting code think of the good points of how the existing system worked don’t just replace with something that makes zero sense to the people who use it on a daily basis don’t destroy for in the end no one wins.

In conclusion I love the Thank you for your bug report we currently don’t have an ETA for this fix. Then put back what did work and fix the bugs you wrote into it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

And they just posted about how well the MP search feature is working, yet i cant get it to keep the "Age: Newest First" setting to stay. I hit next page and it goes back to "Relevance."

Complete Madness, Im just so baffled atm by LL, Happy shopping and selling they say :/  Aint no sellin going on here thats for sure, ive gone from 250 transaction average a day to 5 * If * Lucky, so no one shopping, 

• Like 3

I've just read LL's most recent entry in Tools (sic) & Technology.

It is almost unbelievable how smug and disconnected this current batch of Linden Lab technicians/programmers are.  Almost...I have been active in SL for 15 years now and I have reached marginally higher levels of incredulity in years long past.

That marketplace search works AT ALL is surprising. It clearly does NOT function well for the creators and if you need to search with any degree of thoroughness, you need a degree in algebraic functions.

This has made MP search almost unusable for most recreational users.

LL should be ashamed of their work.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

I've just read LL'Ss most recent entry in Tools (sic) & Technology.

It is almost unbelievable how smug and disconnected this current batch of Linden Lab. technicians/programmers are.  Almost...I have been active in SL for 15 years now and I have reached marginally higher levels of incredulity in years long past.

That marketplace search works AT ALL is surprising. It clearly does NOT function well for the creators and if you need to search with any degree of thoroughness, you need a degree in algebraic functions.

This has made MP search almost unusablefor most recreational users.

LL should be ashamed of their work.

That Part ! yah

People will see this relevance list first when they go to the marketplace, so the order they appear here is very important.
Why are very old items showing up first in the relevance list...
Old or out-of-season items are displayed at the top and people cannot easily find new items.
This relevance list issue should be fixed first. Please fix this relevance list issue immediately.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, platearmor said:

People will see this relevance list first when they go to the marketplace, so the order they appear here is very important.
Why are very old items showing up first in the relevance list...
Old or out-of-season items are displayed at the top and people cannot easily find new items.
This relevance list issue should be fixed first. Please fix this relevance list issue immediately.

agreed, Open a Jira , Very important, More the better https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa?null

Edited by Lunachelsea
  • Like 1

Yes, it is incomprehensible why LL takes so much time and does not even give out information about what is being done now.

As a creator i thought i'm on the right track and nothing can happen *lol* then LL takes a big hammer and smashes MP *lol* most creators are very dependent on MP, my losses are at 90% right now . if something doesn't change soon, i'll probably look for a smaller piece of land for my shop. I am anxious about the future for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LL write this on the new announcement:

A search string such as “blue shirt” will return results that contain both the term “blue” and “shirt” instead of including results that contain “blue” or “shirt.” This behavior is changed if you use advanced features such as quotes, boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT), or asterisks. Make sure to check the tooltip next to the search field for help with boolean operators.

question....this means ....exapmle : if put on search VCO ~ Jihyo 002 . Resizer [ Mint ] will return exactly this like before or still that must to be used quotes and operator that is the worst idea of all times?

• Like 1

Just now, SerArthur56 said:

LL write this on the new announcement:

A search string such as “blue shirt” will return results that contain both the term “blue” and “shirt” instead of including results that contain “blue” or “shirt.” This behavior is changed if you use advanced features such as quotes, boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT), or asterisks. Make sure to check the tooltip next to the search field for help with boolean operators.

question....this means ....exapmle : if put on search VCO ~ Jihyo 002 . Resizer [ Mint ] will return exactly this like before or still that must to be used quotes and operator that is the worst idea of all times?

Why should we have to use all that rubbish? All I want is a 'blue shirt'! ...and most people will too, they don't want to be messing about with AND, NOT and OR! Worked fine before. At least I'm not getting sex toys for all of my search results as I was a couple of weeks back, so they've at least sorted that out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Yoofaloof Pacer said:

Why should we have to use all that rubbish? All I want is a 'blue shirt'! ...and most people will too, they don't want to be messing about with AND, NOT and OR! Worked fine before. At least I'm not getting sex toys for all of my search results as I was a couple of weeks back, so they've at least sorted that out.

you have right, thats why i dind t get it what they means...as i asked before with this new improvement that LL announced yesterday if i text  VCO ~ Jihyo 002 . Resizer [ Mint ] on search what will come out? i hope will come out first what i typed, or still this very very old quotes and boolean method for make come out what i m looking for? apart that they  said: In the coming days we will be changing the following (that is the same of: one day we will try to fix)..... for now still broken from 7 days

Edited by SerArthur56

1 hour ago, SerArthur56 said:

you have right, thats why i dind t get it what they means...as i asked before with this new improvement that LL announced yesterday if i text  VCO ~ Jihyo 002 . Resizer [ Mint ] on search what will come out? i hope will come out first what i typed, or still this very very old quotes and boolean method for make come out what i m looking for? apart that they  said: In the coming days we will be changing the following (that is the same of: one day we will try to fix)..... for now still broken from 7 days

First picture is VCO ~ Jihyo 002 . Resizer [ Mint ].  The second picture, I just typed in VCO Jihyo...no quotations.

Screenshot_20230309-084316.thumb.png.420bcfce6f053d40754b44fb1058e053.png

Screenshot_20230309-084456.thumb.png.bcbc66448e6b1f3812c047c93f717fd7.png

• Like 1

The blog entry does a great job of explanifying things.

These changes are not deployed yet.

Quote re: searching..

• For example:
    image2.png

image1.png

The above search term will now return results in the center of the diagram.

We hope these changes will improve everyone’s Marketplace experience while also enjoying the advantages of ElasticSearch. We continue to monitor how search performs for everyone. If you find that after these changes, Marketplace search still isn’t working the way you’d expect, please let us know! We value everyone’s thoughts and we thank you for your patience as we continue to make search better. 

Happy shopping and selling!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.