What kind of land/parcel owner are you?

archangel969

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

30 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

This looks like a really cool house to me, although I would never dream of buying that, but that's more because it simply doesn't fit anything in the concept of my land.

I wouldn't normally have considered it either, not because it doesn't fit my land concept  (I can change that to fit the house) but because it's so open plan. But at L$ 50 instead of 650, its a bargain too good to pass up, and it has tons of space inside. As well as the usual living room, kitchen and bedroom, I have a bar area, a cosy reading nook, and I figured space for four bedroom "areas" for me and my alts.  I think it would look equally good as a forest cabin as well as a beach house. It's big though, 53m long, so definitely not for everyone, though it's narrow enough to fit on a 2048m parcel - but you won't get any garden besides the extensive patios.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, archangel969 said:

In The Netherlands we have an official award for the most irritating TV ad, we call that 'The lead lion' after the tv advertising mascot, Loekie the lion. The most irritating advert then gets the lead lion and often the advertising agency that came up with it comes to collect it, very sporting indeed! Perhaps in SL we must make a contest for those who put up the most hideous monstrous and unavoidable objects to horrify their neighbours and force them to put up towering high screens to hide them.The big SL horizon pollution contest! 😂

Hopefully, the SL contest would not be Lion-related!

• Haha 1

We have several places. I own a Linden home, one of the oldest ones and I love it. Partner has a houseboat which he is considering abandoning. He is the primary owner of our Thistle Cove,, a public place for rez'ing boats, having parties, just hanging out. I am the primary owner of Mowry Bay Village and Docks, our attempt to, if not recreate the historical Mowry Bay Yacht Club and Village (associated with East River Community), at least honor those places and keep the area available for visitors and sailors. I have changed the general look of the Cove a few times but have now decided it's about right so leaving it alone. Mowry gets a few changes, mostly landscaping and small details.  I also have a hidey hole place in the Snowlands where I go to be at peace. I don't make many changes there, either. I am not the sort to change things...at least not like my maternal grandmother who changed her furniture around with alarming frequency. As a rule, we try to fit whatever we are creating into the local environment...I like the look and feel of neighborhoods..doesn't matter if I know anyone nearby or not. I LOVE creating places in SL that make the two of us happy and some that exist so that we can share with others.

Edited by Cate Foulsbane
  • Like 2

It's really satisfying to work within the constraints of the environment and even the movement of the sunlight through that place to create a scene that is a dynamic and in harmony with the world around it. When this can be done with thoughtful intent in an aesthetic way it starts to really exceed the sum of its parts. It's not necessarily all about realism, but about sensitivity to and co-creation with the virtual world. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brightstar7777 said:

It's really satisfying to work within the constraints of the environment and even the movement of the sunlight through that place to create a scene that is a dynamic and in harmony with the world around it. When this can be done with thoughtful intent in an aesthetic way it starts to really exceed the sum of its parts. It's not necessarily all about realism, but about sensitivity to and co-creation with the virtual world. 

That is beautifully articulated and a great aspiration. That is something we as residents should all aspire.  Of course, it is also never realism in itself that I am aiming for. At least not realism for realism's sake. I work from the concept in which an image of Dutch outdoor life is depicted as realistically as possible. But it remains an imagination and I follow the 'laws' that are possible within SL. In this way, I want to offer residents an experience in which they can feel my imagination of Dutch outdoor life. For this, I use objects by Dutch designers where possible and where not I avoid objects that get in the way of the experience of this Dutch world. But all worlds within SL, whether it seems realistically or over the top alien, are a performance of the imagination of fellow residents. That alone is an amazing thing and I realise that when I travel in SL.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brightstar7777 said:

It's really satisfying to work within the constraints of the environment and even the movement of the sunlight through that place to create a scene that is a dynamic and in harmony with the world around it.

I experienced this very concretely yesterday. When I work on my land I use bright daylight, but when I just enjoy my land myself - and I do sometimes 🙂 - I always use the 'natural' cycle of day and night and just let myself be surprised. At that moment there was sunset, I was sitting on the veranda of the cottage by the water and I smelled the beautiful autumn evening I felt the wind rustling over the water and the trees. It was a truly magical experience, while being so simple. Well, of course I had to design Dutch estate for this first, but when you are just enjoing the result of it you nearly forget you designed it, it feels like is was always there.

• Like 3

I too, always work in bright daylight. I turn on different styles of light in pictures. I also try to remember, always turning on midnight to look at the light sources and edit them.

Lights are some of the things I need to adjust often. I have lived enough places with neighbor's using lights that shine up like a stadium floodlight, from a campfire, or even a lamp indoors.

• Like 1

This is the location I have a hard time giving up. No one can build to the South or West. I don't care if it is void sea, I almost never sail. To be protected from blocking views, is more important.

But this is ordinary prim land, not double prims. It is very hard to have buildings 300+ land impact and still get that "complete" look. I am also weary from having to use only low Li furniture and landscaping, as I had to in Linden homes.

Another angle of the Infinity pool.

Infinity Pool in Land's End

verna_022edsmall.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

This is the location I have a hard time giving up. No one can build to the South or West. I don't care if it is void sea, I almost never sail. To be protected from blocking views, is more important.

But this is ordinary prim land, not double prims. It is very hard to have buildings 300+ land impact and still get that "complete" look. I am also weary from having to use only low Li furniture and landscaping, as I had to in Linden homes.

Another angle of the Infinity pool.

Infinity Pool in Land's End

verna_022edsmall.jpg

That's really beautiful!

Quality first, that's my opinion too. But sometimes you are stuck with limits and have to make choices. I then make a combo between Low and High Li furniture and landscaping and make sure the high Li landscaping is more eye-catching and the low Li is more in the background.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 6:47 PM, archangel969 said:

I am not the kind of parcel/landowner who changes his land radically. I admire residents who often change their lands and designing a whole new world with a new theme. But I stick to the idea of a Dutch countryside and make it as good as I possibly can.
Although my 3 parcels are as Dutch estate in the photogenetic spot-section of SL destination guide, the porpose of designing this land was not to make it photogenetic, but to let it be a as accurate and real possible depiction of a Dutch country side. So I don't rez things on my land because they are photogenetic, but because they have a purpose in the whole scenery of a Dutch countryside.
I don't know if residents around here who have land, recognise this. But I love to dwell on my land regularly to see if all is well and if there is something to improve. Even if it's just moving a tree a few centimeters to make it look a tiny bit better.
So what kind of landowner are you? Do you stick by one idea or regarly design new worlds on your land? Do you often visit your land to see if things are well?

On the picture: left The Netherlands in RL, right Dutch estate in SL

Snapshot_20812027_003ad.png

I have land all over as you know, and certain areas, I do not want anything to EVER be changed, not a thing, not a leaf, not a prim. But a build like Ravenglass Hall, built in 2004, develops "prim drift" and needs fixing, but the builder didn't turn it over to me. Yet I can't tear it down. I want it to be exactly the same, for ever and ever Amen.

On the other hand, with other old builds I never wanted to change, all of a sudden, one day the planar trees on it drove me crazy and they all came down. Or a tenant finally forces me to optimize the sim and I remove all these ridiculous 15-prim reed sets I've had out for 17 years. Etc.

Other areas, I change constantly. It's absolutely crazy to be wedded to a build for which I paid $10,000 L in 2004 and 2005 that has little relevance today to people who think everything that is not mesh is ugly. Yet I'm used to it, and even if I only paid US $40, I still don't want to tear it down and I try to optimize it.

But in other areas it's great to keep cleaning the slate. I recently started re-texturing and optimizing a prim and sculpty build I have that should have been cleared out 10 years ago, what was I thinking! Yeesh, I should have either left it alone or wiped the entire thing out and started afresh. 

I still find some of the most creative builds, especially in the elf/fantasy realm, to be made of prims and sculpties, which I think portrays Nature better and has the advantage of being able to expand without adding land impact. It's rare that a mesh build inspires in me the same awe I experienced with early prim builds. Sure, Fantasy Faire builds, all of mesh pretty much, are utterly awesome, but I mean the builds you live with every day. Mesh ends up annoying me more than not with the difficulty in editing, expanding or texturing.

• Like 3

On 10/16/2022 at 7:16 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

I have land all over as you know, and certain areas, I do not want anything to EVER be changed, not a thing, not a leaf, not a prim. But a build like Ravenglass Hall, built in 2004, develops "prim drift" and needs fixing, but the builder didn't turn it over to me. Yet I can't tear it down. I want it to be exactly the same, for ever and ever Amen.

On the other hand, with other old builds I never wanted to change, all of a sudden, one day the planar trees on it drove me crazy and they all came down. Or a tenant finally forces me to optimize the sim and I remove all these ridiculous 15-prim reed sets I've had out for 17 years. Etc.

Other areas, I change constantly. It's absolutely crazy to be wedded to a build for which I paid $10,000 L in 2004 and 2005 that has little relevance today to people who think everything that is not mesh is ugly. Yet I'm used to it, and even if I only paid US $40, I still don't want to tear it down and I try to optimize it.

But in other areas it's great to keep cleaning the slate. I recently started re-texturing and optimizing a prim and sculpty build I have that should have been cleared out 10 years ago, what was I thinking! Yeesh, I should have either left it alone or wiped the entire thing out and started afresh. 

I still find some of the most creative builds, especially in the elf/fantasy realm, to be made of prims and sculpties, which I think portrays Nature better and has the advantage of being able to expand without adding land impact. It's rare that a mesh build inspires in me the same awe I experienced with early prim builds. Sure, Fantasy Faire builds, all of mesh pretty much, are utterly awesome, but I mean the builds you live with every day. Mesh ends up annoying me more than not with the difficulty in editing, expanding or texturing.

For me, it is not very important whether an object is mesh or not. Something is made with care and skill or not. And I certainly wouldn't argue that all that is 'not mesh' would be ugly. I have seen too many non-mesh creations that I love and admire, such as the SL version of Fallingwater. Mesh is just a method of designing 3D objects, no more and no less. I have not yet ventured into 3D design myself. Or actually I have, I downloaded that programme, Blender and the only thing I got in 3D after working with it for hours was migraine. Maybe, someday, I'll give it another try! I do understand that mesh designs are trickier to edit yourself. It's like the old-fashioned cars: in the old days, if you were handy, you could get under a car and tinker with it yourself if something was broken. With cars nowadays, because of all those computer-controlled electronics, this is no longer possible. I also love it when there are still parts in SL where you can clearly see the history, where designs from years ago can still be seen. The technology may be dated for many people, but the design and the idea behind it often are not.

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 3

On 10/16/2022 at 6:16 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

I so much wanted to upgrade the builds on Chiaroscuro, after Greville passed. So much of the region was filled with stuff that was up to 15 years old, and it showed, and it was frankly a bit embarrassing to new visitors. One thing in particular was a lovely old theatre in a skybox that had suffered some significant prim drift. I had building and mod rights on Grev's objects but it was a complex undertaking to put it all back how it should be, and I never completed it. But we were on borrowed time and knew the region would be deleted sooner or later as it wasn't being paid for. We ended up getting a few months more time than we anticipated, but in the end, we knew it would be gone, and now it is.

I agree with the elven and fantasy type builds. There's so much lovely old prim-built stuff out there. Chiaroscuro had the Swan Hall made by Aeris Shenlin, goodness knows how long ago; some time between sculpts and mesh. Over 500 LI but it's beautiful, and I made it my home for a while. I can definitely understand why some people like to hang on to older builds. Sometimes there's sentimental value, and sometimes there's just nothing else like it. And Chiaroscuro had both.

• Like 3

Interesting topic!

I own a 2048 mainland plot that I have had for a very, very long time. I typically keep land for ages. BUT I change the build and landscaping almost every 2 months. It's what I like to do! Decorate...landscape. 

I also have a little linden home in Belliseria that someone "gave" me. I'm squatting. I love it but I don't love being restricted to only 5 choices of homes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2022 at 7:16 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

Regarding mesh vs scupt or previous methods of 3D design. I had times a beautiful oak tree made using mesh method, very detailed up close. However, when you zoom out far, the crown of leaves turns into one smudge. Now, there are trees I bought that were designed using the sculpt method and don't have that. Those are both beautiful up close and do not change when you zoom out. By the way, this does not apply to all mesh designs just to be clear! I think different methods of design have their advantages and disadvantages.

6 hours ago, archangel969 said:

Regarding mesh vs scupt or previous methods of 3D design. I had times a beautiful oak tree made using mesh method, very detailed up close. However, when you zoom out far, the crown of leaves turns into one smudge. Now, there are trees I bought that were designed using the sculpt method and don't have that. Those are both beautiful up close and do not change when you zoom out. By the way, this does not apply to all mesh designs just to be clear! I think different methods of design have their advantages and disadvantages.

Mesh is no guarantee for quality. I am still using some 3D trees from Nadine Reverie. But I have found out that zooming out far can not be deciding everything. Sometimes I accept mesh that loose quality over a long distance, because how often do I zoom out so far?

By the way... are you considering a Homestead? LL will open for that Premium Plus can buy a homestead without buing a region first. It will happen in just days, early next month.

Maybe 5000 Land impact is not enough?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Mesh is no guarantee for quality. I am still using some 3D trees from Nadine Reverie. But I have found out that zooming out far can not be deciding everything. Sometimes I accept mesh that loose quality over a long distance, because how often do I zoom out so far?

Yes, when I mentioned those sculpt trees, I meant Nadine Reverie's :-). I also have the hedges from her. The old olive tree is also really fantastic.

In itself, it doesn't have to matter if a mesh object loses quality when you zoom out, but if you have a flat land like me (the Netherlands have no mountains 🙂 ), you also have distant views and then the loss of quality of some mesh objects does stand out.

Edited by archangel969

It depends on my build. If it's for The Nature Collective then I tend to change it up with the seasons. If it's my other projects, they tend to stay the same with minor changes here and there. Same with my home builds. I wish I could be more like others who can design entire sims every other month but I alas, I don't think that will ever be me. I like the continuity. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Emmalee Evergarden said:

It depends on my build. If it's for The Nature Collective then I tend to change it up with the seasons. If it's my other projects, they tend to stay the same with minor changes here and there. Same with my home builds. I wish I could be more like others who can design entire sims every other month but I alas, I don't think that will ever be me. I like the continuity. 

Continuity is also very important to me personally when I furnish my own sim. I want to feel like I really live there. So much is changing around me and that is nice and good. But then, having a place where you feel at home is especially important. For instance, if you go to that great-aunt or grandmother who bakes the most delicious apple pie in the whole world, you want that very apple pie every time. And don't grumble about others. That's how I see it. As a place where you can feel at home amidst the chaos and cacophony of the world around you. I also try to furnish the houses in such a way that you get the idea that they are actually lived in rather than being 'décor'. Changes do happen sometimes. For instance, I recently swapped the waterfront cottage and the old mill, something that won't happen so easily in RL 🙂 . And I keep to the seasons and holidays. I'm really very happy and admire residents who change their sim every month, that's a quality in itself, just as it's a quality to keep continuity and create a place where one can feel at home and where you know what it's like, but which can still reveal a new secret every time. Just like that old farmhouse you always visit can still surprise you every time, no matter how familiar it is.

So maintaining continuity (but improving your sim every time within these limits) is a quality in itself. This is especially true in SL, where change is precisely the rule and continuity a rarity.

Edited by archangel969

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.