Help with necklaces.

Rocket93

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Pretty unavoidable, unless you buy jewelry rigged to your specific body. Which isn't that common for standard necklaces, usually.

The necklace is unrigged, so it has no idea where your "body" actually is, save for the attachment point it's added on. Just an inconvenience of SL. But, if you've already figured out how to edit them, that's most of the battle.

Edited by cariboustag
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rocket93 said:

Each time I try to add or wear a necklace it starts out away from my body. I've been learning how to edit them to fix it. Was wondering if there is a way to fix it so I don't have to do this with each one.

Count yourself lucky.  Many times if I put on a new unrigged necklace it ends up inside my body.  It is creepy going inside one's body to find something.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Count yourself lucky.  Many times if I put on a new unrigged necklace it ends up inside my body.  It is creepy going inside one's body to find something.

Lil, you don't need to go looking in your body! Rightclick the item in your inventory and choose EDIT and you got it... I only found this out a short time ago myself. ALl the time I wasted trying to find those pesky belly piercings inside my tummy...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Emma Krokus said:

Lil, you don't need to go looking in your body! Rightclick the item in your inventory and choose EDIT and you got it... I only found this out a short time ago myself. ALl the time I wasted trying to find those pesky belly piercings inside my tummy...

Oh yeah -- someone told me that a while back, but I keep forgetting.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think one of the best attachement points for wearing unrigged things like necklaces might be your spine. I am not currently in world to test this , but I seem to remember things not moving around as much. 

Yeah, IMO, spine is the best place to attach something like a necklace - primarily because of the limited movement, as you said.  Even if the necklace already attaches to the spine, if it is unrigged, it is still likely to not be placed exactly right - because of different body sizes - and will need editing.

• Like 1

Never taken any notice where my necklaces attach. If i wear something new and it's not in the right place i'll use edit mode to get it mostly in place. Many times a resizer is included with non rigged so i'll use that get a better size then use edit mode to refine the position a bit more, you don't need to be too precise as animations and clothes can affect if it clips a bit. once i have something sized i wont adjust it to fit with clothes mostly they work out ok

• Like 1

I started learning how to build in SL as a jeweler in my early days, and even so I never like how necklaces fit on the avatar. I don't think I ever liked any unrigged necklaces. I wore them and made them because I love jewelry but gave up on necklaces for the most part and focused on earrings and rings. But now that I can find rigged necklaces, they are the ONLY necklaces I wear. I don't make them as my time, what little I have, goes into other things. I'm really happy to see that rigged necklaces aren't so hard to find nowadays. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rocket93 said:

Thank you for all of your help. Had no idea about attaching to the spine. Editing from inventory is so much easier! Now that I know rigged jewelry is out there, I'll be looking for it.

It doesn't really matter where rigged items are attached. The rigging information embedded in the item determines where they will appear regardless of the attachment point.

However, stacking all your attachments on one attachment point can be a problem. Way too many designers do not set an attachment point, they have most of their rigged stuff attaching to the default point, the right hand.

If you fly, sail, or drive across SL then you will likely run into problems with the 'everything on one attachment point' plan. At region crossings often not all the attachments on a single point make it across. Some times an attachment is still attached just not visible and other times it actually gets detached. This can be avoided by assigning a practical attachment point to all newly purchased mesh attachments.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

It doesn't really matter where rigged items are attached. The rigging information embedded in the item determines where they will appear regardless of the attachment point.

The suggestion of attaching to the spine was for non-rigged necklaces. So the attachment point is vitally important in that case.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.