how many residents Second Life has right now?

Antimma

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Antimma There are people who have registered and may or may not be active in SL. Also, there are many of us that have multiple accounts. The Lab stopped publishing information in 2009 or 10 that would allow people to figure out what's happening with SL. Now they only rarely tell us how the SL World is doing economically. Ebbe used to brag about those numbers. I miss him.

The Lab used to provide the number of signups via an API. So anyone could see how many signed up from the last time they checked until a current check. That API stopped working in December 2020 as the Lab moved SL to the cloud. While it was working I was tracking signups per month. Through 2019 and 2020 the average was about 307,000/mo.

There is an API that allows us to see how many people are currently logged in. Firestorm uses it to show current users on the splash screen of their viewer. I use the API to find the peak and minimum concurrent users per month.

About 2008 or 9 I was seeing the peak concurrent users hitting 80k and above. Along about 2011 and 12 there was a lot of discussion about whether there was an SL season, meaning more people logged on in winter and fewer in summer. There were Yes and No sides in the debate. In 2012 I started tracking peak users per month as the No side was saying THEIR stats showed no seasonal use pattern. My personal experience was different. After 10 years of tracking I can see a definite pattern. The peak of peaks is in February. The low is consistently in August. There are years when that is not the case and 2020 the Pandemic year is one case. The difference is about 4,500 users. I suspect California surfers account for the difference...

May of 2014 is the last time I saw concurrent users go over 60k. Since then SL has concurrent users peaking in the >50k to <60k range.

I have never found what I consider solid information on the average time a user spends in SL. I do know from my tracking that an average of 85 people per minute sign in while Something like 185 per minute sign out... which is way questionable in the face of peak and minimum users numbers. There are a number of reasons the sign out numbers get funky. I have seen nearly 40k people sign out, according the numbers I track, when the SL system goes down. That trashes my averages.

If the average users session is 2-hours and the average concurrent login count is 40k (using an approximated number from goofy concurrent minimums) that gives us something like 480,000 unique users per day. But, that is a very ROUGH approximation. I suspect it the real number is higher.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

that gives us something like 480,000 unique users per day. But, that is a very ROUGH approximation. I suspect it the real number is higher.

Or lower. Quite a few of the accounts signed in are scripted agents, although I don't know how many. And maybe we should count all those Tiny Empire players in with the bots as well.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Or lower. Quite a few of the accounts signed in are scripted agents, although I don't know how many. And maybe we should count all those Tiny Empire players in with the bots as well.

I went to a club that was advertising in the Employment section to check it out.  When I got there, there were about 15+ bots on a platform plus the owner in the club.  So, multiply those 15+ by the number of clubs that do that and I'd have to agree with you.  The numbers are probably lower for actual residents logged in during one day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I went to a club that was advertising in the Employment section to check it out.  When I got there, there were about 15+ bots on a platform plus the owner in the club.  So, multiply those 15+ by the number of clubs that do that and I'd have to agree with you.  The numbers are probably lower for actual residents logged in during one day.

i never see bots anywhere... u go to strange places!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Sailing say Blake Sea you'll find them standing around on the ocean floor... 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Myntz Mysterious said:

Sailing say Blake Sea you'll find them standing around on the ocean floor... 😄 

I used to live in the Fruit Island and we always had a bunch standing out in the middle of the water near our section.  I think they may have put an end to that.  I rez in at the Blake sea when my region is down or I want a quiet place for inventory to load.  Startled me one day when I rez into a bunch of bots standing around an otherwise emply place.  Spoooooky.

• Haha 3

I had my rez day yesterday, and got this a Happy Rez Day message from Linden Lab with the following information:

Here's what you've achieved in the past year*:

Your Milestones
Average Resident
Region(s) visited
Regions visited
Teleport(s)
Teleports

31 day(s)
Longest streak logged in
3 days
Longest streak logged in

( Yeah, that's pretty much all I've achieved in the past year. )

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

The Lab used to provide the number of signups via an API. So anyone could see how many signed up from the last time they checked until a current check. That API stopped working in December 2020 as the Lab moved SL to the cloud. While it was working I was tracking signups per month. Through 2019 and 2020 the average was about 307,000/mo.

atm: It is working (again)

* count over last month is nearly 200k "new" signups

• Thanks 1

SL is international remember and people need to sleep , so i reckon the number of living breathing users is about 1000 on a good day .

A sim is about ready to crash if it gets 25 active users all at once ,  so if you can find 40 sims with over 25 active people in the same hour , then tell me i'm wrong .

Edited by cunomar
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

go open world map and start to jump to sim with grren dot.

i did this method at my first 2 months here.

plenty afk, some are hidden maybe at skybox or idk.

line up dot etc.

thanks friend :)

They still had around 60k premium subs in 2020.. There is probably a bunch more of the basic accounts as well..

It would probably have to take a really hard turn south  to be at 2 or 3 k in total.

I would think if they were at 2 or 3k  members, we'd already be shut down..  that many aren't owning all the land in SL and just putting bots on it for nobody else to show up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Try looking at how many Linden Homes are in a LH region. How many of those are owned by someone. Now how many Linden Home regions are open and occupied. Multiply those 3 numbers. Now do this same equation for the old Linden Home regions. Add these 2 numbers together.

That's not even how many people are paying for Premium, because many people own islands or mainland. Count how many islands there are and add that number to your other 2 numbers. Since we don't know how many people own mainland, let's assume just as many own mainland parcels as people who own islands, so add that number again.

Now you have a very rough estimate of the number of Premium subscribers. Do you think we can assume 10 times as many people play as Basic? Maybe 9 times as many?

Multiply that number you have by 10 as a rough estimate of how many people play regularly in SL.

Even if you don't actually go and count all those occupied Linden Homes, owned islands and mainland regions, just trying to do a fraction of this calculation will show far more than a few thousand paying players.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

best way is to see how many place you can find life avatar (not afk, alts, bot),to  interact.how many club with actual visitor.

in SL not many. and people keep tell you lie . that SL is still alive

Whether people are actively in SL or not, the number of people paying $100/ year or more to Linden Lab is a valuable number. Money is what keeps a company solvent.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.