I guess my shopping days are over.

Yuukie Onmura

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This public service announcement goes out to all the creators:

there are people out there who do not want their avatars to look like kim kardashian.

Oh, and the "slightly overweight underage nymphomaniac"" look is a no-go as well.

I just went to a big inworld event, and there was literally only ONE item I actually liked the look of, and that didn't come for the body I prefer to use.

• Like 5

What body do you use? I also prefer natural leaning proportions, and Maitreya is perfect. I'm pretty sure every creator makes things for Maitreya.

As for non-skimpy clothing, I feel you. I love sexy clothes like miniskirts, but I like to look realistic and if my skirt is riding up so much that my whole behind is showing it's quite off putting. Finding a skirt with the perfect length is so hard >< the asian clothing stores have skirts that are way too long, and all the other creators have skirts so short I can only see it as lingerie- roleplay-costume skirts.

• Like 1

The funny part about the short skirts is that whilst a lot of it is skimpy for the sake of being skimpy, the other reason is that the further you rig a skirt below the butt it becomes exponentionally more a PITA to make rigging that looks nice. Time is money and all that.

Wish SL would add physics skirt bones to the armature or something to that effect to make it easier..

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Nightingalia said:

As for non-skimpy clothing, I feel you. I love sexy clothes like miniskirts, but I like to look realistic and if my skirt is riding up so much that my whole behind is showing it's quite off putting. Finding a skirt with the perfect length is so hard >< the asian clothing stores have skirts that are way too long, and all the other creators have skirts so short I can only see it as lingerie- roleplay-costume skirts.

...specifically the kind of roleplay that is ... "adult".

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

The funny part about the short skirts is that whilst a lot of it is skimpy for the sake of being skimpy, the other reason is that the further you rig a skirt below the butt it becomes exponentionally more a PITA to make rigging that looks nice. Time is money and all that.

Wish SL would add physics skirt bones to the armature or something to that effect to make it easier..

and even with a long-ish skirt that looks nice you need all kind of alpha cuts or it won't work with about half the animations in your AO or your furniture.

• Like 3

As I see it there are a lot of smaller lesser known stores that do sell more modest type clothing yet stylish, the problem here is because they are lesser known, they are harder to find when looking.  I make clothing from templates, and I reject way more templates than I buy simply because of what is offered in most cases is the "hooker" type stuff as I call it.  But when I do get something good, and put a lot of work into texture and detail, usually making outfits rather than just a skirt or just a top..  As we cannot advertise in here I can't put my store info in here.  I am perfectly capable of making my own mesh, but to do that I have to make the mesh in Zbrush,  then take it into Blender to rig and save in .dae format and quite honestly, it is not worth the work.  So I use a nice template like a blank canvas to work on.  But my point here is that there are shops out there that do sell what you are looking for, they are just harder to find as they are not big name stores.  Also a lot of events and fairs, will not accept anything made with templates so that also decreases the visibility of many good stores.

• Like 3

I've always dressed pretty modestly  (I have an INTENSE cardigan collection!) and I have never really had an issue finding things to wear. I wear all kind of stores, and even at the big name ones there are modest, super cute clothing .  However I rarely ever wear a complete outfit together. I prefer separates and mix and match with different brands. It can be a bit of trial finding things that fit together they way you want, but your look will be more interesting in the end. I also think it is wise to  invest in some nice bom pieces that can make super low cut tops more wearable. The last thing I will recommend is to look at Flickr. You don't have to take pictures yourself to look through the various groups.  There are many talented designers and bloggers there that put together looks that will knock your socks off!

• Like 6

What event was it? Some events specialize in that kind of thing, and you're really not going to find much else. But there are modest items to be found out there. There are stores like Virtue that specialize in it, and ones like Meander and Siss Boom and Just Because that have both modest and skimpy items for sale. Hell, Kaithleen's is famous for sexy clothes, and they've got a calf-length dress at Uber right now (it shows cleavage, but you can put a BOM top under it if that's not your thing).

• Like 4

Thanks for the recommendations, Bookish.

Neve, (NO) Nylon Outfitters, Mutresse, Aphorism, Tetra, Ducknipple, Valentina E., GO!,  Fashionably Dead, Mikunch, Thalia Heckroth, Tres Blah, C'est la Vie ! and Pixicat also have some stylish, conservative items and a good selection.

• Like 6

I actually add a BOM under top to any really low cut or too skimpy tops I might make.  Personally I use a BOM under top a lot so I thought I would give folks a choice by adding the BOM Top to the package so it is right there matching if needed.

• Like 5

For me Events are mostly for getting landmarks anyways.. I mean it's like looking at one item they put out vs everything else in the store..

If something is well made, I'll give a look at their store.

If it's a rehash, then I don't even bother.. They aren't even making their own stuff anyways ,so I just skim passed those.

A couple land marks here and there and you have a good shopping trip going on.. Don't make the events your trip.. Make them like the catalog that gets your favorites built up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yuukie Onmura said:

This public service announcement goes out to all the creators:

there are people out there who do not want their avatars to look like kim kardashian.

Oh, and the "slightly overweight underage nymphomaniac"" look is a no-go as well.

I just went to a big inworld event, and there was literally only ONE item I actually liked the look of, and that didn't come for the body I prefer to use.

You should check out *COCO* (if you have maitreya/slink/belleza) for more classy clothing if you don't want anything overly sexy. I have a few of that creators clothes and came up with some outfits that weren't over the top sexy, as I also did not want a "Kim Kardashian" type avatar. I also like OSMIA for some jeans, and Addams for some shirts/shorts. If I think of any others, I'll add them here.

Edited by Lunaea Lovely
  • Like 7

Honestly, i save a hell of a lot of money and more times than not, end up with better results when I piece my own look together, rather than shopping off the rack for a whole outfit..

The way things are nowadays you could pay 4 grand for panties and a freaking tank top that are stuck in a fatpack.. lol

I could put a hell of an amazing outfit together just getting individual pieces  for that price..

I think it's easy to get stuck in the event swing and shop off the rack each weekend.. But really events these days are just the inworld malls of yesteryear..

The malls always had that stuff you had to sort through to hopefully find the good stuff.. hehehehe

19 hours ago, Yuukie Onmura said:

Yeah this is definitely happening. 

Try Fashionably Dead. She usually has Saturday sales every weekend and a it's clothing that doesn't wedge into your butt crack or show cooter. It's actually super cute and nicely made. 

• Like 1

Posts like this pop up every once in awhile and honestly there are clothes out that there to fit a more modest look  or a mature one or whatever.  It can take a little more time to find things than just going to events but events are limiting. You are going to see a few things by a designer and that's it.  A lot of times you have to go and check out what is in the store to see what other options they have

Someone suggested Flickr and that's great, so is looking through a blog feed or even just going out and around SL and using the What is She WEaring Hud when you see something you like. Or just exploring around shops.

some other stores to recommend: Belle Epoque, Ecru Couture, Well Made, spectacledchic, mimikri, AsteroidBox, The Secret Store,  Rowne , RKKN, S@bbia, Riot,

• Like 5

On 6/18/2022 at 11:17 PM, MillyWH said:

Someone suggested Flickr and that's great, so is looking through a blog feed or even just going out and around SL and using the What is She WEaring Hud when you see something you like. Or just exploring around shops.

This reminds me of another store I found out about by using What Is She Wearing: Lux Aeterna! They have some modest and elegant styles with sort of a 1920s-1930s era look.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.