CNN Metaverse Report w/Philip Rosedale, Neal Stephenson

EnCore Mayne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

People are going to have to stop being such babies about Lindens wearing user created items. 

it's always been an issue,  people really need to get over the hangup,  Lindens themselves do use the platform,  I guess people expect them to run around naked all the time and have zero fashion or likes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

it's always been an issue,  people really need to get over the hangup,  Lindens themselves do use the platform,  I guess people expect them to run around naked all the time and have zero fashion or likes. 

I mean, the absolute temper tantrum that was thrown when the mesh body tutorial videos started. I cannot imagine.

If you're not willing to run around in nothing but Mole-made (no offense, Moles. we love the landscaping.) and a system body, by no means should Philip Rosedale go on CNN without a stitch of mesh on.

(Petition for Strawberry Linden to hold Philip down and shove him in a new mesh makeover going live this afternoon.)

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

so this reply is not direct at you, but the generalization that the younger generation has zero ideas about products such as this and only want the bling bling and the fancy related items,  when in a normal say my generations ideas, we like what we see, we like how it works,  we do not fix it if it's not broken and SL is not broken.  So go ahead try and create what SL has, it wont happen,  tools like unity give false hopes and false narratives when it comes to virtual worlds like SL,  SL is not a game and is not static content, Unity based are just that, static, boring, not fresh nor realistic for audiences.   but again I was told take it with us.   fine.  

And yet there's at least one fairly well established virtual world which uses Unity as its engine.

To claim that there can be absolutely no comparison between virtual worlds and modern game engines and that somehow SL, just because it's a virtual world, has reached the pinnacle of what it should be capable of delivering in terms of quality of content is just silly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

And yet there's at least one fairly well established virtual world which uses Unity as its engine.

To claim that there can be absolutely no comparison between virtual worlds and modern game engines and that somehow SL, just because it's a virtual world, has reached the pinnacle of what it should be capable of delivering in terms of quality of content is just silly.

SL does not need a modern graphics engine overhaul,  we are fine where we are at with that today, I've seen amazing builds at the level of what unity has,  we do not need unity nor any of it's backend or building tools,  few more supported mesh implementations and some languages besides LSL, would go father then burning all the bridges and forcing unity on everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I will add SL is the only virtual world that I am willing to ever be in, I've tried others from their beta offerings,  but this, this world right here, where I have real friends, where I have people whom I can call family, a place where I can come be me at, a place that exists because of people like philip and their dreams,  a place I call home,  I'm not willing to ever lose the place I call home. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

SL does not need a modern graphics engine overhaul,  we are fine where we are at with that today

Like it or not, LL seem to disagree since they're currently working on adding things like reflection probes and updating their support for PBR materials so that SL is more in-line with industry standards like those used in Unity, etc.

13 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I've seen amazing builds at the level of what unity has,  we do not need unity nor any of it's backend or building tools,  few more supported mesh implementations and some languages besides LSL, would go father then burning all the bridges and forcing unity on everyone.

What on earth makes you think I'm advocating for LL to swap to using Unity?  I'm talking about them adopting some of the industry standards (like PBR materials and reflection probes) and implementing similar systems in SL so that some of those amazing builds that exist can be made even more amazing.

I don't know why the mere mention of Unity causes people to jump to such extreme conclusions but it seems like everytime somebody brings up the subject of industry standard features present in other engines but absent in SL, the instant assumption is that they're claiming that ALL the latest features of modern game engines should be possible in SL.

As I said, whether you like it or not LL are already trying to update the platform to include features that these other game engines have had for years, so however laughable you think the idea of including more advanced graphical features may be, they're currently hard at work proving you wrong!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Like it or not, LL seem to disagree since they're currently working on adding things like reflection probes and updating their support for PBR materials so that SL is more in-line with industry standards like those used in Unity, etc.

What on earth makes you think I'm advocating for LL to swap to using Unity?  I'm talking about them adopting some of the industry standards (like PBR materials and reflection probes) and implementing similar systems in SL so that some of those amazing builds that exist can be made even more amazing.

I don't know why the mere mention of Unity causes people to jump to such extreme conclusions but it seems like everytime somebody brings up the subject of industry standard features present in other engines but absent in SL, the instant assumption is that they're claiming that ALL the latest features of modern game engines should be possible in SL.

As I said, whether you like it or not LL are already trying to update the platform to include features that these other game engines have had for years, so however laughable you think the idea of including more advanced graphical features may be, they're currently hard at work proving you wrong!

yeah, it's fine how it is and can stay how it is.  not every one is here for the fancy pretty junk.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

yeah, it's fine how it is and can stay how it is.  not every one is here for the fancy pretty junk.

You're absolutely right, not everyone is here for the same reasons and none of us has any more right than any other to be here or to try and dictate what direction the platform takes purely because that's what conforms to their own personal preferences.

We should all be invested in LL making improvements to SL because without them it will one day disappear and then none of us will be here at all!

• Like 2

Sorry if I have ruffled any feathers in here, I'm just passionate about SL and I get knee jerk reactions when people come in and talk about unity and this and that.   I guess those people miss sansar,  while it sounded good on paper, it never got to where it needed to be,  basically an SL 2.0 with full interopt with 1.0,  so if LL ever decides for a 2.0 again,  I might support it,  IF it's fully compatiable in all ways with what we have now and it locks nobody out from being here with us,  I know there are some users that drag tooth and nail holding onto old hardware and those people have to be included in this too, we are starting to see those locked out because of certain upgrades to the platform.  I know a few of them personally they are bed bound and have no interactions with the outside world and this is how they live, we take it away from them, we lose them too.

okay I'm done being on my soap box. 

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Sorry if I have ruffled any feathers in here, I'm just passionate about SL and I get knee jerk reactions when people come in and talk about unity and this and that.   I guess those people miss sansar,  while it sounded good on paper, it never got to where it needed to be,  basically an SL 2.0 with full interopt with 1.0,  so if LL ever decides for a 2.0 again,  I might support it,  IF it's fully compatiable in all ways with what we have now and it locks nobody out from being here with us,  I know there are some users that drag tooth and nail holding onto old hardware and those people have to be included in this too, we are starting to see those locked out because of certain upgrades to the platform.  I know a few of them personally they are bed bound and have no interactions with the outside world and this is how they live, we take it away from them, we lose them too.

If it's any consolation my feathers don't feel all that ruffled and I apologise if my own responses have been a little blunt, I can sometimes have similar knee jerk reactions when I see seemingly reasonable questions/suggestions being shut down just for making a passing reference to Unity or Unreal Engine.

I get that we've all heard some really outlandish claims and opinions over the years on the subject of what SL should be capable of but, given how sparse original topics of conversation and perspectives can be around here sometimes, I think it's at least worth considering each post on it's own merit rather than immediately jumping to the conclusion that anyone who brings up comparisons with other graphics engines is automatically wrong. 

I can't say I personally miss Sansar since you can't miss a thing you never tried and I never bothered going there (as much as VR technology has advanced in recent years it's still not really at the stage where it will be adopted en masse by the general public and so far nothing released in VR has been compelling enough to change my mind about investing in the necessary hardware).  As I recently mentioned in a different thread I'm not exactly running a high-end gaming PC myself and even if I were it wouldn't change my opinion that LL should try and accommodate all it's users if at all possible but the reality is that SL as a platform won't survive if its user base continues to shrink and while losing existing users is certainly not a desirable outcome, failing to attract new users will be equally catastrophic eventually.

Anyway (just to try and steer things back in the direction of the threads topic), the current crop of new "metaverses" may seem clunky and unappealing at the moment but if the development of some of these platforms continues at its current pace it won't be long before we begin to see more impressive offerings.  That may not seem like a big deal to SLs more dedicated users who, much like myself, intend to be here until they turn out the last local light but I'm guessing LL would like to take advantage of the current hype surrounding virtual worlds before the competition gets too stiff and that means keeping the platform at least somewhat up to date with some of the competing platforms that are starting to emerge.

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

SL still looks like the most viable one.. no cyclops helmet, no Dune stillsuit and no trip to Dubai required. Just laptop, credit card and boom... you're flyin with a lion...

Very true! Although I have to admit, the facial expression and body movement puppeting looked super cool. If only you didn't have to wear so much RL crap to make it work...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Very true! Although I have to admit, the facial expression and body movement puppeting looked super cool. If only you didn't have to wear so much RL crap to make it work...

You don't. There are visual trackers that use 3D cameras, such as the old Microsoft Kinect. If you want to see what's going on with tracking hardware, see The Virtual Reality Show on Youtube, where Phia demos and reviews VR gear.

At the puppeteering meetings (see the SL calendar), someone with full body tracking and a good microphone dominates the meeting without even trying. Puppeteering is not for everyone. It's for people who want an audience. I'm looking forward to someone producing stage plays in SL.

On 9/29/2022 at 5:49 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

On 9/29/2022 at 8:19 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Nobody is ever locked out of SL. Why don't we all pitch in and get them new laptops so they can continue to enjoy what they enjoy? There are many ways around those kinds of problems.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, animats said:

If you want to see what's going on with tracking hardware, see The Virtual Reality Show on Youtube, where Phia demos and reviews VR gear.

I have, and she's got some cool videos of some cool stuff. But while she doesn't have a phone on a stalk in front of her face, she still has to wear way too much junk to be "in" VR.

Until full body tracking and haptic feedback is as simple as sitting down to the keyboard is now, it'll never take off.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

she still has to wear way too much junk to be "in" VR.

Oh, did you watch the episode where Phia visited the Consumer Electronics Show and tried all the latest VR gear? The force-feedback gloves? The full body suit? The giant wide-screen headset? Most of that stuff is for military training, not recreation.

You know the scene in Ready Player One where they strap in on an omnidirectional treadmill? All that gear is real. See Phia's treadmill episode.

But don't panic. Head and upper body tracking with camera only is quite practical, and good enough for most SL purposes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I once got a warning for calling her out on it,  so I just now go with it's complicated lol.

That's kinda ridiculous. There should be a way where blocking someone also blocks reactions because her behavior is rather annoying and childish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.