Someone keeps hacking into my account

Shiri Constantine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

They hack my password, then try to steal my linden dollars.  I've caught TWO people at this, now a third is making another attempt.  I want this put to a stop, but hey yall don't provide support anymore.  So. This needs to be addressed, and I'll be quite aggressive about it until it IS addressed. 

If anyone has suggestions, please make them.  Trolls need not speak, and if you do, be aware, that I have no problem abusing you the same way.  Be cool or be gone

Seems people are the same all over.  Yes I am a person that not many like, and I'm good with that. However, that is no excuse to hack an account, and try to steal someones money.  So, justify it any way you want. But It's still not right.  I've gotten hold of support.  I won't ask for help here again, as community doesn't mean the same thing as it used to.

Edited by Shiri Constantine

14 answers to this question

@Shiri Constantine

• Change your SL password
  • Implement Multi-Factor Authentication
  • Report the compromised account to LL using the Fraud Hotline: 800-860-6990
  • Submit an Abuse Report against each person who gained access to your account. Since these may be alts of the same person, be sure to reference your other reports.
  • Scan your computer using at least two programs, an anti virus program and an anti malware program.
  • Stop clicking on links you see in chat, group chat, or IMs. If you do click on any such links, DO NOT enter your login credentials, even if it looks like an SL sign in page.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shiri Constantine said:

They hack my password, then try to steal my linden dollars.  I've caught TWO people at this, now a third is making another attempt.  I want this put to a stop, but hey yall don't provide support anymore.  So. This needs to be addressed, and I'll be quite aggressive about it until it IS addressed. 

If anyone has suggestions, please make them.  Trolls need not speak, and if you do, be aware, that I have no problem abusing you the same way.  Be cool or be gone

Seems people are the same all over.  Yes I am a person that not many like, and I'm good with that. However, that is no excuse to hack an account, and try to steal someones money.  So, justify it any way you want. But It's still not right.  I've gotten hold of support.  I won't ask for help here again, as community doesn't mean the same thing as it used to.

Use very strong passwords and MFA

• Like 3

The rest of us are not having that problem. And the SL password process is as difficult to hack as any bank's login process.

This has me wondering what you are doing that has made you a target? Ans then there is the matter of how you are catching them? How do you know you are being hacked?

In most cases a hacker figures out a password and logins in and takes your L$ before one can even know there is a problem.  So what happening?

And Sam is right. This is a user-to-user forum. Occasionally a Linden staff person reads the forum. But if you need help, contact Support.

Right at the start you begin with threats. You also admit you are into abuse. That tells us a lot about you... which likely is the root of Nick's response.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

You could turn on MFA (multi-factor authentication) for your account.  See the Multi-Factor Authentication section of the Password and Account Information Knowledge Base article.

My account was recently hacked and LL notified me of suspicious activity immediately.   I was on vacation and sick with Covid,  so it took a few days to see the email.  Once I opened a support ticket,  they were quick to put my account on hold.   They worked with me to refund my lost lindens/dollars,  and suggested the MFA security.    I plan to set it up soon.   There's really only so much LL can do,  just like any company.    Be sure to change your password often and set up MFA.  

Sorry this happens to anyone - such a PITA.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shiri Constantine said:

I just would like to point out that you were quite rude in your OP right out of the gate.  Next time you have an issue or a problem TRY coming at it from different view. You might find that "community" has always meant the same thing. Treat others how you'd like to be treated, which in your case was not nice at all.

• Like 3

Unfortunately using MFA will not protect their account at this time because all a person has to do is use a TPV that doesn't implement it or an older version of one that does and it will not stop them from logging in with just a username and password.  LL really need to plug this hole and let the user base know that it has been plugged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Unfortunately using MFA will not protect their account at this time because all a person has to do is use a TPV that doesn't implement it or an older version of one that does and it will not stop them from logging in with just a username and password.  LL really need to plug this hole and let the user base know that it has been plugged.

Totally true -- I did forget about that.

So back to "Password creation 101" -- Use strong complicated passwords.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Well phooey!~   I did that for nothing then.    :(

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Cali Souther said:

Well phooey!~   I did that for nothing then.    :(

Thanks!

Don't feel bad, it's not quite for nothing as it still protects your account from the web site side of things which cannot be circumvented.  I just wish LL had implemented this so that you could set it up for web site only and/or viewer.

*knocks loudly on the glass dome of the ivory tower*  Are you listening LL?

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.