Best Body and head?

Clarke Millar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Realistic male...we're still waiting for that. 😂

Kidding, sorta.

Realistic slender - CZ Slim, but awaiting some more clothing as it's pretty new. Belleza Jake if you want a booty.

Realistic athletic - Jake, Legacy Male, or Legacy Athletic. Maybe Signature Gianni if you want to look more gym buff in the upper body.

Realistic dad bod - there are mods and skins for that now.

For heads - Lelutka Evo X or Akeruka ADVX. Both have some nice options that are Evo X compatible (so you can wear most skins being sold, pretty much).

• Like 2

The male me sports a Gianni + Lelutka head. Best clothing in my opinion is your basic set of outfits ... a suit, biz causal, some jeans and teeshirts and coats, and one beach/gym look. Clothing for guys I recommend Deadwool for the suit, then places like Cold Ash, toksik, Lapointe & Bastchilde, and A&P.  Lots of good skin stores for face look/shape and body skin.

Also, if you see me in world say hi and I'll  go shopping with you to help.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

The male me sports a Gianni + Lelutka head. Best clothing in my opinion is your basic set of outfits ... a suit, biz causal, some jeans and teeshirts and coats, and one beach/gym look. Clothing for guys I recommend Deadwool for the suit, then places like Cold Ash, toksik, Lapointe & Bastchilde, and A&P.  Lots of good skin stores for face look/shape and body skin.

Also, if you see me in world say hi and I'll  go shopping with you to help.

You are very kind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clarke Millar said:

Handsome realistic male.

The best body is Belleza Jake, in my opinion. It is cheap, and many creators include that size in their packs. The Belleza Jake is easy to shop for.

You can save money on shopping in the weekend. It is many common male outfits on sale for 60 - 75 Linden. Sweetshirts, pants, sneakers and more. The blog Seraphimsl.com start to post weekend sales on Friday, with Fifty Linden Friday sale, then Manly Weekend and Wanderlust weekend.

But the best weekend shopping for men are TMD Weekend sale for men. In the Saturday sale and Happy Weekend is it mostly female items, but you find good male things there too. 

Two prevous years has Lelutka spoiled us with Christmas gifts, free heads, one male and one female. We can not say there will be a gift this year too, but it may be smart to wait until Christmas is over, just in case.

A Lelutka head is the best option. It is easy to shop for too, you find skins, hairbases and beards for it everywhere. Be aware that Lelutka has made a new UV map of the skin for the head. This is marked as EvoX or EVO X on all products. You can not mix it with default SL UV, it gives a terrible look. Hair on the cheeks and mouth in the forehead. Lelutka heads has a button in the HUD that you toggle to switch between Evo (For the default SL UV) and EvoX. I recommend you start with EvoX, creators drop the default Second Life UV map and is using Lelutkas UV map.

You must demo, demo everything you buy. Things are complicated before you get into it. Demos have everything as the full priced items, only floating demo signs and demo markings. 

I will recommend you to use the Belleza jake body first, spend some days on it only. You can start to try Lelutka demo heads after you got the body working for you. 

I don't know how many years you've been away. It is possible to use many more layers now, I think it is over 50. But you must use "add", not "wear". Wear takes off the first layer, replaces it. It is good to get used to add things. 

I will not overwhelm you with BoM, I direct you to this blog, read the BoM tutorials. Tutorials – Virtual Bloke

He's CEO for Catwa. It is also good mesh heads, but Lelutka took over the market, so they are easier to shop for.

Edited by Marianne Little
typo and adding a few words
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

If you will buy a head before Christmas, you just missed the 50% off on Black Friday sale. I doubt Lelutka runs a new sale so soon again.

The head I like best is Lelutka Jon head. 

You can see it here: lelutka jon head - Bing images

And Lel might be inclined to do another Christmas head giveaway too, but that's still off a bit-if they decide to do it.

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The best body is Belleza Jake, in my opinion. It is cheap, and many creators include that size in their packs. The Belleza Jake is easy to shop for.

So much so that I've seen Belleza Jake versions, on rare occaions, in outfit packs I buy. And I don't buy male clothing.

I noticed, but didn't get it imprinted in my brain very deeply, so I can't recal style of clothing, or who all did that. 

Edited by PJBear
additions

The reason people often do not set Legacy on top, is:

- Price

- The company that owns Legacy use external servers. It means that if those servers stop working, you can't change things on the body that need the servers to work.

- Complexity. It has more triangles.

- Not modify. Up until recently, all mesh bodies was no mod. But Belleza changed so that Jake is mod.

- The brand that is Meshbody now, and owns Legacy, has a past under another name. Search TMP in this section of the forum, it should give you some ideas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as new clothes/releases are concerned, Legacy is nearly always in two supported bodies most creators rig for. I mean the original content, not FP recolors. Some continue to rig for 3 or even more bodies, but a lot have have dropped either Gianni or Jake, depends on the store. For example toksik and kai dropped Gianni a while ago already, and Native Urban dropped Jake with just a few releases out, while everything new there is Legacy+Gianni only.

I think all 3 options are fine, but if I were making a male avatar now I'd get Legacy Athletic. Normal one never got an update to fix high altitude seams on it, but they both fit same clothing in 99% cases anyway, and shape wise there's barely any difference even if compare side by side. That's personal preferences, though, as I'm not a fan of Gianni's torso and arms, and not a fan of Jake's bubble butt either (all belleza bodies have that).

If price is not an issue, then I wouldn't worry about irrelevant complexity numbers as they have been played for so many years already, nor about the external servers. Only two things server side that are needed to be done once are activating BoM and changing nails colors (if someone gonna use 3rd party nails, then not even that). It's still shouldn't be a thing as any and all web based HUDs, but not nearly as bad as some people make it sound. Change/activate it once, make a backup (or a few) of a ready to use body, and even if SL will do its SL thing and borks the body, then just copy the backup, replace the links and continue as is.

• Like 1

I love the look of Legacy, and it is easy to shop for. And you are right, if one activates Bom and uses Bom only, the theroretical risk of Meshbody's servers going down, is only that we can't go back to how it worked without BoM. 

Every time we purchase something in SL, we run the risk of the creator disappearing, the product get borked, and we can't get a replacement or help. Nothing is "safe". Heck, even SL can end and I sit there with Wowmeh, TMP, Maitreya, Belleza and Legacy in my inventory. All gone. Yes, I bough Legacy Perky in a sale... I never seem to use it, lol.

My view is that we should shop what we want and like, and enjoy it. We should ask questions and try demos first, unless money is no issue and we can shop more with no problems. If one thing disappoint us, just buy a new one. 

The OP has not given any indication of that price matters, that he has a budget or even what type clothes he is looking for. Only "handsome male" and Lord knows SL does not have (many) bodies that goes in for the "ugly male" look on purpose. It is complaints about all the bodies, they have wrong shoulders, wrong butt, too high complexity, muscles, too much of this and too little of that. No one loves every body in SL.

I know I have recommended Belleza to others, and they go and buy Gianni. They bought it because they tried on demos, and saw Gianni had what they wanted. And they knew Gianni was a body they could buy enough clothes for. Even if a few creators drop Gianni, it can swing in all directions. You buy the most popular body now, another body gets super popular and suddenly you notice that support for your body has dropped.

The OP sounds little interested in trying on demos, I get the impression that he want the "right" answer, so I am trying to reply as wide as I can, and also give arguments against Legacy. It is too often people come and say "I wish I knew this before". I don't mean that I hear many say that about Legacy. It is mostly about the smaller brands of mesh bodies that almost no one rigs clothes for.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I love the look of Legacy, and it is easy to shop for. And you are right, if one activates Bom and uses Bom only, the theroretical risk of Meshbody's servers going down, is only that we can't go back to how it worked without BoM. 

Every time we purchase something in SL, we run the risk of the creator disappearing, the product get borked, and we can't get a replacement or help. Nothing is "safe". Heck, even SL can end and I sit there with Wowmeh, TMP, Maitreya, Belleza and Legacy in my inventory. All gone. Yes, I bough Legacy Perky in a sale... I never seem to use it, lol.

My view is that we should shop what we want and like, and enjoy it. We should ask questions and try demos first, unless money is no issue and we can shop more with no problems. If one thing disappoint us, just buy a new one. 

The OP has not given any indication of that price matters, that he has a budget or even what type clothes he is looking for. Only "handsome male" and Lord knows SL does not have (many) bodies that goes in for the "ugly male" look on purpose. It is complaints about all the bodies, they have wrong shoulders, wrong butt, too high complexity, muscles, too much of this and too little of that. No one loves every body in SL.

I know I have recommended Belleza to others, and they go and buy Gianni. They bought it because they tried on demos, and saw Gianni had what they wanted. And they knew Gianni was a body they could buy enough clothes for. Even if a few creators drop Gianni, it can swing in all directions. You buy the most popular body now, another body gets super popular and suddenly you notice that support for your body has dropped.

The OP sounds little interested in trying on demos, I get the impression that he want the "right" answer, so I am trying to reply as wide as I can, and also give arguments against Legacy. It is too often people come and say "I wish I knew this before". I don't mean that I hear many say that about Legacy. It is mostly about the smaller brands of mesh bodies that almost no one rigs clothes for.

Yes thankyou. Money is not an issue.  But can you explain what people mean when they say that a creator who sold you a body can “turn something off” on their side or “their servers “ go down and your body disappears? Also doesn’t Linden labs hold these creators on mp accountable?

@Clarke Millar

Last first, accountable? I say definitely: NOT!

Some designers use private servers to control their product in SL. Doing so gives them control over the product. Your HUD sends changes you make to the remote server which then communicates the changes to the product. Since the designer is between your HUD and the product, they can decide what does or doesn't happen.

The common problem is that at some point it is no longer profitable to maintain the private server. The designer turns it off and walks away. Your HUD stops working.

I have never hear of a product totally disappearing. They just stop working. So you could still wear a body but you wouldn't be able to make changes to it.

Thinkers now ask why do this remote server thing? The most common reason is to protect the product from copy-bot theft. Anyone stealing then has to make a HUD to run the product and revise the product to talk with a HUD. Not an easy task.

Even the non-thinkers ask why the Lab would not hold the designers accountable. Most people are now conditioned to think someone, usually government, will take care of them and tell people what to do. That isn't reality, common yes, reality no. So the Lab is a service provider not an enforcement agency. They see such damage as a user-to-user issue that belongs in RL courts.

Basically it is up to you to hold such designers accountable. Buyer beware.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We haven't spoken much about Signature Gianni.

It is easy to shop for. One of the three bodies that's more often than not rigged for. The three major ones is Belleza Jake, Signature Gianni and Legacy.

People say Gianni goes down in popularity... I see Gianni sizes everywhere... 

The owner of Belleza had a hiatus, and did not fix a neck issue. But that is fixed now. As I don't use Legacy male, I have no idea if the glitches in the upper body is fixed on it. @steeljane42say it's not, in a post over here. 

Signature fixes problems with the bodies if they appear, includes new options like Bento and BoM fast, and send out updates all the time.

It is absolutely worth buying, especially if you like a buff gym body with big deltoids (Large shoulder muscles). It is one of the things of Gianni that you love or hate.

Signature has a second body, Geralt. That's a more slim body, still muscular, but a bit less defined. It has not taken off. It is not often Geralt sizes in the packs of clothing.

I am "wear and shop", I will not hunt down where my size are. I do not recommend Slink male for that reason. I have Slink male on an alt, and it drives me bonkers. The support is gone. It is almost no sizes for it in new releases. It is only in releases that are some years old. I seriously consider to buy Belleza Jake for him, even if I log him in maybe 2-4 times a year.

If I go on a sale and buy a nice pair of rigged rings, I forget that I am in my male alt with Slink, and goes !"3#¤! when I unpack. It is no Slink male size with the rings, of course. But I store them, in case I buy Belleza Jake one day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Signature has a second body, Geralt. That's a more slim body, still muscular, but a bit less defined. It has not taken off. It is not often Geralt sizes in the packs of clothing.

Not anymore. Davis has taken the place of Geralt. I see clothes appearing for it at events a lot more now than just a few months ago. As for Legacy being more 'popular' now at events, that may be so. I have to ask, however, whether one needs every single bit of clothing that comes out at these events. Jake and Gianni, for example, have quite a lot of clothing already available from vendors going back years before Legacy came out. In that case you'll often find clothing in the marketplace or in world made for either Jake or Gianni that won't ever become available for Legacy.

1 hour ago, KjartanEno said:

Not anymore. Davis has taken the place of Geralt. I see clothes appearing for it at events a lot more now than just a few months ago. As for Legacy being more 'popular' now at events, that may be so. I have to ask, however, whether one needs every single bit of clothing that comes out at these events. Jake and Gianni, for example, have quite a lot of clothing already available from vendors going back years before Legacy came out. In that case you'll often find clothing in the marketplace or in world made for either Jake or Gianni that won't ever become available for Legacy.

Oh! I totally forgot Davis. So now it is three Signature boys. Davis is muscular, what should you call it? A refined Gianni?

Signature takes good care of their customers, don't you agree? Every time I log in the alt with Signature Gianni, he gets an update. Signature is very much working and active in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.