Why Is No One Complaining About the Sales Tax?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not making any changes until I see what the various charges will look like on my credit card. I have some annuals, some quarterlies, and a monthly or two which post throughout the year. Factoring into any decisions, Super Ppremium, whatever that is, may play a role. I wouldn't mind upscaling a low-stipend avi or two if the value is there.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:38 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

Rather, my question is why is no one complaining about how it is done, and how they have taken a hit from it. No one is saying "I have to downsize" or "my business is now slower because all these people have to pay this tax now". 

I am indeed from Europe and i am used to everything being taxed. it is a cost i take into account with every purchase i make. In my country we see a lot of those taxes being put to work. So that's probably the reason i do not complain and never have. I looked at renting a sim from LL versus getting one inworld and decided that renting inworld at a slightly higher price is more beneficiary. I take the MP tax and tax on my premium account as a fact of life, pay it and go on with my life. 

I think fussing over paying taxes is a very American thing also fueled by the fact that you don't really see a lot of benefits in return for those taxes. Examples: In many states the infrastructure is poor and education is mediocre at best.

Edited by Jules Catlyn
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Crim Mip said:

Have they actually been charging tax? I only ask because the same amount was pulled from my Tillia balance as has been for my land tier. No tax seems to have been added on and I don't live in a sales tax free state.

Since March 31, when the change was to take effect, I've been billed for premium and for land, with no taxes added to either bill. 

8 hours ago, Crim Mip said:

Have they actually been charging tax? I only ask because the same amount was pulled from my Tillia balance as has been for my land tier. No tax seems to have been added on and I don't live in a sales tax free state.

While your state might charge sales tax on various purchases, it might not consider SL Land Tier to be a taxable product.  Some states do not tax digital goods at all, and other states have varying definitions of which digital goods are to be taxed.

Side note -- due to some system issue, the tax didn't actually start being collected until Monday, April 4th.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jules Catlyn said:

I am indeed from Europe and i am used to everything being taxed. it is a cost i take into account with every purchase i make. In my country we see a lot of those taxes being put to work. So that's probably the reason i do not complain and never have. I looked at renting a sim from LL versus getting one inworld and decided that renting inworld at a slightly higher price is more beneficiary. I take the MP tax and tax on my premium account as a fact of life, pay it and go on with my life. 

I think fussing over paying taxes is a very American thing also fueled by the fact that you don't really see a lot of benefits in return for those taxes. Examples: In many states the infrastructure is poor and education is mediocre at best.

So can you take in more refugees in Europe?

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Crim Mip said:

It has on mine, although I've read that in NYS, digital goods like music downloads aren't taxed. But this is essentially server space.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.