1 second Orb timing, is it necessary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not sure what the problem with those ban lines is, assuming the water wasn't navigable in the first place.

Me, I'd hide the ban lines. Not sure why you'd want to look at them.

You'd only see them when you get close anyway, most of the time you don't need to hide them even.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"I'm mad because I can't drive my boat right here." Very critical, must drive boat right there! 

Well, clearly, if the ban lines and/or orb aren't impeding progress, then it's not so much of an issue. In this instance, they are definitely pushing the traffic far to one side of the channel, and probably catching boaters unaware.

It's just . . . unnecessary.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, clearly, if the ban lines and/or orb aren't impeding progress, then it's not so much of an issue. In this instance, they are definitely pushing the traffic far to one side of the channel, and probably catching boaters unaware.

I assume it's too hard to politely ask the landowners to change their orb setting. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Beyond makes an ok vegetarian jerky.

I am willing to try that, but nothing beats actual beef jerky. But I also enjoy both beyond and real meat sausage patties. Although they do really add the spices into the vegetarian sausage patties. But they are more filling than an actual sausage patty. I can give it that. 

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I mean if you can't really pass right there, then there are other ways you can go. It is only limiting cause they refuse to turn around and find other ways. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I assume it's too hard to politely ask the landowners to change their orb setting. 

Why would you assume that? That's probably exactly what I would do.

And they might very well respond by fixing it! This is why I specified "knowingly" and "unnecessarily."

Someone who fixed it upon request would not merely NOT be a jerk -- they'd gain my admiration and appreciation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I mean it is so much harder to ask the orb owner to politely change their settings properly, that they need to have LL to enforce some rules on us. Lol 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean if you can't really pass right there, then there are other ways you can go. It is only limiting cause they refuse to turn around and find other ways. 

This is a little like someone who is blocking the entrance into a grocery store telling you that there is another entrance further down that they can use.

They're being a jerk.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is a little like someone who is blocking the entrance into a grocery store telling you that there is another entrance further down that they can use.

They're being a jerk.

Well common sense dictates, if that person is not moving and in your way. You go to another entrance and go in. 

Just now, Gabriele Graves said:

I am curious whether people feel the same way when they are sailing on Linden protected public land and encounter these security measures as they do if they are sailing a waterway where there is no Linden protected public land and encounter the same.

Personally, I'd say that does make a difference. I don't have an expectation of free passage, at least at ground level, through someone's land.

And I'd admire someone who didn't need to permit it, doing so.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Well common sense dictates, if that person is not moving and in your way. You go to another entrance and go in. 

Rather than kick them?

Yes, common sense is not to get into a fight about it.

They're a jerk.

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Oh my, I'm afraid to lookup "codswallop" so I looked up "coxswain" instead.  By happy coincidence, that person may captain a "shallop". Close enough!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxswain

But yeah, some of us (Me! I.e., "Royal We") don't have a "real life" so forum stuffs help fill an empty, empty existence.

D3E71AF4-F9E7-4271-8DBD-5C03FAC7DF9C.jpeg.036282dbb96ec7ac61070a49ac2a8dff.jpeg

Nothing wrong with the word codswallop. I thought I was the only person in the US that still used that particular British slang word. It means nonsense.

image.png.4bd8409275115a439a1fca7fb0177f82.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Rather than kick them?

Yes, common sense is not to get into a fight about it.

They're a jerk.

Well if you come on my line where I have put my orb settings at, then common sense dictates I gotta get you away. But also if you step too close, that is entirely your fault. Especially since i like to leave up signs telling people if you are too close you go home. 

• Like 1

I really think I've said as much as I want to on this subject. I'll just repeat:

You have the "right" to be a jerk.

Or the ability and the option to be a courteous and/or generous member of the community.

I find people's choice when it comes to this to be illuminating.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go boating. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Why would you assume that? That's probably exactly what I would do.

6 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean it is so much harder to ask the orb owner to politely change their settings properly, that they need to have LL to enforce some rules on us. Lol 

It's more fun to complain!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.