53 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Watching both Cabaret and Poor Things last night while eating entirely too many meatballs with peanut sauce. Hideous dreams! 🙈 why do I do this to myself? 

Haven't seen Poor Things yet (probably need to), but Cabaret is very nearly the only musical I really like. (I exaggerate for effect.)

I am still not sure about the decision to make Sally Bowles American, though. I get the appeal of Liza Minnelli, but it really changes her character a great deal.

Anyway, Isherwood's Goodbye to Berlin and Mr. Norris Changes Trains are occasional sort of "treat" reads for me, and are among the books I'll pick up when I feel I need to reward myself for something with a fun (not really, but you know) read.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Haven't seen Poor Things yet (probably need to), but Cabaret is very nearly the only musical I really like. (I exaggerate for effect.)

I am still not sure about the decision to make Sally Bowles American, though. I get the appeal of Liza Minnelli, but it really changes her character a great deal.

Anyway, Isherwood's Goodbye to Berlin and Mr. Norris Changes Trains are occasional sort of "treat" reads for me, and are among the books I'll pick up when I feel I need to reward myself for something with a fun (not really, but you know) read.

I like musical theatre and seeing different casts! I watched the 1993 Mendes production last night because I can’t seem to find a full video version feat. Dame Judi as Sally Bowles, just an isolated video of her singing ‘Don’t Tell Mama’. I have seen the Liza version movie and though I liked the staging a lot, I really prefer Alan Cumming as MOC and that production’s ending. I think the only American Sally I could have ever gotten behind was Eartha Kitt. I’ve watched snips from the 2 most recent stagings but meh, didn’t pull me in. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I have seen the Liza version movie and though I liked the staging a lot, I really prefer Alan Cumming as MOC and that production’s ending.

Oh! That would be interesting!

I do like Joel Grey as the MOC, though. He's beautifully ambiguous.

As for Judi Dench -- well, I'd go to see her in pretty much anything. I'll have to look around now for that production!

• Like 1

Peeve:

Looking through some art pages via Google, and I came across a photograph on Twitter of Picasso, Dali, Warhol, and Basquiat having a drink together at a pub. And my first thought was, wow! Cool!

15 seconds later, my second thought was . . . hang on. There's no way Basquiat was old enough to have gone out drinking with Picasso while the latter was still alive.

Sure enough, looking through the comments, the poster was getting called out for it, and finally admitted in a subsequent comment that, yeah, he'd neglected to mention that the photo was AI.

I am growing to hate AI so much. Or, more accurately I suppose, how it is being deployed by people.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

15 seconds later, my second thought was . . . hang on. There's no way Basquiat was old enough to have gone out drinking with Picasso while the latter was still alive.

I swear how can these AI claim to make art when they can barely even count? (And God knows they have more than enough fingers to count on!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve:

Looking through some art pages via Google, and I came across a photograph on Twitter of Picasso, Dali, Warhol, and Basquiat having a drink together at a pub. And my first thought was, wow! Cool!

Sure enough, looking through the comments, the poster was getting called out for it, and finally admitted in a subsequent comment that, yeah, he'd neglected to mention that the photo was AI.

I am growing to hate AI so much. Or, more accurately I suppose, how it is being deployed by people.

That sounds like some kind of awkward retelling of Midnight in Paris. 😂 Man, that movie was so fun. I don't think Warhol appeared in it, though.

Love the concept, but yeah. Basquiat would've been like...10? Likely younger, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I like musical theatre and seeing different casts! I watched the 1993 Mendes production last night because I can’t seem to find a full video version feat. Dame Judi as Sally Bowles, just an isolated video of her singing ‘Don’t Tell Mama’. 

Oh, that takes me back.  I rather bullied my art teacher and fellow student into seeing Judi's 'Cabaret' on a trip to London for the art galleries.  The alternative was some film, but I thought that could be seen any time, whereas we'd never see the live performance again.  And she was marvellous.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Watching both Cabaret and Poor Things last night while eating entirely too many meatballs with peanut sauce. Hideous dreams! 🙈 why do I do this to myself? 

I watched Poor Things recently. It's a very weird movie, but I liked it & didn't get nightmares. If you like sci-fi, fantasy, arty films, steampunk, and don't mild alot of sex, body horror and graphic operation-type scenes, then I recommend it. If you don't like sex or violence in movies, don't watch it. It's basically a Frankenstein-type story with strong feminist themes.

A somewhat similar Netflix series in that it's very weird, female-oriented, and full of body horror and cats is Brand New Cherry Flavor. 🍒 🐈  Again, not a series for everyone, but good if you like unusual stories.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I suspect you'd like Poor Things (Hulu) and Hamilton (Disney Channel).

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 6:09 PM, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Lol, peeve: Jezebel posting obvious clickbait on Twitter that made me want to click anyway despite knowing better. 😂

Additional peeve: The sudden realization that I'm going to have to see this movie.

image.png.991c8611cc94be147d58d1242354aaef.png

From my phone  it looked like he had a kind of captain hook kind of hand, with a guy on the end of the hand holding a sword.. hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Oh, that takes me back.  I rather bullied my art teacher and fellow student into seeing Judi's 'Cabaret' on a trip to London for the art galleries.  The alternative was some film, but I thought that could be seen any time, whereas we'd never see the live performance again.  And she was marvellous.

Oh lucky duck - that’s wonderful and I’m a little jelly! That’s a once in a lifetime experience 🕰️. I’m still looking for more footage but may have to settle for an audio recording meanwhile. 

Peeve: the Big Heat is on. 

• Like 2