Possible for a sim owner to enforce a sim-wide name confusing?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, 

I own a private island and I would like to hold a masquerade ball on it. For such an event, I would like to remove the name identification abilities of every participants so they can not tell who is who. I know some RLV functions can achieve that. The problem is that not everyone joining the party has RLV enable. So I was wondering, since I am the owner of the region, is it possible to disable the name telling for everyone in my region, maybe by using experience or some other functions requiring sim owner privilege? Thank you very much.

• Haha 1

INB4 a certain blog/photo contest promoter tells you to just have everyone wear a mask object and everyone will really really really be incognito, it isn't possible now and it isn't ever going to happen.

There is no 100% anonymity on SL. Not from other viewers. Not from scripts. Not from reverse social engineers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Theoretically you could have a script that pings someone's RLV plugin and if it's disabled or doesn't respond in a timely manner the script insta-bans them. You obviously wouldn't tell anyone about this and you'd have to look for some sort of exploit in existing default RLV functions or something. You need to just somehow secretly check for it.

• Confused 1

I think you really need to be aware that such a function, even if it WERE possible, would be  very serious security risk and as such it is a Prima Facie ToS breach.  It is also rather foolish.

Yes, the intent is a bit of fun.  Unfortunately the consequences might not be.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Well it is possible using RLV since it's being done. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mask-for-Carolines-Secret-Hideaway/23343314

It was done using RLV long before Caroline did it.  The Chamber had a similar set up years ago as did a few RP regions.   You still have to allow someone to take over your RLV.  Doing it without consent is not possible (unless you, yourself, set it up that way).  The OP did mention some participants do not have RLV enabled and if they're using the Second Life official viewer, it's not even an option.  So, not only are they asking for people to enable RLV but also use an RLV enabled viewer.  There is no other way to achieve the goal.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

So, not only are they asking for people to enable RLV but also use an RLV enabled viewer.  There is no other way to achieve the goal.

and I reiterate:  by operating this you are forcing participants to use RLV (I assume this would also work using RLVa code).  While participations is not forced the use of RLV is.

I may be reading the ToS wrong but to me that is a Prima Facie breach of ToS.  I hope I am wrong 'cos I'd hate to be a tinfoil-hatter and a spoilsport!

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

and I reiterate:  by operating this you are forcing participants to use RLV (I assume this would also work using RLVa code).  While participations is not forced the use of RLV is.

I may be reading the ToS wrong but to me that is a Prima Facie breach of ToS.  I hope I am wrong 'cos I'd hate to be a tinfoil-hatter and a spoilsport!

You can't force anyone to use RLV.  If you want to participate, you essentially agree to use RLV.  I don't see how that would be a breach of ToS.  Don't want to use RLV, don't participate.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Well it is possible using RLV since it's being done. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mask-for-Carolines-Secret-Hideaway/23343314

⚠️

Show names restrictions do not guarantee anonymity with either an RLV or RLVa viewer and should be considered just for fun.

There are MANY ways to find out the name of a nearby avatar that are well beyond the scope of what RLV/RLVa can accomplish.

If you do not want to be identified at a "masked ball", use an alt.

(I help work on the Catznip viewer that develops RLVa before it goes to Firestorm, etc. While we work very hard to close show names loop holes there will always be trivial other ways to get the name of a nearby avatar that we can do nothing about, seriously, I can not stress the "just for fun" part more strongly. Even Caroline's mask has to ask people nicely not to cheat.)

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.