krankhaus left sl?

Devilgrey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

so i clicked on krankhaus's profile unintentionally when visiting their shop on marketplace and noticed their bio said they retired. was any posts on social media about why krankhaus left secondlife? i was trying to see if they had a twitter but couldn't find anything. kraunkhaus's tumblr has been abandoned for a few years, so nothing there. I'm sad bc i own quite abit of their stuff. unfortunate to have a unique creator on sl dissapear

Untitled.png

• Sad 5

true. to be clear, i didn't make this post by any means to be like "they can't leave sl, how dare they". i asked bc i enjoyed supporting them as a artist, so buying their creations on marketplace was a way to do that. but now it seems they've deleted twitter too, so there's no means for me to continue supporting them outside of sl either. its sad imo for good artists to vanish online. since the shop is still open, i hope if anything krankhaus occasionally logs in to get their money. might as well if they're still earning lidens despite retiring.

6 minutes ago, Jinx Lavarock said:

Yeah they moved to Roblox now and they're selling better than sl. Good for them but 😭 my gender affirming alternative clothing!!!

what really? i wouldn't have expected that. do you have a link to thier roblox? i have a account but dont play it much.

and same, i was think of buying kuroo for the clothing. but since i saw they left, updates for it probably wont happen. :/

Edited by Devilgrey
typo
  • Like 1

Just now, PermaRuthed said:

If they left SL and not providing product support for the store still left open, at least they should reduce the prices.

Just now, Jinx Lavarock said:

Yeah I noticed despite being gone, prices actually went up

yeah i noticed this aswell maybe a month ago now. thats partly why i found it shocking that they left sl. even their old avatar 2.0 clothes is now l$500 when it was previously L$50. those clothes for avatar 2.0 weren't updated to fit the 1.14 versions of that body, so it was already outdated.

• Like 1

If they aren't updating anything and still selling outdated things, let alone raising the price on outdated products.. Then they've moved on from being an artist in this platform, to being just a business person..

There is nothing against the rules for doing that, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

i agree. ive listed some personal texture mods for cheap (50L). it doesnt bother me much since i created those mods for myself, and decided to share it with others who may happened to like them too. but as a sl creator on here trying to make a income, anything under 500L aint nothing in irl money. so i understand why sometimes its hard for find quality stuff really cheap.

though im not sure how well L$500-1500 clothes and mesh will continue to sell for if there's no support in the long run? but since krankhaus doesn't plan on returning, it doesn't matter i guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

There's dead and dead. He must be just mostly dead, not all the way dead. (See The Princess Bride for this cultural reference.)

If this person still has a Marketplace store, then they still have an account, and that account is getting paid L$ every time someone buys something.

It's a nearly automatic income stream, like royalties.

Some creators who've left SL have made their creations freebies. I consider this to be the better legacy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

There's dead and dead. He must be just mostly dead, not all the way dead. (See The Princess Bride for this cultural reference.)

If this person still has a Marketplace store, then they still have an account, and that account is getting paid L$ every time someone buys something.

It's a nearly automatic income stream, like royalties.

Some creators who've left SL have made their creations freebies. I consider this to be the better legacy.

yeah it is better for a creator to make royalties if leaving sl than making nothing, especially if ppl keep buying their stuff.

17 hours ago, Devilgrey said:

what really? i wouldn't have expected that. do you have a link to thier roblox? i have a account but dont play it much.

and same, i was think of buying kuroo for the clothing. but since i saw they left, updates for it probably wont happen. :/

https://www.roblox.com/catalog?Category=1&CreatorName=beastinwhite here you go

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 4:07 PM, Devilgrey said:

yeah i noticed this aswell maybe a month ago now. thats partly why i found it shocking that they left sl. even their old avatar 2.0 clothes is now l$500 when it was previously L$50. those clothes for avatar 2.0 weren't updated to fit the 1.14 versions of that body, so it was already outdated.

On 11/15/2022 at 4:07 PM, Devilgrey said:

even their old avatar 2.0 clothes is now l$500 when it was previously L$50

Wow, that is not nice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guess it's time to dust off my old Avi2.0 devkit and start making 50L$ clothes. My only possible competition has gone away and jacked up their prices. The niche market is ALL MINE NOW! Mwahahahahaaaaaa~! Now where did I leave my anime head? I'll need it. XD

It's kind of sad to see this, I mean, they had some of the most neato stuff they made for Uti's avatars. It happens though, people either head more in the direction of business over fun and friends, or they just outgrow a scene or fandom entirely. Sad to see them go, they were a gifted creator. Not a lot of what they made was really my style, but it's still really well-made and they have a real eye for design. If anime-style avatars hadn't been popular already, they'd have made them popular.

As for the higher prices, maybe it's been done with the knowledge that his work is now more exclusive, and maybe he just doesn't want to log in once a month or so and find he only made a couple of hundred. I mean, if I was going to log into something I left, I'd want it to be worth it. Also you can charge whatever you want if you're never going to respond to customers.They'll either pay it or they won't. It's like selling pot, or anything else, really. If they want it badly enough, they'll pay what you ask.

I don't even know what Roblox actually is, go me, huh. I hope they're actually having a better time over there, at least. To each their own. I'll stick with SL, me. But yeah, sucks to see they left.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

If the goal is purely making money I can unfortunately see the appeal that platform has. The models are so simple and quick to make compared to what's needed in SL (and there's no real rigging involved, not in the SL sense), and kids are usually eager to buy shiny things en masse.

Aha, it's a lego-style game. Eww.

Yeah, someone tried to get me to make stuff for Minecraft already, said I'd make loads of money. I just can't get into the whole 8-bit look. Back when that was all we had, I dreamed of having something like SL instead. Sometimes I even turn on my antialiasing, just to bask in my smooth skin and smooth edges. It's nice having hair that doesn't look like a brick, also. Makes me feel like a fairy-tale princess, not being all jaggedy.

Making stuff for a platform like that would be like going back to making internet paper dolls. Sure, it was fun, but it wasn't SL.

And yeah, I might just make some stuff for the Avi2.0. I actually dusted mine off last week and updated it, and my old Normie head, and I was able to pretty much get the same look as I have now with an avi and head that cost me almost 8k. My only hangup is the body isn't SLUV compatible, so no BoM for it, but whatever, really. It was my avatar of choice for over a year when I was new, and I only switched to the Kemono for a while because it had more sliders (at that time, anyway).

I still consider it to be one of the best avatar choices for newer/less wealthy residents, or even just people who like the look.

Give me long enough and I might talk myself into it.

And yeah, maybe krank just decided s/he really really liked playing Roblox. I suck at multiplatforming myself, and it's not like I go back and hang out on Gaia or anything since joining SL. No accounting for what a person likes or chooses to do for fun and/or pizza money. And looking at their catalog now, they obviously very much enjoy Roblox. And are doing outstanding work to advance the design arts on that platform just like they did in SL.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

Last time I looked you only get about 30% of the revenue generated by your items in Roblox, the rest is swallowed by various fees&leeches. If that still makes commercial sense for creators compared to SL's much more favorable fee structure it paints a bleak picture about the state of SL's economy.

23 minutes ago, Candide LeMay said:

Last time I looked you only get about 30% of the revenue generated by your items in Roblox, the rest is swallowed by various fees&leeches. If that still makes commercial sense for creators compared to SL's much more favorable fee structure it paints a bleak picture about the state of SL's economy.

The only bleak thing I see about SL's economy is that most users who spend real money are very demanding and require creators to pretty much be on 24/7 to help them with every fart and poot of their experience or risk being negged as a bad vendor. SL wasn't always about people joining and making stuff to sell. The creator/vendor economy is sort of a thing that grew onto it, and fluctuates like any other economy anywhere in the world.

To be successful in any competitive business is more work than most are willing to put into anything besides scrolling Facebutt. Lack of easy riches isn't a dying economy, it's a picky and demanding one that most people aren't willing to deal with if they want a soft lifestyle that doesn't feel like work.

Also, it's natural that any wise business person would look for new markets and neglect those they're already established in, as the newer markets steal some of their focus. Making only 30% of your sales revenue but selling 50 times more because kids with mom's credit card don't care how much they spend, well, that's enticing for people who like money and sell digital goods. They'd literally be fools not to go there and sell stuff.

If people in business did everything exactly the way their customers wanted, they'd all go out of business. They have to please the customer somehow, and still please themselves, or why even bother. I mean, would YOU starve just so people in SL who don't really GAF about you were all happy? Be honest, how many sleepless nights have you had, worrying that the people you buy from have enough to eat? If you've lost any sleep at all, consider sending them some real money as a gift, because a few hundred L$ isn't even enough for a donut and a pint of milk.

I don't think the economy is all that bad. I see how much my friends spend, and I see how many people even like my stuff and buy it, and if I can have a SL that pays for itself, then it's not a dying economy, cos my stuff isn't really all that great, I just do what I can. But every time I list something new, I get sales within hours of listing it. I think the main kvetch people have with the SL economy is that like any other venue for selling art, you have to work it hard to succeed at it full-time. Actually, a lot of successful artists aren't even full-time artists. They either have day jobs and just don't talk about it, or like most famous artists in the past, they have outside support from people who want to see them succeed because they have a gift.

Or they're a Kardashian.

I hope krank is making money, and having fun. I know how much work it can be, and how unrewarding it can be, too. But seeing they're still out there doing what they're best at is encouraging in so many ways.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Candide LeMay said:

Roblox has something like 55 M daily users. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

And yeah, maybe krank just decided s/he really really liked playing Roblox. I suck at multiplatforming myself, and it's not like I go back and hang out on Gaia or anything since joining SL. No accounting for what a person likes or chooses to do for fun and/or pizza money. And looking at their catalog now, they obviously very much enjoy Roblox. And are doing outstanding work to advance the design arts on that platform just like they did in SL.

6 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

I hope krank is making money, and having fun. I know how much work it can be, and how unrewarding it can be, too. But seeing they're still out there doing what they're best at is encouraging in so many ways.

yeah im thankful krankhaus is still out there creating even if its on another platform. originally when i first saw they retired sl and thier twitter got deleted, i thought they just left online presences completely. making a career out of your art is demanding, a constant hussle. some famous artists i follow took years even a decade before making art  came their full-time job. it takes a lot of determination to keep going even if rewards aren't the best, those who expect to be a overnight success wont make it far.

i loved roblox more as a child than i do now. i made a new roblox account about 2 years ago just as a mindless game i could play when i was doing phone surveys as a job temporarily. havent touched it really since i left that job.

Edited by Devilgrey
typo again bc i suck at typing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.