Airplanes learning to fly

brodiac90

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all, 

I've always been interested in avation but have never known how to get involved. I'm looking for advice on where to start. Perhaps people could share their experiences? I suppose the problem I have is that I don't know what I don't know lol. 

How did you get involved with flying planes in SL? What do you find enjoyable about it? 

What planes are there? Which ones would you recommend? I think I'd like to find one that is realistic with all the checks and procedurs. 

What groups are there? Where do people fly to? I have all the questions! 

• Like 2

There are very few realistic planes in SL, especially ones where you have to go through extensive checklists. The other problem is region crossings; flying across them in a fast aircraft is very apt to lead to rubber-banding at the least, a viewer crash at the worst.

The best way to get involved in realistic aviation (aside from actually going to your local airport and signing up for lessons) is with a computer flight simulator. There are three very good ones widely available:

• Microsoft Flight Simulator X, also known as FSX. This is an older software, but still works very well.
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, often simply abbreviated MSFS. This one is spectacular for its accurate reproduction of real world scenery, weather, and traffic. It's probably the most-used flight sim at this time.
  • X Plane 11. This one is of the same vintage as FSX. Many people think it's better. It is certainly much more customizable, and there are huge libraries of both free and paid add-on content. A major update, X Plane 12, is due out very soon and is already available to beta testers.
  • There's also DCS World, which is very realistic, but is oriented exclusively toward military sims...not only airplanes, but ships and tanks. The others have military aircraft, but are not at all focused on combat.

With any of these, you'll have a better time if you invest in some peripherals...a flight yoke or stick, a throttle, some rudder pedals, a headset. You may also want to try VR with them for almost total immersion. The cost to get into this hobby varies a lot, but you should be able to get an adequate set of peripherals and the software itself for about $300. You can go much higher of course...multiple large monitors, or a VR rig and RTX 3090 graphics card could quickly run you up well over $1,000.

They're as realistic as you want...including add on apps for flight planning, content for various real world airports, many different aircraft, and air traffic control communications (either with the computer, or with a network of fellow players.) Because they're so realistic, they also offer "learn to fly" courses that take you through a gradual process of increasing levels of challenge, just like a real life flight school.

All this is not to say you can't have fun in the air in SL. It's best to choose a slow aircraft...a helicopter, a sailplane, an ultralight. I like seaplanes too, because your "runway length" is darn near unlimited. Go hang out at the Hollywood Airport for a while...it features many of SL's popular aircraft, and you can meet and talk with different pilots. If you wanna dogfight, take some friends and go to Warbug HQ. They have cute little planes that look like they came from an amusement park ride that are fun to tear around the sky with. Just don't try to cross sim boundaries with 'em, they won't like that at all.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 4

FWIW, I have enjoyed flying helicopters in SL after pretty much giving up on planes. Because they can fly slow and are very maneuverable, helicopters can avoid many of the problems that planes have. I have several different brands that I cannot recall right now. Most have simplified controls. One has very realistic controls, to the level of detail of having to manipulate the choke just right to get the engine to start. I never mastered it well enough to enjoy flying it.

• Like 2

Agree with all the above. I used to be a bit of a flight sim buff, flight/mission planning etc. (but not in SL). Trying to get realistic in SL is simply not going to happen. I tried flying here for a while. See it for what it is - a bit of unrealistic and unreliable fun and as mentioned, helicopters or something slower is probably more fun in SL than an F-16.

Going down the PC-based flight sim rabbit hole can get costly!

(I used to compete with a guy, three decades ago, on combat sims and we actually learned to fly (real) light aircraft together. He had money, I didn't so much - he bought a share in a plane and I helped him through all his training with physics and maths etc.. He's now flying around somewhere as a captain for some airline or other. I'm stuck here typing messages into a forum. Hmm. It helps if I just think of him as a bus driver, lol.)

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tis true, Second Life does not support an accurate simulation of real life aviation, however, it does provide a fun and rewarding activity. There is a reason there are SO MANY airports and runways in Second Life. Most important... there is a vibrant aviation community. Here is an exerpt from the notecard given out by the Skyward Flying Club.

Aviation is very popular in Second Life. There are thousands of regions to traverse and numerous airports in all shapes and sizes. Look here http://shergoodaviation.com/radar.php to get a sense of what's out there.

A wide variety of aircraft are available: large to small to tiny, military to civilian, old-timey to ultra-modern, cargo to acrobatic, glider to powered, fixed-wing to helicopter. Except for speed limitations, aircraft in Second Life provide a mostly accurate and enjoyable simulation.

To keep up with events in SL aviation, join the SL Aviation group: secondlife:///app/group/9cc7debb-0031-5b6a-fb39-a3cc41e60755/about

To partipate in weekly group flights (followed by dancing parties), join the  Skyward Flying Club group: secondlife:///app/group/0bad58c1-81c1-a98e-6cf6-158aee539fb7/about

If a HUD-based game of moving air cargo between hubs interests you,  join  the Get The FREIGHT Out! (GTFO!) group:  secondlife:///app/group/0de2c89b-6213-91e0-c0a5-6936fd1201e6/about

Various airports and aircraft creators have aircraft rez zones, additional groups you can join and aircraft to purchase.

If you ask questions in an aviation group, you will get friendly and helpful replies.

sl19b exhibit_004.jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 4

I got into planes because I would see them being flown around by others or parked at airports and thought I wouldn't mind having a go at flying one of those.  So I started with a freebie and went from there.  As others have said, flying a plane (or any other flying vehicle) can be rewarding and I find it so.  There is still some skill at becoming a proficient flyer but I like that it isn't very realistic, it keeps it accessible to anyone and makes casual flying more enjoyable.  It's a great way to travel in SL and so much better these days than it ever was due to the vast areas of flyable regions available.

I like it that much I even made my own tiny airstrip which is open to the public.  You can find it on my profile picks.

• Like 2

Flying in SL is a long hobby of mine best way to get into it is by getting a plane and flying you can get a awesome free MD500 at Hollywood airport this LM should take you to right to the vender for it

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Santa Catalina/240/131/23

as far as airports and gacha locations (places that will end your flight due to unfriendly Orbs etc. there is a comprehensive map here

http://shergoodaviation.com/radar.php?t=air

My advice is just stay over Linden owned waterways and your golden some areas like the Blake Sea / United sailing sims request you fly 100 meters above water generally i fly at 300 meters to not annoy people on the ground. there is nothing worse than being buzzed by a low flying airplane

Edited by Vanessa Amethyst
  • Like 4

sorry for the double post but forgot to link another place to meet aviation minded people and grab a couple packs of free planes (scripts on these can be "meh" but they are good for a start) The people here are super friendly and helpful  I can be found here on occasion

Unity/Pirate Air

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fedoseev/217/38/250

for fun the commandments for Second life runways

Now its time for the runway commandments

• I. Thou Shalt useith the runway designated for Landings to land and the Runway Designated to take off, least Thou name beith like the excrement of a thousand cattle to the one thou ramith.
  • II. Honor the rules of the airport you are visiting and, keep them holy for thy admins who’s names are Angry will revokeith thy privilege to useith the airport.  if thou rules say no  jets because they are unclean than, thine Jet you shalt not land  nor land  whilst flying the colors of thine airline landith at a General Traffic only airport.
  • III.Honor your Neighbors time,  Thine Runway is not a place for role play if thou enterith the runway thou shalt Exit it as quickly as possible Thow shalt requestith Permission to tekeith off before entering the runway. least you Skinkith to thine neighbor like the Cheese of Limburger. Likewise thou shalt not Bitchith if thine Admin yells nor if thin Neighbor tellith you to get thine lead out.
Edited by Vanessa Amethyst
  • Like 1

My first and last attempt at flying a plane in SL was way back in 2010. My then-landlady loaned me her seaplane.

100604_005s.png.d34319b1fc1b7ed29ad6135acbe1ff2d.png

So I flew it around the lake a bit, and all went well until a moment of lag on a region crossing. When reality kicked back in, I was trapped under this bridge.

2583dc50f8a1b3cd5984d678a55b5482.thumb.jpg.9b8406a6198772387416bced1c4c94da.jpg

Somehow, the wings had passed through the first row of pillars but stuck against the second row. Since I didn't have edit permission on my landlady's objects, I was forced to leave it stuck there under the bridge. Presumably auto-return sorted it out.

I'm surprised to see the plane is still available. I'm tempted to buy it, and have another go...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Birdy-Sky-II-Hydro-seaplane/262219

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Flying in SL is fun, but not particularly realistic. Having experienced flying a plane on a simulator with VR goggles and joystick there simply is no comparison with SL. The Simulator experience is closer to RL than it is to SL. That being said SL flight is what it is and what it is is fun if you enjoy it. I haven't tried it in SL in years but it was fun. Maybe I will get a plane and try it again sometime.

• Like 1

Ok, shameless plug. I made a handful of vintage WW planes and 2 Soviet helicopters. Search my name on MP or go to Santa Catalina (Hollywood Airport) in SL and find CLSA Aviation. I sell them dirt cheap. Heck, if you poke me inworld, tell me a good joke and i'll give you one for free ;)

Edit: Lol, i just seen this is a 5 month old thread that just got pushed. Sorry :)

Edited by CaithLynnSayes
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Edit: Lol, i just seen this is a 5 month old thread that just got pushed. Sorry :)

I've seen worse ;)

Besides, I took a look. If I ever get the flying bug again I'll try that sleek aluminium job that's on the runway; the Recruit was it? Looks right up my street that one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.