Meta | They Asked For It!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Precisely what had me scratching my head.

I'd also like to know how they tracked me down. I'd assume through my credit card, but it would still involve, as Maddy notes, a lot of connecting-the-dots.

They didn’t track you down. They’ve always been watching. A bunch of blind computers with uncaring people selling us gadgets. It’s 2022. 

oh and lots of dots? Yes. A person on the street can pretty much figure out your daily habits if they watch. Imagine a multibillion industry whose job it is to solely watch you. Big brother could not have dreamed of this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

So basically the ads and stuff aren’t directed to you. Maybe that’s why everyone is upset. They don’t care about you. Not even a little bit. Like less than a little bit. You are a consumer. They sell things. It’s that simple. Nobody cares if you sleep with chickens, they just want your money. That is all there is. 

I just don't want to see ads. Ever. I haven't really seen any on the web in years. Not even on YouTube.

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Precisely what had me scratching my head.

I'd also like to know how they tracked me down. I'd assume through my credit card, but it would still involve, as Maddy notes, a lot of connecting-the-dots.

You know what freaked me out once years and years ago? Facebook randomly suggesting I befriend a woman I'd never seen before - twice my age, too. But her name sounded kind of familiar. Hmm...who the hell IS that? Thought about it for a bit. OH, I KNOW - that MIGHT be one of my mother's ex co-workers. Okay but here's the thing - my mom's not even ON social media. None. Zip. Zero. Barely ever uses the internet except Spotify and email. Not a big shopper. Doubt her old job info would even make it online unless there was some random data breach somewhere. Never once had any accounts on Facebook or Twitter or Pinterest or anything. She's also retired and has been for many years. They hadn't worked together in forever. I'd never personally met this woman, nor spoken to her either. I only knew of her through the occasional "oh so and so at work" mention a million years ago. And me - I had no location info, no job info, no photos, nothing but my name on FB. How the hell did it connect THOSE dots?!?!?!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

If you're something of a geek who likes manga and music and one day you do some research to find out what kind of guitar a manga character is playing?

Guitar ads. Lots of guitar ads..

That’s when you have to out Google the Google. It is an art and I can be taught :D

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I just don't want to see ads. Ever. I haven't really seen any on the web in years. Not even on YouTube.

You know what freaked me out once years and years ago? Facebook randomly suggesting I befriend a woman I'd never seen before - twice my age, too. But her name sounded kind of familiar. Hmm...who the hell IS that? Thought about it for a bit. OH, I KNOW - that MIGHT be one of my mother's ex co-workers. Okay but here's the thing - my mom's not even ON social media. None. Zip. Zero. Barely ever uses the internet except Spotify and email. Not a big shopper. Doubt her old job info would even make it online unless there was some random data breach somewhere. Never once had any accounts on Facebook or Twitter or Pinterest or anything. She's also retired and has been for many years. They hadn't worked together in forever. I'd never personally met this woman, nor spoken to her either. I only knew of her through the occasional "oh so and so at work" mention a million years ago. And me - I had no location info, no job info, no photos, nothing but my name on FB. How the hell did it connect THOSE dots?!?!?!

I can tell you but might be scary. I worked in a office in college. I had access to hundreds if not thousands of peoples most personal id info. And I was working as a student aid. So I made basically nothing and had access to allllll this info. Imagine if I were a thief. Now, pretend I run the internet. 

so dots? Yeah. We call them receipts 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

I can tell you but might be scary. I worked in a office in college. I had access to hundreds if not thousands of peoples most personal id info. And I was working as a student aid. So I made basically nothing and had access to allllll this info. Imagine if I were a thief. Now, pretend I run the internet. 

So yes the others want your money they want you to buy their products and they want targeted customers. That’s what advertising is all about. This is just next level.

Just now, Charolotte Caxton said:

Oh I know how that all goes. I've worked temp in the past. Companies gave me access to everything from financial data to social security numbers to full copies of medical records. The companies that hired me ran background checks, of course, but some of the other temps I worked with were FAR less careful with personal data than I'd care to admit. I shredded and scissored and ripped things to shreds meticulously, but they'd just yeet docs everywhere without a care in the world. Big yikes.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh I know how that all goes. I've worked temp in the past. Companies gave me access to everything from financial data to social security numbers to full copies of medical records. The companies that hired me ran background checks, of course, but some of the other temps I worked with were FAR less careful with personal data than I'd care to admit. I shredded and scissored and ripped things to shreds meticulously, but they'd just yeet docs everywhere without a care in the world. Big yikes.

Yeah I saw medical records I had no business looking at.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I remember a few years ago before moving up to my man's family home town, I used to go to Target for meds.  One day on Google I started seeing ads for meds I'm taking.  How did they the **** know?  I went to back and asked how my info got out.  They had me contact a supervisor (I call them Stupidvisor) and was told they sold info to Google anonymously. I call bull as they knew who I was.

• Like 6

Just now, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I remember a few years ago before moving up to my man's family home town, I used to go to Target for meds.  One day on Google I started seeing ads for meds I'm taking.  How did they the **** know?  I went to back and asked how my info got out.  They had me contact a supervisor (I call them Stupidvisor) and was told they sold info to Google anonymously. I call bull as they knew who I was.

That is so, so bad!!!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
10 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

That’s when you have to out Google the Google. It is an art and I can be taught :D

/me starts searching for jock straps and mountain-climbing equipment

I think he meant "use DuckDuckGo"? That's what the um..counter culture people on here post links for.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

People tend to see "sinister" aspects (it's how the discussion started) in anything. But you can be reassured. Meta is not going to manipulate your mind. Max it can do it can show you a pair of shoes on your homepage because of some likes you putted, gender info and location you decided to share.

Antonioo, I would be interested in how you know that? I suspect that is your opinion, not actual knowledge.

As for actual facts, Facebook has already done that manipulation thing. Using Google to search for information about their manipulation I get 153 million hits on the subject. And as has been pointed out, FB executives have responded to questions about the subject. You can read FB's response to the claim of manipulating 689,000 of their users in a Forbes article.

If you think FB cannot manipulate people, you might want to consider reading some of the information on the subject. You might also want to consider information on psychological warfare. And while a long and less than riveting book, The Rape of the Mind by Dr. Joost A.M. Meerloo, Chris Matthews, et al. should wake you up to what is possible and the type of mind manipulation used over the decades.

@Charolotte Caxton While Antonioo writes as if he knows something, just a little online research will reveal his level of naiveté.

If you want to know how to avoid being manipulated, avoid relying on Antonioo's sterling assurance backed up by... what?

Instead educate yourself on how political parties and governments use influence to control people and then consider where the data for those manipulations comes from. Then consider why a large corporation would NOT take advantage of such tactics to attain their goals.

When I wrote earlier that most people are clueless... do a little research and see if you can identify the clueless one in this not yet a debate.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

/me starts searching for jock straps and mountain-climbing equipment

I should turn off my blocker long enough to see if doing this does actually mess with ad algorithms, but I don't wanna. You should test this for me! Go hunting for camping supplies one day, and luxury jewelry the next. Keep us posted. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In the spirit of this discussion, I have just landed on the Balenciaga website and I have questions (slightly off-topic, but I'll bring it back in a second)...

But for real...what the what?!

56ba713af06994a9a081f549010a5ba2.png

And these pants!!!

2c8bf13e5a81488e1d331c68dc056c43.jpg

Okay back on topic now - I swear if some website tries to serve me some hot mess fashion ads like this I might fly off into orbit. I'm going to turn off my ad-block and hunt for more of this nonsense because now I HAVE to know, LMAO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.