Forum Advice

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I honestly think that if there were a way to discuss things outside of what goes on in SL, we probably could still be doing it.. But I feel the lack of common respect in those discussions is what brought the hammer down..

I don't know about anyone else, But the more  and more I seen them mods showing up in threads and locking things, the more It felt like something was gonna give..

Then something did give.

We're here now and I guess we'll see who is a good swimmer or not, because it's sink or swim time.;)

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I've already watched in the last 24 hours as topics are just kind of drying up in the GDF. I will be the stereotypical old person and shake my cane and declare, "I remember when topics and posts, from a LOT of posters, turned around so fast you could not keep up if you treated it like a full-time job." Good grief, I've been reduced to playing word games. :) So, voting with my feet is a viable option.

Indeed. As I said, impacts and implications. They may even be intended ones: I'm willing to believe that LL would be happy to see GD dwindle to nothing, or reduced to a kind of inefficient and down-market version of Answers.

That's their call, of course. But something will have been lost in the process, and some of the losses will have a net (if relatively minor) negative impact on SL as a whole.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One of the Moles said they were experimenting with these changes. And they have allowed this thread. So it seems a bit of feedback on the changes is still allowed.

The changes could be for the best as I'm willing to accept I can't see all of the big picture! But I do detect that the forum feels deadened, and I may elect to leave if I can't bring my real self into discussions a bit (not that I want to talk Politics or argue, but it feels creepy to exist as only a cartoon character on a forum). Or am I a real person here on the forum who is only supposed to be talking about only my cartoon existence in SL but not about anything real happening within SL?
Can I sue for causing my brain to be split apart in strange and confusing ways?  j/k

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Newsflash...LL doesn't care if me or anyone else leaves the forum. It's useless to throw that ultimatum around. Some people need to get over themselves. We are dispensable. 

LL owns these forums. Not us. It wasn't put here to be a conference hall for world issues.

We have to accept that unless LL changes its mind. 

Edited by blissfulbreeze
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, blissfulbreeze said:

Newsflash...LL doesn't care if me or anyone else leaves the forum. It's useless to throw that ultimatum around. Some people need to get over themselves. We are dispensable. 

LL owns these forums. Not us. It wasn't put here to be a conference hall for world issues.

We have to accept that unless LL changes it's mind. 

I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise. With whom do you think you are arguing, exactly?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, blissfulbreeze said:

I wasn't stating an ultimatum; I was expressing how I feel here now with the new changes. The forum feels deadened, and I feel confused about what is acceptable to say and confused as to how I'm supposed to separate my brain in strange ways in order to post here.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, blissfulbreeze said:

Several people threw it out there, and the one above me.

Maybe? I'll let Kiera respond on her own behalf, but I haven't seen her arguing that LL has no "right" to change the forums -- merely that doing so has larger implications.

And she's correct about that, whether or not you agree with the particular impacts that she's highlighted.

ETA: Kiera has just said what I have suggested she was saying, more or less.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

By being sanctioned on this forum I don't mean they should necessarily be removed or banned; I mean they should be told they are wrong, and this would be the penalty. Eventually I hope they would fade away by frequent confrontations, as their beliefs and actions cause much harm to others.

Some who espouse hate and are anti-democratic actually believe such sanctions would take away their freedom.
But as Lincoln said when a senator espoused slavery and claimed its removal meant his freedom was being taken away:

"You cannot have the right, to do what is wrong"

Of course eventually they were forced to do what is right via the Civil War. Sadly that is sometimes needed.

Well with the new policies it is no longer a concern. Those who hate and have anti democratic opinions will no longer have a place to voice their vitriol, so you should therefore be happy to have a place that is turning into an echo chamber of love, tolerance and obedience. And yet you are still making noises about leaving and finding a new place. Are you sure you don't live for the debate against an enemy whether real or imaginary?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

an echo chamber of love, tolerance and obedience

Wow. Where are you seeing that?

If anything, the place has become more cantankerous over the past few days -- to the point that I have, for the first time ever, put someone on "ignore" (temporarily).

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

The changes could be for the best as I'm willing to accept I can't see all of the big picture! But I do detect that the forum feels deadened, and I may elect to leave if I can't bring my real self into discussions a bit (not that I want to talk Politics or argue, but it feels creepy to exist as only a cartoon character on a forum).

The moderation here has become stricter, certainly, in some regards -- but not so strict and rigid that I yet feel the place is valueless for me. As witness this very thread, in fact. So, I'm going to give it a chance, and see where it goes before jumping ship.

The other thing is that there are other communities here, elsewhere on the forums, that are not going to be much impacted by any of this. There's a very vibrant and generally very positive one on the "My Avatar" subforum, and a smaller but interesting one in the "Creation" subforum. At the moment, I don't see any need to remove myself from either of those.

• Like 3

Just now, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Are you sure you don't have severe issues with projection?

I realize there are those who without a definable enemy, have a tendency to start eating their own. Do you really think you can be very involved in a forum where there are no people to call out? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wow. Where are you seeing that?

If anything, the place has become more cantankerous over the past few days -- to the point that I have, for the first time ever, put someone on "ignore" (temporarily).

Yes but as some leave and others start to get into the groove of the new policies, I'm sure it will start to settle. This cantankerousness is likely just temporary as we all adjust or escape.

I realize there are those who without a definable enemy, have a tendency to start eating their own. Do you really think you can be very involved in a forum where there are no people to call out? 

Arielle, you're assuming that discussing, or even arguing vehemently, about something from a particular ideological perspective is more about "having enemies" and being able to "call them out," rather than about caring about the issues at hand.

It's not a very generous view of the motivation of people. Isn't it possible that they just care passionately about something? Why does it have to be reduced to some form of power play and hostility to others?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
10 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Are you sure you don't have severe issues with projection?

This is a war mentality. I think you're imagining others have this when you are the one who does. It's projection. I don't have enemies, but I do have people I disagree with and become angry with.

• Like 3

Yes but as some leave and others start to get into the groove of the new policies, I'm sure it will start to settle. This cantankerousness is likely just temporary as we all adjust or escape.

Maybe! We'll see.

I think, though, that we're far more likely to see a bland "deadening," as Kiera and Seicher have suggested, rather than a progressive echo chamber. It's just an impression, but it seems to me that most of those most fervently embracing the changes here are emphatically not those whom I (or probably they) would term "progressives." (I could produce a half dozen instances, but for obvious reasons will not.)

The fact that so many people want me and others to just stfu suggests, maybe, that complacency and happy acceptance of "the way things are" is not a notable component of the ideologies of social justice and progressive thought.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Arielle, you're assuming that discussing, or even arguing vehemently, about something from a particular ideological perspective is more about "having enemies" and being able to "call them out," rather than about caring about the issues at hand.

It's not a very generous view of the motivation of people. Isn't it possible that they just care passionately about something? Why does it have to be reduced to some form of power play and hostility to others?

Because it is the manner in which it is usually done where one group is pitted against another. Not human rights for all but only the right's for one's favoured groups.

• Like 2

Because it is the manner in which it is usually done where one group is pitted against another. Not human rights for all but only the right's for one's favoured groups.

This (as I am probably going to be saying with increasing frequency) is a very debatable point.

😏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

This is a war mentality. I think you're imagining others have this when you are the one who does. It's projection. I don't have enemies, but I do have people I disagree with and become angry with.

When one is angry at specific peoples and groups for an extended period and even look for them to leave or be otherwise sanctioned, they are typically known as an enemy, 

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If your group does not believe and practice human rights then you will be challenged, yes.  You cannot have the right to do what is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
6 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

When one is angry at specific peoples and groups for an extended period and even look for them to leave or be otherwise sanctioned, they are typically known as an enemy, 

Which specific peoples and groups are you referring to?

Again, I don't think in terms of "enemies". 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.