how many residents Second Life has right now?

Antimma

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:35 AM, Antimma said:

how many residents Second Life has right now?

I use this old script in the infohub which the Lindens used to hand out and which evidently works as it is the same as the Soft Hyena site. And that shows 30,000 or 40,000 -- maybe 50,000 if there is some big event or a long holiday but most nights it's between 30,000 and 40,000 from what I see. It's a shame the Lindens no longer release these statistics or economic statistics, i.e. how many premium members. They do this so that the media and competitors can't disparage them. But they'd actually shine by contrast with much larger platforms that don't enable their users to make cash.

• Thanks 1

Irony is i imagine SL will grow because of rather than in spite of Faceache and Gates wanting in on the act .  These numpties believe in a world without walls where every meal and bowel movement should be published , and then use this data to decide what car you don't want but they might sell you .

Anonymity will win .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh no this old trope again ...

Go look at http://www.gridsurvey.com/ (the DB seems to be struggling today)

Completely ignoring Linden owned land inc Belli, There are, at time of posting (24 Apr 2022), 18394 privately owned regions (55.5% full, 43.9% HS). This region count is tracked externally and isn't dependent on LL publishing trustworthy stats.

You can see all these regions on https://maps.secondlife.com/ and visit most of them in person.

A full region is $229 a month, homestead $109.

This is not being paid for by a couple thousand users or "bots".

Personal perceptions of SL being "empty" or full of "bots" is incorrect, the money doesn't lie.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Oh but don't any of you know/understand?

If there aren't people available for these types to "interact" with, when they want/demand it ... why, there simply must not be that many actual users online and the rest must be bots (or something)!

I'm a bot.  That is all.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I use this old script in the infohub which the Lindens used to hand out and which evidently works as it is the same as the Soft Hyena site. And that shows 30,000 or 40,000 -- maybe 50,000 if there is some big event or a long holiday but most nights it's between 30,000 and 40,000 from what I see. It's a shame the Lindens no longer release these statistics or economic statistics, i.e. how many premium members. They do this so that the media and competitors can't disparage them. But they'd actually shine by contrast with much larger platforms that don't enable their users to make cash.

7 hours ago, Tamraen Dryke said:

Using Phoenix Firestorm browser, the pre-login screen shows the number of users currently logged in.  It's usually around 40k, roughly.

In both cases you see the current number when you look. I modified a script to track the concurrent logins through the day recording max and min. I record those values for the month.

As one might expect, the numbers go up over the weekend. Monday to Friday the peak is in the 40's. Weekends will see peaks in the 50's.

Peak use is about 2 to 3 PM SLT. Twelve hours later we see the minimums.

Those of us that have been around for a time will go into massively popular events at 2 or 3 AM SLT so we can make it in relatively quickly. It has to be something pretty special for me to be until 2 or 3 in my morning.

As of today the high for April is >53k.

image.png.14f17764722796d8480201d319c0594f.png

• Thanks 1

So using the info provided on this thread there are 66k users sharing 54k regions and a full region costs $229 a month which is roughly what i spend on cigarettes , or my phone bill , or fuel for my car .

12 regions short of solitude for every user 😆

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cunomar said:

So using the info provided on this thread there are 66k users sharing 54k regions and a full region costs $229 a month which is roughly what i spend on cigarettes , or my phone bill , or fuel for my car .

Boy, is this messed up. Okay, let's see now...

You imply that it's only the online users actually paying for SL's regions. But the number of regions does not go up and down depending on how many users are on line. There are a great many users, many of whom are paying for land, who are NOT on line at any given time.

There are not 54,000 regions. There are 27,509 (Grid Survey, as of Apr 24 2022).

Not all of the regions are Full regions costing $229 per month. Many are Full regions, but are grandfathered. The current rate for these is $179 per month. Many are Homesteads, and many are legacy OpenSpace regions, both of which cost less per month.

There are not 66,000 users. That's the peak number of concurrent users in a particular month. There is no good way to determine the actual number of unique, active users. There are millions of registered accounts, but many are inactive, many are alts of active users, and some are scripted agents (bots). Some accounts log in once a month or less, while some are on line 24/7.

Even using your figures, we aren't "12 regions short", we'd need another 12,000 to allow every user to be alone on their own region.

And my final point: If you are spending the same amount on cigarettes that you are on communications or fuel, it's really time to quit smoking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, cunomar said:

For April 2022 Grid Survey is showing 27,509 total regions. (Ref)  Where did you get the number 54,000 regions?

• Like 1

My mistake i added the "total" , linden and private regions . 

So if i give up my car which is mostly a hobby , my phone which i hate , and smoking coz i'm bored i could own maybe 5 regions then . In the uk 50g of golden virginia cost about £30 or at todays rate according to google about $38 .

6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If he switched to vaping and bought a brand new manual transmission small "city" car (30+mpg), even with the additional monthly payment, he'd be better off after gas and healthier.

OT - I've yet to meet someone who saved money by switching to vaping instead of smoking, but maybe that's because they were doing cannabis instead of tobacco? Also, there's no proof that vaping is healthier than smoking.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Also, there's no proof that vaping is healthier than smoking.

And no proof that is isn't.

I have to admit that when I see some kid exhale a dense cloud of vapor three times his own volume, I do wonder about it. On the other hand, we know the contents of tobacco smoke (all those hundreds of carcinogenic compounds), and we know that e-cigarette vapor contains none of those. It's logical to assume that therefore vapor is much less harmful than smoke, although there is little concrete evidence in the form of long term human studies to support that assumption.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yikes. 

For me that would be a hell of a lot of smoking or talking or driving.

In Canada one 20 pack of just a budget brand costs over $10 per which for a pack a day smoker equates to $300 per month. More regular or premium brands, one is looking at up to $15 per 20 pack or $450 per month. Vaping is definitely the cheaper and healthier way to go but misinformation on vaping keeps quite a few from taking that route.

https://costfindercanada.com/cigarette-prices-in-canada/

Edited by Arielle Popstar
spelling

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

In Canada one 20 pack of just a budget brand costs over $10 per which for a pack a day smoker equates to $300 per month. More regular or premium brands, one is looking at up to $15 per 20 pack or $450 per month. Vaping is definitely the cheaper and healthier way to go but misinformation on vaping keeps quite a few from taking that route.

https://costfindercanada.com/cigarette-prices-in-canada/

Wow - glad I quit smoking over a decade ago.

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

its also far easier to chain vape sat at a desk

Well, yes. Like Lil, I quit cigarettes several years ago. I did it by switching to vaping, and then very gradually reducing the nicotine content of my vape liquid. I've gotten down to zero. But I do find that I vape all the time when I'm at my computer...and nowhere else. I'll be pretty much forced to quit completely when my current supply of liquid runs out, because the government put the company I bought it from out of business, and nobody else carries a flavor I care to switch to.

Of course I'm a creature of habit! What do you think smoking is!?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.