Shoe advice for new users

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently, I was helping out a new user with clothing problems. We found clothing that fit, but shoes were a problem. We found some freebie low boots that looked fine, but didn't come with an alpha or size adjustments, and the feet peeked through. The default avatars don't have the elaborate alpha HUDs the expensive ones do. What's useful advice for new users in this situation?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, animats said:

Recently, I was helping out a new user with clothing problems. We found clothing that fit, but shoes were a problem. We found some freebie low boots that looked fine, but didn't come with an alpha or size adjustments, and the feet peeked through. The default avatars don't have the elaborate alpha HUDs the expensive ones do. What's useful advice for new users in this situation?

This pack is full perm with no restrictions on distribution...pass.out what they need.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/LBD-BOMSystem-Alpha-Layers-Full-Perm/18683103

ETA...free inworld

Edited by Rowan Amore

Honestly, I don't think there's a good 'universal' solution. Either the shoe creator includes an alpha made for their product, or they don't. You could have a foot alpha, but if boots are higher or lower that might not work.

45 minutes ago, animats said:

I have a free alpha pack too, but it's not a user-friendly solution. But I suppose it's the best we've got.

Where can you get that in world with zero Lindens?

Click "See item in Second Life". But when you get the pack yourself, there is no need to send newbies there. Just give them the alpha they need, since they are full permission.

It is a very large pack. Maybe not send them the whole folder first, but some for shoes and feet. Then the folder, when they manage to wear the first alpha you send them.

It is the only way to wear boots, when they don't have a mesh body. 

• Like 1

Is there a freebie shoe store that has stuff that Just Works for classic avatars?

Accompanying a new user through the freebie stores was an frustrating experience. Clothing disaster after clothing disaster. I finally told the new user, grab lots of free stuff, go off to a changing room, try stuff, go back to your saved outfit after any problems, then try something else.

Onboarding remains too hard.

mismatch.thumb.png.50ba4060dc06adb17d2a01e444150341.png

If only we had this...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

I have a free alpha pack too, but it's not a user-friendly solution. But I suppose it's the best we've got.

It's actually the best user friendly option available.  Alphas are used with default.SL.bodies AND mesh bodies now so it's something they will eventually need.to know.

20 minutes ago, animats said:

Is there a freebie shoe store that has stuff that Just Works for classic avatars?

Accompanying a new user through the freebie stores was an frustrating experience. Clothing disaster after clothing disaster. I finally told the new user, grab lots of free stuff, go off to a changing room, try stuff, go back to your saved outfit after any problems, then try something else.

Onboarding remains too hard.

I've not seen one. 

Versov has a few pairs of group gift (group is free) unrigged sneakers at the front desk.

And there's ROC, but they aren't free. Lower price, male and female, color HUDs, and they include the alphas for the shoes that support Classic - https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/170627

Alternatively, look for group gift sneakers/boots that will work with alphas. 

My new alt still don't got no shoes! \o/

Kidding, but they were a pain to get at first

hehehe

I had the bodies and heads and some clothes, but shoes were hard to find that fit.  I went to Maitreya after having her join that group and grabbed me some beautiful pumps.. I had to go get some for myself too.. myself being this avatar.. I can't believe I passed those up all this time.

Really nice freebies there and  I don't believe it costs to join that group either..

When I first came in it was all classic bodies. Nothing else. Shoes were really goofy prim things with an invisaprim. Then we got sculpty shoes and used alpha layers or invisaprims. Invisaprims went away... well... stopped working because SL changed. Then came the fitted mesh bodies using appliers and alpha cuts controlled by a HUD and auto-controls. Omerga was big. Now we are back to alpha layers with BOM mesh bodies. We are back to the simple classic-like system ways.

Personally I think what we have now is way easier than the fitted mesh bodies using appliers, appliers adapted by Omega, having to alpha out the body and/or head to wear mesh, alpha cut HUDs, auto-alpha thingy for outfits, no-mod of the alpha-cuts, and the massive script loads required by the bodies. Much simpler now. Much less to learn.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, animats said:

Slink mainstore.

its designed for the Slink BOM bodies but they work with classic avatarts too, and the pack includes useful alphas for all sorts of things, not just feet.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.