Marketplace issues (Feb 14 around 2pm SL time)

Andred Darwin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Dita Demonista said:

I just want to buy a dress... 😄

Hehehe, I love that! 

For that purpose, the new search release doesn't do too bad...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[layout]=gallery&search[category_id]=&search[sort]=sales_rank_asc&search[per_page]=96&search[keywords]=women+dress&search[price_low]=&search[price_high]=&search[land_impact_low]=&search[land_impact_high]=&search[copy_permission]=0&search[modify_permission]=0&search[transfer_permission]=0&search[limited_quantities]=0&search[is_demo]=0

But like everyone else, you will need a handbook to learn to use SL search to filter older stuff and get better matches ...

Edited by Andred Darwin

1 hour ago, Andred Darwin said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0NDqWT3zZs

The interesting thing is that they really believe it's fixed, seems like a total disconnect or maybe they are using a website we don't have access to... or the unthinkable, they really don't have a clue

There seem to be a couple overlapping things going on.

First they made changes, which broke things. Then they fixed things. Then they made a blog post about the fixes. Then they made more changes which broke things again. So now it looks like their fix didn't actually do much, which is false.

That meeting was held during a time when search was fixed. Nobody mentioned any issues on that day, or the day after that.

Speaking generally about web development... and development in general... they have at least one "copy" of the Marketplace where new changes are tested before they're sent to the real Marketplace. Why they don't catch these problems, I don't know, maybe the people testing things don't have enough specifications for what kind of results should be expected.

2 hours ago, Dita Demonista said:

Anyone knows what " Fuzzy matching" means? 🥺

I have no idea what your saying

I just want to buy a dress... 😄

Fuzzy searching means that even if you search for "dess" or "derss", you'll still find dresses. It may also include related words like "gowns" as well (even if they aren't tagged as dresses).

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Speaking generally about web development... and development in general... they have at least one "copy" of the Marketplace where new changes are tested before they're sent to the real Marketplace. Why they don't catch these problems, I don't know, maybe the people testing things don't have enough specifications for what kind of results should be expected.

I just watched/listened to the youtube video of the Web meeting. It was pretty clear that your comment "maybe the people testing things don't have enough specifications for what kind of results should be expected" is spot on. In fact, I'd go further to say that the coding is being done without understanding what merchants and shoppers really need or how they go about using the MP. The meeting was more of an ad hoc focus group with a handful of residents trying to respond to developer inquiries. If LL wants to make good improvements which we would all embrace, then they need good and complete info - not from a small discussion group or even monthly discussion groups.  A true marketing survey that teases out how and why the MP is used with responses from many residents and merchants would go a long way in informing how changes are coded and implemented. It just feels very loosey goosey right now and the result is not helping anyone.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arwen Serpente said:

I just watched/listened to the youtube video of the Web meeting. It was pretty clear that your comment "maybe the people testing things don't have enough specifications for what kind of results should be expected" is spot on. In fact, I'd go further to say that the coding is being done without understanding what merchants and shoppers really need or how they go about using the MP. The meeting was more of an ad hoc focus group with a handful of residents trying to respond to developer inquiries. If LL wants to make good improvements which we would all embrace, then they need good and complete info - not from a small discussion group or even monthly discussion groups.  A true marketing survey that teases out how and why the MP is used with responses from many residents and merchants would go a long way in informing how changes are coded and implemented. It just feels very loosey goosey right now and the result is not helping anyone.

We're both making a lot of assumptions about how things are done. You could attend one of those meetings and ask them directly. The meetings are held on a fixed schedule and they're open to everyone, the subjects they talk about will be whatever is relevant at the time or what residents bring up.

• Like 1

You're right Wulfie, I am making assumptions. After listening to the discussion group, I'd say that goes both ways (LL making assumptions as well). I've been a merchant since 2008 and lived through the multitude of MP changes, migrations, etc and have yet to see or participate in any formal "marketing survey" that would quantitatively provide direction. It appears that change is driven by qualitative input from a limited pool of stakeholders. For the most part, the changes that are implemented are pretty global and obvious - like improving search. There have been some great additions like expanding categories, separating demos and limited quantities, creating favorites lists, etc. Perhaps attending a meeting would be helpful, I'm just not sure. I'm very disappointed with the most recent events which I know are well intended but are resulting in "unintended" collateral damage.

9 minutes ago, SerArthur56 said:

for LL if you try to search dress or "dress" or maitreya dress or for gacha items like Tableau Vivant \\HATtention - Brat - RARE even with quotes and you set low to high, from page 1 to page 50....appear just demo's of everything....this is probably the best marketplace experience on the entire internet

If you search for that product with quotes, you only get that product as a result. (Even if you just search for "hattention brat" with quotes)

If you make a general search and sort by "Price: Low to High", of course you'll get only demos. Refining the search with "do not show demos" will correctly hide products that are marked as demos, though there are a lot of demos that aren't listed correctly (which is against the rules).

• Thanks 1

A big problem with search results showing outdated and old products is that it makes SL as a whole look out dated. Imagine you are a new user and you search for something and all you find are sculpties, prim hair, etc, a ton of out dated stuff.

There's some really awesome builds and stuff creators have made and SL has added a lot of features to enable content creators to make cooler and cooler stuff. Not only does that make SL look out of date, it makes it look worse to new users. If you were a new user and people told you about SL, so you went to buy something that interested you, and only found stuff way out dated with old school building methods, how would you feel about SL in general? I know I wouldn't be excited.

Not to mention LL takes a cut of sales, it hurts their revenue when they are promoting 10 year old sculpties for L$99 instead of up to date products that cost more.

After keeping the grid stable and reliable, the most important thing for SL is making sure marketplace search works. That's how you start your avatar and it's a large part of how you start building with builder's kits and stuff.

21 hours ago, SerArthur56 said:
even if you try to upload a new item it doesn't appear in the newest first category

It might take a while for that to show up, odds are they are using a lot of caching so you're seeing the cached result instead of the latest result. Which is fine, it just means it takes a little bit to update at the cost of running faster and loading faster. It could be your browser too, you may have to force refresh the page, usually control+F5.

On 3/4/2023 at 1:37 AM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If you search for that product with quotes, you only get that product as a result. (Even if you just search for "hattention brat" with quotes)

If you make a general search and sort by "Price: Low to High", of course you'll get only demos. Refining the search with "do not show demos" will correctly hide products that are marked as demos, though there are a lot of demos that aren't listed correctly (which is against the rules).

yes you have right...but a search engine that works properly, it works even without quote..i mean if you go on amazon and you type samsung tv model xxxxxx, the engine find you all the results will be samsung tv model xxxxxx , you don t need quote or operators....2001 it s passed long time ago, one more thing with "relevance" will find the object that you are looking for, the problem is that with quote will give you one kind of result but without quote still giving you the item that you set on search but with another results, this is called "upgrade" ?.....this is called: merchants we don t want you to sell nothing, and customers if you are lucky maybe one day u will find exactly want you want...... and the worst thing is that this garbage is started from one week ago and nobody from lilnden lab say nothing even if you write on jira you will get no answers....

• Like 1

As a mere iggerant user of SL, and up to now the SL Marketplace, my assessment of LL's most recent "upgrade" is EPIC FAIL.

Whether I search with quotes or not I get maybe a couple of relevant items plus a host of totally unrelated stuff.  If I use quotation marks around the search terms the results are marginally better, in that I get about a dozen relevant items plus a heap of dross.

How, in heaven's name can this be called an improvement?  It appears to have been done by someone with little or no understanding either of their actions or the outcome.

When they broke it the first time it became unusable, then for a while it appeared "fixed".  It is now almost 100% useless.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

As a mere iggerant user of SL, and up to now the SL Marketplace, my assessment of LL's most recent "upgrade" is EPIC FAIL.

Whether I search with quotes or not I get maybe a couple of relevant items plus a host of totally unrelated stuff.  If I use quotation marks around the search terms the resuts are marginally better, in that I get about a dozen relevant items plus a heap of dross.

How, in heaven's name can this be called an improvement?  It appears to have been done by someone with little or no understanding either of their actions or the outcome.

When they broke it the first time it became unusable, then for a while it appeared "fixed".  It is now almost 100% useless.

I thought the Marketplace "Search upgrade" is still going to take awhile..

Like, in phases or something, until it is all installed and working.

Unless I missed a major post.

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Found the official article. It includes a link to report issues with the new search.

A lot of confusion because of roll-outs and roll-backs. It was "fixed", then rolled out again:

First roll-out:      Marketplace issues (Feb 14 around 2pm SL time) 

First roll-back:  Posted Feb 17, 2023 - 10:44 PST   https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/8k9zrtk0bq84

Second roll-out: Wednesday at 05:01 PM  We’re Improving Marketplace Search

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Samara Sharkfin said:

A lot of confusion because of roll-outs and roll-backs. It was "fixed", then rolled out again:

First roll-out:      Marketplace issues (Feb 14 around 2pm SL time) 

First roll-back:  Posted Feb 17, 2023 - 10:44 PST   https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/8k9zrtk0bq84

Second roll-out: Wednesday at 05:01 PM  We’re Improving Marketplace Search

theyr "improving" is "broke it" again, the only difference is that the second roll-out is to broke the MP again like the first time...just added  in the end "happy shopping and happy sales"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.