SPINOFF from The all-in-one Home Furnishings Topic!

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got a bit carried away in the The all-in-one Home Furnishings Topic! .

I found out that I could link a lamp and a nightstand, and lower the Li from 6 to 3. This by resizing the lamp and nightstand a bit, link them and set physics to "None" and then "Prim" or "Convex Hull" again.

This feels like magic. I think, that some objects is set to a very high physics. A lamp with physics 3.4 has a very high physic. I have seen walkable platforms with a physic of 0.8.

The high physics of the lamp is what decides the Land Impact is so high. 

The lamp itself can go from 3 Li to 1 Li with a simple editing trick.

The lamp is 2 parts. The lamp, and an invisible cube that you can see by zooming up under the shade and select ctrl+alt+T.

The root prim is the lamp itself. You can see that the cube is outlined in blue, and the lamp in yellow. Yellow is always the root prim. As long as the lamp is the root prim, I can click "None" on physics again and again, and nothing will happen. But unlink the cube and lamp, and link it again, so the cube is the root prim. Select "None" again, and then "Prim" and the Land Impact drops to 1.

Magic.

Now the lamp has no physics. The small cube inside has it, but probably not enought to stop you from walking through it. But place the lamp on a table, and the table stop you.

lamp2collage.jpg

lampcollage.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 10

The nightstand has a high land impact of 3 on itself. It is a complicated part of furniture, it is 3 separate parts. I tried linking off the shadow, it did not help the land impact.

Both the lamp and the nightstand are very big in their default size. Their download numbers are high. Linking the lamp and nightstand will not help very much on the land impact, unless the lamp is sized down a bit.

You see my avatar standing between the default size, and the lamp and nightstand reduced to 1,5 m. Linking the smaller sized ones to each other, and select "None" and "Prim", or "Convex Hull" and the combined Land Impact of the lamp and nightstand is 3 Li.

Because this particular nightstand is complicated, better made nightstands with fewer parts can give you lower Li than 3, if you link the lamp to one of them. All the three combinations of nightstands and lamp are only 2 Li each.

sere_002.jpg

sere_003.jpg

sere_012.jpg

sere_008.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6

25 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

I love how you snuck in a bikini shot.

Will play around with stuffs in my linden home later and see how much Li I can save this way.

Ha yes, that picture is from yesterday. I am hanging around the pool all day, I did not bother getting dressed. I found out that I had to find a pair of pants today.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kaylee Romano said:

Be careful linking some items with scrips in things like lamps. When linking items you can mess up the scripts then the scripted items won’t work. 

Yes, that is true. One can select the light bulb, that is often one texture or one prim on its own, and set it to light itself. It is no electricity bills in SL, so personally I do not care about on/off scripts. What we absolutely should not link, is parts with animations in them. It is worse to have a chair one can't sit in, than a lamp with permanent light.

It was a lot of Li to save on these lamps. 4 Li if we will use 2 of them standing alone. 6 Li if we link it to the complicated nightstand. We're talking about saving enough for one piece of low li furniture, or several decorative Apple Fall items.

• Like 4

In these lamps, the script is still working as it should, after linking.

I copy how I edited the script, from another thread.

The light was too strong, had a big radius and was cold, white.

Since the script inside is modify, it can be edited to a more soft light, if one wish to have the realism of turning the lamp on and off.

The original light is set to plain white light, and default strength and radius 5 m. Falloff is not so important here. By changing the numbers from

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, on, <1.000000, 1.000000, 1.000000>, 1.000000, 5.000000, 0.750000

to

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, on, <1.000000, 1.000000, 1.000000>, 0.200000, 2.000000, 0.750000

the strength is reduced to 0.2 and the radius to 2 m. 

To take it further, one can set the light color to something more soft, like a beige tone.

The numbers for the color I picked are RGB 235,230,220:

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, on, <235.000000, 230.000000, 220.000000>, 0.200000, 2.000000, 0.750000

Remember to "save" before you close the script.

rgb.jpg

rgbcollage.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

These chairs was in the furniture thread. They are pretty. Inspecting them, they have an upload of 10. That is very high for a Linden Home. Two chairs is using up 20 Li of our precious 371 Li. Unacceptable.

When the upload is 10, it is nothing to do. I have never managed to do something to get that number down, besides linking off things like a shadow. Linking off items like pillows, will make the chair ugly. Maybe the number can go down by setting all the chair to Convex Hull, but that is a gamble. 

It is many chairs with lower Li.

sere_009.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I got a bit carried away in the The all-in-one Home Furnishings Topic! .

I found out that I could link a lamp and a nightstand, and lower the Li from 6 to 3. This by resizing the lamp and nightstand a bit, link them and set physics to "None" and then "Prim" or "Convex Hull" again.

This feels like magic. I think, that some objects is set to a very high physics. A lamp with physics 3.4 has a very high physic. I have seen walkable platforms with a physic of 0.8.

The high physics of the lamp is what decides the Land Impact is so high. 

The lamp itself can go from 3 Li to 1 Li with a simple editing trick.

The lamp is 2 parts. The lamp, and an invisible cube that you can see by zooming up under the shade and select ctrl+alt+T.

The root prim is the lamp itself. You can see that the cube is outlined in blue, and the lamp in yellow. Yellow is always the root prim. As long as the lamp is the root prim, I can click "None" on physics again and again, and nothing will happen. But unlink the cube and lamp, and link it again, so the cube is the root prim. Select "None" again, and then "Prim" and the Land Impact drops to 1.

Magic.

Now the lamp has no physics. The small cube inside has it, but probably not enought to stop you from walking through it. But place the lamp on a table, and the table stop you.

lamp2collage.jpg

lampcollage.jpg

oh I bought those, nice to know!

• Like 1

Just to note and as a review for folks that have missed these discussions in the past.  The li cost of a mesh item has three parts and the HIGHEST of those parts are what you are charged. When a creator uploads items singly and then links the cost will most often be higher -- sometimes much higher.   In this example below if all the clothing on the rack would be joined in the 3D program BEFORE uploading not only would the download cost be lower, the LODs would be better for the same cost.   This is one reason why template creations are often higher land impact than needed because the people putting the "new" creations  together are using parts = hence the number of PIECES in a template build is often more than needed. 

So below this piece would be 6 LI even if sized down because it is the SERVER part of the equation that is the most.  In this case the physics has little relevance. IF the items would have been joined first and then uploaded the cost would likely be 3 with better LODs.  So EACH BUILD YOU LOOK AT will have different things that need to be considered. You can save yourself a lot of time by working on understanding the how and why this is. I get that it kind of hard to wrap your head around -- even as a builder :D.  But still a good thing to understand.  

image.thumb.png.822ddba40769a530d52146856abab3ae.png

This is all a design choice. Some creators like to use objects over and over again in their own builds (sort of like using template parts but they made them all). This is a CHOICE.  When you link all the parts together before uploading there is less ability to adapt things. It is also much more complex working on the texturing so that may be why some creators opt out of the "all in one with low land impact" model of working.  

And to @Marianne Little  I think it would be good to change the title to something like "saving land impact on furniture" or  something like that so that folks can find this in the future.  Just an idea.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
deleting extra screenshot and adding wording to be more clear
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

If you're worried about messing up your LI by linking stuff, try rezzing copies to play with first.

I've managed to have 2 fully furnished 2-story Victorians, yet still have 50 LI & 65 LI left over on my parcels, by using low LL mesh and carefully linking items. A simple box prim can often be linked to a mesh item while lowering your overall LI. This trick can work with box prim carpets set to Convex Hull. I have a 0.5 LI mesh box that works even better for making framed pictures. I'll often link pictures to a mesh wall add-on or to the furniture that's closest to them. I usually link my table lamps to the table or desk they're on. 

For lighting, I may set the light bulb or lamp shade to give off low light and then just leave it, rather than keeping a light switch script.

Apple Fall and Prim Possible both have free low LI decor and lighting, which can be found by using Area Search set to find items for sale for $L 0.  Dekute Dekore doesn't have free stuff, but has reasonably priced super low LI furniture. I love my 1 LI Grand Piano from them.

* BTW, it's only 351 Li for 1024 m parcels and 175 Li for 512 ones.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 9/12/2022 at 7:45 AM, Marianne Little said:

In these lamps, the script is still working as it should, after linking.

I copy how I edited the script, from another thread.

The light was too strong, had a big radius and was cold, white.

Since the script inside is modify, it can be edited to a more soft light, if one wish to have the realism of turning the lamp on and off.

The original light is set to plain white light, and default strength and radius 5 m. Falloff is not so important here. By changing the numbers from

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, on, <1.000000, 1.000000, 1.000000>, 1.000000, 5.000000, 0.750000

to

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, on, <1.000000, 1.000000, 1.000000>, 0.200000, 2.000000, 0.750000

the strength is reduced to 0.2 and the radius to 2 m. 

To take it further, one can set the light color to something more soft, like a beige tone.

The numbers for the color I picked are RGB 235,230,220:

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, on, <235.000000, 230.000000, 220.000000>, 0.200000, 2.000000, 0.750000

Remember to "save" before you close the script.

rgb.jpg

rgbcollage.jpg

Thank you so much for the info on dimming some lamps. It's so disappointing to get something you like, only to find that it's lighting up the whole region with another sun. I'm very scripting challenged, but will give this a try.

• Like 4

I did it!  I had a little trouble seeing the blue and yellow root and other prims.  For some reason mine were pink and yellow.  But after a few tries, which were due to my own denseness and not the instructions fault, I saw the magic happen!  Thanks so much for posting this.  I'm saving the light bulb for another day.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 1:43 AM, Chic Aeon said:

Just to note and as a review for folks that have missed these discussions in the past.  The li cost of a mesh item has three parts and the HIGHEST of those parts are what you are charged. When a creator uploads items singly and then links the cost will most often be higher -- sometimes much higher.   In this example below if all the clothing on the rack would be joined in the 3D program BEFORE uploading not only would the download cost be lower, the LODs would be better for the same cost.   This is one reason why template creations are often higher land impact than needed because the people putting the "new" creations  together are using parts = hence the number of PIECES in a template build is often more than needed. 

So below this piece would be 6 LI even if sized down because it is the SERVER part of the equation that is the most.  In this case the physics has little relevance. IF the items would have been joined first and then uploaded the cost would likely be 3 with better LODs.  So EACH BUILD YOU LOOK AT will have different things that need to be considered. You can save yourself a lot of time by working on understanding the how and why this is. I get that it kind of hard to wrap your head around -- even as a builder :D.  But still a good thing to understand.  

image.thumb.png.822ddba40769a530d52146856abab3ae.png

This is all a design choice. Some creators like to use objects over and over again in their own builds (sort of like using template parts but they made them all). This is a CHOICE.  When you link all the parts together before uploading there is less ability to adapt things. It is also much more complex working on the texturing so that may be why some creators opt out of the "all in one with low land impact" model of working.  

And to @Marianne Little  I think it would be good to change the title to something like "saving land impact on furniture" or  something like that so that folks can find this in the future.  Just an idea.  

It is too late now. I can ask a moderator to change it.

Your example gives me a great idea:

You can link this set to a piece that is the oposite, one with 0,5 SERVER and 2,7 DOWNLOAD. This will be a total of 6 Li.

5,5 Server + 0,5 Server = 6 Server.

3,7 Download + 2,7 Download = 6,4 Download.

The system should read it as 6 Li total. Here is where physics can play the unknown part.

But if we are lucky, the object with 3 Li should be consumed by the part in your example, 3 Li "gone".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I am hopeless to explain. I can't talk tech like you. Not even in Norwegian!

But I am not 100% wrong, Chic?

Finding out what to link with other things, made my Linden Homes look much more furnished.

Free up 3 in land impact, and it gives me 6 pictures more on my walls. The pictures need to have no shadow prim, and a Server upload of 0,5 and a Download that isn't over 1,4 when 2 are linked.

But it is amazing how much more 3 Li can give us.

• Like 1

From this weekends Home and Decor sale: I present to you a 60 Li kitchen:

verna_033.jpg.80679a56258b8989f38b78ced43f39ae.jpg

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lucky Star Ranch/120/118/25

verna_030.thumb.jpg.47e99cf7185a7f7b9537379f1dee0dd0.jpg

You see how tiny I am, here it is much to save in resizing. But this is a bit complicated. The modules have no physics, so it has separate bounding boxes that is visible when pressing ctrl+alt+T.

verna_029.thumb.jpg.4ba8a1d91270a81217e84ae77c3c7010.jpg

What I did, is grab the pink bounding box and move it up, so I can select the kitchen parts. Here, the sink, ovens and decor is not linked to the cabinets, for some odd reason.

I linked them. The main part, without the island, ventilator and chairs is now 33 Li. I select the island/hood combination, use edit - stretch and push in until it gets a more correct scale. My avatar is 6'9 here, so I am not very small. 

I can now select the left cabinets and link them off. I delete them. I do the same with the right ones. I am not left with a one sided kitchen and island with ventilator over.

kitchen.thumb.jpg.2ee28cbcec9237d7cd116aec5be18248.jpg

A total of 22 Li.

But now, the bounding box (second image) does not fit at all. And we walk into the kitchen parts, since nothing stop us.

I can rez two cubes, resize them, put them over the furniture and make them transparant. Problem solved.

But this is 2 more Li, when I use ordinary prims. But it is some freebie mesh with physics to get. Second Life Marketplace - Cube with smooth normal sides - OPQ Cube PSP

I linked the ventilator hood, the island, the cooking top and the invisible mesh cubes together. Total of 21 Li.

I can make it a little smaller, 20 Li. But if it is big avatars that will use this, they may find this size better.

Beware, this is a decorative kitchen with no animations for the sink or other parts. So linking everything is easy.

If it were animations, we should be careful and test how to link on copies of the kitchen. 

But anyways, we get the land impact way down. The finished kitchen is 8,8 m long. 

verna_035.thumb.jpg.bfef60b4749cfb2706363bd0e5912bc6.jpg

so many errors, wrong images etc.
  • Like 3

I just add to the post over: One side of the long kitchen, get a white edge when the right cabinets are linked off. This will not matter if the side is in a corner.

And I could not get the chair animations to work. I may send the creator a notecard, but I do not plan to use them. (I think they are ugly)

The chairs are 3 Li each, and I have better chairs that's 1 or 2 Li.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It is too late now. I can ask a moderator to change it.

Your example gives me a great idea:

You can link this set to a piece that is the oposite, one with 0,5 SERVER and 2,7 DOWNLOAD. This will be a total of 6 Li.

5,5 Server + 0,5 Server = 6 Server.

3,7 Download + 2,7 Download = 6,4 Download.

The system should read it as 6 Li total. Here is where physics can play the unknown part.

But if we are lucky, the object with 3 Li should be consumed by the part in your example, 3 Li "gone".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I am hopeless to explain. I can't talk tech like you. Not even in Norwegian!

But I am not 100% wrong, Chic?

Finding out what to link with other things, made my Linden Homes look much more furnished.

Free up 3 in land impact, and it gives me 6 pictures more on my walls. The pictures need to have no shadow prim, and a Server upload of 0,5 and a Download that isn't over 1,4 when 2 are linked.

But it is amazing how much more 3 Li can give us.

We talked about this a LOT when we were doing that 50 land impact challenge stuff a couple of winters ago. There is a post here on the forums about that somewhere but I am so not good at finding old posts. Here is the info from my blog article back then.  

https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2020/11/prim-magic-getting-more.html

Added note. I'm not sure if it says this in the post but it CAN get pretty messy -- the linking thing and across a border even more so. I WOULDN'T do it with no copy items, especially ones that are linked before doing the "magid" part.    :D

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Is this the article  Chic?

That's the thread but the info on linking doesn't seem to be there. I found the house that is mentioned in the blog post and it was fun to revisit. That was a really good challenge and we had lots of entertainment as well as gleaning some knowledge along the way. Thanks for finding it even if it didn't have the info I "thought" it had. I guess that was the same time frame but another thread. :D

• Like 4

The very cute kitchen wall items out at BLOOM for 25 Tuesday have horrid LODs  so if you are running at anything less than LOD4 they will likely be of no use.  Just letting you know since I took a chance. Not terribly surprised but had fingers crossed (no demo).  

• Sad 2

What I did with the Slithering wreath from Consignment. A 50 L Friday offer 1. Oct 2022. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Consignment/139/126/47

With 6 Land impact, it is too much for a Linden home. But it is huge when rezzed, so I had hope that I could lower the land impact. And I love this rustic style. Can I link off the snakes?

766797854_50L_006.png.7943e653c925a4c787182536170f447a.png

First I tried to resize it. Already down to 2 Li. It is still a very big size. But can I make it an all year wreath without snakes?

I can link off both the snakes and the small, glowing string of lights. Off with both, so I get that rustic look.

It is a shadow left on the twigs from that snake. But it is not very dark, and it's easy to see it as wood grains. Select the wreath itself and tinting it a bit, makes the shadow even less noticeable.

But the background shadow show the snake heads a bit too much. I can edit off the shadow prim, and use only SL shadows. I have stronger SL sun in this image.

2146907583_50L_005.png.079eb3de00f8e8a8e1bb99e1abc058d9.png

If I do not use SL enviroment shadows, and want some hint of a shadow, I can make a shadow. It is not as good as a custom made shadow, but I can use only a hint of a shadow circle with a round hole.

I bought a shadow textures pack some years ago: Second Life Marketplace - ALH Shadows fat pack

I am using ALH_shadows_circle-hole20% and tweaked the tint and transparency so it is faint. I have turned off SL shadows to show how it appears on a white wall. The twigs is also tinted a bit darker.

334071544_50L_008.jpg.00b5c43abd41d9b8e1fa60a3e7637a87.jpg

Without the snakes and lights, it is now 1 Li. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 10/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, Marianne Little said:

334071544_50L_008.jpg.00b5c43abd41d9b8e1fa60a3e7637a87.jpg

Without the snakes and lights, it is now 1 Li. 

Nice mod!  That would look lovely in a Fantasy home. Maybe re-purposed as a mirror frame or picture frame. I think I would have accepted anlther LI and left the lights on, to fit in with some other decor I already have. Lights round a mirror for a bedroom vanity would be perfect.

• Like 3

This Tuesday, 4th Oct 2022, is it a decorative Halloween village for sale from Artisan Fantasy. Second Life Maps | Artisan Fantasy

It comes softlinked, 12 individual parts and a cube. You need 13 Li to rez it. But when I link the 12 parts, the Li did not go down to 6, but 8.

It is because the parts is set to a very high physics. Some has physics 0.9. It is more than needed for walkable ground.

1438535669_AFhalloweenvillage_001.png.4a20d338741dbe1fb973c842a34614e3.png

When I shrink it down to small size, it is 6 Li. (Mantlepiece size)

I can change physics to "none" and then it lets me size it up. Of course it is phantom then.

If you want it in a big window, you do not walk through it anyway, so physics do not matter much. In fact, you can size it up to use in a garden, and keep it 6 Li, hehe. You would need a prim, set to 100% transparent, as a barrier, if you do not want to walk through it...

Edit: Of course you can link off parts and use only some of them. The Li goes down 1 Li, for every two parts you delete from the linkset.

1974791075_AFhalloweenvillage_002.png.cf9e6dabfe871c43e2ed65c314004f5f.png

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Nice mod!  That would look lovely in a Fantasy home. Maybe re-purposed as a mirror frame or picture frame. I think I would have accepted anlther LI and left the lights on, to fit in with some other decor I already have. Lights round a mirror for a bedroom vanity would be perfect.

And the lights does not give off any light... but that is easy remedied. Go to edit, select face, select features and activate light. I picked a high strength, but low radius. It is probably impossible to see any difference, but the light is not pure white, but very, very light grey.

1135454326_AFhalloweenvillage_003.thumb.png.d479613bd127077896642f4431c4a9d7.png

The lights are also adding to Li. The wreath can go down to 2 Li, cirka 1 meter in dia. as shown with a default cube.

40361673_AFhalloweenvillage_004.png.f9fca59743d4f6a4e9e625f79596eebc.png

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.