How do you change the profile picture on Secondlife.com? (not the inworld profile)

OrionOctane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1st of all, LL really needs to make it easier to access your own profile.  If I log into secondlife.com, I don't see any link to my profile.  If I click my account, there's no link to my profile.  If I click my name, it just goes to the dashboard.  The only way I know of, is to physically type in the link!  https://my.secondlife.com/orionoctane   

2nd; How do we change our profile pics now?  It use to be that I could click on the EDIT PROFILE button next to my profile picture, and then I could upload a pic.  Simple!  But now it says "To change your profile picture, log into the Second Life Viewer and select: Me > Profile > Actions > Upload Photo""  Like most people, I use Firestorm Viewer.  Do I actually have to download the default viewer and spend L to upload a picture, instead of just doing it directly on the website??   

3rd; Why do inworld search results now only lead to the website profile?  Previously if you searched for someone, you would get the option to open their inworld profile or to IM them directly.  But now it says "more info" which opens the person's Secondlife.com profile??  Most people don't even use these profiles.  Yet LL seems to be pushing them on us, and then they've made it confusing to access, and difficult to change your profile pic?!  Am I the only one that finds this ridiculous?  Sorry for ranting!  I just hate it when LL tries to fix things that aren't broken, and they end up breaking it in the process.

Edited by OrionOctane
  • Like 2

20 answers to this question

@Rolig Loon   
Sorry that follow up msg was rhetorical..  More a msg to LL.  The forum and profile are on the same site.  They have access to my info..  so the forum should "know" that I'm not new.  And by default it should use the same pic as my main profile.  Why have two different profile pics?  It's redundant.

As the title suggests, the only thing I really want to know is how to change my profile picture.  It use to be possible through the website, as it should be.  Are they really forcing users to download the default viewer and spend L to upload an image to the website??  Or is there still a way to do it through the site?  ...If LL want's people to use the website profile more, then they should make it more user friendly.  That was the point of my rant.

• Like 2

@Resi Pfeffer
You seem confused what I'm asking.  And I don't blame you, because the way it's setup is confusing.  So I will provide images to make it easier to understand..  These three platforms all connect to Secondlife.com.  Therefore it IS possible for them to be linked.  But the LL web devs would need to make it happen.  Currently https://my.secondlife.com already pulls information from the inworld profile.  It uses the same bio, the same picks, the same RL data, and the same RL photo...But for some reason it doesn't use the same Inworld photo.  Which is confusing.  

NBpuCGA.png

I want to know how to update my picture on the My.Secondlife.com website.  But when I click on Edit Profile, it tells me to go inworld and upload a photo..

XFOuy7v.png

In the Firestorm viewer, there is no ME menu.  Me>Profile>Actions>Upload Photo does NOT exist in the Firestorm Viewer.  So HOW do I change this picture??

Edited by OrionOctane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Rowan Amore  @Wulfie Reanimator 

Then why did they recently change the inworld search so that it opens the web profile instead of the inworld profile??  That's the main reason I want to update my web profile. 

Try searching for me inworld.  It will open the website instead of my inworld profile.  Which makes me feel like they're forcing the web profile on everyone, instead of removing it.

• Like 1

I am only messenger here, this is from Orion:

"After speaking to a friend, it seems I'm having 2 different bugs.

1. My web profile isn't updating, even though it should.  

2. My inworld searches are only offering "more info" which opens a person's web profile. 
I will update my viewer again, and hopefully that fixes it.  And I will go back to ignoring the web profiles.

I'm having Loverdag post on my behalf, because apparently I'm not allowed to make further posts in my own discussion.  I swear LL hates me xD
Thanks for your help
"

• Like 3

For anyone else that has this search issue, I found the solution.  If your inworld search results only show "more info" instead of "teleport", "group profile", "people's profile", and "IM", then do this;

1. Clear your viewer cashe

2. goto Network in the Prefs, and make it "use the built in browser for all links"

3. Restart your viewer

4. Paste this link in local.  https://search.secondlife.com/viewer

5. Right click the link and open it with the internal browser.

That should fix it!

Edited by OrionOctane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, OrionOctane said:

And it says New Resident???  I've been on SL for almost 6 years!  >_<

New to the forums, which is all the the Invision software knows about. You may have been in SL for 6 years, but you have only posted to the forums twice ... both of them today in this thread.  And that's why your thumbnail image here is just a big O too. You haven't gotten around to filling in your forum profile.  Click the drop down menu under your name in the upper right corner of the screen here and navigate to Profile

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OrionOctane said:

As the title suggests, the only thing I really want to know is how to change my profile picture.  It use to be possible through the website, as it should be.  Are they really forcing users to download the default viewer and spend L to upload an image to the website??  Or is there still a way to do it through the site?  ...If LL want's people to use the website profile more, then they should make it more user friendly.  That was the point of my rant.

Its three things (platforms). They dont connect with each other.

-Rolig described how to change the picture on the official forum at community.secondlife.com
-You know yourself how to change the picture at my.secondlife.com
-Yes, you have to pay 10LD while being in SL to upload a picture in order to make it your inworld profile pic. Its not connected to the SL website, the forums or anything else. You can do uploads with most viewers, tho, like firestorm, the LL viewer, blackdragon, catznip, etc.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OrionOctane said:

it should use the same pic as my main profile.  Why have two different profile pics?  It's redundant.

No it's not. A lot of us like to change our Forum thumbnail from time to time. It would be annoying to the extreme if that caused my Profile picture to change as well.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OrionOctane said:

@Resi Pfeffer
You seem confused what I'm asking.  And I don't blame you, because the way it's setup is confusing.  So I will provide images to make it easier to understand..  These three platforms all connect to Secondlife.com.  Therefore it IS possible for them to be linked.  But the LL web devs would need to make it happen.  Currently https://my.secondlife.com already pulls information from the inworld profile.  It uses the same bio, the same picks, the same RL data, and the same RL photo...But for some reason it doesn't use the same Inworld photo.  Which is confusing.  

NBpuCGA.png

I want to know how to update my picture on the My.Secondlife.com website.  But when I click on Edit Profile, it tells me to go inworld and upload a photo..

XFOuy7v.png

In the Firestorm viewer, there is no ME menu.  Me>Profile>Actions>Upload Photo does NOT exist in the Firestorm Viewer.  So HOW do I change this picture??

I am totally at sea too so thank you very much for those examples.  Changing in-world and on the forums is easy but I do not see a way to upload a photo to the my.secondlife profile though, oddly, my RL photo that I had uploaded recently in-world was there.  The only other variable I can think of is that I use the Chrome browser for the Forums and the SL website.  As mentioned I am reluctant to install the SL viewer just for this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

As mentioned I am reluctant to install the SL viewer just for this.

Then install it because it's a smart idea. When you observe unexpected behavior in the viewer, one of the first things to do is eliminate the possibility that the viewer itself is screwed up. Certainly, if you ever submit a support case, have a Live Chat session, or submit a JIRA report (for a suspected bug or a new feature request), the first thing the LL support staff will ask is, "What results do you get with the standard viewer?" Finally, third party viewers are all based on the standard viewer. New functions (and upgrades and bug fixes to the basic core of the viewer code) are introduced by LL, so they appear later in the TPVs. Regardless of which viewer you prefer for daily use, having the standard viewer up to date on your machine is a good idea.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, OrionOctane said:

Currently https://my.secondlife.com already pulls information from the inworld profile.  It uses the same bio, the same picks, the same RL data, and the same RL photo...But for some reason it doesn't use the same Inworld photo.  Which is confusing. 

Linden Lab is currently in the process of removing the web profiles at my.secondlife.com in favor of updating the in-viewer profile layout instead (as things used to be).

There was a time when the web profile would stay in sync, including the profile picture, but that will not be the case anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, OrionOctane said:

@Rowan Amore  @Wulfie Reanimator

Then why did they recently change the inworld search so that it opens the web profile instead of the inworld profile??  That's the main reason I want to update my web profile.

Try searching for me inworld.  It will open the website instead of my inworld profile.  Which makes me feel like they're forcing the web profile on everyone, instead of removing it.

That's just not the case. The default profile type can be changed by a setting, so that's probably why you're suddenly seeing web profiles.

In the past, you could even change your in-world profile picture for free from the web profile, and web profiles were used by default in most viewers. LL started moving away from web profiles a few years ago, and the ability to change profile pictures on the web was disabled in the last year or so. You can read about the changes here:

https://modemworld.me/2019/06/11/sl-legacy-profiles-project-viewer/

https://modemworld.me/2022/07/25/profiles-viewer-reaches-rc-status-in-second-life/

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, OrionOctane said:

So I will provide images to make it easier to understand..  These three platforms all connect to Secondlife.com.  Therefore it IS possible for them to be linked.  But the LL web devs would need to make it happen.  Currently https://my.secondlife.com already pulls information from the inworld profile.  It uses the same bio, the same picks, the same RL data, and the same RL photo...But for some reason it doesn't use the same Inworld photo.  Which is confusing.  

Just because something is possible, it doesnt mean its done anytime soon. Especially when you write about that little issue in the forum.
If you wanna have a small chance getting minor inconveniences like profile pictures solved, open a jira ticket.

Besides that, LindenLabs is a company like anyone else. They have to earn money in order to pay their bills and staff. Its not a state run wellfare organisation. Thats why uploading a texture costs 10 L$.
If you want to avoid it, go Premium Plus for 249 US$ a year. Then every sound, texture and gesture upload is for free.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, OrionOctane said:

Currently https://my.secondlife.com already pulls information from the inworld profile.  It uses the same bio, the same picks, the same RL data, and the same RL photo...But for some reason it doesn't use the same Inworld photo.  Which is confusing.  

After reading it three times i see where you are coming from. :)
Yeah, its true, my.secondlife.com doesnt have the same profile pic like the inworld profile, and cant be changed. I guess its a bug, like many other things.
I wouldnt rate it priority A to get it fixed, tho.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/8/2023 at 3:03 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Since LL has done away with web based profiles, including Interest tab and Homepage, I imagine they also did away with uploads to the web profile.page.

The web profiles are still there. What the OP is referring to is that by doing that option either through the SL viewer or, the Firestorm viewer it still doesn't change your picture on the web profile.

On 2/8/2023 at 11:40 AM, OrionOctane said:

@Resi Pfeffer

NBpuCGA.png

XFOuy7v.png

You have the option in the Firestorm viewer to delete the picture, upload a new picture or change your picture. In the SL viewer you just click on the ME link at the upper left hand of the screen and that's how you change your picture. Keep in mind that your picture will never change on the actual website. That's just another one of LL's many snafus.

24 minutes ago, Julie36DDD said:

The web profiles are still there. What the OP is referring to is that by doing that option either through the SL viewer or, the Firestorm viewer it still doesn't change your picture on the web profile.

They changed web based profile inworld.  Now, they are the way they used to be years ago.  You CAN see those web profiles through the browser inworld.

https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/11538-viewer-profiles-everything-old-is-new-again/

What you're referring to is mysecondlife.com which has sort of been abandoned by SL.  The picture does eventually change...sometimes.  The feed on mine says I last changed the picture a year ago when in fact, I changed it last month.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.