Stupid questions...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

Sorry about this being my first post and asking for help rather than helping others but I am so confused >_<

I just upgraded to premium (yeh I probably shouldn't after reading the forums, oops!) and I have a free 512m without having to pay the tier. 

I want to buy some land and start building, probably the next tier up again to be honest, but when I have looked in the land sales etc everyone still expects to be paid $L as they are private sellers and you don't need a premium account.

How can I get my free (basically) 512m or land when I purchase a plot? 

Or am I being super blonde and getting things wrong again x3

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Georgina <3

You sound like you were misled by the wording. I personally do not think people should be allowed to advertise a land "sale" when in fact they are renting or leasing.

Many estate owners will advertise "parcel for sale" but you pay the down payment is what actually happens, and then pay "tier" to them every month or week also. 

It's a rental.

If you want to buy, try mainland, or get your free Linden home. Maybe you can get out of your rental after a month's time, or just pay both for one month. Just let your landlord know in advance if you decide to leave. They really should be very clear about what a rental vs. a real purchase is, though. Many many people fall for this.

ETA: this is how a purchase works. Go to mainland. Find a parcel in search or in the forums. Look around, take some time, decide. There are many prices and locations and terrains available. When you decide, right click, and buy the parcel. 

It will cost you some Lindens to buy it. What you get free is your tier to Linden Lab for 512 meters worth. If you get more land, you go up a tier level, and anything above 512 isn't free tier, any more. If you go to your Account on the main web page here, look for Land Use Fees.

If you get the Linden home, which you choose through this web page also, then use of the house and land is free as well as the tier. When you get tired of living there you just right click and abandon it. If you buy mainland, and want to leave that parcel, then to get rid of the tier you would need to put it up for sale.

As a premium member one thing you can do is take advantage of the Private Homes LL has. Log in and in your Dashboard you'll in the upper right, "Your Own Private Home in Second Life. Click "Get Your Home Now " and you go to a page that tells about them and how to get one. But you have to use the home provided. You membership lets you have that free each month, no extra charge.

You can however buy land. You have to buy it from whoever owns it. You pay that and you can build and have control over the land. Your membership lets you have that first 512 free, with no extra charge each month. You only pay your monthly (or whatever plan you went with) membership fee, If you buy more land, then you will have to start paying tier. Check "Land Use Fees" in your Dashboard and you'll see how much tier is for different amounts of land.

This applies only to the Mainland. You can rent from Private Estates, but you can't use your free 512 on these. You'll have to pay weekly or however they have the rent setup

Hope that helps,

Burl

****** wow, I"m a slow typer, ya'll answered already :) ******

Aww thank you for your help  :)

That's great! You did a good job haha, I basically have to buy off the mainland, then my tier will be deducted from my overall land size, (I think haha)

Other than that I have a question about prims, when searching I saw some people offering land with higher prims, are these available on mainland or only off mainland? The more prims the better :)

Thanks again!! <3

Yeh I am in complete agreement with you, It's not very straight forward, I can imagine many people loose some $L! 

I did look at the free linden home but I wasnt keen haha, I'd like to make something myself, maybe with a bigger area aswell. Thanks for your help also! Your all so lovley here lol <3

Unless the landlord on mainland owns enough land that they can parcel it up like estate owners do, and you rent, no.

All land comes with a certain amount of prims.

What some landlords do, is use some land for common grounds, and then devote part of those prims to every rental parcel.

But if you BUY a mainland parcel, you get the prims it comes with. Nothing more. Same with if you purchased an estate. But you can't purchase an estate in pieces, only rent one. If you purchase estate, you get the whole island. And if you buy it from LL it's 1000 USD. Plus approximately $300 USD a month tier.

I'd recommend buying mainland for beginning land owners.

Or the Linden home. The good side of that is you get the house, landscaping and land, plus  your own 117 prims. If you get a 512 elsewhere it normally comes with 117 prims total. Which would include your house, landscaping and the rest. Linden Homes houses do not subtract from that 117.

If you want to build and get a larger parcel, I'd buy mainland. Then you can also do what you want within LL TOS. Most estates have covenants. 

Ok so there are some sellers who sell mainland plots with increased prims then? 

And also are all the plots advertised when searching in the mainland only for sale and not rental? 

I.e.. I can pick anything on the mainland and it will take into account my free 512m?

Sorry for the many questions guys

Another way to look for land is on your map.  Open the big map and click the "show land for sale" button.  This way if you find an area you lke you can search for land sales there.

Edit to add:  There are some double prim parcels on mainland but you pay dearly for them.  You can find them in the areas known as Bay City, Nautilus and on the adult continent Zindra.

You did a pretty good job.  On the Linden Homes.  Those homes are free and they do take up your 512 meter tier free benefit but they do not sit on a 512 square meter plot.  What you get is a home and most of the land rights that owning Mainland entails but there are restrictions.  You cannot sell the home (when you want to leave it you have to abandon it back to LL......you won't get any Lindens for it).  You cannot landscape your home because you don't own any land outside the walls of the home.  You cannot put up a sky box.  You cannot alter the home other than changing textures on the inside walls and placing furniture (I believe you can put up additional walls inside to make another room, but the homes are not really very big).

The Linden Homes are a freebie for Premium members.  It's a good deal to get aquainted with land ownership or to have a place to "call your own".  They are not designed for people who want to create a home with landscaping, people who want to create a business, or people who want to build adventure parcels.  They are a "starter kit" so to speak.

When you purchase Mainland in SL you are (for the most part) buying the land from other residents.  You can also purchase Mainland from LL via the Land Auctions.  You pay for the land using the SL money.......Lindens (L$).  If you purchase Estate land (private) you are using paying another resident some non-refundable up front money then a weekly (or monthly) fee......which is what the owner of the sim your land is located on uses to pay his tier to LL (that fee, naturally, has a mark-up unless the sim owner is just trying to break even.......that's a rare thing in SL).  You can also purchase entire Estates (sims) directly from LL.......that envolves real money (not L$). 

Any Mainland that you purchase (not rent) will include the first 512 meters tier free.  Those parcels with extra prims are likely land that is deeded to a group.......you get a bonus prim allotment (I believe that's 10%).  I would be careful with land advertised that way.......you would have to purchase the plots that make up the land and create your own group and deed the land to that group.

When you're new to SL, it's best to either rent, lease (Estate land) or get the lowest level of Premium membership & use a free Linden house. If you use your 512 m to buy a small plot of land, you'll end up with fewer prims to furnish your house than you'd get with a Linden home, since the house & landscaping around it is free prims. With a Linden home, however, you won't have use of land owner tools like setting the music stream or terraforming the land.

If you want to play with building stuff, I recommend finding some good sandboxes that have long autoreturn times & don't tolerate griefers. I'll send you a list of some to check out in world.

If you still want to own land, I recommend creating a group with yourself & at least one other person in it (or joining a land group with a friend you trust).  You can even create an alt & have them join your group, so you & your alt are the only members.  Then you can buy land for your group or buy land & deed it to your group.  The advantage of owning group land vs.. personal land is that you can buy about 10% more square meters (which means you also get about 10% more prims) without having to pay more in tier.

You can buy many parcels in SL now for around  L$ 1/  square meter.  If you pay more than L$ 2/ m, be sure you're getting a really good location.  Things to look for with land are access to water, a road, Linden land you can walk across, or private land you can walk across.  Walk or fly around the neighborhood before you buy.  Avoid places with breedable animal farms, games like Zingo, high traffic from dance clubs or sandboxes, particle emitters or anything that causes lag.  Can you move easily & quickly around the neighborhood?  If not, then you might not enjoy living there. As in RL, remember Location. Location. Location.  Another point to be aware of is that it's usually much easier to buy land than to sell it, so you may not get your sale price back if/when you change your mind & want to move later.

Most important of all to remember when buying land is that the real cost of owning land in SL isn't the purchase price, but the monthly Tier you pay.  If you can afford to pay $5, $8, $15 or more a month for tier, I suggest getting an annual Premium membership instead of a monthly one, to save on your yearly cost.  Then form a land group to get the 10 % bonus in free tier & prims.  Just be sure you keep track of when your annual payment comes due each year & either pay it or downgrade to basic before it comes due.  Otherwise, Linden Labs can lock you out of your account for non-payment.

On trick with Linden homes that may still work (though I don't guarantee it) is that you can rez an item on your land & then drag it over the property line onto common land.  This would be a way to place a plant outside of your home boundary, for instance, without having the prims count against your allotment.  If someone notices the item, they can report it & have it returned to you, but residents in Linden homes don't usually pay much attention to an extra plant or other small unobtrusive item. 

Yeah, there are always to cheat the system.  So you do it with couple plants, your neighbor does it with a couple prims and pretty soon a sizable percentage of people are doing with a couple prims.........and your sim suddenly becomes more laggy or things don't rezz completely around you like they used to.

Not to mention that when the sim gets it's inevitible restart everyone's extra couple of prims go poof.........and everyone get all up in arms. :matte-motes-crying:

To each their own.

Melita Magic wrote:

Unless the landlord on mainland owns enough land that they can parcel it up like estate owners do, and you rent, no.

All land comes with a certain amount of prims.

What some landlords do, is use some land for common grounds, and then devote part of those prims to every rental parcel.

But if you BUY a mainland parcel, you get the prims it comes with. Nothing more. Same with if you purchased an estate. But you can't purchase an estate in pieces, only rent one. If you purchase estate, you get the whole island. And if you buy it from LL it's 1000 USD. Plus approximately $300 USD a month tier.

Or the Linden home. The good side of that is you get the house, landscaping and land, plus  your own 117 prims. If you get a 512 elsewhere it normally comes with 117 prims total. Which would include your house, landscaping and the rest. Linden Homes houses do not subtract from that 117.

If you want to build and get a larger parcel,
I'd buy mainland
. Then you can also do what you want within LL TOS.
Most estates have covenants. 

Why would you recommen buying mainland over renting a parcel from a reputable landlord? Id suggest renting a parcel for a new land owner. why? When you rent land from a good landlord, theres usually someone there to hold your hand a little. With all our land rentals we offer help with landscaping,terraforming etc..and supply endless free amounts of help with anything land related..you dont really get that with mainland do you?

Yes private estates do mostly have covenants..and this is a GOOD thing. It means, unlike unregulated mainland, there are things you can and can not do...it usually means (if the cov is policed ) that no one can build something fugly right on your doorstep, that you wont be left sitting for months with over hanging stuff from your neighbour, that you wont wake up and someone's sucking up all the sim resouces for a neon lit zyngo paradise.

Find a good landlord,rent yourself a parcel and grab all the free help you can from them !!

Georgina Mornington wrote:

I just want to thank everyone again for thier help
:)

I am now the proud owner of a lovley beach front 1024 plot with sunset veiws!! zomg >_<

Party round mine?
xD

Still figuring out all this extra 10% stuff, nearly there though. You guys rawk !

The 10% stuff comes into play if you start a group and deed your land to it. Make sure you have at least 2 members in your group, even if the 2nd one is your alt.

If you deed your 1024 you will get another 102sqm available to buy without increasing your tier level. If you deed that 102 you then get another 10sqm etc.

As the smallest unit of land is 16sqm, for a deeded 1024 with all bonus land deeded, you would be able to own 1136sqm.

If you find small plots on the same sim to buy for your bonus land, the prims are shared with your main plot, so you can leave the small ones empty and use the extra few prims on your home.

Back to your earlier comment, don`t  regret going Premium, it is actually very cheap after you get back your stipend payments and if you pay yearly it is almost free and worth it for the extra support benefits.

Melita Magic wrote:

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sadly also means the next 1-4 houses are within10m or so, reducon privacy. Also the sims are so full, they are laggy as hel, even if you are the only one on it..

Ok so there are some sellers who sell mainland plots with increased prims then? 

And also are all the plots advertised when searching in the mainland only for sale and not rental? 

I.e.. I can pick anything on the mainland and it will take into account my free 512m?

Sorry for the many questions guys

1. Yes there could be some who do. As a rental.

2. People misuse the term "buy" and "owner" a lot, so yes some rentals are mixed in.

3. Yes. (If you buy it. Right click, buy. Then it should turn green showing you as owner, on Mainland. If you pay a rental box you did not buy the land.) Your 512 tier will not be used if you rent.

Faithless: It had nothing to do with whether the landlords are good or not. It had everything to do with it being much, much easier. See how confusing the whole buy, rent, own, lease, mainland, estate is for most people? Plus it does not count as the 512 free tier with the Premium membership which is what the OP wanted.

The trick phrase here is reputable landlord. Finding one of those can be very difficult for a new resident and they do not know the pitfalls or what to beware of yet. It is much easier for them to begin with a LInden home or with their own parcel of mainland. 

Now in a "perfect world" in which all landlords explained things well and never went POOF in the night keeping people's paid rent, then okay. Estate land can be very nice!

You don't have to spend long in the forums to have read many of the horror stories about such things happening with estate land either, and I hate to see new residents sour on SL through an experience such as that.

About living next door to a Zyngo palace - just buy wisely. The same can happen on an estate! Or living with prim hogs or  bad neighbors the same as mainland. And some people do find the covenants too restrictive. This person wants to BUILD what they want.

Hope that clarified it for you.

Faithless Babii wrote:

Why would you recommen buying mainland over renting a parcel from a reputable landlord? 

Faithless Babii wrote:

Why would you recommen buying mainland over renting a parcel from a reputable landlord? 

Hi Melita !

Yes I know the OP was originally referring to her premium membership and mainland, but I was picking up on some of your remarks regarding it being easier to start with mainland, and I have not found that to be the case at all.

1)
"It is much easier for them to begin with a LInden home or with their own parcel of mainland. "-
why do you feel it is easier to start with mainland? It is not my experience at all.

2)
Now in a "perfect world" in which all landlords explained things well and never went POOF in the night keeping people's paid rent, then okay. Estate land can be very nice!-
Privtae Estate land can be great yes, but the tired old story we hear about people losing land/ bad landlords here in the microworld of the forums is thrashed about a great deal to tar what is and can be a positive experience with private estates. You dont really see much positive said about either mainland or private estates in the forums, its a place to ask questions,get help..not to back slap the good & great .Does LL have inworld staff to help you? Whats LL like after youve got your mainland and need help, do they leave you to the mercy of the forums or provide inworld help & assistance?.Ive been renting land & homes in SL for over 4 years,and know of many many many other great & reputable landlords that have & do also...we dont hear much about these people in the forums precisely because there have been no problems people come here to post about.

3)
You don't have to spend long in the forums to have read many of the horror stories about such things happening with estate land either, and I hate to see new residents sour on SL through an experience such as that
.- see above re: forums and also the same can be same two fold for horror stories about mainland. Bad neighbours, feuds that carry on for months and months, over hanging prims anyone? Parcel encroachment..your neighbourhood disolving into neon lit night clubs & malls? All these and many more can make your super mainland parcel a living nightmare and sour your experience new or old land owner with mainland. Your case on this point works both ways.

4)
About living next door to a Zyngo palace - just buy wisely. The same can happen on an estate! Or living with prim hogs or bad neighbors the same as mainland. And some people do find the covenants too restrictive. This person wants to BUILD what they want.
- no the zyngo scenario cant happen on a private estate if its residential- cant it? Sure you can also get mixed private estates,
but thats a choice
, residential,comerical or mixed...I only have residential sims personally, covenants are not generally that restrictive either (I know mine isnt) and they as a rule are there to safeguard the people who make that estate thneir home. Landlords want people to stay...so they set out a covenant to protect the overall look & appearance of the estate, and to make everyones experience a positive one. If you rent in a themed estate, dont be surprised if the covenant asks that you maintain that theme! Ive never in 4 years come across a covenant thats built around making peoples lifes difficult . People can build on private estates also-we allow it, and also terrain editing (within set parameters-again so everyones experience is good) - and unlike linden homes you can also utilise the sky above your land,for example a nice building platform might be handy. You dont need to "file a ticket" for bad neighbours either..or wait in line for a few weeks to months for some assistance with private estates its in the interests of the landlord to aid & help & resolve any disputes that arise- in just over 4 years I can only think of a handful of times Ive had to step in and help...its peaceful & organised on our estates. Prim hogs & hoggers in general are dealt with pretty quickly..we have the tools to check performance every day (and it is!), living on a mainland parcel you do not have this safeguard-youre pretty much out there flapping in the breeze.

Hope that helps :matte-motes-grin:

Other than that I have a question about prims, when searching I saw some people offering land with higher prims, are these available on mainland or only off mainland? The more prims the better
:)

There -ARE- a few select places of mainland that get double prims. They are Bay City and downtown Zindra (but only parts of downtown - inspect the lot under the objects tab of About Land to make sure).

117 for a 512, so on a double prim lot it better say 234.

A double prim lot costs a heck of a lot more than just double the normal price though. 40,000L on the low end for a 512 - whereas on regular land you can get an off-road 512 for 260L if you look / time it right (but normal is about 1L/m).

Select carefully. When I went premium I spent two weeks finding a lot... A smarter me would have spent the two weeks, and then gone premium the moment I was ready to buy... :)

Faithless Babii wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

If you want to build and get a larger parcel,
I'd buy mainland
. Then you can also do what you want within LL TOS.
Most estates have covenants. 

Why would you recommending renting a parcel from a landlord who could close up shop tomorrow, or just close up shop on your lot, or toss you out for no reason, or get all weird on rules, or do whatever... when you could buy a lot on mainland and do with it anything the ToS allows?

Perspective is key here. Some of us like cults of personality and excel within them, others like the 'cold but preditcable hand' of a set of rules enforced by a bureaucracy of cubicle farmers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.