What kind of land/parcel owner are you?

archangel969

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am not the kind of parcel/landowner who changes his land radically. I admire residents who often change their lands and designing a whole new world with a new theme. But I stick to the idea of a Dutch countryside and make it as good as I possibly can.
Although my 3 parcels are as Dutch estate in the photogenetic spot-section of SL destination guide, the porpose of designing this land was not to make it photogenetic, but to let it be a as accurate and real possible depiction of a Dutch country side. So I don't rez things on my land because they are photogenetic, but because they have a purpose in the whole scenery of a Dutch countryside.
I don't know if residents around here who have land, recognise this. But I love to dwell on my land regularly to see if all is well and if there is something to improve. Even if it's just moving a tree a few centimeters to make it look a tiny bit better.
So what kind of landowner are you? Do you stick by one idea or regarly design new worlds on your land? Do you often visit your land to see if things are well?

On the picture: left The Netherlands in RL, right Dutch estate in SL

Snapshot_20812027_003ad.png

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I can never stay with one theme, I get really bored very quickly, every now and then I try out a new theme, any theme you can think of I've tried it ( I think ), Traditional, Modern, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Cyber, Steampunk, Apocalypse, Under water, Dinosaurs, Mountains, Jungels, Caves, Deserts, Beach, Asian, Arabian, Western, African, mexican, and all four seasons, what else?
is there a theme I'm missnig? please suggest it for me; I would love to try it out!
Just the other day I was in the mood for my apocalyptic skybox so I rezzed it again ( I keep every theme I made in a box so whenever I feel like staying in it again I just one click rez it )
this one is a scavenger's home in an apocalyptic world, I like to give stories to my places even tho I don't role play:

collage(1).thumb.png.6db9251b442d25b228785bfa79ff3eb8.png

it has a lot more details than what is shown in the picture, so if anyone would like to visit, I would be happy to give you the LM in private, I don't like to add a link in here for diffrent reasons.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, SarahThe Wanderer said:

I can never stay with one theme, I get really bored very quickly, every now and then I try out a new theme, any theme you can think of I've tried it ( I think ), Traditional, Modern, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Cyber, Steampunk, Apocalypse, Under water, Dinosaurs, Mountains, Jungels, Caves, Deserts, Beach, Asian, Arabian, Western, African, mexican, and all four seasons, what else?
is there a theme I'm missnig? please suggest it for me; I would love to try it out!
Just the other day I was in the mood for my apocalyptic skybox so I rezzed it again ( I keep every theme I made in a box so whenever I feel like staying in it again I just one click rez it )
this one is a scavenger's home in an apocalyptic world, I like to give stories to my places even tho I don't role play:

collage(1).thumb.png.6db9251b442d25b228785bfa79ff3eb8.png

it has a lot more details than what is shown in the picture, so if anyone would like to visit, I would be happy to give you the LM in private, I don't like to add a link in here for diffrent reasons.

That looks fantastic! I love that creativity. Just because I choose to stick to one theme doesn't mean I don't admire fellow residents who come up with themes like a magic ball. I also like to travel to get ideas and it is precisely that creativity among many SL residents that I also encountered when I was still doing my interview series 'Second Life: our passion. For health reasons, I temporarily stopped doing that - as it is great to do, but can be exhausting. But anyway, I still travel across SL and indulge in all that creativity. And you mentioned storytelling, which, as a novelist (in RL), obviously appeals to me a lot! I also love it when designers incorporate stories. For instance, many rooms of villa Utrecht that I bought from Froukje Hoorenbeek (Dutchie), have lots of stories. Like the guest room that has a 'Holland-America line' theme. Friends stay there one night before saying goodbye and emigrating to America. That happened a lot in the netherlands after the second world war. Many families emigrated in search of a better future and might never see their friends again, especially at that time. Anyway, I would love to come and have a look at your land!

• Like 1

I am a bit of both. I have a corner of 4096 x 4096 that I have changed several times in 2 years. One of those times, I had a 454 Li house. 

I love that house so much, that I found and rented a 4096 Double prims, just so I can fill up outside with plants and inside with furniture without using only low Li items.

And now I can't change that, because I like it too much. So what to do when I wanted lots of pumpkins and autumn colors? I got a third place, that I use for autumn, then change to winter, and leave after Christmas.

At least I do not pay VAT when I'm renting. I am totally in love with SL houses and decor.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I am a bit of both. I have a corner of 4096 x 4096 that I have changed several times in 2 years. One of those times, I had a 454 Li house. 

I love that house so much, that I found and rented a 4096 Double prims, just so I can fill up outside with plants and inside with furniture without using only low Li items.

And now I can't change that, because I like it too much. So what to do when I wanted lots of pumpkins and autumn colors? I got a third place, that I use for autumn, then change to winter, and leave after Christmas.

At least I do not pay VAT when I'm renting. I am totally in love with SL houses and decor.

I can relate to that! You push your limits every time. First I only wanted land to buy my favourite house, then I bought the neighbouring parcels and started decorating it with a Dutch theme. I'm afraid it has to stop here because I do pay VAT and if I expand, SL does get very pricey. I do occasionally dream of more land where I can really do justice to the distant Dutch horizon of flat polder land, heathlands, a beautiful white beach with bathing houses, by the sea, sailing ships and little old villages with a church and a market square. Anyway, dreaming is free ;-).

• Like 1

I try to build suit my neighborhood. Let the parcels look like a complete sim even though we don't know each other.
Recently I built Satori Southern Railway (SSRY) White Line Train Station. I imitate the realistic Taiwanese/Japanese style train station and put a tram rezzer to make it work.

rlsl_train.thumb.jpg.a0bdec6cf6e0c0b96bf5e833b7dd79df.jpg

Snapshot_045.thumb.jpg.d66db81e2abd421ea8bc579190d820c5.jpg

Snapshot_042.thumb.jpg.546e76ed8a8097b5a38c8b659bc33ffa.jpg

Snapshot_044.thumb.jpg.3fcfc08bb47365f6c6033ad967e3bc79.jpg

Snapshot_046.thumb.jpg.5f944fb03a08af3c85ef5ee4961ac6ba.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, JSeesaw said:

I try to build suit my neighborhood. Let the parcels look like a complete sim even though we don't know each other.
Recently I built Satori Southern Railway (SSRY) White Line Train Station. I imitate the realistic Taiwanese/Japanese style train station and put a tram rezzer to make it work.

rlsl_train.thumb.jpg.a0bdec6cf6e0c0b96bf5e833b7dd79df.jpg

Snapshot_045.thumb.jpg.d66db81e2abd421ea8bc579190d820c5.jpg

Snapshot_042.thumb.jpg.546e76ed8a8097b5a38c8b659bc33ffa.jpg

Snapshot_044.thumb.jpg.3fcfc08bb47365f6c6033ad967e3bc79.jpg

Snapshot_046.thumb.jpg.5f944fb03a08af3c85ef5ee4961ac6ba.jpg

Many residents like to have their own place 'at home' in SL, in whatever way they can. This is a really original and fun way to do it. Very well done.

• Like 2

I have never yet owned a mainland parcel long enough for me to find out.  I have one now though, and I already changed my home on it, though that was solely because the house I originally picked was too small.  I do switch Linden Homes quite frequently though, except for one I had that was in a fabulous location, that I kept for nearly a year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I have never yet owned a mainland parcel long enough for me to find out.  I have one now though, and I already changed my home on it, though that was solely because the house I originally picked was too small.  I do switch Linden Homes quite frequently though, except for one I had that was in a fabulous location, that I kept for nearly a year.

Ah, Linden homes! I could have one too when I became a premium member. But I was so focused on buying my favourite house, which was actually the reason I became Premium, that I completely forgot about the whole Linden houses. And then I started Dutch estate. Most Linden houses are so totally different in atmosphere that I just let it go.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I spend my entire time out and about so only need somewhere for......cough...... privacy. I rent a TINY skybox, 784sqm. It's very cheap. Only about 215L per week i think. I can't remember exactly. Snapshot_003.thumb.png.d18d5e342d3bbebbaea06be8efcc57ce.png

That's a jolly good cozy skybox for all your private things! 😉

• Haha 1

I do not build in theme. I am on double prim Mainland, where it is "supposed" to be a modern theme.

But LL did not set it as a rule, more like a suggestion. It is a mix of styles around me. It is typical Mainland, where you use the home you want.

So I am not out of the theme as it is "now". I will say the minority is modern looking houses.

Double prims open allows for a more detailed home, even on a smaller part of land.

@archangel969, you have so many details and houses that uses high land impact. Do you have land with only low Li forest on, so you can consentrate your Li in some parts?

I think that is the downside of LL pricing of Mainland. The tier does not get reduced enough, the more land you buy. It is expensive to have enough land, so I can have freedom to decorate.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

@archangel969, you have so many details and houses that uses high land impact. Do you have land with only low Li forest on, so you can consentrate your Li in some parts?

The houses and environment are the most important, so I use as many prims for them as I possibly can. It is then a real sport to find objects for the area that look good but are low in prim. I keep a residual of 1020 prims on average for the three parcels (5449 prims) I have. I don't always manage that though, when I have a 'wild idea' :-).  I have to have a good amount of 'rest space' anyway because some animations use quite a lot of prims. But also some of those animations are too much fun to skimp on. So it's about constantly balancing with prims and making smart choices.

You mention the forest, which is a good example. On my borders, I place a 1 prim privacy screen with a forest as an image. (I started doing that when one of my neighbours suddenly put up a huge monstrously tall fence with garish colours and letters.) Just ahead of the privacy screen and sometimes 'woven' into it, I place a group of trees that are low in prim but look good and are three-dimensional like Enchanted woods by Skye. More towards the centre of my land I place some trees that are more complex in detail. With that combo, you stay low in prim, but you get a view that is more three-dimensional as if you only used privacy screens. I apply this rule from the border seen towards the centre: one-dimensional - simple three-dimensional - complex three-dimensional objects.

1939d32e2cf84811b43a20b80d14fd56.png

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 4

Another example of dealing with prims. Because I have a wetland/polderland, for a relatively small land (4096 m2) I do need some bridges. I have 12 in total: 4 over the canal around villa Utrecht and the rest in the polder. Then I have two bridges that are higher in prim and have nice animations, the rest are simpler but also nice to look at and are low in prim so that together I still end up relatively low in prim.

Note to the illustration: for the bridges over the canal, I did not include the railings and stairs.

Snapshot_20812027_002b.png

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 1

I do the same as you on my parcels, @archangel969. I am not having so much space, This is a 32 x 32 m parcel, so I use 2 privacy screens with just a little space between them, and set one to alpha masking and cutoff 120. I have room for only 2 trees and a bush, in addition to the wall. I wish I had more land.

728013010_AFhalloweenvillage_002.thumb.png.927ce12f2395cc4faa04bcc33ad76e15.png

But I hide the sci-fi building well. The panels with trees are only visible from my side.

971072866_AFhalloweenvillage_001.thumb.png.22a356a0c5ddd7be821e76ace7268fca.png

It is a full bright building a bit further down the street. Only derender works for that monster.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I do the same as you on my parcels, @archangel969. I am not having so much space, This is a 32 x 32 m parcel, so I use 2 privacy screens with just a little space between them, and set one to alpha masking and cutoff 120. I have room for only 2 trees and a bush, in addition to the wall. I wish I had more land.

728013010_AFhalloweenvillage_002.thumb.png.927ce12f2395cc4faa04bcc33ad76e15.png

But I hide the sci-fi building well. The panels with trees are only visible from my side.

It is a full bright building a bit further down the street. Only derender works for that monster.

And a great solution it is for that monster! What a beautiful and atmospheric place you have created, my compliment! The house I think I know. Is it Hardwick manor? That was one of the houses on my list to buy, before I set my eyes on villa Utrecht. I love the details and the ambience of it. But you've really made it something special.

Edited by archangel969

40 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

This prompted my switch to privacy screens about a year and a half ago. The fence is still there, but thankfully now in neutral colours. Still, I leave my privacy screens in place 🙂

Snapshot_2080905_001.png

Snapshot_2080905_004.png

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

And a great solution it is for that monster! What a beautiful and atmospheric place you have created, my compliment! The house I think I know. Is it Harwick manor? That was one of the houses on my list to buy, before I set my eyes on villa Utrecht. I love the details and the ambience of it. But you've really made it something special.

Thank you! It is that fall themed parcel I got now. It is two 32 x 32 m parcels next to each other. You have the building right. It is so high in Li, my options are big land with ordinary prims, or double prims.

I have to put something down everywhere it is open room for it. Small land with high Li work well for me. I get that overfilled look that I love. No "less is more" for me!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

In The Netherlands we have an official award for the most irritating TV ad, we call that 'The lead lion' after the tv advertising mascot, Loekie the lion. The most irritating advert then gets the lead lion and often the advertising agency that came up with it comes to collect it, very sporting indeed! Perhaps in SL we must make a contest for those who put up the most hideous monstrous and unavoidable objects to horrify their neighbours and force them to put up towering high screens to hide them.The big SL horizon pollution contest! 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have around 11k sqm in one mainland region, though it's not contigous. Half of it is a narrow strip of shoreline between protected Linden water and a Linden road. It's mostly water, and this is where I have my home. The rest is on a hillside on the other side of the region which is separated into separate parcels, two of which are rented out and the rest used by my club and Madison's alts.  There's no specific themes between parcels. 

I love this land and would never leave it but I am in the habit of tearing up my parcel around 2 or 3 times a year and completely re-doing it.  Sometimes I live on the shore, if I can find a house that's long from side to side and narrow from front to back. This week's 50L group deal from Trompe L'oeil is the Quentyn lodge which I've never considered before but it fits perfectly. The only catch is it's all open plan, upstairs and down. I'm not a fan of open plan and I tend to put divider walls everywhere, but this lodge doesn't seem to work well with them and there's no logical places to put them. So I may not keep using this house for long.

L22_033.thumb.jpg.224875571078dabf80ef788fcd243ae6.jpg

At other times, if I want a house that doesn't fit on the lakeshore, I go up into the sky but I'm not as keen on that. I like to feel connected with the rest of the grid, and I don't get that feeling in a skybox.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I have around 11k sqm in one mainland region, though it's not contigous. Half of it is a narrow strip of shoreline between protected Linden water and a Linden road. It's mostly water, and this is where I have my home. The rest is on a hillside on the other side of the region which is separated into separate parcels, two of which are rented out and the rest used by my club and Madison's alts.  There's no specific themes between parcels. 

I love this land and would never leave it but I am in the habit of tearing up my parcel around 2 or 3 times a year and completely re-doing it.  Sometimes I live on the shore, if I can find a house that's long from side to side and narrow from front to back. This week's 50L group deal from Trompe L'oeil is the Quentyn lodge which I've never considered before but it fits perfectly. The only catch is it's all open plan, upstairs and down. I'm not a fan of open plan and I tend to put divider walls everywhere, but this lodge doesn't seem to work well with them and there's no logical places to put them. So I may not keep using this house for long.

L22_033.thumb.jpg.224875571078dabf80ef788fcd243ae6.jpg

At other times, if I want a house that doesn't fit on the lakeshore, I go up into the sky but I'm not as keen on that. I like to feel connected with the rest of the grid, and I don't get that feeling in a skybox.

This looks like a really cool house to me, although I would never dream of buying that, but that's more because it simply doesn't fit anything in the concept of my land. But it is a house with an unusual shape and very atmospheric. Reminds me in the distance of F.L. Wright. I hope you get used to the fact that there are no partition walls. And if not, just find another cool house :-).

I don't have much inclination to live in the sky either. I also see too many weird and also rather ugly elements floating at a level where the neighbours can enjoy them. I recently read the lament on one of the forums here that if you want to live in the sky please do it at a neat height. Anyway, I can well imagine that feeling of keeping feeling with the grid on the ground.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.