LL Announces New LGBTQ+ Community Page

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of the first communities I stumbled upon in SL was the Japanese community. Fantastic builds, costumes, and events. I learned such a lot despite some language struggles - we had a lot of laughs over our quirky grammar and vocab, in some cases communicating simply with gestures, building things and giving each other gifts. I hope they do some country-based featured communities in future, and include non-English speakers. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

One of the first communities I stumbled upon in SL was the Japanese community. Fantastic builds, costumes, and events. I learned such a lot despite some language struggles - we had a lot of laughs over our quirky grammar and vocab, in some cases communicating simply with gestures, building things and giving each other gifts. I hope they do some country-based featured communities in future, and include non-English speakers. 

One of the first communities I got dragged into, was the bloodlines community. Ngl I hated every moment of it, the clan was abusive and they played favourites a lot. When I say dragged, I mean there was some recruiter standing at welcome island waiting for some poor naive schmuck such as myself to fall prey to their sales pitch and well it reeled me in. Thank god I am not a part of that community anymore though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

I love this idea, too. Is there a place to submit ideas for future community pages? I think maybe we need one, even if it's a simple Google survey or something.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Is there a place to submit ideas for future community pages? I think maybe we need one, even if it's a simple Google survey or something.

at the bottom of each specific community page there's a spot to fill out for feedback, seems as good a place as any to pitch an idea even if that's probably not the exact right spot for a new featured community suggestion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

One of the first communities I got dragged into, was the bloodlines community.

My condolences. Hopefully these community pages will give the next generation of newbies a more positive start.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

One of the first communities I got dragged into, was the bloodlines community.

21 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

My condolences. Hopefully these community pages will give the next generation of newbies a more positive start.

My first experience was a guy hanging out at the welcome island or whatever it was called then, who overheard me asking a mentor about music in SL, and who then IMed me to ask if I wanted to see his music collection. Being a noob, I said yes.

Turned out the "music collection" was at his "beach house." In his bedroom . . .

Yeah -- it would be good if they can figure out a way to make these relevant and available to new residents!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If there is no "forum" for the LGBT+ community to discuss topics, HOW exactly is the new page a "community" page? Where's the "community" without discussion? Merely in reading a web page with curated articles and photos of happy LGBT+ avatars - is that "community"? No.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If there is no "forum" for the LGBT+ community to discuss topics, HOW exactly is the new page a "community" page? Where's the "community" without discussion? Merely in reading a web page with curated articles and photos of happy LGBT+ avatars - is that "community"? No.

I thought the intent is to highlight relevant inworld places, groups and events? 

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 4:04 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is one of the issues with LL generally: as an American company, they often seem rather unaware of other cultures.

As you note, Black Canadian culture is quite different in many ways than what exists in US. Here, as also in the UK, the predominant culture influence is the Caribbean, with an infusion of African (there is, for instance, a large Somali diaspora here in Toronto).

I'm not sure what to do about that, or if anything can be done. Every community is diverse, including the LGBTQ+ one. The answer I suppose is to be as diverse as possible, and not prescriptive.

*waves down the 401 to Scylla!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

at the bottom of each specific community page there's a spot to fill out for feedback, seems as good a place as any to pitch an idea even if that's probably not the exact right spot for a new featured community suggestion.

This is very true! I thought about that, but then I remembered the info in the very first announcement post that made it sound like they were going to be looking for our input/interviews/photos/content/etc. in a slightly more organized manner. 

Now, Coffee did say she was able to make contact, but I've not yet seen any Google forms or anything. Of course, it's VERY possible I missed it all (just look at how I missed that big ole section on the homepage LOL)!

"These community pages are living projects, and we want your input! These pages will be extensive resources by and for each community. If you would like to submit content for a page, please keep an eye out for announcements on specific community pages, as there will be a (google form) open to the public for each of them. Please understand that due to the volume of submissions, not all content will be published, but we appreciate your input."

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So just toss the introduction for newbies so they have no clue if it's a good "fit" for them.

No Newbie Introduction to Communities 101 for you!

044_62.jpg

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So just toss the introduction for newbies so they have no clue if it's a good "fit" for them.

Well Hi there, and thank you for your kind response. That unfortunately, is not what I meant to imply should be done.

Is joke, I guess? Sarcasm is difficult for me to detect.

Here are a couple of options for what I could have suggested, to perhaps be more positive:

1) "Hey, please consider adding some kind of discussion area for each Community - not just a 'suggestion box'." 

2) "Hey, this was a GREAT idea! Maybe the word 'Community' would be more appropriate if there was a discussion area."

(Otherwise, the "Community" is just reading your Web page, unless we happen to meet up at one of your published events.)

I hope one of those options is pleasing!

EAD02530-16C6-4545-9C5F-5747AD363F83.jpeg.d4f8ffa05b87fc9493082868aa06042d.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Well Hi there, and thank you for your kind response. That unfortunately, is not what I meant to imply should be done.

Is joke, I guess? Sarcasm is difficult for me to detect.

Here are a couple of options for what I could have suggested, to perhaps be more positive:

1) "Hey, please consider adding some kind of discussion area for each Community - not just a 'suggestion box'." 

2) "Hey, this was a GREAT idea! Maybe the word 'Community' would be more appropriate if there was a discussion area."

(Otherwise, the "Community" is just reading your Web page, unless we happen to meet up at one of your published events.)

I hope one of those options is pleasing!

EAD02530-16C6-4545-9C5F-5747AD363F83.jpeg.d4f8ffa05b87fc9493082868aa06042d.jpeg

The pages themselves are not the communities. They are an introduction to those communities.

image.png.4717ef84eae25ba7e3b8c12613f7429e.png

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.