Are people afraid to talk to older accounts?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Living dangerously with those inventory windows so far apart too .. any minor glitching and BAM, you're wearing a house !!

I usually have three windows open.. I think i closed the one just for the picture..

I was trying everything on that I hadn't seen in a long time anyways.. hehehehe

Plus, it wouldn't be the first time I wore a house.. lol

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I was never an introvert , indeed when i settled in to SL i spent most of my time text chatting in public to keep other people engaged and entertained .

But as time went on i slipped into a if you can't beat em then join them attitude, and so now i fit right in by disliking everybody by default .

I speak when spoken to which provides distraction about 5 minutes a month .

I talk more in the forum and ironically this text was interrupted by my monthly 5 minutes but they got the message and flew away when i said

[02:26] Cuno (cunomar): im not good company and you come here to enjoy yourself

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2023 at 6:04 AM, Lewis Luminos said:

That's just totally backwards. The longer you've been on SL, the more you know about it.

My experience has been that the longer someone has been in SL, the more likely they are to "know" (and often be very certain about) something that's actually wrong, that used to be true and isn't anymore, or that has been generalized from their own experiences and social groups but doesn't hold true for the much larger world that they're often not very aware of because they've been in the same spaces with the same people for years.

And my main is pretty old so I'm probably just as guilty of this as anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People constantly approach me at public events or in rentals in shock and surprise that I can be more than 18 years old, and some of them don't even believe it, because they feel like themselves, SL was born yesterday.

I've never felt that anyone was "afraid to talk to me" because of my age. But I think if they see an old avatar, they figure the person is old in RL, too, and in my case, they're right, I'm 66. I know people in their 70s in SL.

SL is a place where you are expected to be eternally young, especially if dating and socializing. I'm not eternally young. But if you want to be, understood.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 12:55 PM, Ezbeharra said:

My experience has been that the longer someone has been in SL, the more likely they are to "know" (and often be very certain about) something that's actually wrong, that used to be true and isn't anymore, or that has been generalized from their own experiences and social groups but doesn't hold true for the much larger world that they're often not very aware of because they've been in the same spaces with the same people for years.

And my main is pretty old so I'm probably just as guilty of this as anyone.

I think you haven't yet joined the group OMGODZORS! Prok is Right!

You will.

On 1/17/2023 at 9:30 PM, River Aurelia said:

Yeah, that's something that I've strongly noticed as of late too. It's hard not to feel that way when we do have users who are well into their fifties and sixties.

And some of us are in our seventies or eighties and find it hard as hades to read teeny tiny fonts.

Interesting thread. I've been around for almost 15 years and I still don't get scripting. No worries, I leave that to those who do. They script and I buy.  As for random talking in SL, I generally don't attempt to start a conversation in IM. If I am in a club, which I am two or three times a week, I talk with anybody and everybody in local but prefer not to use IM unless necessary. IM's disturb my focus on local chat and my dance hud stuff. When I am not at a club, I'm usually working on a project by myself or spending time with my partner or shopping. Not too many occasions where I feel the impulse to get a conversation going with somebody I don't know. If a total stranger speaks to me in IM, and it doesn't happen very often, it's usually when I am shopping and the person is attempting to hit on me (usually a male but not always) or it's somebody young and new to SL and trying to make friends (usually but not always a female). I swat the irritating pesky mosquito predators with a block. And I usually am polite with noobs, offer help if they seem to need that, and then let them know that I am busy and have to move on. I have no desire to "make friends" with people. Friendships, for me, come with time spent together...in clubs, sailing, activities that we share. If I am at one of the places my partner and have for sailing activities, and someone arrives and starts to talk in local, I'm all for it. I ask if they need help, am friendly, sometimes a good chat can come out of that..who knows, perhaps eventually a friendship.  Maybe we older SL residents seem unfriendly because we are generally involved in something, focused on something rather than sitting out somewhere with a cuppa making ourselves available for potential conversations and or friendships. 

Edited by Cate Foulsbane
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.