Why does it matter?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a little strange in that I love to shop and will buy all sorts of clothes simply because they look really great and are well made or have some defining feature that I like, but I've always felt more comfortable dressing my avatar in the same way I dress IRL, i.e. baggy, scruffy, comfortable clothes. I'll most often wear the same style of clothing all the time (I probably use about 10% of my wardrobe at most).

scruffy.thumb.JPG.1d058852f38e258813f4f06855044d11.JPG

Unfortunately I can't really attest to whether this makes any real difference to how often I'm the recipient of "unwanted attention" since I also spend about 90% of my time in SL alone on a platform and for anyone to actually see my avatar they'd have to teleport to an otherwise empty sim and fly a few thousand meters into the air. 😅

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

sick puppy.jpg

Ooooof this thread... 

In regards to the OP. I would of blocked them once they started demanding voice or claiming what my gender is... And my list of blocked avatars is extensive! 

I dress how I want for photos or RP or whatever. I appreciate compliments when given about how my avatar looks specially with the time I put into her to come up with the look at times.

But once I feel lines have been crossed or someone has started to become obnoxious they get blocked... 😐

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I saw you agree with this @entity0x.  Perhaps it's all you men in female avatars dressing sexy that give other men the idea we ALL want to be hit on?

I agreed that many men use female avatars. Again this is very common for MMO, RPG type games , and Second Life due to the customizing of avatars is most likely the same.

Not that I run into this problem myself - my presence in SL is to build, create, sell and explore worlds. But back in the day on many games it was common to find out men exploiting other men by dressing as female characters - so some of us want to know - Now we're hiding gender from each other too now?

Men are going to react to a sexy lady, and they are going to do so. It's a fact of reality and how you and I came into existence - because a man found a woman attractive and wanted to have children with her.

All  you are seeing playing out here is normal biological imperatives - and for most males advertising your sexuality or appearing sexually available is going to get them to react to you.

Why this is such a surprise to many here, and they want to make it an issue and want to not face reality is beyond me.

Edited by entity0x
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, entity0x said:

I agreed that many men use female avatars. Again this is very common for MMO, RPG type games , and Second Life due to the customizing of avatars is most likely the same.

Men are going to react to a sexy lady, and they are going to do so. It's a fact of reality and how you and I came into existence - because a man found a woman attractive and wanted to have children with her.

All  you are seeing playing out here is normal biological imperatives - and for most males advertising your sexuality or appearing sexually available is going to get them to react to you.

Why this is such a surprise to many here, and they want to make it an issue and want to not face reality is beyond me.

Please just stop... 😒

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

In case you didn't realize it, a collar doesn't mean a person is up for grabs to anyone who's attracted to them. It generally means they are not available for such.

And BIMBO really expresses that sentiment, doesn't it ? 

Edited by Solo Alpha
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Only if you're so insecure you hand out collars with the word OWNED on them.

I have no desire for collars and avoid any woman wearing those. Especially with the word BIMBO on them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, entity0x said:

Not that I run into this problem myself - my presence in SL is to build, create, sell and explore worlds. But back in the day on many games it was common to find out men exploiting other men by dressing as female characters - so some of us want to know - Now we're hiding gender from each other too now?

I think it's sad that you think everyone is either a wolf or a sheep...and that half the sheep are actually wolves in sheep's clothing. 

Do you have any RL female friends or relatives? Maybe you should ask their opinions on these matters?

When we continue the narrative that women are "asking for it" by not being completely covered in public, we're making the world they live in more hostile and more restrictive for them than it needs to be.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, entity0x said:

I can understand people being sensitive about others misrepresenting their gender when involved in a relationship, being lied to by someone you're close to is always painful, but I'm not sure how that equates to "exploitation".  If you're just having a conversation with someone why does their gender even matter?

17 minutes ago, entity0x said:

I'm pretty sure my parents didn't conceive me by bumping pixels in a virtual world. :P 

I understand what you're saying about biological imperatives but your viewpoint seems a little cynical.  if people can't even control their primal urge to breed when sitting alone in front of a PC talking to others in Second Life then it means we're all essentially slaves to our instincts, and I just don't think that's true.

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

I think it's sad that you think everyone is either a wolf or a sheep...and that half the sheep are actually wolves in sheep's clothing. 

Do you have any RL female friends or relatives? Maybe you should ask their opinions on these matters?

When we continue the narrative that women as "asking for it" by not being completely covered in public, we're making the world they live in more hostile and more restrictive for them than it needs to be.

Keep misrepresenting other people, thats what you and others here do the best. Good luck to you and 'saving the world' one tale of woe at a time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, entity0x said:

Keep misrepresenting other people, thats what you and others here do the best. Good luck to you and 'saving the world' one tale of woe at a time.

21 minutes ago, entity0x said:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, entity0x said:

I'm glad to see you understand that an avatar does not necessarily reflect the real person behind it. Since you understand this, you should also understand why it's preferable to get to know the people behind their avatars as people - their thoughts and feelings - rather than as either a warm hole or a  meat stick. Also, no matter what their RL sex might be, they might have absolutely no interest in you (or any other particular person) in any romantic or sexual sense. Trying to get to know someone in a virtual game setting doesn't mean you need to know their RL gender. It's not your business for the most part, unless *both of you*  acknowledge that you're interested in a more intimate relationship.

The idea that everyone has a biological imperative to have sex and reproduce is kind of silly, but even if it were true at some time in our distant past, people have long since evolved past the inability to control their lustful urges at the sight of bare flesh. Are you saying that men can't control themselves when they see a cartoon female showing bare legs and cleavage? What? They can't help but become some kind of cartoon caveman that wants to bop them over the head with a club and drag them back to their cave?

Second Life is a virtual world with cartoon avatars, but most of us understand that there are real people with real feelings behind these avatars, who expect to be treated with a little politeness and respect. I don't ask people I meet in SL what their RL gender is. I don't ask them how old they are, if they're physically in shape, if they're handicapped, how much money they make, etc., because these things don't matter to me in a virtual world. I will ask them what time zone they're in and what their interests are, but even this won't be the first thing I say to them. I'm probably just going to say Hello, first.

If some RL guys in SL can't help but get aroused by seeing a female avatar, and then can't help but act like idiots because they're aroused, then perhaps these guys are why there are still so many AFK Adult places in SL? - I suggest that instead of treating female avatars as NPC prostitutes in a game of GTA, these guys should imagine their Mom playing that sexy female avatar. That's probably a pretty good representation of how most of us look in RL.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, entity0x said:

Again, missing the entire point of my post.

Newsflash...no one is procreating in SL.  Finding a woman attractive and starting a chat with her is entirely different than blatant sexual advances on a stranger.  What part of that are you not understanding?  Or are you just that misogynistic?  

Do you approach a woman in RL and immediately ask her if she'd like to have sex?  Scratch that.  You probably do since you seem to think men have no self control when they see a sexy woman.  Nothing much alpha about a man who lacks control of himself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JuliaFina said:

It's always been a thing in multiplayer online games. Men will ask for help in a huge MMO and crickets. He deletes his male avatar, makes a female, gets not only help instantly, gets handed gold and weapons and whatever. If playing a female avatar in a game has some benefit, some men will "exploit" that "edge" in the game by pretending to be female themselves.

Been playing MMO's for decades. That's not how that works.

Polite & patient avatars get help. Jerks get no heals.

Girls play buff male characters for all the same reasons guys play girls.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.